Walk to Lobster Alive?

goldies155

I would say it's a good 30 mins walking,taxi would be about $30bds/$15us,they don't have any meters so ask before you get in.it's a lovely beach ,it's on the same beach as Harbour Lights and Boat Yard,all beaches are public in B/dos,so you can go where you like,there would however be a charge for the use of the beach-chairs at H/lights and Boat Yard :)

Seems like taxi fare is reasonable - how far/long of a walk from where the Victory docks to Lobster Alive?

Was there last week. Strongest rum punches ever. You might walk there but you`ll stagger back.:)

You're right about the rum punches...........

3 drinks and 2 chaise lounges/umbrella for $15 - doesn't get any better.

Oh my goodness I agree! It sneaks up on you! LOL

Such a great deal in a fantastic spot. Can't wait to go back.

No signs, but easy to get to. When you leave the port, keep the water on your right and keep following the sidewalk into town ... here's a map I created that gives a general idea (scroll to the latter half of this blog post) - http://2totravel.blogspot.com/2010/12/barbados-beyond-your-imagination.html. Click the photo for a larger version.

No signs, but easy to get to. When you leave the port, keep the water on your right and keep following the sidewalk into town ... here's a map I created that gives a general idea (scroll to the latter half of this blog post) - http://2totravel.blogspot.com/2010/12/barbados-beyond-your-imagination.html. Click the photo for a larger version.

Thank you! This is a great help and it definately looks easy enough... now I just have to convince the hubby :rolleyes:

This looks like a perfect way to spend the day. Thank you so much for the great map and info. Did you have to swim out very far to see the turtles? We travel with snorkels and masks but not flippers or a vest. Do they have facilities for public use at Payne's?

Thanks for info h2so4. Loved the blog map and pictures. How much were bus tokens, and do they take U.S. dollars?

75¢/person each way; USD accepted --- we bought the four tokens we would need for the round trip when we set out on the ride out to Payne's Bay. The privately operated yellow busses also accept the tokens for the blue busses that are government-operated.

This looks like a perfect way to spend the day. Thank you so much for the great map and info. Did you have to swim out very far to see the turtles? We travel with snorkels and masks but not flippers or a vest. Do they have facilities for public use at Payne's?

Far is relative ... to me it looked like a considerable distance since I am not a strong swimmer, but hubby didn't think so. He did use flippers. He says it was about 200 m or so from shore. We didn't go to Payne's Beach proper, so I can't speak to the facilities. There were none on the portion of the beach where hubby swam with the turtles. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Thank you! This is a great help and it definately looks easy enough... now I just have to convince the hubby :rolleyes:

It really is an easy walk ... you may have to consider how hot the day is as large portions of the walk has no shade ... lather up with sunscreen and make sure you have a hat. You can always walk to the beach and grab a cab back if you don't feel like doing the walk both ways.

Far is relative ... to me it looked like a considerable distance since I am not a strong swimmer, but hubby didn't think so. He did use flippers. He says it was about 200 m or so from shore. We didn't go to Payne's Beach proper, so I can't speak to the facilities. There were none on the portion of the beach where hubby swam with the turtles. Hopefully someone else can chime in.

Was it far from Paynes Beach and did the bus driver know where to leave you off to swim out to the turtles? Did you see any place where snorkel equipment could be rented? Thank you for answering all these questions. I like to be prepared. :)

Was it far from Paynes Beach and did the bus driver know where to leave you off to swim out to the turtles? Did you see any place where snorkel equipment could be rented? Thank you for answering all these questions. I like to be prepared. :)

We asked the driver to let us off at the Esso station in Payne's Bay/Beach. That was across the street from the Tamarind Cove resort. I understand there's a public beach access a little further north that might take you to Payne's Beach proper. You could also ask the driver to drop you off at the Blue Monkey Restaurant/Beach ... again just a little bit further north from Tamarind Cove. There may be facilities there if you plan to stay a while ... not sure. There was no snorkel vendor anywhere near where we were, but again ... might be something closer to or at the restaurant/beach proper. Do a search for Blue Monkey Beach/Restaurant and see if anything pops up.

Have a great day in Barbados ... it was one of our best days ever in the Caribbean.

...it's a lovely beach, it's on the same beach as Harbour Lights and Boat Yard,

all beaches are public in B/dos,so you can go where you like :)

-and when you get there, it's a lot like this...

Lobster-405.jpg

Lobster Alive has these big umbrellas to shield you from the sun.

-and when you get there, it's a lot like this...

Lobster-405.jpg

Lobster Alive has these big umbrellas to shield you from the sun.

Hi Aplmac, I can almost feel the warm sun looking at that picture. You are the perfect person to answer my questions! Is it worthwhile going to Paynes to swim out to the turtles and do you know if snorkel equipment can be rented? Also, someone on our board is concerned about the distance they would need to swim out so is there anyone on the beach who for a fee will take them out in a boat? We have been to your beautiful island a couple of times but have never done this. Thank you for any info you can give us. :)

Is it worthwhile going to Paynes to swim out to the turtles

and do you know if snorkel equipment can be rented? ===> Rather doubt it..

Also, someone on our board is concerned about the distance they would need to swim out

so is there anyone on the beach who for a fee will take them out in a boat? ===> Likely, yes.

Despite living on the island, I don't get over to the West Coast much...

..but... I've read on other threads that there are usually glass-bottom Boats

that'll take you out for a fee...both at Paynes Bay and at Holetown

How much? I don't know....but I wouldn't try swimming out to the area

-if you see where it's all happening

--not if it's 200 yards (certainly not without flippers to assist in locomotion)

mainly because there's often ski-boats going up and down

plus snorkellers are required by local law to carry a buoy with flag to mark their spot

so the water-ski-boats don't run them over!!

I'm not the best person to answer this question for you, sorry. :o

-maybe someone else who's been there recently

will be in a better position to answer.

Consult other threads on Paynes Bay and turtles?

Can't wait, we plan on going there next week! Oh, and I plan on having the driver stop off at Chefette's on the way to the beach, and maybe on the way back to the ship, lol!

Oh, and I plan on having the driver stop off at Chefette's on the way to the beach,

and maybe on the way back to the ship, lol!

Your taxi driver will likely jack up the cost of your trip

because of having to wait for you at Chefette.

Hey, there's a Chefette at Fontabelle right near the Port! ;)

which you might want to do either before or after engaging your taxi driver!

When you come out of the Port's gatehouse

you'll find a roundabout right there in front of the gatehouse

where the policemen check you, as you come in...

As you're leaving the Port, coming out to the island generally

there's a road leading away to the left of the roundabout (straight ahead is the town)

Take that left road and walk it about 250 yds. -and there will be Chefette Fontabelle!! Tah-daah!

I'd do that first, get your Roti or whatever

and then retrace your steps back to the roundabout and gatehouse area

and then engage one of the taxi guys outside the gatehouse, to go wherever! ;)

If you're still peckish on you way back to the ship

ask him to drop you at Chefette Fontabelle

rather than to the Port.

That'll probably make life easier for him, in afternoon traffic anyway!

Aren't you glad I told you this? :D

Your taxi driver will likely jack up the cost of your trip

because of having to wait for you at Chefette.

Hey, there's a Chefette at Fontabelle right near the Port! ;)

which you might want to do either before or after engaging your taxi driver!

When you come out of the Port's gatehouse

you'll find a roundabout right there in front of the gatehouse

where the policemen check you, as you come in...

As you're leaving the Port, coming out to the island generally

there's a road leading away to the left of the roundabout (straight ahead is the town)

Take that left road and walk it about 250 yds. -and there will be Chefette Fontabelle!! Tah-daah!

I'd do that first, get your Roti or whatever

and then retrace your steps back to the roundabout and gatehouse area

and then engage one of the taxi guys outside the gatehouse, to go wherever! ;)

If you're still peckish on you way back to the ship

ask him to drop you at Chefette Fontabelle

rather than to the Port.

That'll probably make life easier for him, in afternoon traffic anyway!

Aren't you glad I told you this? :D

I was going to do that originally then a co-worker told me to have the driver stop on the way. I thought of the cost of that myself, lol. Trust me, I did the research and was well aware of that particular Chefette's because I am GREEDY :D I was on their website and all!! Lol. A friend of mine told me there's a Chefette's near Accra too. Btw, I'm your Kindle friend who flooded you with questions via FB about a month ago!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, It's our first time in Barbados and I keep reading about Lobster Alive. I believe it's a restaurant that has a beach front. Do you need to eat at the restaurant in order to use the beach. The menu looks pricey even when I divide by two since the prices are not in US currency. I think they have a take out service. Does anyone know if the menu is the same. Thanks.

Archived