Do you think we need to take casual jacket?

suebubbles

My hubby has packed for our cruise next weekend he has packed his tux along with his other clothes he is just on 23kg he is unsure as to weather he needs to pack a casual jacket for semi formal nights or will he be ok in long sleeve shirts and a tie? thanks in advance :confused:

We're leaving for the airport in a few hours for our Panama Canal cruise and my DH has not packed a jacket. He's got his DJ for formal nights and will just wear a long sleeved shirt for the other nights. Don't forget your caribbean shirt for tropical night.

Ann

We're leaving for the airport in a few hours for our Panama Canal cruise and my DH has not packed a jacket. He's got his DJ for formal nights and will just wear a long sleeved shirt for the other nights. Don't forget your caribbean shirt for tropical night.

Ann

Thanks for that he has his caribbean shirt packed (cant miss it) :D

Also any ideas what ladies wear on tropical night am i right in thinking a bright colour wrap flipflops flower in my hair any ideas please??

The only theme night that is followed on board is the formal one Black and White night/ball /gala night.

The others are themes for the entertainments team use to create a show etc for that night its not fancy dress.. BUT on the island night many do wear their brightest clothes to join in the deck party etc... men often wear the hawaiian shirts etc

Hubby is wearing his jacket for the semi-formal night on the plane it does seem a lot of fuss for 2 nights out of 14 but after reports of someone being asked to leave a bar on Semi-formal night for not wearing a jacket i'm not going to take the risk!

Officially yes you need a jacket, in reality on the Azura cruise they did not enforce it, yes we heard rumours people had been asked to leave but in our experience nothing was done. There were people wandering about on Formal nights in just a shirt & trousers or even jeans.

Hi,

I was just nosing through threads and noticed this one. If we are aware that we should wear jackets shouldn't we respect the ship's rules?

If you didn't know then fair enough but if you do you can hardly be surprised when asked to leave. It's just to create a nice atmosphere plus it looks nice when everybody is cleaned up.

Glenn.

Glenn

I so agree with you.

On Azura they requested every day on the newsletter that after 6pm the attire for the evening be adhered to in the public bars and dining rooms.

The notice for jackets was shown on the plasma screens and also at the entrance to the dining rooms.

In fairness P&O are not always clear with their pre-cruise instructions and if anyone truthfully did not know then I am sure they can be excused but to say the rules were not enforced is terrible.

Passengers should not need to be reminded - they are adults who have made a decision to join the cruise knowing the expectations and should be able to conform or quite simply choose another holiday or a more relaxed cruise line.

The trouble IS they don't uphold their own rules & once people realise this then those who don't wish to dress as requested just don't bother. Whilst most did stick to the rules there were a few who didn't, & nothing was said to anyone that I saw.

A fellow diner was "lent" a jacket by the restaurant manager on semi-formal night becuase he had forgotten his jacket, he'd left it in his cabin.

This reminds me of years ago in the 1970s, when nightclubs required men to wear ties. The landlord of our town centre local, Jim, had this hideous tie which he had been given but had never worn. He kept it behind the bar and would loan it to anyone who wanted to go to the nearby nightclub and was not wearing a tie. The doormen knew it well and would welcome it and its wearer to the club despite its hideousness, as the requirement to wear a tie had been met. Just like you will be welcomed into a P&O dining room or bar in any jacket and tie, however scruffy, but may be refused entry if immaculately dressed but not wearing the magic garments.

Oddly dress codes are not about looking nice, smart or fashionalble they are about dressing to a requirement. A bit like a themed party where they ask for, I don't know, "James Bond"? someone turns up as a Red Indian (sorry "native American") as it looked nice.

Oddly dress codes are not about looking nice, smart or fashionalble they are about dressing to a requirement. A bit like a themed party where they ask for, I don't know, "James Bond"? someone turns up as a Red Indian (sorry "native American") as it looked nice.

Of course it's about looking nice. Everyone dressed in evening attire looks great. I'm afraid your Native American is craving attention lol.

Of course it's about looking nice. Everyone dressed in evening attire looks great. I'm afraid your Native American is craving attention lol.

Of course people in evening dress look lovely, but some seem to think that looking smart is the same as being in formal dress, or someoone looking pretty smooth in expensive casual clothes is more acceptable on a formal night that someone in a slightly unkept DJ, they probably do LOOK better but do not conform to code.

My hubby has packed for our cruise next weekend he has packed his tux along with his other clothes he is just on 23kg he is unsure as to weather he needs to pack a casual jacket for semi formal nights or will he be ok in long sleeve shirts and a tie? thanks in advance :confused:

Hi Sue

Packed already!!?? - he's eager. As for jacket you did not say which ship you are on. We are on Ventura next week 11th Feb and they say 4 formal and 10 smart casual. Hubby is taking his tux and a jacket just incase its needed for casual evenings but is hoping a shirt and tie will suffice. Like many have said, I love seeing everyone dressed up in the evening and doesn't take much to scrub up well. I actually think the people who don't bother wished they had as they are in the minority.

Chris

Hi Chris (Cruisesnooze)

We're just back from Ventura, 10 smart casual nights and 4 formal nights. Definitely no jacket required for smart casual nights, most men wore open necked shirt or polo shirt with casual trousers. 99% wore Tux for formal night, the other 1% wore a lounge suit. For the Caribbean night most people bought caribbean shirts or the ladies bought dresses on St Maarten for US$10 although all the islands sell them. They also sell the shirts on board but a little more expensive

Al

Why is there the big different bewteen Azura and Ventura - we are joining Azura this weekend and we have 4 formal, 2 semi-formal and 10 smart casual so how come you guys on Ventura get away with not having any semi-formal nights :confused:

Why is there the big different bewteen Azura and Ventura - we are joining Azura this weekend and we have 4 formal, 2 semi-formal and 10 smart casual so how come you guys on Ventura get away with not having any semi-formal nights :confused:

Because whilst being physically nearly twins, Ventura and Azura are aimed at diferent market sectors. Ventura is aimed at the new emerging market and has dress codes similar to those operated by Princess, Celebrity, Royal Carib etc. ie, mainly casual with a small number of formal. Azura is aimed at P&Os historical clientele who like Aurora etc and a higher degree of formality, so she has semi-formal instead of some of the casual nights. As they say, you pays your money and takes your choice. I love Ventura, but have no desire whatsoever to sail on Azura.

I guess travel agents are just out to make money but that's not how Azura was "sold" to us.

Oh well we've got 2 weeks in the sun so we're going to make the most of it and only after that will we know if the ship was right for us or not!

I guess travel agents are just out to make money but that's not how Azura was "sold" to us.

Oh well we've got 2 weeks in the sun so we're going to make the most of it and only after that will we know if the ship was right for us or not!

Clare,

I have been on 7 P&O ships all marketed differently. On these boards and others people go on an on about one ship being so much different from the others. If you will pardon the expression cob****!!.

The experience is very similar, the staff are the same, the food is the same, as is the entertainment. The ships themselves have different layouts..

At any one time there is a ship that gets stick.:confused: Usually the newest. I have seen this happen to Arcadia, Ventura and now Azura. Funnily enough the first 2 are now well liked if we believe the latest popularity poll.

The only possible thing that could be happening is that the crew are settling in and those who do not fit the bill are not yet weeded out.

Go on your cruise with an open mind and you will have a great time.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Wholeheartedly agree with Dai on this, we have been on most of 'em too, food same, ents. the same(exactly the same to be honest), staff the same. Azura is fine don't worry, but like anything don't "over expect" people will overdo the praise as well as the criticism.

I agree too. Have been on all the present fleet, including Azura twice, and would happily sail on Azura again. My reviews have been positive about Azura.

My 1st cruise was on Arcadia which was getting stick at the time for being too contemporary and having no atrium, she was about a year old thenm but I loved her modern design and relaxing child free cruising.

Enjoy, and make your own mind up

;)

Archived