A Serious Martini Bar question, Really!

Renorita

Hey all you experts that imbibe at the Martini Bar! yes you! :D

After hearing all the good sounding Martini's that they have at the Martini Bar, We would like to try some on our first Celebrity Cruise (Infinity) in August. Is it possible to go to the "Martini Tasting" that we heard is on the first night, and still be able to walk to dinner? Do they make them fairly weak? The only Martini I ever drink is usually ONE, or more rarely two, "Bombay Sapphire" or "Tanqueray" on the rocks with an olive. I would hate to be part of that saying "One Martini, Two Martini, Three Martini------Floor". Thanks in advance for your informative, and I am sure humorous replies.

Hey all you experts that imbibe at the Martini Bar! yes you! :D

After hearing all the good sounding Martini's that they have at the Martini Bar, We would like to try some on our first Celebrity Cruise (Infinity) in August. Is it possible to go to the "Martini Tasting" that we heard is on the first night, and still be able to walk to dinner? Do they make them fairly weak? The only Martini I ever drink is usually ONE, or more rarely two, "Bombay Sapphire" or "Tanqueray" on the rocks with an olive. I would hate to be part of that saying "One Martini, Two Martini, Three Martini------Floor". Thanks in advance for your informative, and I am sure humorous replies.

They give you five small glasses with a small portion in each. I've never seen anyone being carried out of the bar yet.

In order to protect its well-deserved reputation as one of the best bars anywhere, the Martini Bar on a Celebrity ship will NEVER make a weak martini, even on request. In fact, the martinis in this bar are actually doubles. If you can't drink all of your drink I'm sure someone will be glad to help you.

as it features the Martini man from each ship making his magic & all get a FREE martini with the food samples. But the samples are 2 oz (or a bit more) but nothing like the $8 size at the bar.

Just got off the Mercury and it is now the $8.95 size:eek:

as it will be $10 by November, as it is the best area for drinks on the ship & the entertainment that goes with it makes for the cost. When you are that well known, crowded, etc then go for the bucks!!!!

I plan to get Grey Goose on Summit in my blue bag from the closet at the duty free shop, then have room service deliver us some Hwaiian goodies as pineapple juice & cranberry juice with vodka to make Bay Breeze and grapefruit juice with cranberry juice & vodka for Seabreeze. These were a real treat to Mai Tai during our 2 hours of FREE booze everyday at Embassy.

Just got off the Mercury and it is now the $8.95 size:eek:

I have never been a martini drinker, can't stand the taste of gin. But on my last cruise they were giving away a very cool martini glass with the martini of the day and my oh my oh my, a lush was born!! :)

I won't tell you how many of the special glasses we brought home, or how many martinis I got without the special glasses, but let's just say I drank more on this cruise than all the other cruises put together!!! :D :D :D My favorite one was called the Lemon Meringue.

Look out Millennium, here I come!!

In the last 16 months, we've been on the Summit, Celebrity, and Horizon and all three had the martini tastings. You receive five small martinis for a total of $5.00. The martinis are not weak at all, but are probably 1-1/2 to 2 ounces each, as opposed to the monster double-martinis usually served in the Martini Bar. But these, even at $8.95 each are less than what you would pay for the same thing in most bars and restaurants in the U.S. It seems like the martini tasting was always held on the first night around 7:00 or 7:30 and lasted a couple of hours. On our first trip, my wife didn't care for most of hers, so I had something like four of hers and still had no trouble navigating in to the dining room for dinner. A couple of times, later in the cruise, I had three of the monsters before dinner and have to admit I was negotiating my way to dinner very carefully.

Each of the martini tastings we've attended had a different mix of martinis. Usually they had one "classic" one with gin and vermouth and four "martinots" (cocktails served in a martini glass) To the purist, the word "martini" should only be applied to a drink containing gin, vermouth and a garnish. If you're interested in learning all there is to know about martinis, go to Zigy's Martini Lounge. Zigy's Martini Lounge The message board has some very lively discussion on what is and what is not a true martini.

Unfortunately, with each martini tasting, my wife finds more and more she likes and is making me just drink my own. It's a little disconcerting, though, when you're sitting at a small table with your paramour, and there are ten martini glasses sitting in front of you. That feeling lasts for at least 30 seconds. :cool:

By all means, attend the tasting and learn what you'll be loving for the rest of the cruise.

Allen

Thanks everyone for your imput! :)

MACOP: OMG, now I will have to add the Cooking Demo. to my list of top priorities. The others besides the Martini bar, are the T-Pool and the Persian Gardens!

Allen: Thank you for filling me in on a lot of the details, especially the time that they have it! I will remember not to have more than one "monster", although if I have one that big, I may not remember not to have another. :D

Desertbelle: Lemon Meringue! Oh my, that sounds wonderful! I also want to try the Vanilla, Creamy Chocolate, and Berry, and Apple, and, and, and---Maybe I better not start! If something tastes good and does not have a strong alcohol taste, I have to remember that they can still be potent. This happened to me one time with Maitai's.

Rita

hmmm:eek: then there is the "she drank ONE too many" and did get sick. Not from those little samplers, from the BIG CHOCOLATE one she mixed after those small ones and THEN Wine with dinner.

But, she was all better by the next evening's dinner:D

hmmm:eek: then there is the "she drank ONE too many" and did get sick. Not from those little samplers, from the BIG CHOCOLATE one she mixed after those small ones and THEN Wine with dinner.

But, she was all better by the next evening's dinner:D

Lois that is just too funny! I think by now I have learned my lesson. I hate getting sick, :eek: and with me I usually get sick before I get drunk. BTW, how did you know that I like a glass of wine with dinner! :D

Hey Lois, John and Sue, and Rita!

It truly is the second martini ( or first big girl/boy size after the tasting samples) that gets you into trouble. I had a similar incident to Lois, but stopped after my first glass of wine at the dinner table, so managed to make it through dinner that night. It wasn't, however, a late night for me. Straight form the table to the stateroom, and next thing it was 7:00 a.m. I'd like to blame the swaying on the movement of the ship, but John and Sue were at the next table, so they'd rat me out! Actually such a smooth crossing that if you saw anyone swaying, you knew the culprit was Sudie, the bartender in the Martini Bar.:D

And don't worry everyone, I'll be on the cruise with Rita, and have volunteered to take her under my wing at the Martini Bar (and drink the Vodka samples she doesn't want!)

Andrew

Hi all- found someone who posted the dailies from their Millie cruise and believe the martini tasting was at 5:30 pm. the first day. My favorite was the "Dirty Mop" made with Blavod vodka. :rolleyes:

My favorite was the "Dirty Mop" made with Blavod vodka. :rolleyes:

And if you've ever wondered how that one got its name, you've only to see the finished product... (Anyone have a photo? It really looks like a conglomeration of colors you'd find in the bucket!!!! I ordered one once because it sounded intriguing!)

Hi:) I don't think the Martini tasting last 1.5 hours:eek: but then again, look what happend to me;)

I really don't think it lasts till 9 though. I always have late seating and I think it was over before then. Allen, have you and your wife been? It is fun. Next time, no BIG ones for me, not after the tasting!

Renorita, I LOVE wine with dinner.

Hi:) I don't think there is anyway the early seating could have a tasting at 7:30, their dinner begins at 6:15 or 6:30, that would be a real EAT AND RUN:eek:

Hi:) I don't think the Martini tasting last 1.5 hours:eek: but then again, look what happend to me;)

I really don't think it lasts till 9 though. I always have late seating and I think it was over before then. Allen, have you and your wife been? It is fun. Next time, no BIG ones for me, not after the tasting!

Lois, we've been to the tasting on the Summit, Constellation, and Horizon. Each time it was before our late seating, but it seems like when I called the purser to ask about the times they told me from about 7:00 or 7:30 until "around" nine. They may just play it by ear, depending on how many people are in the bar at the time. Those cute little martinis sure were good, though. (hic)

Allen

Ok, I am mixed up then. For some reason, I remember going on the Constellation about 5:45 and a bunch of people were already seated!!! I was not dressed for dinner during the tasting but some people were! So both dinner times were represented:D

I just found the Compass from our most recent Celebrity sailing last October, and it lists the Martini Bar's Tasting as being from 7:30 until 8:30 p.m., with a fee of $5.75. On the Summit and the Constellation, I don't think they listed it in the Compass. I had heard about it on these boards, and had called the purser to get the times shortly after we boarded. Hope this helps. I guess early diners would have to catch it right after they finished eating. Isn't the early dining usually finished by around 7:30 or so?

Allen

Archived