Jet Lag From East Coast

charlielinda

Hi! We'll be leaving the East Coast at 6:00 a.m. and going through Chicago and arriving in Anchorage at 1:15 p.m. Hopefully I'll sleep on the plane but wondering how badly my body clock will be off. We are planning on having dinner about 7:30 p.m. and we are off at 9:00 a.m. to go to Whittier on our own for a PWS cruise.

Will I want to walk around Anchorage or visit a Museum on the afternoon I arrive? I think the next day won't be too hard -- train to Whittier, cruise on the Sound and train back -- a long day but long very active.

Any thoughts?

Hi! We'll be leaving the East Coast at 6:00 a.m. and going through Chicago and arriving in Anchorage at 1:15 p.m. Hopefully I'll sleep on the plane but wondering how badly my body clock will be off. We are planning on having dinner about 7:30 p.m. and we are off at 9:00 a.m. to go to Whittier on our own for a PWS cruise.

Will I want to walk around Anchorage or visit a Museum on the afternoon I arrive? I think the next day won't be too hard -- train to Whittier, cruise on the Sound and train back -- a long day but long very active.

Any thoughts?

Boy, you're lucky that you're leaving the East Coast at 6 a.m. I'm usually out of Anchorage on a red eye (so I'm looking at leaving here anywhere from midnight to 2 a.m.) so I'm dealing with gaining time and not being able to sleep on planes.

Guess a good question to gauge it what time do you usually go to bed at home. So if you're not used to staying up to 11:30 you might want to make your dinner reservations earlier.

Actually, I also find it best that you should stay up as long as you can the first night. And you'll probably wake up the next morning on your regular schedule, so I'd say by the second night you are going to be a bit tired. But by the next night you'll be on a better schedule, unless all the sunlight messes you up :D

But I see with you just taking a morning flight and getting here at 1:15, that you'll have no problem getting out and seeing downtown Anchorage or the Museum.

Susan in Anchorage :)

Any thoughts?

I travel from Florida to Anchorage 1-2 times each year. Without a doubt, traveling east to west is easier than west to east. By departing at 6 AM, you will probably be getting up well before 4 AM. So, if I were you, I would (and I always do) is take a Benedryl on the plane to make sure I sleep some. At night, in Anchorage, I try to go to bed as early as possible since it is 4 hours later than the east coast clock I am still on. I may or may not take another Benedryl or an Ambien to help reset my internal clock.

Many cruise passengers arrive in Anchorage all worn out. Do all of your packing up to and including loading your car before you go to bed the night before departure. Don't stay up late rushing around with last minute details.

Stay hydrated on your flights and don't drink alcohol. Sleep when you can on the flights.

Use your own eye shades as not all planes provide them and use them when in Alaska. Get used to wearing eye shades while still at home. They make a world of difference.

Hi! We'll be leaving the East Coast at 6:00 a.m. and going through Chicago and arriving in Anchorage at 1:15 p.m. Hopefully I'll sleep on the plane but wondering how badly my body clock will be off.

Any thoughts?

oh, poor baby!!..try flying from Australia to Los Angeles and then onto Vancouver all in one go!!

and then return Anchorage...LA..AUSTRALIA

you will cope, that's nothing to be concerned about....wish ours was that easy!!

oh, poor baby!!..try flying from Australia to Los Angeles and then onto Vancouver all in one go!!

and then return Anchorage...LA..AUSTRALIA

I know what you mean. In May, I flew DRW-SYD-LAX. Then 2 days later, on to MCO. Talk about major jet lag.

Last May we flew out of BOS at 6: AM to Dullas, onto Seattle and arrived in ANC mid afternoon. It was not the best flight schedule and as always, we never seem to get much sleep the night prior to the trip, left the house at 3:15 AM, ugh. With all the pre-trip anxiety, I could have used a martini or two, but stuck with lots of water during the flight which for me seems to help minimize jet lag and feeling punchy from lack of sleep. Luckily, we had a few hours in Seattle between connections, and found a nice place to have a relaxing meal.

Once we arrived in ANC, picked up a car and headed to our hotel. Quick shower and then we drove downtown, and dropped by Snow Gooose for appetizers and drinks. We were back at the hotel by 9: PM and quickly fell asleep. The limited hours of darkness probably screwed me up more than the flight!

I rarely sleep on flights, never use any sleep medications because I always feel worse if I take anything.

Don't worry, it's your vacation. Have a wonderful trip.

Darcy

Guess a good question to gauge it what time do you usually go to bed at home. So if you're not used to staying up to 11:30 you might want to make your dinner reservations earlier.

Actually, I also find it best that you should stay up as long as you can the first night.

I too find that is the key. Adjust to the time zone you are going to as soon as possible.

At night, in Anchorage, I try to go to bed as early as possible since it is 4 hours later than the east coast clock I am still on.

Different strokes for different folks, but in all my time zone changes (to/from Europe, Asia, Alaska, Australia, Africa and several trips a year) I agree much more with AKSusan. You want to adjust as quickly as possible to the new time zone and for most people going to bed early because you "feel" tired is not the way to conquer jet lag. But be active - sitting in the hotel room will be conducive to falling asleep earlier than you should.

I know what you mean. In May, I flew DRW-SYD-LAX. Then 2 days later, on to MCO. Talk about major jet lag.

I flew to Cambodia (a full 12 hour time difference) from the US for 3 nights then back to the US. No jet lag to speak of. Travel in economy class both directions. But I work hard at conquering jetlag from the start.

We flew from FLL to Anchorage.It wasn't the time change that bothered us as much as the sunlight.On our 5 day land tour I think we might have gotten a total of 15 hours sleep.The first night in Anchorage we went to bed after midnight and kept waking up every 45 minutes or so thinking it was morning.We were up and decided to take a walk @6:30 down to Cook Inlet.Fairbanks we were Hot Air Ballooning at midnight.

Two years ago we did East coast to Hawaii. I was fine the first two days, but I crashed and burned on the third. I think I slept for 12 hours that night. After that, I was fine.

Most suggestions are that you take cat naps on the plane. It makes good sense...

• 3 weeks later...

Any thoughts?

We did NH to BWI to Seattle to Fairbanks. 7:00am to I think 9:30 pm. Big layover in Seattle. I don't sleep on planes, but watch and photograph a lot. Hubby reads and sleeps. WOW! Great Lakes, Mid west farm patterns, turquoise glacier lakes, mountain ranges, Mt. Hood, etc. then the fiords, and Alaska mountains and glaciers you fly over. Sleep? not me! On arriving, we walked all over where we were staying, checking out the area. The flowers!!! Reviewed our plans for the next day, realized what we forgot to pack, then said, "Oh sh___!, it's 12:00, maybe we should go to bed! Closed the curtain, clipped it shut and passed out! Alligator clips held our itinerary during the day and the curtains shut at night. Next morning, up for an early breakfast and out and going. Christmas as an adult!!!

Anchorage has SSOOO much to just walk and see. Parks, trails, views across the water to the mountains, flowers, shops, the river and fishing guys out all hours, good pizza place. Bikes are due back by 10:00pm if you rent and ride. We just made the deadline when we went later in our trip. Saw a rainbow over Anchorage from the trail, after we saw a bunch of seagulls harassing the daylights out of a bald eagle. Just act like the natives and squeeze every little bit out of that daylight.

• 3 weeks later...
Many cruise passengers arrive in Anchorage all worn out. Do all of your packing up to and including loading your car before you go to bed the night before departure. Don't stay up late rushing around with last minute details.

Stay hydrated on your flights and don't drink alcohol. Sleep when you can on the flights.

Use your own eye shades as not all planes provide them and use them when in Alaska. Get used to wearing eye shades while still at home. They make a world of difference.

where can i buy a good pair of eye shades, that are soft and comfortable?

I guess I was just made for traveling. :) I never have any "jet lag". I have been a shift worker for the past 30 years, and that too always suited me well. But I have seen, many times, coworkers, who never did do well on the night shift.

I am fortunate.

I guess I was just made for traveling. :) I never have any "jet lag". I have been a shift worker for the past 30 years, and that too always suited me well. But I have seen, many times, coworkers, who never did do well on the night shift.

I am fortunate.

You are indeed fortunate...I find it bothers me more as I get older.

On a side note, our son is a polysomnologist...he is now in management and usually works days, but does have to, at times, fill in for a night tech or spend weeks on the night shift training someone. I find it ironic that those in the field of helping people with their sleeping problems have to, by the very nature of the job, mess up their own sleep.

Archived