Asia in the evening

lolagail

I have tried, without success, to find out if it is likely to be cold or cool at night on our cruise. We are going to Singapore, Vietnam and China in March. I don't want to take a load of cardis that I won't need. Can anyone enlighten me please?:confused:

You'll be going from a tropical climate to a temperate one. Singapore is always hot and humid. Vietnam should be comfortable this time of year, on the water anyhow. Sailing towards Hong Kong the evenings in particular will start to cool down. Would expect your last couple of nights, and last day at sea, to be on the chilly side, with temperatures generally not much warmer than London by the time you reach Shanghai.

You can get average temperatures for each port from one of the weather websites.

We were in Vietnam (HCM City) last February and it was hot. I think Singapore is also hot year round. Depending on where you are going, China gets much more winter weather than the other two.

All those places will be warm in the evening (short sleeve weather) with the exception of China. China is a large country and it depends where you are going. But cities such as Beijing can still be pretty chilly in March (even in the daytime) and even Shanghai can have chilly days and evenings.

Hank

Several years ago we did a Sidney, Australia to Osaka, Japan cruise in March. Singapore was hot and humid, N'Trang, Vietnam was warm, Hong Kong was comfortable, Shanghai was warm in the afternoon but very cool in the evening, Beijing was very cold.

Jeff

Many years ago, I was planning a trip to China/Hong Kong. I got a map/globe, and located cities with equal latitude. Shanghai=Jacksonville, FL; Beijing=Philadelphia; Canton/Hong Kong = Acapulco. Figure Singapore is not far north of the equator. I have actually found that equatorial locales are not as uncomfortable as my home on the GA coast is in the summer. EM

It will be very, very warm and quite humid in a number of places including Vietnam and Singapore. When I was there, on four Asian cruises, the highs were in the high 90's and the lows were high 70's to low 80's. Hong Kong may be a bit cooler. Bejing could very well be quite cool in the evening.

Thankyou all for the response...at least two cardies I think, as I'm going to Shanghai. I do feel the cold - DH says he is going to grow palm trees in the lounge next winter. Do any men feel the cold?

I rarely feel cold. My wife, on the other hand, always has a sweater or shawl when in any of the public rooms on the ship. She doesn't always need it, but uses it often enough to carry it rather than run back to the cabin when she does need it.

Archived