Trivia Games on Cruiseships

Waswo

I love trivia games. I think I cruise to play the trivia games and I can get worked up over the prospect of winning a mug or a deck of cards like nobody's business.

So...which cruise lines seem to offer the most trivia? I don't really care about the quality of the prizes so much as the competition. I was just on the Celebrity Mercury and enjoyed the trivia so much that I signed up for the Equinox but am now worried that they are phasing out trivia.

I enjoyed the trivia games on the Queen Mary. HAL was more sedate with fewer players and less competition. So on what ship should I book my next cruise? Eager to know!

On our recent HAL cruises -- Ryndam in October and Nieuw Amsterdam in Nov/Dec -- the trivia games were packed. There were at least 10 -12 groups of 5 and 6 people playing every day.

And there was also a musical trivia game many nights in the Piano Bar on the Nieuw Amsterdam -- and some night also a trivia contest in Northern Lights -- and a couple by the pool.

Princess has trivia nearly every day. They seem to always have it around 11am and 4:30pm on sea days. Some CD's do it also on port days. They also have trivia some evenings avout 9:30pm. Fabulous prizes including luggage tags, deck of cards, psuedo gold medals and other things beyond imagination.

As to how it is done. It probably varies by cruise line, but on Princess, you form a team of up to 6 people. A member of the cruise staff reads of (usually) 20 questions. They are mostly general trivia, but sometimes there is a theme. The team agrees on and writes down the answers. When everyone is done, papers are traded and correct answers announced. Team with the most right wins. In case of tie, some will give all winners prizes, other will have a playoff.

On our recent RCI Explorer of the Seas cruise the daily trivia game was just get the sheet, fill it out, turn it in. No "groups" of people playing, but jsut about every evening there was a musical trivia in one of the bars. They'd play a snippet of a song and you had to identify it. For that, there were groups and prizes. Examples: TV show theme songs, broadway musical theme songs, Hits from Motown, Hits from the 70's, movie theme songs ,etc, etc

We have seen games on many cruises and the good games happen when you get a real interested group of passengers. On a recent lengthy HA cruise there was a huge trivia crowd that made the trivia games a major daily social gathering. On some lines the cruise directors could care less about trivia...and whether this stuff is scheduled is totally up to the CD. Unfortunately, on some mass market lines games like Trivia are seen as very "trivial" since they do nothing to contribute to the "bottom line" of the cruise line. These lines (RCI comes to mind) would rather promote (in a big way) things like BINGO which generate revenue.

Hank

I have to say that on my last cruise (CCL) the trivia was one of the low points of the cruise. Half the time, they changed the time/location of trivia from where it said in the Fun Times so I missed it.

My next to last cruise, HAL, had great trivia. I LOVED Name That Tune in the Piano Bar. We won some HAL luggage tags there in fact! :)

My first two cruises were RCCL and if I recall correctly, they had decent trivia.

Thank you everyone. I just got back from the Celebrity Mercury where the trivia games were overflowing. There were at least five a day--9 AM, lunchtime, Name that Tune in the afternoon, another round of trivia at 4 PM, and Opposition Wars (the men against the women) at 4:30. The games were packed and people were competitive and delightfully so. The players numbered anywhere between a minimum of about 30 to some games where I think at least 100 or 125 people played.

Now I see that the Equinox does not do much trivia--only one or two a day at most and was wondering why. Cruise Director Gary Walker says that " “We have gotten away

from some of the more traditional shipboard games. We are really trying to go

in the way of enrichment with our new Celebrity Life program.” (this is a quotation from another board).

Thank you to all who respond. I hope that you can continue to contribute as you have more cruising experience. I really appreciate it.

Apart from first night, P&O ships have a syndicate quiz every night, with the prize being a bottle of wine. On sea days, there is also a men vs. women quiz, plus there are individual quizzes during a cruise. Plus other quizzes as well....

So, if you'd like to try cruising, British style...... :)

VP

VP

Sounds great!

We have been on cruises that had LOTS of people playing or rooting for friends, and one where the only lady that showed up besides DW and I, had to give a history lesson to the poor girl they had assigned to run the game at the last minute.

Archived