To Aft or Not to Aft. . .

2tsquared

Just to give ourselves a little more open floor space we've always asked that one of the chairs by the couch be removed. Neither the extra space nor the extra chair is necessary, but you might want to give it a thought. Have a wonderful cruise

t'matron, we've actually had a chair removed from our stateroom before too. It's a great idea and a great way to add a bit more floor space!

So looking forward to ALL that space on the balcony. We may have every meal on our veranda and skip all the restaurants! :D

2tsquared so happy for you.:):)..you are going to be so pleased with your suite.

We didn't find motion to be an issue ,hoping the same for you.

We dined many times on the balcony...we were sailing in Alaska and found if we placed the table in the corner of the balcony that is nearest the cabin window it was nicely sheltered from any wind.

Did a little rearranging of furnishings myself :D.

Between AzNative's photos and your excitement. I am feeling slightly homesick for SC5191.

I wrote a review of our cruise (sorry can't do the link thing :o) but you can find it under threads I've posted " Zuiderdam Our story" I think is the title.

AZNative did an excellent review as well..we both gave lots of cabin details.

Have a wonderful cruise say hello to the wake for me...sigh:)

2tsquared so happy for you.:):)..you are going to be so pleased with your suite.

We didn't find motion to be an issue ,hoping the same for you.

We dined many times on the balcony...we were sailing in Alaska and found if we placed the table in the corner of the balcony that is nearest the cabin window it was nicely sheltered from any wind.

Did a little rearranging of furnishings myself :D.

Between AzNative's photos and your excitement. I am feeling slightly homesick for SC5191.

I wrote a review of our cruise (sorry can't do the link thing :o) but you can find it under threads I've posted " Zuiderdam Our story" I think is the title.

Have a wonderful cruise say hello to the wake for me...sigh:)

CB, all great comments. I'll definitely seek out yours and AZ's reviews. I'm already excited and we just booked today! Now I get to "cruise" the CC boards, plan our port excursions and start counting the days to a great trip! :)

...where we were in 8140, the portside aft suite - and I've since learned that not all aft corner suites are the same:

From my experiences, Deck 4 & 5 aft aboard Oosterdam and Deck 5 Aft aboard Eurodam have the full complement of closets.

Our Deck 8 aboard Noordam had just a single two-door wardrobe outside the dressing room rather than the two double door wardrobes we've become accustomed to, and when I visited the occupants on Deck 6 I was astonished to find that they had NO closets outside the dressing room at all!!!

If closet space is as much of an issue for you as it is for me, it's something to be aware of!

CB, all great comments. I'll definitely seek out yours and AZ's reviews. I'm already excited and we just booked today! Now I get to "cruise" the CC boards, plan our port excursions and start counting the days to a great trip! :)

While Colleen can't do the link thing, I'll try.

AZNative Part one:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1314628&highlight=zuiderdam+sunfarer

AZNative Part two:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1314963&highlight=zuiderdam+sunfarer

Colleen's Review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1276619&highlight=zuiderdam+dream

Enjoy:)

We were in SC4185 on the Zuiderdam in January and loved it. It did have 3 closets in the dressing area as well as several in the main area -- lots of storage. There was some vibration at times, but not very often. Noise was never an issue. It was the most awesome place to be during the transit through the canal. Our shore excursion was cancelled because Gatun Lake was being drawn down, so we didn't get off the ship. But afterward we decided that was really a good thing as we so enjoyed going through the locks again.

2tsquared:

Almost forgot ... if you haven't done it already, you should

call your TA and have him or her mark your booking

NO UPGRADE!

The folks at HAL will think they're doing you a favor if they move you to an SB or SA at no added cost.:eek:

And then someone who booked an SY Guarantee could get your SC5191.:eek:

2tsquared:

Almost forgot ... if you haven't done it already, call your TA and

have him or her mark your booking

NO UPGRADE!

The folks at HAL will think they're doing you a favor if they move you to an SB or SA at no added cost.:eek:

Good thinkin' friend !!! :):)

...where we were in 8140, the portside aft suite - and I've since learned that not all aft corner suites are the same:

From my experiences, Deck 4 & 5 aft aboard Oosterdam and Deck 5 Aft aboard Eurodam have the full complement of closets.

Our Deck 8 aboard Noordam had just a single two-door wardrobe outside the dressing room rather than the two double door wardrobes we've become accustomed to, and when I visited the occupants on Deck 6 I was astonished to find that they had NO closets outside the dressing room at all!!!

If closet space is as much of an issue for you as it is for me, it's something to be aware of!

Thanks for the head's up. I'll call Ships Services to confirm if this is the case on deck 6 Oosterdam - and if so, change now ... while there still are options.

No big, "heavy" family dinner on Thanksgiving this year -- we'll be lounging on board and enjoying the beautiful views from the "back of the bus!" :) :)

Well - you still can have the big heavy dinner... just sans the family!

And enjoy your suite.

2tsquared:

Almost forgot ... if you haven't done it already, you should

call your TA and have him or her mark your booking

NO UPGRADE!

Always do that! Once we select a cabin, it's where we want to stay! Unless . . . we're offered an upgrade that we can "review" before we accept it. We upgraded to a Deluxe Suite the last time we sailed Z when they were "pitching" upgrades for a few hundred $$$'s.

Now I'm really excited! "AZ" and "CB" your reviews were wonderful! Tom and I are both looking forward to using the deck as our own "private" dining room. Even if it's raining, with the covered deck and the warm weather, how fantastic will that be?

CB, I'll be like you -- making a beeline to the deck.

So. . . . which one of you will sneak into "our shared cabin" and leave us a note? :D

Regards,

tt

Now I'm really excited! "AZ" and "CB" your reviews were wonderful! Tom and I are both looking forward to using the deck as our own "private" dining room. Even if it's raining, with the covered deck and the warm weather, how fantastic will that be?

CB, I'll be like you -- making a beeline to the deck.

So. . . . which one of you will sneak into "our shared cabin" and leave us a note? :D

Regards,

tt

Glad you enjoyed the reviews...instead of a note what I would really rather do is greet you personally because we were sailing in SC5190 :D

But sadly that won't be the case... still wishing you a wonderful cruise and every good thing the suite life affords.:)

In my humble opinion SC 5190 or SC5191 are indeed just that !

I do believe some Zuiderdam sister ships offer the same configuration

The balcony is massive, the cabin is the largest of the corner afts and the balcony is completely covered affording absolute privacy. Shelter from rain or burning sun..however sunshine finds you often depending on time of day and angle of ship.

To me it is definitely the "best seat in the house"

I am so excited........we have SC5191 booked for Alaska in Sept..We were on the Noordam this past Sept. in SC6166 and we felt no vibration at all and I am prone to sea sickness.I wear the patch and can still get sick,but I had no problems with this aft cabin.

I am so excited........we have SC5191 booked for Alaska in Sept..We were on the Noordam this past Sept. in SC6166 and we felt no vibration at all and I am prone to sea sickness.I wear the patch and can still get sick,but I had no problems with this aft cabin.

Your gonna be soooo happy.:):):) This balcony was perfect for Alaska !!

Our TA was able to get us SC5191 for the Nov 14th sailing. Based on all of the CC'er comments and my TA saying "go for it!", we said yes. One look at the pictures on Joanie's website also reconfirms our decision is a good one! Thanks so much to all of you! No big, "heavy" family dinner on Thanksgiving this year -- we'll be lounging on board and enjoying the beautiful views from the "back of the bus!" :) :)

Congratulations - do let us know what you thought when you get back please. Have a great time :):)

Your gonna be soooo happy.:):):) This balcony was perfect for Alaska !!
I agree. Wish we'd been able to book it for our Alaska. I was hoping to do that in the future but ... DARN, Colleen, we have to start keeping our mouths shut. Soon enough, we will never be able to find 5191 available when one of us wishes to book it.;):);)

This is really good news for my wobbly stomach! Thanks!

I agree. Wish we'd been able to book it for our Alaska. I was hoping to do that in the future but ... DARN, Colleen, we have to start keeping our mouths shut. Soon enough, we will never be able to find 5191 available when one of us wishes to book it.;):);)

But the rest of us are sooooooo glad you did share! Actually, I was quite surprised that these aft cabins (Decks 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8) were showing availability. I've heard so many people talk about them over the past few years, it sounded like you needed to book a year out to even have a chance to snag one. Guess my timing was right this time!

I'll be happy to let you all know how we do when we get back -- but that, of course, is still several months away! tt :)

Thanks for the head's up. I'll call Ships Services to confirm if this is the case on deck 6 Oosterdam - and if so, change now ... while there still are options.

I daresay, ShipServices won't have the first clue...

We are booked in Aft Suite 5187 on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Is the balcony like this one? It is massive! Please let me know. Right now I am tingling with anticipation. If it isn't the same as 5191, I need to know so I come back down to reality. Thanks CC experts!

We are booked in Aft Suite 5187 on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Is the balcony like this one? It is massive! Please let me know. Right now I am tingling with anticipation. If it isn't the same as 5191, I need to know so I come back down to reality. Thanks CC experts!

Hi ybarber:) Maybe I can be of some help. I have not been in cabin 5187 but I have seen a cornor aft on the Eurodam( the sister ship of Nieuw Amsterdam)

No the balcony is not as "massive" but having said that you can stay' over the moon':D Your suite is spacious and modern,with a lovely airy feeling.

The balcony is still a nice size but most importantly you will are still afforded ring side seats to view scenery(you get to see both sides ) and the glorious wake.

Have a wonderful cruise you will not be disappointed in your suite I am sure.:)

Regards Colleen

Archived