Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

Welcome to our group! I'm from Michigan where its cold and I've been to the Caribbean many times, so I've had you a dilemma about how to get out of the car and get onto the plane without freezing to death lol! What we do is leave our winter coat in the car at the airport and we wear a sweater to get into the airport it's easy to pack doesn't take up much room once we get to our destination. The tiny bit of time we're exposed to the elements waiting for the airport shuttle , we actually don't freeze, it's tolerable and so worth it instead of lugging around big winter coats.

I've never been to the Med before, I can promise you you're going to love the Caribbean at that time of year!! The weather is sunny in the 70s to 80s everyday, rarely rains ever, and is known for its gorgeous tropical breeze!! You can pack all your favorite summery clothes!! To be honest my husband and I find ourselves in bathing suits more than anything else during the day!!

I guess it depends a lot on the amount of excursions you plan on going on but dress casual and comfortable , with comfortable shoes if you plan on going on them.

As far as on board the ship for dinner at night and entertainment the sky's the limit you can dress up if you like ( I personally LOVE it!) Or casual, the main dining room requires certain limitations on how casual you can be but if you really want to stay casual you can eat in the buffet where the food is just as good and you can eat anytime you like!! The main dining room is beautiful when there's a couple nights where its a dress up and you can get as formal as you want, it's a wonderful experience if you've never done it before!

So glad you joined us, hope you enjoy our gabbing and hope we can help you !!

You're in for a wonderful time on this cruise!!!

I've never been to the Med before, I can promise you you're going to love the Caribbean at that time of year!! The weather is sunny in the 70s to 80s everyday, rarely rains ever, and is known for its gorgeous tropical breeze!! You can pack all your favorite summery clothes!!

Sounds like summer in the Med then! We will be getting a taxi down to Heathrow so won't be able to leave coats in the car, but the taxi will have a heater, so I'm sure I can survive in a sweater. I am off to my apartment in Portugal in September for 3 weeks, so will have to bring back some of my summery bits that 'live' there!

Excuse my last reply!! I thought you were the person that asked about Celebrity lol! I just reread your post and see you are not! blonde moment hahaha

Not a problem. I'm on my first Celebrity in January. The Refection. Was glad you love them. Do all cruise lines in the USA, have the same basic dress codes? Ihave found Carnival and RCCL to be the same, but wondered about Celebrity. I also thought Princess was too, but I was in Alaska so temp played a roll in those clothes.

Send from device_name using Cruise Critic your_app_name App

meldreth: So nice that you found CCF! WELCOME! Those of us who live in a four season climate must always plan for that transition day when we go from heavy clothing to summer fun within a couple hours:cool:!

Always look forward to reading what others in the same situation do.

Please come back and post the progress you make selecting outfits:)!

DH & I hoped to have a boat picnic today...didn't happen. Clouds rolled in late morning and it's been raining. Temp was to be much warmer - I switched from shorts & shirt to pants & long sleevesicon13.gif

meldreth: So nice that you found CCF! WELCOME! Those of us who live in a four season climate must always plan for that transition day when we go from heavy clothing to summer fun within a couple hours:cool:!

Always look forward to reading what others in the same situation do.

Please come back and post the progress you make selecting outfits:)!

DH & I hoped to have a boat picnic today...didn't happen. Clouds rolled in late morning and it's been raining. Temp was to be much warmer - I switched from shorts & shirt to pants & long sleevesicon13.gif

Boat picnics are great! No ants!

Well I have one more event that's been stopping me from the beginning of my " inventory ans staging" of my outfits for our big Christmas cruise!!

We have out of state company coming this weekend (can't wait!) that will be using the bedroom that I plan to use for my inventory and staging area for all my clothes to take on this trip!!

So next week, WATCH OUT! I am soooo excited, only 4 months to go can't believe it's so close now! Planning my outfits is going to make it go by even faster!!

I'll post piccies of my combos and ask your advice as I go along..

Hope everyone is well!!!

I don't know what anybody else thinks but I personally found that Celebrity was a tiny bit dressier then Royal Caribbean was. I really enjoy getting dressed up, so that was never a problem for me [emoji1] During the day around the pool it's all the same on any ship!

Thank you. I may have to pull out my long dresses for that one!

I'm doing everything I can to fill time before I start filling my suitcase. Sooo, my husband and I are going back down to Indy and take the 3 yr old granddaughter to the State Fair. We'll spend Friday and Saturday. Then on Monday I can finally start pressing and matching and packing. On the next Friday we'll be dropped off at my daughters, her husband gets the nod to have us at airport for our 6:10 am flight ugh!

I will share a pic of my new skirt then. My niece gave me a mis-sized sundress. I loved the colors but too skimpy top for this ole lady. So, I cut it off. Ended with a great skirt. So, if you're in goodwill or a resale shop, don't over look sun dresses that have an elastic waist. Jersey knit can just be cut and won't ravel. It has turned into one of my favorite things! Joy.

One more thing tonight. Remember when we talked about wearing a knit cotton short under maxi skirts? Well, this new skirt needed white. So off I go to Wall-mart. Danskin has a nice long legged knit short for $6.88. Works really well. Lots of colors. Can double as walking shorts or exercise shorts. Night.

Thank you. I may have to pull out my long dresses for that one!

I'm doing everything I can to fill time before I start filling my suitcase. Sooo, my husband and I are going back down to Indy and take the 3 yr old granddaughter to the State Fair. We'll spend Friday and Saturday. Then on Monday I can finally start pressing and matching and packing. On the next Friday we'll be dropped off at my daughters, her husband gets the nod to have us at airport for our 6:10 am flight ugh!

I will share a pic of my new skirt then. My niece gave me a mis-sized sundress. I loved the colors but too skimpy top for this ole lady. So, I cut it off. Ended with a great skirt. So, if you're in goodwill or a resale shop, don't over look sun dresses that have an elastic waist. Jersey knit can just be cut and won't ravel. It has turned into one of my favorite things! Joy.

That is a great idea how to change a sun dress into a skirt. When you do post your picture of the skirt, you might want to all so post it on Sewing clothes for a cruise thread. I sure there are people there who would love to see it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1665834&page=24

That is a great idea how to change a sun dress into a skirt. When you do post your picture of the skirt, you might want to all so post it on Sewing clothes for a cruise thread. I sure there are people there who would love to see it.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1665834&page=24

Will do. Will try tomorrow. Have to help a niece clean. She had back surgery. Just one more way to kill time waiting to pack!

I would have taken a before pic, but trust me, you didn't want to see me in it!!

I am giving scraps to my sewing daughter. The straps were this braided effect that she may be able to reuse!

Edited by sunnydaygirl

These aren't the best of pictures, but I hope you get the idea. And see what beautiful colors drew me to this dress and made me not want to just donate it because it did work. Now it does. I will probably wear the pink top for more casual and the white one if I want to dress it up some. ImageUploadedByForums1407939372.007350.jpg.c386cf1ef08ed26bb7446a7b72f37fd0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by sunnydaygirl

These aren't the best of pictures, but I hope you get the idea. And see what beautiful colors drew me to this dress and made me not want to just donate it because it did work. Now it does. I will probably wear the pink top for more casual and the white one if I want to dress it up some. [ATTACH]322019[/ATTACH]

ImageUploadedByForums1407939491.429678.jpg.c60b9b3db9f7f7f33781e3a4c43e82c8.jpg

I absolutely love!! it the colors of that skirt belong on a Caribbean cruise so gorgeous!!! Great idea about the tops, are you going to add a nice wide neutral belt?

Lol! I never wear a belt!! I know it would look good, but being on the shorter chubby side, I've always thought it cuts me in half. But a longer sash type maybe. Think I have something crocheted at home. I'll check it out.

Nice! Beautiful colors!

I agree you should post this in the sewing thread. Several refashion like this as well.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1665834

Posted.

It's cool that you may get to see it in person!!

Edited by sunnydaygirl

No, I don't consider myself a "fashionista" BUT - I love planning every detail of every outfit. When all the work is done before SailAway, so much time is saved onboard. I would LOVE to hear what other like-minded clothes-lovers have to say!

Surely, there are others out there who love the tropical clothes and enjoy the process of planning and the comfort of knowing each outfit will be interesting, fun and appropriate???

It has nothing to do with pleasing strangers on a cruise ship, but rather the same kind of self-pampering one gets from having a really good mani-pedi or massage.

In a spare bedroom I assemble every possible clothing item, shoes, jewelry, accessory; then start to build outfits for each occasion. The first is for travel to the ship and (usually) SailAway the same day. We've been leaving out of Baltimore recently so there's no overnight stay in Florida.

Every outfit gets tried on - under garments to accessories - assessed, tweeked and put into a spreadsheet for each occasion. Sometimes DH is consulted - "Which shoes (earrings, top, etc.) looks better?

When it's time to pack, every item gets ironed the day before and layered in the suitcase(s) with tissue paper.

Surprisingly, I only take 1 big suitcase + a carry-on - and a big purse.

Have a great cruise, carry on is OK

I know I said no more buying, but, my friend and roomie for cruise in 8 days!!, couldn't resist going into Lable$ one more time. Found these two Chicos tops both with purple and had been looking for something to go with purple capris. The one with white will definitely get packed. I think. Monday is cruisewear rehearsal!!ImageUploadedByForums1408191932.497445.jpg.b1d8fd0fff6e11665897c09a05bdddf8.jpg

Excuse the mess behind me!! Best mirror in a room I'm kind of tossing!! Lol. Getting it ready for company.

The big question Is whether this post gets deleted. My last two with pics have.

Don't you just love the excitement leading up to a cruise??

ImageUploadedByForums1408191912.318830.jpg.40c8a22518b10c75cac3dad371250cdd.jpg

I know I said no more buying, but, my friend and roomie for cruise in 8 days!!, couldn't resist going into Lable$ one more time. Found these two Chicos tops both with purple and had been looking for something to go with purple capris. The one with white will definitely get packed. I think. Monday is cruisewear rehearsal!![ATTACH]322242[/ATTACH][ATTACH]322243[/ATTACH]

Excuse the mess behind me!! Best mirror in a room I'm kind of tossing!! Lol. Getting it ready for company.

The big question Is whether this post gets deleted. My last two with pics have.

Don't you just love the excitement leading up to a cruise??

Hi, not sure why your pictures are being deleted:eek:....nothing wrong

with posting them. I love purple too and is the 2nd picture a top

that zips in the back? If so, I have one that looks like it as well:D...zips about 3 inches

from the collar down....no need to zip/unzip LOL...just pop over your

head. I love that top:)

Edited by Lois R