Check your reservations three days before sailing!

PartyAllDaTyme

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but apparently the most likely time that the Upgrade Fairy will strike is three days out. We sail on Saturday, and when I checked our reservation this morning, we had received an upgrade from our aft C1 on Summit to a Sky Suite. Normally, I'd do the Dance of Joy, but we really were looking forward to that nice big balcony and had had our reservation flagged "No upgrades." I called my TA who got it straightened out-- apparently, they did not even have a chance to upgrade someone else into "our" cabin. Celebrity had just made the change-- they were surprised at how fast someone called them on it.

I'm assuming that three days out (Wednesday for a Saturday sailing, Thursday for a Sunday sailing, etc.) would be a critical time, because that's the point that can no longer take additional bookings, right? If some cabins are empty, may as well upgrade people now so they have the maximum time to implement the changes-- no point in waiting to see if someone will book at the last minute if it's past the last minute. Based on this experience, I'd say that you especially want to double check your booking three days out, in case you accidentally receive an unwanted upgrade. This would also likely be the time to see if you received a desirable upgrade.

Please note that you would need to have your booking already flagged for "No upgrades," or you could be stuck with it. Celebrity did agree to put us back where we were, but only after noting that our booking was so flagged.

OTOH, I might be wrong about closing the bookings three days out, and/or it could just be coincidence. Any insights from veteran cruisers would be welcome.

Interesting. Our sailing has been sold out for a while so I doubt there will be any upgrades floating around, but you never know. Friday will be three days out for us...counting the minutes!!!!!!!!

Our 2/6 Solstice sailing has been showing everything sold out except one category of balcony cabins I think, BUT... you never know. The current storm could have impacted travel and some people may get cold feet reading about the Noro outbreak, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that there could be cancellations.

There are always some extra cabins. Often you are told that the ship is sold out. However, if somebody wants to buy a new cabin at top dollar, they will find them a cabin. Hotels do the same thing. This way they put off those people trying to switch or get free/cheap upgrades. On my last cruise, I was told that it was sold out. My cabin steward had 6 empty cabins close to mine. Maybe a group missed the ship. There is always somebody who has to cancel at the last minute. It always happens. I've done it.....broken foot.......and broken hip.

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but apparently the most likely time that the Upgrade Fairy will strike is three days out. We sail on Saturday, and when I checked our reservation this morning, we had received an upgrade from our aft C1 on Summit to a Sky Suite. Normally, I'd do the Dance of Joy, but we really were looking forward to that nice big balcony and had had our reservation flagged "No upgrades." I called my TA who got it straightened out-- apparently, they did not even have a chance to upgrade someone else into "our" cabin. Celebrity had just made the change-- they were surprised at how fast someone called them on it.

I'm assuming that three days out (Wednesday for a Saturday sailing, Thursday for a Sunday sailing, etc.) would be a critical time, because that's the point that can no longer take additional bookings, right? If some cabins are empty, may as well upgrade people now so they have the maximum time to implement the changes-- no point in waiting to see if someone will book at the last minute if it's past the last minute. Based on this experience, I'd say that you especially want to double check your booking three days out, in case you accidentally receive an unwanted upgrade. This would also likely be the time to see if you received a desirable upgrade.

Please note that you would need to have your booking already flagged for "No upgrades," or you could be stuck with it. Celebrity did agree to put us back where we were, but only after noting that our booking was so flagged.

OTOH, I might be wrong about closing the bookings three days out, and/or it could just be coincidence. Any insights from veteran cruisers would be welcome.

Thanks for the advice. I WISH I had your problem...;)

Actually we're doing AQ for the first time - mainly for Blu, so no we don't want an upgrade either...watch I've probably jinked myself

There are always some extra cabins. Often you are told that the ship is sold out. However, if somebody wants to buy a new cabin at top dollar, they will find them a cabin. Hotels do the same thing. This way they put off those people trying to switch or get free/cheap upgrades. On my last cruise, I was told that it was sold out. My cabin steward had 6 empty cabins close to mine. Maybe a group missed the ship. There is always somebody who has to cancel at the last minute. It always happens. I've done it.....broken foot.......and broken hip.

Also, not everyone who misses the ship (for whatever reason) bothers to let the cruise line know they aren't going to make it. We were told to check with Guest Relations after the first port day... that's when they know for sure if "no shows" are catching up or not coming at all. The cabins won't be released until they know the people aren't coming. So... if you really want an upgrade, check it out just before sailing on the first port day. You might get a good deal. You'll have to move... but it might be worth it!

Hotels actually oversell (they would be crazy to intentionally hold back inventory), and if its during a time of very high demand (ex: a hotel near Times Square on New Years Eve) they may oversell by quite a bit. This is because there are always "no shows".

I work in revenue management for a very large hotel company with several hotel brands under our management.

Archived