Thoughts on our Westerdam 1/21/11 cruise

swscruiser

This is not a review but general thoughts our recent HAL cruise experience.

Embarkation-Total breeze. We were in group 11. From check-in to on the ship 25 minutes.

Crew- Still the friendliest in the industry.

Food- Lido buffet very good. Dining Room OK only ate 3 times since the menu did not sound good the other nights.

Entertainment- Did not attend shows

Activities- Nothing offered that had any physical activity required. Changed from several years ago.

Fellow Passengers- I knew the demographics skew older, and were not surprised that the average age was probably 75-80. I am 55. But, I have never seen so many rude people in one place in my life. I do not remember hearing anyone say please, thank you or excuse me. I was taught to say please and thank you. I felt really bad for the staff When you said please and thank youto the staff you got an even bigger smile than normal. Also, butting in line on the Lido, not just to get roll or something, but to order a full entree etc. I know that the other passengers behavior should not impact the enjoyement of your cruise, but poor behavior was so universal that you could not ignore it. It was so bad that if I held an elevator door etc. for someone and they did not say thanks, I would say your welcome to them anyway and they would look at me like I was nuts.

Debarkation- Who likes to have to get off? But it was very smooth

Keith

Thanks for the info we leave 2/4 on the Westy. I understand about the people and their attitude. They forgot to read sarcasm is not included in their fare. These are the same people who write reviews where nothing goes right and they have a terrible time. Well Daaaaaaa. They need to Relax and treat others as people not servants

I too have noticed that lately manners have seem to have slipped out the back door. You would think that the older generation would still have some. I am 50 and there is no way that I wouldn't use my manners. I am glad you had a good trip not withstanding that issue.

Perhaps these very rude people have delusions of grandeur?

They probably think that staff/servants should not be seen or heard and so are invisible and not requiring any manners:mad::(:(

I totally agree. The Crew are hard working people and deserve respect. I have also noticed a loss of good manners among all generations. We are an older couple, and find that a smile and thank you, even if not reciprocated, gives us personal satisfaction. Barb.:)

It was so bad that if I held an elevator door etc. for someone and they did not say thanks, I would say your welcome to them anyway and they would look at me like I was nuts.

Keith, So glad to learn I'm not alone in this. I'm a gray haired older lady. I've always thought that you should be aware if someone is about to follow you through a door, and to hold it open for them. If they say thanks I smile, maybe wish them a good day. If they act like I owe it to them, I sing out a "You're welcome" in a loud cheery voice. Keeps me from getting grumpy about it and maybe makes them think a little.

Keith, I am sure it would have been a better cruise if I had been able to join Shelly and yourself. I am hoping next time I will be on the boat (whichever it may be) with the both of you. I will say my last cruise with Carnival was not the best, but it was the staff that could have went to a manners class. Glad the two of you are back, give me a call soon with all the details.

I was on the same cruise and did not notice the lack of manners. I guess it's because nothing will compare to a 10-day cruise I had on the Volendam a few years ago -- even the CD admitted to me that the passengers were "a challenge."

The Westerdam is a big ship, so I guess I didn't run into the same people you did! :)

I didn't find the MDR menus terribly interesting, but we did eat there every night but one. The Lido was great, and we were even able to find seats at lunchtime!

The crew is the best!

This is not a review but general thoughts our recent HAL cruise experience.

Embarkation-Total breeze. We were in group 11. From check-in to on the ship 25 minutes.

Crew- Still the friendliest in the industry.

Food- Lido buffet very good. Dining Room OK only ate 3 times since the menu did not sound good the other nights.

Entertainment- Did not attend shows

Activities- Nothing offered that had any physical activity required. Changed from several years ago.

Fellow Passengers- I knew the demographics skew older, and were not surprised that the average age was probably 75-80. I am 55. But, I have never seen so many rude people in one place in my life. I do not remember hearing anyone say please, thank you or excuse me. I was taught to say please and thank you. I felt really bad for the staff When you said please and thank youto the staff you got an even bigger smile than normal. Also, butting in line on the Lido, not just to get roll or something, but to order a full entree etc. I know that the other passengers behavior should not impact the enjoyement of your cruise, but poor behavior was so universal that you could not ignore it. It was so bad that if I held an elevator door etc. for someone and they did not say thanks, I would say your welcome to them anyway and they would look at me like I was nuts.

Debarkation- Who likes to have to get off? But it was very smooth

Keith

Thanks for the info.

Don't worry about the cranky old raisin's.:(

There is no reason for bad manners at any age.:mad:

Keith, I am sure it would have been a better cruise if I had been able to join Shelly and yourself. I am hoping next time I will be on the boat (whichever it may be) with the both of you. I will say my last cruise with Carnival was not the best, but it was the staff that could have went to a manners class. Glad the two of you are back, give me a call soon with all the details.

Hi Terri,:)

It would have been a much better cruise had you joined us. Aruba & Curacao are beautiful. We need to cruise together next year, lets plan. Will call you. FYI we got 24 1/2" of snow today, so not much is happening outside. Talk to you soon.

Keith

Hi, I enjoyed your cruise report as we are sailing on that ship next week. I have a question though. Our itinerary states we will be in St Martin between 7am and 3pm.

Will this be the same as island time, or will there be a time differce?

Thank you

Archived