This is why we fly in a day early!

arf2005

I think the bottom line is to start watching the weather a week out. Our friend was to be flying to Punta Cana last week on a Wednesday. It looked like we might be hit with possible weather - which we were - longest commute in history here in the DC area. So....based on the 'possibility' she paid extra to have the flight changed to the day before for half the leg (connector in Miami) and booked a hotel overnight. She did this on a Saturday - so 5 days before she was to fly. If she had waited a day or two before she probably wouldn't have gotten it - you'll find that lots of people are changing their flights around the last minute when the weather is in question.

That being said....if all bets were off and I could do neither and I was in driving distance (meaning I could start driving now and get out of town and to the port before the ship left) I would do it.

DH and I generally drive if the cruise leaves on a Saturday - we will drive overnight Thursday to get there Friday morning.

Bottom line is to make sure you have trip insurance.

Not to hijack the thread but this is also why people drive great distances instead of flying in (plus saving $:D).

You should still drive in the day before if more then a few hours drive however.

That would be wonderful in an ideal world; however, driving from IA to Tampa in these conditions wouldn't get us much farther. As it is, we are driving up to Minneapolis a day ahead to get on a flight a day ahead of our embarkation on the Inspiration, so theoretically, we are planning 2 days ahead of time. It just stinks how the weather has affected everyone this year.

I'm still praying to the weather gods that this storm passes and we don't get any for next week, which is when we travel.

Not to hijack the thread but this is also why people drive great distances instead of flying in (plus saving $:D).

You should still drive in the day before if more then a few hours drive however.

That would be wonderful in an ideal world; however, driving from northern IA (almost the MN border) to Tampa in these conditions wouldn't get us much farther. As it is, we are driving up to Minneapolis a day ahead to get on a flight a day ahead of our embarkation on the Inspiration, so theoretically, we are planning 2 days ahead of time. It just stinks how the weather has affected everyone this year.

I'm still praying to the weather gods that this storm passes and we don't get any for next week, which is when we travel.

That's why are driving to Mobile Saturday for our cruise on Monday. Plus DH wants to scope out a spot to watch the Superbowl ;)

I see u are in olathe! we are in prairie village, i work in lenexa... well, my work was closed today! you should be clear for your drive this weekend though! roads are bead right now!

Right now they are saying 30% chance of snow on Sunday and Monday in the KC area - let's hope that's one they get wrong and we get some warm weather and sunshine!

I see u are in olathe! we are in prairie village, i work in lenexa... well, my work was closed today! you should be clear for your drive this weekend though! roads are bead right now!

LOL, both DH and I work in OP. Working from home today. It's just nasty out. I am so glad we are driving - don't know what kind of an impact this will have on the airports - or for how long. My daughter is at Pitt State and the hospital there is already having food issues. Not good.

Right now they are saying 30% chance of snow on Sunday and Monday in the KC area - let's hope that's one they get wrong and we get some warm weather and sunshine!

Thank god I will be outa Dodge by then LOL!!:p We sail Monday. I am so over snow.:rolleyes:

I usually travel in April or September/October, and even then I leave at least one day early and plan on enjoying a relaxing afternoon/evening in my departure port. If I were to travel during winter months, I would plan on two or even three days in advance, and just figure those days in as part of my vacation. I know it costs more, but I would be sooooo really disappointed to miss my cruise because of weather, and my parents left here last February a day before their cruise and got caught up in NYC area airports during one of these storms, and didnt get to Florida in time for their cruise, and then when they tried to book a flight back home, they couldnt get one out of NYC for two days. I would be soooo *&^%! JMHO.

I am from CT and I do not fly from December to Mid March but when I fly to Florida it is a direct flight even if you do fly in the day before and make a connection things can happen-lost luggage,etc a direct flight is the way to go.

Gary

I agree with flying in early.... but coming from So. CA we don't get snow delays unless we are flying into an airport where is it snowing... We still always fly in a day early to avoid any potential issues.....good luck everyone and safe travels.

With the time difference, flying from the west coast to the east coast even on a "red eye" won't guarantee you get you there on time before the ship leaves. We did that once and swore never to chance it ever again. We might not get snow but plenty of fog (all year round). Does anyone not have weather issues:eek:

Coming from San Francisco and flying east give me a plethora of flight options. Unfortunately too many of them have connections in Denver, Chicago, NYC. I will pay more or even fly at the least-liked flight times to avoid these connections so that if we have to connect, they will be in places like Phoenix, Dallas, or Atlanta. There is no guarantee with these either, as we all know, but I feel like I am stacking the odds in our favor. Those who say they choose driving instead of flying wouldn't "safely" get to port in the weather that is going across the states today and tomorrow.

Flying in a day early when you have a bad storm that affects half the country still might not be enough. That's why we don't fly in the winter. Your chances would be better to drive yet, you must remember that the Southern states don't have much snow clearing equipment so roads and highways can be a problem too. Winter travel is much more risky than summer travel.

Archived