Amsterdam Cabin Question

OJ46

I have a question about the Dolphin and Main Decks. What are the spaces, that look like rooms, that are behind the elevators? Their doorways face the hallways where the cabins are. I am just wondering if the cabins across of these little rooms are a good or bad choice. One set of these rooms on the main deck, forward, are labeled as restrooms. The rest are not labeled, but do show doorways. Thanks for any help you can give me.

If the spaces you're referring to have cabin numbers, then they are cabins; if no number, they are not cabins. I don't know exactly what areas you mean, though.

I do know that I love a particular cabin on Main Deck on the R-class ships. It abutts the mid-ship staircase, two passageways, and a steward passageway. It's quiet there, and a great location.

I have a question about the Dolphin and Main Decks. What are the spaces, that look like rooms, that are behind the elevators?

The rest are not labeled, but do show doorways.

In general, unlabeled white space is crew living or work area.

We like having a cabin across from or near a steward's supply room because they often notice when we leave the room and just pop in to tidy up etc, so we often get service multiple times a day. Others don't like the annoyance of hearing the steward coming and going frequently, or talking to each other.

If the spaces you're referring to have cabin numbers, then they are cabins; if no number, they are not cabins. I don't know exactly what areas you mean, though.

I do know that I love a particular cabin on Main Deck on the R-class ships. It abutts the mid-ship staircase, two passageways, and a steward passageway. It's quiet there, and a great location.

No cabin numbers. Just small white areas that appear to have a doorway. From other responses it sounds like storage rooms. I was just wondering if these are noisy cabins. The cruise I am looking at is pretty picked over, but some of these cabins are available, so I was wondering if they were a good choice. Some of the cabins I was referring to are F1829, E1883, E1898.

http://book.hollandamerica.com/fleet/deckPlan.do?ship=am&deck=d&year=next

Some of the cabins I was referring to are F1829, E1883, E1898.

I looked at the deckplans. Those all look like steward workrooms to me. One would be the linen closet, and the other would have a sink, and other equipment. Usually the stewards are in cabins, and they keep the doors to their workrooms closed.

I'm pretty picky about my cabins, and would be fine with E1883 and E1898.

Although they have crew areas nearby, and those *can* be a bit noisy, I've not found it a big problem. Usually the crew are very considerate in early mornings. I like being near stairs/elevators (no long halls, easy to find your cabin) and haven't had noise problems there.

I'd prefer the E's midship location to the F forward one, unless there was a ton of price difference.

I'm pretty picky about my cabins, and would be fine with E1883 and E1898.

Although they have crew areas nearby, and those *can* be a bit noisy, I've not found it a big problem. Usually the crew are very considerate in early mornings. I like being near stairs/elevators (no long halls, easy to find your cabin) and haven't had noise problems there.

I'd prefer the E's midship location to the F forward one, unless there was a ton of price difference.

Patricia is right. Listen to her. ;)

Thank you, that makes me feel good about these cabins. Yes, I would also prefer midship. I don't care if I am near elevators, as I do like the exercise, I just didn't want a really noisy area. Sounds like any of these will be fine. Thanks for the input.

I snoozed and I lost the cabin I was most interested in. We are now looking at insides. Any opinions on the following:

J3357 (wondering if it is too close to the stairs? we like that it is midship as we are prone to motionsickness. We also like that it would have easy access to the promenade deck)

K3401 ( seems like a quieter location, but maybe too far in the back for our motionsickness tendencies.)

M1860 (seems like a quiet location, although not as midsihp as I would like, plus no easy access to a deck.)

I have only cruised in midship oceanviews, so wanting some info on how to choose an inside.

Thanks, OJ

http://book.hollandamerica.com/fleet/deckPlan.do?ship=am&deck=lp&year=next

J3357 (wondering if it is too close to the stairs? we like that it is midship as we are prone to motionsickness. We also like that it would have easy access to the promenade deck)

Just down the passageway from where I've been bunking the last few cruises. And will be again in a couple of weeks. :D

Very nice cabin. Excellent location.

I recently spent 69 days on Deck 3. While I was quite far forward, my impression was that all the inner corridors were very quiet. Very little traffic.

The best part about a cabin on the LP was that I could be out on deck in seconds at any time of day or night (I had the biggest verandah on the ship). If you like to hang around outside, an LP cabin is very convenient for that (as in pour room service coffee at 6am and go outside; return for the bathroom and a coffee refill, get my sunglasses, etc.)

I wouldn't want to be anyplace else.

Thanks all, for your input. I feel much better about this choice. I am beginning to think it might be better than an OV on the dolphin or main decks. Like you say, it would just be a close walk to the biggest verandah on the ship. ;) Now, I just need to get it booked before it is gone. I have been holding off to hear from some excursion operators, because if I can't get what I want, I would wait until next year. Thanks again.

I decided to book and hopefully will hear back from the excursion operator I am most interested in before the 72 hours I can cancel without a fee. (They have been good about answering my emails, so I am hoping they will confirm there is still availability)

Since there were no midship OVs available on the Dolphin Deck, we went ahead with the recommendations here and booked the J3357. Earlier in this thread I had asked about E1883.

I booked with an online agency and then after about an hour checked the HAL website. The reservation looks correct except for the cabin. Instead of assigning me the J3357, they assigned us E1885. Can this be?

We had written in our notes on our online reservation that we did not want any upgrades. (afraid of getting something too far forward). I am going to call tomorrow and see if we can actually keep this cabin for the price we paid for the inside. I had gotten excited about the promenade deck, but the idea of window is appealing too.

Is this weird or not? Perhaps an error that will be corrected. Or an early upgrade? What do you all think?

That's OUR cabin! We were in it in August and would book again in a heartbeat. The size is nice. It was quiet but I must admit we could hear chairs moved as pinnacle was cleaned. The sounds were not loud and sounded a bit like creaking or a very small critter in the attic and only lasted a few minutes. We hang out on LP and 6 forward so the location was superb.

~TC

That's OUR cabin! We were in it in August and would book again in a heartbeat. The size is nice. It was quiet but I must admit we could hear chairs moved as pinnacle was cleaned. The sounds were not loud and sounded a bit like creaking or a very small critter in the attic and only lasted a few minutes. We hang out on LP and 6 forward so the location was superb.~TC

Thanks for the headsup. I was not sure about a windowless cabin. My first cruise was with an ocean view and we liked it very much. Our second cruise we had an obstructed ocean view which was okay. The thought of no window is a bit concerning, but I think we will be fine with the promenade just steps away. Thanks again for taking the time to give your take on this cabin.

I decided to book and hopefully will hear back from the excursion operator I am most interested in before the 72 hours I can cancel without a fee. (They have been good about answering my emails, so I am hoping they will confirm there is still availability)

Since there were no midship OVs available on the Dolphin Deck, we went ahead with the recommendations here and booked the J3357. Earlier in this thread I had asked about E1883.

I booked with an online agency and then after about an hour checked the HAL website. The reservation looks correct except for the cabin. Instead of assigning me the J3357, they assigned us E1885. Can this be?

We had written in our notes on our online reservation that we did not want any upgrades. (afraid of getting something too far forward). I am going to call tomorrow and see if we can actually keep this cabin for the price we paid for the inside. I had gotten excited about the promenade deck, but the idea of window is appealing too.

Is this weird or not? Perhaps an error that will be corrected. Or an early upgrade? What do you all think?

If interested, I thought I would update my "situation." Turns out an agency I emailed on Sunday asking about availability of an E cabin on the Dolphin Deck went ahead and put a hold on the cabin for me. (Found this out when the agency I did book with called HAL after I noticed the booking showed a different agency name which I didn't notice last night.) I never heard back from the agency I emailed on Sunday, so was oblivious to the fact anyone had put a hold on a cabin for me. This morning, while I was speaking with someone from this agency that held a cabin for me, I noticed an email pop up from this company. It said that they just realized their Monday emails never went out and were resending them. However, when I read the email that was sent, it did not say they put a hold on it. They just said an E cabin on the dolphin deck was available and to call them to confirm. This is only my third cruise and perhaps I don't know the ins and outs of all this, but I never expected someone to hold a cabin for me without letting me know. Anyway, all is good with the world now. Thanks to everyone who offered help with cabin selections. I know that either would be fine for me. They both have their pluses. The Es on the Dolphin deck would have a window, which I like, but the J will be so close to the promenade, which I think we will like. If not, we won't cruise insides again. I know we could try to get our TA to upgrade, but at this point, we like the lower price, so I think we will stick with it. Thanks again and Happy Sailing to all of you on your future cruises.

• 1 month later...
Hi

Planning on taking the Amsterdam to Alaska on June 10. I am waiting on my friend for the go ahead. So is this a list of bad cabins or good cabins. We probably be doing a inside.

now looking for a good online travel agent

Mary

If I was booking an inside on Amsterdam, I'd stay away from the forward (front) NN's/N's and the aft (back) MM's on Dolphin deck; the very most forward and aft L's on Main deck; and I probably wouldn't be willing to pay extra for the I's on the highest decks.

I'd prefer a midship M on Dolphin deck, a K (or even the rest of the L's) on Main, or J on Lower Prom. I'd try to find something near the middle of the ship, neither far forward nor far aft.

If I simply HAD to buy a guarantee, where the cruise line picked my cabin and I couldn't pick my own (and check the box "DO NOT UPGRADE") I'd probably pick a K guarantee.....then hope and pray I wasn't "upgraded" to a loser outside cabin like H, G, or my personal least favourite, a dreadful aft FF on Dolphin deck.

Hi Patricia, Did we make a mistake? We are booked for a 70 day cruise in cabin F1933. We usually have a verandah, but this is a cost saving choice. Bev

Your Amsterdam cabin is fine. I've sailed before in EE1918 (same size as your room) which is on the same deck you are on. I like the layout of the room having the back of the bed up against the window. It makes the room feel larger since your living space is the first thing you enter rather than having to go around the bed.

I'm booked in DA2550 (one deck up from you are) for a 70day trip in September. I prefer no balcony when traveling in hot areas of the world simply because the stateroom stays cooler.

Ron

Hi Patricia, Did we make a mistake? We are booked for a 70 day cruise in cabin F1933. We usually have a verandah, but this is a cost saving choice. Bev

Not at all! It's the doubleF, FF, I consider a problem. F1933 is a great choice on Amsterdam, IMO. Of course, I'm only a self-appointed "expert" :rolleyes: and there are others here with many more days on HAL/first hand experience. But, I spend a lot of time picking cabins.

Does anyone know what the spaces next to J1043 is on the Oosterdam?They ae tiny narrow spaces and figure maybe they are a storage area for supplies.If so,hope it is not too noisy.

The Main Deck inside J's are the hidden gem cabins on Oosterdam and the other Vistas. One poster here - who normally cruises on 6* lines like Regent - reported his J made him very happy, and he was glad he hadn't booked a suite!

I think you're right those white areas are storage. If you have a noise problem, it's more likely to be traffic in the hall or families with kids, since the J's hold 4 passengers. (See posts above about how courteous the stewards/crew are.)

Unless there's another Main J you can switch to easily (no fee, no loss of your dining choice), leave that reservation alone!

Does anyone know what the spaces next to J1043 is on the Oosterdam?They ae tiny narrow spaces and figure maybe they are a storage area for supplies.If so,hope it is not too noisy.
My guess is that they're supply storage, but since they appear to have a door at each end they may be passageways to the interior area. Or both.

Archived