Noordam St. Lucia Question (Castries to Soufriere)

makai 7

We will be on the Noordam in March, stopping in St. Lucia.

Has anyone booked a private tour starting in Castries and ending in Soufriere? I am a little concerned about the fact that the ship leaves Castries at 3pm and is in Soufriere from 5-6.

It doesn't seem to leave a lot of time to get back on board if I take a full day private tour.

I'd like to know of anyone else's experience with this.

Thanks!

Has anyone booked a private tour starting in Castries and ending in Soufriere? I am a little concerned about the fact that the ship leaves Castries at 3pm and is in Soufriere from 5-6.

It doesn't seem to leave a lot of time to get back on board if I take a full day private tour.

Thanks!

Just be aware that Soufriere is a tender port, specifically to pick up passengers who are on all-day excursions...

...so best be there at or even before 5pm to make certain that you get a space on a boat!

Thanks!

CC member Fishbabe posted a recent Noordam review. She says that the roads to Soufriere are still blocked due to hurricane damage. All tours return to Castries until the roads are cleared.

Thanks!

On my previous cruises, only HAL sponsored tours were picked up in Soufriere -- you should check this before you book any private tours. (Similar to the situation in the Panama Canal - where you can only tender if you are on a HAL tour)

We were on the Noordam in Dec 2010, and took a private Serenity (they advertise here) land tour, roundtrip Castries. We went through Soufriere briefly. We saw so much on the island, and just adored the tour--it was one of the top things we have ever done on any vacation, ever. I think about it every couple of days, even now!

They said the week before, they'd had a couple from a HAL ship who requested (by calling HAL before embarking) the ability to be picked up in Soufriere with the HAL tour passengers, and HAL obliged them.

Wonder if it was the catamaran tour or the over ground? If over ground, I would be happy to hear they've cleared the roads enough to be able to get through. It is so tragic the damage these islands suffer from the hurricanes.

Hopefully it was the overground but hard to know.

, they'd had a couple from a HAL ship who requested (by calling HAL before embarking) the ability to be picked up in Soufriere with the HAL tour passengers, and HAL obliged them.

we raised this option [ castries to soufriere on our own ] with hal last summer [ long before the h'cane wreck the roads ] and were given the green light ..............i made it clear i would clear this on board so as not to monkey wrench the "all on board " count .......of course we did not take this option in dec on noordam because ship did not anchor off souf. as no tours ended there [ given the road washouts we would have nixed it anyway because the local residents who were going to entertain us had transport issues ] ..................

in sum, i would not do it without the blessing of the powers at be [ at least a 3 striper ] on board no matter what uncle seattle said !!!

We asked our TA to contact HAL to find out what the official answer is...

We are planning a private tour with Serenity, and they are very flexible about the schedule and ending in either port, depending on what the answer from HAL is.

Hopefully we can ask the captain directly at the meet and greet, if not, I'll make the request to discuss it with him.

I LOVE these boards!

Archived