Gondolas

MrsNobby

Hi

Does anyone know approx how much a gondola ride is in euros. I know that price can vary but just wanted a rough estimate lowest/highest people have paid recently. Also is the price per person or per gondola and where is the best place to pick one up.

I have been to Venice many times but have never been on a Gondola as I shall be there in early May with my kids (13,12 & 3) thought it might be the right time to do it more for the kids really but if it's going to be stupid prices I dont want to raise their hopes.

Thanks

we decided to bypass the gondola and instead to a water taxi to the ship.

Maybe not as romantic, but truly panormaic and immemorable.

If you do want to do it, a lot cheaper during the day than at night

and a lot more to see (yes night is romantic, but you don't see things as well).

have a good cruise and a great trip :):)

I would have to say that the Gondola ride through the canals of Venice is one of those things that was on my bucket list. Yes, it was 100 euros for a night time longer ride. But it's part of the Venice experience and something I wanted to do once and I'm glad we did it. If you just look at as paying 100 euros (or less during the daytime) for a 40-minute boat ride, then skip it.

OP, I would advise picking a ride near one of the inner canals (near the expensive clothing & shoe stores and Hard Rock) because the lines are shorter and the ride will be longer.

I would have to say that the Gondola ride through the canals of Venice is one of those things that was on my bucket list. Yes, it was 100 euros for a night time longer ride. But it's part of the Venice experience and something I wanted to do once and I'm glad we did it. If you just look at as paying 100 euros (or less during the daytime) for a 40-minute boat ride, then skip it.

quote]

Funny, it was on my must-do list the first time I went to Venice, but once I got there, i enjoyed walking around the city so much that I lost interest in the gondola. I've been back twice and each time I think 'maybe this time' but no. We did ride a traghetto (sp?) and that was a laugh! Standing up in a stripped down gondola to cross the Canal is quite an experience. I'd do that again in a heartbeat, and only 50 cents !

Funny, it was on my must-do list the first time I went to Venice, but once I got there, i enjoyed walking around the city so much that I lost interest in the gondola. I've been back twice and each time I think 'maybe this time' but no. We did ride a traghetto (sp?) and that was a laugh! Standing up in a stripped down gondola to cross the Canal is quite an experience. I'd do that again in a heartbeat, and only 50 cents !

I really don't want to make it sound as if I have a checklist. But if I have never done something, seen something or experienced something that you always wanted to, and I think those opportunities are few and far in between, I go for it. There are places to save money like taking trains to Rome and Florence, buses to Nice and beaches in Mallorca. Venice is not one of those places to me.

I was there last summer and it was appx 60 Euros per person for abt a 30 minute ride.

Te price of 80 Euro is for the whole gondolo which holds up to 6 people NOT pp. I would also suggest you go to one of the back canals to negotiate your ride.

Agree with the previous post that the cost should be approximately 80 Euros although we have found that this is negotiable based on supply and demand and the time of day. As has been posted, this price is for the entire gondola (up to 6 in a gondola) and your ride should last about 40 min. You can also negotiate for a longer ride. We always suggest that folks stop at a local wine shop, buy a bottle of nice wine, have the shop pull the cork, ask for some plastic wine cups, and sip your wine as you glide through the canals. There is no reason to pay the inflated prices offered by tour companies or the cruise ships...and in fact, if you hire your own gondola you can have a romantic ride for just a couple whereas the expensive tours normally stuff 6 in a gondola (not very romantic).

We should add that rates are generally higher in the evenings (and around sunset) but again, it is all negotiable.

Hank

I've decided to definitely take the kids on a Gondola as you all say it's one of those things that just has to be done, like drinking very expensive Bellinis (excuse spelling) in Harry's Bar which I have done.

As I said before I've been to Venice many times over the past 20yrs and never got round to it as I too just like wandering around the streets taking in the sights. Hubby and I aren't the romantic type so it never bothered us, although he did propose in St Marks square.

Hopefully the kids will enjoy it and have some great memories of the experience.

Agree with the previous post that the cost should be approximately 80 Euros although we have found that this is negotiable based on supply and demand and the time of day. As has been posted, this price is for the entire gondola (up to 6 in a gondola) and your ride should last about 40 min. You can also negotiate for a longer ride. We always suggest that folks stop at a local wine shop, buy a bottle of nice wine, have the shop pull the cork, ask for some plastic wine cups, and sip your wine as you glide through the canals. There is no reason to pay the inflated prices offered by tour companies or the cruise ships...and in fact, if you hire your own gondola you can have a romantic ride for just a couple whereas the expensive tours normally stuff 6 in a gondola (not very romantic).

We should add that rates are generally higher in the evenings (and around sunset) but again, it is all negotiable.

Hank

Thanks Hank...good idea and good info.

Cheers, Dee

Thanks Hank...good idea and good info.

Cheers, Dee

We sometimes get a bit infuriated with the prices charged for excursions by the cruise line. Anyone can easily get their own gondola (there are quite a few different docking areas within Venice where you simply walk-up and hire a gondola). A group of 4 will pay no more than 25 Euros per person (for 2 it will be 40-50 Euros per person) and folks might want to compare this to excursion costs for the same gondolas where they normally cram 6 in a gondola.

Hank

Archived