How late can we board Nieuw Amsterdam?

OD2

Hello everyone -

We are flying into Fort Lauderdale to board the Nieuw Amsterdam April 3, 2011 transatlantic cruise. I understand that they have early boarding starting at 11 a.m., but if we fly in the same day we will need to know HOW LATE we can board.

We are looking at flights today from Toronto. I have searched the HAL threads but can find no answer to my question. I hope someone can answer, and help us?

Much appreciated!

you need to be on the ship by 3:30 -- lifeboat drill is at 4:15 -- we did back-to-back cruises on her in nov/dec -- and on one day they pulled the gangway away from the ship around 4:30

i really think you are cutting it close if your flight arrives in the afternoon

are you on a direct flight? -- if not -- then i would be even more concerned catching a connection

As KK says, I believe the rules are 90 minutes before embarkation.

I share her concern - if your flight is arriving in the afternoon, that is cutting it very close. normally we fly in at least the day before. That way if there are any plane problems or delays we are covered. Relax the night before so that we can board ready to go. JMO though ;)

Welcome to CC---I was going to post a link to our roll call for this cruise but I see you have found it by yourself.

If you are not checked in and onboard 90 minutes prior to sailing you will be denied boarding. This is not a HAL regulation--it is a Homeland Security requirement.

There are so many things that can go wrong flying in the same day--weather delays, mechanical delays, luggage delays--to name but a few.

We will be flying in three days prior to the cruise which is a bit of overkill, I know, but the next port if we miss the ship is in Portugal. Most people on this board would recommend flying a least one day early and two if you can manage it. As well as providing a level of comfort and relief from angst, it allows you to go shopping for liquids that you can't carry on the plane and hesitate to put in your checked bags. It also allows you to have a nice relaxing breakfast the day of your cruise and then arrive at the pier stress free to start your vacation.

Looking forward to chatting with you on the roll call and let us know what you decide to do. I would hate to see you miss the ship.

If you are not checked in and onboard 90 minutes prior to sailing you will be denied boarding. This is not a HAL regulation--it is a Homeland Security requirement.
The Know Before You Go document states:

U.S. government security regulations require us to submit

certain guest information to law enforcement authorities

at least 60 minutes prior to departure. To meet this

requirement, we must have the necessary information in our

records at least 90 minutes before departure. If we do not

have your information by this deadline, you will be unable

to sail. Guests are urged to complete the Online Check-in

process before leaving home. Guests who wait to check in

at the terminal risk being unable to sail even if they

arrive at the terminal before the vessel leaves. You will

be responsible for all costs you incur to join the vessel

at the next port.

The way I read that, if you've done the OnLine CheckIn you could theoretically arrive just before the gangway is pulled and still be allowed on. Not that I ever would intentionally, of course! :D

I think it would be cool if you tested the system.. see just how close to departure time you can get and still get on board. It would make for some great video/pictures...

Been there, done that! My wife and I and another couple were the last paying passengers to board the Ryndam several years ago...the one and only time we've ever flown in the day of the cruise. We got on the ship through the warehouse and then the service hatch of the ship. Had to stand to one side while they loaded a palette of bananas. That was one of the most stressful days in my life. Never again!

The way I read that, if you've done the OnLine CheckIn you could theoretically arrive just before the gangway is pulled and still be allowed on. Not that I ever would intentionally, of course! :D

I think there was a discussion on that point a ways back and it was pointed out to us that while that was correct in theory, in practice, if you had made one tiny error in your online check-in information you would be out of luck.:eek:

The potential is so great to have all your wonderful holiday plans come crashing down that I just cringe when I hear of people cutting it so close.

Been there, done that! My wife and I and another couple were the last paying passengers to board the Ryndam several years ago...the one and only time we've ever flown in the day of the cruise. We got on the ship through the warehouse and then the service hatch of the ship. Had to stand to one side while they loaded a palette of bananas. That was one of the most stressful days in my life. Never again!

Did they load your luggage after they loaded the bananas?

Archived