staying in touch with each other on ship

sarahtar

I'm wondering what is the best way to stay in touch with those I'm traveling with on board. I am thinking that every day, one of us will take a break with the 2 year old back in our cabin, hopefully a nap, but at least some down time, but then we'll want to hook back up with the rest of the family afterwards. I'm also picturing her throwing a fit at dinner, my making a quick escape with her, and then needing to communicate with dh about my plans - are we coming back, are we headed to the cabin, am I going to get something to eat somewhere else, etc.

Obviously we can come up with plans in the event we can't communicate with each other, but it would also be easier if we CAN. We've come to rely pretty heavily on texting each other.

I will be talking to Verizon about international data (and then we can text via Facebook chat, not regular texting), but have read on here that the service might be spotty, particularly while at sea, which is when I'm anticipating having the highest need.

Are FRS two-way radios the best option? I mean, clearly NOT at dinner... but other times? It seems a little clunky to cart our FRS radios around with us.

Any other options I am not thinking about?

I'm wondering what is the best way to stay in touch with those I'm traveling with on board. I am thinking that every day, one of us will take a break with the 2 year old back in our cabin, hopefully a nap, but at least some down time, but then we'll want to hook back up with the rest of the family afterwards. I'm also picturing her throwing a fit at dinner, my making a quick escape with her, and then needing to communicate with dh about my plans - are we coming back, are we headed to the cabin, am I going to get something to eat somewhere else, etc.

Obviously we can come up with plans in the event we can't communicate with each other, but it would also be easier if we CAN. We've come to rely pretty heavily on texting each other.

I will be talking to Verizon about international data (and then we can text via Facebook chat, not regular texting), but have read on here that the service might be spotty, particularly while at sea, which is when I'm anticipating having the highest need.

Are FRS two-way radios the best option? I mean, clearly NOT at dinner... but other times? It seems a little clunky to cart our FRS radios around with us.

Any other options I am not thinking about?

My DH and I use radios. We use them as minimally and as quietly as possible so as to not disturb other PAX.

We have also used radios and they can be very helpful. The one problem that we experience on one of our cruises on Adventure was that several families were using them and they were having the most ridiculous conversations on their radios. They were not using them just to "find" each other. It was hard to find a channel that others were not using to just chat and it got to be so annoying that I often times ended up just turning the radio off which, of course, defeats the purpose of carrying one around in the first place.

We have also used radios and they can be very helpful. The one problem that we experience on one of our cruises on Adventure was that several families were using them and they were having the most ridiculous conversations on their radios. They were not using them just to "find" each other. It was hard to find a channel that others were not using to just chat and it got to be so annoying that I often times ended up just turning the radio off which, of course, defeats the purpose of carrying one around in the first place.

Fine tune the frequency. I think there's a few "main" frequencies like 1,2, 3, etc. but then fine tune it to like 2.24 and you should be able to get a private frequency

We use the Midland GXT635's and they work great on and off the ship. We keep are conversations short and do our best not to annoy other passengers around us. You can use as many sets of walkie talkies as you want with hundreds of combinations of channels.

Fine tune the frequency. I think there's a few "main" frequencies like 1,2, 3, etc. but then fine tune it to like 2.24 and you should be able to get a private frequency

We have General Mobile Radio Services (GMRS) radios. Is there a way to do that?

When we had our grandchildren with us, we rented the dect phones on the ship. They're the same ones the crew uses and they give you a dedicated number so there's no interference. I think they're around $25 each for the week. Would definitely recommend them.

Here's the link on the Royal Caribbean website http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000UeUHQjDJV3DJ6dvAUmnkB5x:15lbbpnkd?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Life+Onboard&faqId=2717&faqSubjectId=334&faqType=faq

When we had our grandchildren with us, we rented the dect phones on the ship. They're the same ones the crew uses and they give you a dedicated number so there's no interference. I think they're around $25 each for the week. Would definitely recommend them.

sweet tidbit. I did not know that.

Archived