Transportation in Papeete

artbcpa

I have seen several posts about the best transportation company in Moorea, but none about Papeete. We are arriving on the 5:30 AM flight from LAX and have booked a room that morning at the Intercontinental. What is the best way to get there or is it close enough to walk with all our luggage?

We also need transportation to the ship sometime around 3:00PM.

I heard the taxis were outrageous; so is there a transportation company someone has used that they would recommend?

You will need a taxi in both places. They are just fine - I have never found them outrageous. If you need transport from the hotel to the ship tell the reception at the time of check in and then remind them an hour before - it takes a while to get a taxi sometimes.

You will need Polynesian currency.

Have never needed XPFs for taxis in French Polynesia -- the rate will likely be flat (not metered) and make sure to agree before loading into cab (be clear that it's in total not per person); the IC is fairly close to the airport. Have not found taxis to be exceptionally expensive.

Everything in FP is high (in the local grocery in BoraBora, eggs were $1.00 .... EACH); a cheeseburger and fries could set you back $24.00 in your Papeete hotel. Bring extra batteries and twice the sunblock as you think will need as these are expensive as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Having just completed our Paul Gauguin sailing I would like to clarify the taxi situation in Papeete. While there were plenty of taxis available when the ship arrived at the end of our voyage, the same could not be said for when we arrived at 5:30 AM on Air Tahiti Nui overnight flight.

We were seated near the rear of the airplane. By the time we got off the plane there were NO TAXIS anywhere around. It took us over an hour to get to our hotel for the day, not fun when you are arriving at that time of the morning.

I STRONGLY recommend making transportation arrangements if you have not booked it as part of the package with the Paul Gauguin.

Archived