Mubarak resigns-will RCI change Mariner ports back?

collector

Just saw on the news today that Hosni Mubarak resigned. What are the chances that RCI will change the itinerary for the Mariner back to include Eqypt if things settle down? I know that they really need the tourist dollars there, but once an itinerary is changed, will they ever change it back? I hope so because we picked this cruise because it went to Egypt. I know Istanbul will be amazing, but I really want to see the pyramids and the Sphinx. I know that I'll never go back to this part of the world again, so I really want to see those antiquities.

I wouldn't expect a change anytime soon. They have to be pretty certain that the region is stable before attempting to set foot there. I am still of the belief that things will get worse in Egypt before they get better. Who knows what the next regime may be like. It might actually be worst than the one they just ousted.

When are you going?

I think the big thing is, the country is not going to 'get better' over night. It is going to take time to elect a new president, and for things to calm down - if they do!

I think the cruise line would need to be reassured over the safety of the crew/passengers who went ashore that they would not be caught up in any violence or protests.

If you were a publicly-owned corporation would you be in a rush to send paying customers into a country whose military just overthrew their own President?

Since not even people who actively study Egyptian society and politics know how things will turn out it's doubtful that RCCI will make any changes in the near term, imho.

Right now there is just too much termoil and uncertainty in Egypt. We will have to wait and see what form of government takes over and what their policies are. It is very possible Egypt may be cancelled up to and through the September elections.

Latest news is that Switzerland has frozen up to 70 billion dollars possibly belonging to him and his family.

And all of those years, the Egyptian Museum in Cairo has been in such a shambles and there was never money to renovate it ..........

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

If you were a publicly-owned corporation would you be in a rush to send paying customers into a country whose military just overthrew their own President?

The military didn't do that.

I'd expect it to be a year or two. But, I bet cruise lines are already getting flooded with angry inquiries as to why they aren't going back yet from ignorant people.

Would not expect it anytime soon. When the State Department removes its travel advisory then there would be a chance that they would resume cruises to Egypt. But there is also the lead time to put back all of the tours etc.

The military didn't do that.

When a group called The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces is now running your country it's probably safe to say that they're the ones that showed him the door and not the folks gathering in the squares.

When a group called The Supreme Council of the Armed Forces is now running your country it's probably safe to say that they're the ones that showed him the door and not the folks gathering in the squares.

Those protesters weren't there, none of this happens. That uprising was started by and continued by the Egyptian people.

Those protesters weren't there, none of this happens. That uprising was started by and continued by the Egyptian people.

I'm not debating that.

Regardless of the genesis of the movement it was the military that decided he should go and they're the only ones with the power to make it happen. Hence, my claim that the military overthrew their president.

I'm not debating that.

Regardless of the genesis of the movement it was the military that decided he should go and they're the only ones with the power to make it happen. Hence, my claim that the military overthrew their president.

As the saying goes, this isn't the beginning of the end, it's just the end of the beginning. Egypt has a long way to go still. I wouldn't personally be interested in playing tourist there while all this shakes down.

Right now there is just too much termoil and uncertainty in Egypt. We will have to wait and see what form of government takes over and what their policies are. It is very possible Egypt may be cancelled up to and through the September elections.

I agree.

At least they should let the smoke clear and see what transpires before they add Egypt to intineraries again.

Rushing the issue would be idiotic.

A friend said recently that seeing Egypt from a cruise ship is not the best way to see it having been there, and that the best way is either a land holiday or a Nile cruise or both if you are lucky enough!

Still Istanbul for us in May will be as good a change if not better.... :)

Latest news is that Switzerland has frozen up to 70 billion dollars possibly belonging to him and his family.

And all of those years, the Egyptian Museum in Cairo has been in such a shambles and there was never money to renovate it ..........

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

70 billion? WOW!

Shambles? It looked pretty good on my recent visit....just think what they could do with money like that.

I was reminded this morning of another revolution like this from my youth. The people rose up and got their dictator booted out. Hopefully Egypt can embrace freedom and democracy quicker than Iran is doing it.

My opinion - it will be at least a year before tourism starts to return to Egypt and that is going to depend on who is elected to govern the country.

We were there in November and loved it - we are tentatively scheduled again in October but I'm certainly not holding my breath.

As for the person who said a cruiseship is not the way to see Egypt, I disagree. I found it the safest and most comfortable way to see Egypt. We staye off the ship in a hotel overnight and covered most of Cairo just fine.

Archived