Celebrity is making changes to the Eclipse for our British neighbors

Rick-cruiser

Oh, we have no money here - we have to turn street lights OFF at night on roads, and close our libraries..BUT we still have plenty of money to send around the world to help anyone in need during a disaster - generous to a fault we are...:rolleyes:

Can't say that the announcement fills me with great enthusiasm!!

As far as I can see the beers listed are already available on the ships. I am interested to see what others will be on offer.

Will the price list show a $5 beer as $5.75 to reflect the service charge being removed? Will this mean a bottle of London Pride would be $8.05 = £5.

I must admit that these are the prices I had expected to pay on my June cruise on the Eclipse. I can only live in hope that the prices are not adjusted upward !!!

Jim

I expect the end prices for drinks will be just the same, just no separate line for service charge. They may round up to avoid odd cents in prices, but since drink prices are the same across the fleet, I wouldn't anticipate big differences. I think it is just a perception issue - some British cruisers really resent the service charge and this will disguise it and prevent them from deleting it.

Sheila

• 4 weeks later...
How will that affect us if we buy the premium drink package ? Will it still only be drinks up to $12 because if all the drinks go up by 15% that will exclude the drinks in the molecular bar.icon5.gif

tartantiara, You ask a very good question.

Anyone know who I might email to attempt to get a definitive answer ?

Thanks

• 1 month later...
How will that affect us if we buy the premium drink package ? Will it still only be drinks up to $12 because if all the drinks go up by 15% that will exclude the drinks in the molecular bar.icon5.gif

Having just returned from Eclipse 4 Night Southampton - Cork -Southampton, I can report as follows. New prices have been introduced which include the gratuity (as previously expected). The premium package price limit per drink was $13.75 . The price of a cocktail at the Molecular bar was $13.75 (So, technically, the cocktail price reduced !) The price limit on the Classic package was $5.75 for the miscellany of smoothies, coffees, teas, beers etc. The limit for wine by the glass, cocktails and spirits was $9.25. The daily package price was $56.35 per day and $44.85 respectively.

I am afraid I am unsure as to whether or not the new pricing was for 'out of Southampton' sailings only or for all Celebrity European sailings.

Ps. We enjoyed the in cabin kettle, for a 'brew' whenever we wished. Particularly useful on the last morning when there is no room service.

I am glad they are including the whole price on the menus rather than adding a service charge later. At the end of the day we want to know how much something is going to cost us don't we?

I do think that Celebrity are pretty pricey with their drinks, shore excursions and gratuities however compared to P&O. We were able to have half a litre of wine with our meal for only £7.80 in April (and there was no service charge) so even without the visible 15% added on a separate line of the bill, cruisers who are used to P&O will still think the prices are pretty steep.

Beware the promised increased poolside activities--they have them on most Celebrity ships now ,, all the noise in the afternoon make us & quite a few others flee the pool area to quieter spaces.. loud music, canned rap music & pool games with whistles etc..not our cup of tea!

We are not Great Britain travelers but look forward to our Eclipse cruise in Spring 2013!!!

Simon

Thats what I was thinking, the prices of alcohol onboard Celebrity is still VERY VERY expensive compared with P&O cruises pub-priced drinks with NO service charge.

We brits don't do service charge for drinks. When you are paying £5 for a glass of wine when a bottle of the same wine costs £5-8 in a UK supermarket, surely the inflated bar price includes a 'service' plus profit anyway?

:(The respectful thing to do when traveling it to abide by the customs to your host. If "brits don't do service charge" then brits should cruise on a brit hosted ship.

Simon

Thats what I was thinking, the prices of alcohol onboard Celebrity is still VERY VERY expensive compared with P&O cruises pub-priced drinks with NO service charge.

We brits don't do service charge for drinks. When you are paying £5 for a glass of wine when a bottle of the same wine costs £5-8 in a UK supermarket, surely the inflated bar price includes a 'service' plus profit anyway?

:(The respectful thing to do when traveling it to abide by the customs of your host. If "brits don't do service charge" then brits should cruise on a brit hosted ship.

Archived