Sled Dog Summer Camp WITHOUT the Glaciers

travelingmom37

Hi,

We are considering doing the "Sled Dog Summer Camp" tour that does not include the plane to the glaciers. There would be no snow at camp in June. Is this worth the trip? You do the sled ride and visit the dogs at their base camp.

The cost of the combination tour is just too prohibitive given other planned excursions.

Has anyone done this excursion?

Thoughts?

I've done the tour out of Skagway, when they were not fully ship contracted and you could drive up for $30. :) Was OK. The kids loved it. IF you are in Seward, Seavey's is superior for a bargain. And Wasilla Sled Dog headquarters, has the bargain cart rides, about $10, which last a few minutes.

An alternative out of Skagway- is to either drive to Carcross, or take a tour that includes a stop at Caribou Crossing. Cart rides can be purchased at a cheaper cost, and your day also includes MUCH more.

We did the sled dog camp in Skagway when, unfortunately, it was fully contracted to the ships. The kids really wanted to do this, but we didn't want to rent the car or take the train to Carcross. I thought that the excursion was grossly overpriced and do not recommend it.

Now and then I post this comment on such questions. Some people (including adults) get very upset when they see how the real sled dogs live. It is important to do some research including looking at photos and videos on YouTube to understand what you will be shown. Dogs that are not pets and are chained to their shelters separated from other dogs so they can not fight.

I am not anti-sled dog racing, but had the experience of recommending one of these tours to a work mate who took his grand daughter on an Alaskan cruise with the rest of his family. This 7 year old got very, very upset when she saw the dogs chained up. I've been hearing about it since.

Be prepared. Most folks enjoy the visits very much but some adults and some children do not and regret making the decision (and spending the money).

Now and then I post this comment on such questions. Some people (including adults) get very upset when they see how the real sled dogs live. It is important to do some research including looking at photos and videos on YouTube to understand what you will be shown. Dogs that are not pets and are chained to their shelters separated from other dogs so they can not fight.

I am not anti-sled dog racing, but had the experience of recommending one of these tours to a work mate who took his grand daughter on an Alaskan cruise with the rest of his family. This 7 year old got very, very upset when she saw the dogs chained up. I've been hearing about it since.

Be prepared. Most folks enjoy the visits very much but some adults and some children do not and regret making the decision (and spending the money).

That's an interesting perspective that I hadn't thought of. I feel the same about swimming with dolphins. Too sad for me.

Viv

Thanks for the feed back. I also will not swim with the dolphins after learning of their living conditions.

Are the dogs tied up all of the time they are not "working" or is this done for the presumed saftey of the visitors ?

If they are ill-treated my question will be answered.

I'm sure someone will jump in if I make a statement that is not proven in fact, but the majority of mushers (all that I have ever seen) keep their dogs chained to their individual shelters (when at home in the kennels) when not at work. The dogs have a tendancy to get out of hand if given the chance and will scrap.

I have had various sorts of dogs nearly all my life and do not believe that the sled dogs are mistreated. The point I am trying to make is that some people might be upset by the appearance of what they see.

These dogs are not house pets. The life they have is the life they were born in to and have always had. The ones we had growing up actually refused to come into the main part of the house in foul weather, preferring either the outside in their own shelters or the compromise of being in the arctic entry of the house which was out of the wind and weather, but not warm and toasty.

Thanks for the feed back. I also will not swim with the dolphins after learning of their living conditions.

Are the dogs tied up all of the time they are not "working" or is this done for the presumed saftey of the visitors ?

If they are ill-treated my question will be answered.

Every kennel I have seen has the tied up dogs. They don't have the dogs running around nor could they. I am in no way claiming there is any mistreatment. But these dogs are NOT pets. All the "cuddle and puppy" comments I read are really outside of these dogs lives, outside of the tours.

Several of my neighbours have sled dog kennels of up to 30 dogs. We're on muti-acre properties but within city limits, so they have to abide by city bylaws that state that dogs cannot be chained. While they all seem to divide up the enclosures so that only dogs who like each other are in the same pen, the musher who I know well spends a whole lot of time and money patching up dogs who are normally buddies but start scrapping. They're chained for their own safety, not that of visitors.

If you are concerned about the treatment of sled dogs, I'd say that's all the more reason to check out a musher's camp. There's a lot of misconception, and those who are disgruntled are always the most likely to speak up. But the truth is these musher's camps exist not only to give people a great Alaskan experience (and the overwhelming majority love these tours), but also to support the sport and educate people. The mushers who work there are passionate about their dogs and their sport, and would welcome any questions regarding your concerns. It's a fascinating sport, much more intense both physically and mentally than any other sport I know of. I highly respect the mushers I know, and to be honest they pay more attention to the well-being of their dozens of dogs than I do my one dog. And I think I spoil my dog!

Archived