RCI Transfers from LHR to Southampton Port costs?

asctony

Just talked with my TA and she informed us that RCI wants to charge $100.00 (USD) per person for a transfer from Heathrow, London (LHR) to the pier in Southampton and then another $100.00 per person from Southampton to LHR. This is extremely high when you compare this to other cruises lines and what they are charging for the same trip. I called RCI Customer Service and they told me that I cannot get a transfer until 2 weeks before our cruise?

Anyone have any experience with this? Thank you!

asctony: As I recall, when we looked at this 3 years ago for our Jewel TA, RCL was charging $85-95 pp then (don't recall the exact cost as we ended up staying in London pre-cruise and using other transportation to the port). Not sure what other lines are charging for this service, but be aware that this is about a 1.5 hour bus ride to Southampton.

Bruce

Public transport (coach) is much cheaper but you have luggage to lug about so you might not want that . You can also search for hire cars etc which will also be a better deal. Look on the UK forum or Trip Advisor for specific recommendations there is also a very comprehensive guide at London toolkit.com (I tried posting the link and couldn't) and it even gives you the option to visit Stonehenge on the way.

I wonder why RCI says you have to wait so near the date - it encourages you to look elsewhere.

Make sure that you allow loads of time to get to the airport.

Thank you all for your quick response. Using public transportation such as train or bus would be too much as we are 4 with a lot of luggage (8 29" cases and 4 20" carry-ons.) I will try Woodford and any other suggestions you may recommend. Thank you again!

Public transport (coach) is much cheaper but you have luggage to lug about so you might not want that . You can also search for hire cars etc which will also be a better deal. Look on the UK forum or Trip Advisor for specific recommendations there is also a very comprehensive guide at London toolkit.com (I tried posting the link and couldn't) and it even gives you the option to visit Stonehenge on the way.

I wonder why RCI says you have to wait so near the date - it encourages you to look elsewhere.

Make sure that you allow loads of time to get to the airport.

If you just provide the name of the company I can Google it. Thank you!

Thank you all for your quick response. Using public transportation such as train or bus would be too much as we are 4 with a lot of luggage (8 29" cases and 4 20" carry-ons.) I will try Woodford and any other suggestions you may recommend. Thank you again!

When you call and talk with then, make sure that you tell them exactly how much luggage you all have.

That's not too much luggage. Check out National Express bus lines. They are super efficient and super cheap. We went for about $4 per person to Southampton, and then another $5 for the cab to the port.

Have you traveled with this luggage before? We are generally close to 50 pounds in a 24 inch suitcase. What airline are you planning on using? Most airlines have quite substantial fees for any bag over 50 pounds, and you will also likely pay to check a second suitcase. Bags over 70 pounds have to be shipped as freight. Some airlines to LHR limit carry-on bags to no more than 6kg (13 pounds). If you are not careful your baggage charges will cost more than RCI transfers.

Thom

Have you traveled with this luggage before? We are generally close to 50 pounds in a 24 inch suitcase. What airline are you planning on using? Most airlines have quite substantial fees for any bag over 50 pounds, and you will also likely pay to check a second suitcase. Bags over 70 pounds have to be shipped as freight. Some airlines to LHR limit carry-on bags to no more than 6kg (13 pounds). If you are not careful your baggage charges will cost more than RCI transfers.

Thom

Thank you for your info. Yes, we have traveled many times overseas. Examples:

Baltics, SEA, South Pacific, Med and South America with these bags. We have traveled via air using NWA, Delta, Luthansa. With Delta if it is overseas you are allowed 1 bag per person free plus 2 carry ons. So, thus we would pay for the second bag.

This is why I do not understand why people say they cannot dress formal on a cruise due to airline costs. JMHO!

Princess Cruise Lines only charges $49.00 per person to do the same transfers as we have already purchased them.

Thank you for your info.....
Sounds like you are fully aware. I realize that you asked about transfers and not luggage, but I just didn't want you to be caught by surprise. Thirty years ago we were next in line at the airport in Fiji behind someone who was having to pay US$800 to get his luggage to Australia [and looking at the same fees back to the US] since he did not realize that even though he had left the US with an allowance of two 70 pound bags, elsewhere he was limited to 20kg [44 pounds] total before excess charges kicked in.

ENJOY your cruise.

Thom

Sounds like you are fully aware. I realize that you asked about transfers and not luggage, but I just didn't want you to be caught by surprise. Thirty years ago we were next in line at the airport in Fiji behind someone who was having to pay US$800 to get his luggage to Australia [and looking at the same fees back to the US] since he did not realize that even though he had left the US with an allowance of two 70 pound bags, elsewhere he was limited to 20kg [44 pounds] total before excess charges kicked in.

ENJOY your cruise.

Thom

Thank you again for your concern. People like you make this a great forum! Have a Great Day!!

A taxi picked up from the taxi rank where the ship docks will cost you £115 from Southampton to Heathrow.

As has been suggested already you would be better off pre-booking one though. A mercedes 7/8 seater mini van should take care of the luggage.

A quick look on google and I came up with four seasons cars. They are quoting £95 each way. They are based in Southampton and would be able to pick you up from Heathrow or your hotel in London to get down to the cruise.

They will be very familiar with people in your situation. If you have huge amounts of luggage there are even taxi firms who use people carriers with a trailer attached. As a guide to size Mercedes and Volkswagen produce the best suited vehicles for your needs. An MPV such as a Ford Galaxy may be a bit too small.

The RCI fare is very expensive indeed and even as a last resort there are always loads of taxis available. You will never have to wait more than a couple of minutes at Southampton.

I hope that helps.

Henry :)

Archived