Wearing Shorts to dinner?

CruzinWithMom

I know that this has been discussed many times but I'm unable to find the specific thread.

We are going on the Jewel out of New York, May 1 and have questions about wearing shorts to the main dinning room.

Are Bermuda dress shorts and nice shirts acceptable? We are trying to figure out what to pack and really not into dressing up for dinner.

Are dress shorts acceptable at all the restaurants also..

I know that this has been discussed many times but I'm unable to find the specific thread.

We are going on the Jewel out of New York, May 1 and have questions about wearing shorts to the main dinning room.

Are Bermuda dress shorts and nice shirts acceptable? We are trying to figure out what to pack and really not into dressing up for dinner.

The Jewel has 2 main dining rooms, Azura and Tsars Palace. In Azura you can wear any type of shorts in the evening, Tsars is a bit more formal and I've seen some dressy shorts accepted while others were turned away....so it seems up to the discretion of the hostess.

The Jewel has 2 main dining rooms, Azura and Tsars Palace. In Azura you can wear any type of shorts in the evening, Tsars is a bit more formal and I've seen some dressy shorts accepted while others were turned away....so it seems up to the discretion of the hostess.

Margaret:

On the Jewel cruise we both took in December, no shorts of any type were supposed to be allowed in Tsar's Palace and LeBistro. Has that rule been further relaxed recently?

Seriously what the heck are dress shorts :rolleyes:

I, too, am mystified by this! I have come to understand that some people believe "dress shorts" are shorts that (a) are not made of denim and (b) do not have cargo pockets. Where the "dress" part comes in, I have no idea, as nobody over age 12 should be trying to get away with calling any kind of shorts "dressy" unless they live in Bermuda and are wearing them with knee socks and suspenders.

We were on the Jewel 2 years ago and wanted to go to Tsars one night - the 2nd night of our cruise. My husband had knee length kahki shorts and a hawaiian type dress shirt on and he was turned away. We tried to explain to them that he had heart surgery the day before we flew out for the cruise (he still had the hospital bracelet on) (where the go through the groin) and he couldn't put pants on due to the incision. The only pants he had with were the sweatpants he wore from the hospital. They said sweatpants (grey - the kind you wear on a cleaning the house kind of day) were acceptable. Are you kidding me?? It seems pretty crazy that he would be turned away when having a nice pair of shorts and told he was ok to come back in sweats & tshirt. It was the only night we went there, it wasn't worth the hassle.

It amazes me the number of people that are against "dress" shorts for men. I think men in knee length shorts with polo shirts are dressed as nice or nicer than men in jeans or men with T shirts that inappropriate messages on them. I agree that Le Bistro and Cagney's maybe a dresser venue but you see every thing there too. My DH always wears Khakis but has questioned why he can't wear shorts as we sit there and look around. I think when NCl relaxed the dining atmosphere they left themselves open to interpretation on what is resort casual? If you have gone on a land vacation recently most restaurants in warm climates allow "dress" shorts for men. I guess they would rather have the business $$ than turn people away....Just my opinion

Margaret:

On the Jewel cruise we both took in December, no shorts of any type were supposed to be allowed in Tsar's Palace and LeBistro. Has that rule been further relaxed recently?

Hi Paul,

On both our December and January cruises we saw a few people in shorts being overlooked in Tsars, and we also witnessed others being turned away. I think the one hostess just wasn't very observant, or wasn't bold enough to confront the ones in shorts.

The rule on the back of the Freestyle still stated no shorts in Le Bistro or Tsars Palace.

Cynbar..... It doesn't say the rule is different for men / women. Shorts are acceptable, I guess, in all of the other dining locations.

You may want to call to double check. I was on the Jewel in 2009 and shorts were not allowed in Cagneys, Le Bistro, and one regular dining room for dinner.

BUT

I just got off the Epic was told NCL changed their policy for shorts. Shorts were allowed in EVERY restaurant including Cagneys and Epic Club. The only restaurant shorts still were not allowed was Le Bistro.

NOW, I would assume this policy would apply to all NCL ships but maybe not so please call to find out for sure.

It's at the descretion of the maitre d' of each restaurant and their staff as to what is acceptable. What may have "gotten in" last week may not this week because crew members change.

I guess I don't understand the problem of putting on pants or jeans for dinner..... At least pack to be prepared if you are turned away.

Dress shorts are what you wear with your dress t-shirt and dress ballcap.

Here is a pic of men's dress shorts, they can be solid or print and come to just above the knee.

Whats not allowed are cut offs, gym type shorts or short shorts where everything is ready to fall out.

I disagree with the current "short" rule because it's the whole pkg I look at such as the person have a tasteful top on such as a polo or is he wearing and top showing the nasty arm pits that need braiding. And is he wearing sandals but needs to shave toe tops and needs nails cut or has nasty cracked heels.

It's time men started taking better care of their bodies and keep the jungles trimmed so you can see through the bushes.

012811_men_shorts01.jpg.e0ee4cf58925b72f499aaa3285087147.jpg

Anything goes as far as the Spirit is concerned. Just returned yesterday. I saw men wearing shorts, tee shirts, and flip flops in both Dining Rooms. Nothing was said. I don't think they are enforcing any type of dress code on this ship?:confused:

Early in the season, out of NYC, they'll try to enforce the no-shorts rule.

By the end of summer, they'll have been beaten into submission and an 'anything goes' policy will be the norm. Happens every year.

We were on the Jewel in November and my husband was turned away for wearing shorts. So we went to Azura where he was allowed in and were seated at a table for 2 which to us was a table of 6...we were so close to the people on each side of us that we were touching elbows. Did not enjoy that so we stuck with the buffet.

At the risk of getting flamed, what's so hard to put on a pair of Dockers or nice jeans when you eat in one of the dinning rooms at dinner. Please don't give me the worn out argument "I'm on vacation and I can wear what I want". If you want to wear shorts, eat in the buffet.

There is a very simple answer to this...men just wear long pants ,no jeans and a collared shirt...and check the cap at the door...

in all restaurants...wear what you want to the buffet...women too, loose the shorts and the jeans...it should be very easy to enforce with no intrepretation..

I have never been big on "formal" dress codes like jackets and or ties...but how tough is it to put on a pair of slacks and a collared shirt...

OK folks I’ll start by saying my husband or myself would not go to an upper scale restaurant in shorts. We also don’t wear Jeans or shorts to weddings or funerals. That is just because that is they way we were raised and our generation did not have you asking why certain clothing could not be worn to certain venues or affairs, it was just so.

In saying that I really don’t have any issues with how anyone else dresses they really aren’t my concern nor did I give birth to them to be embarrassed by what they chose.

NCL could really solve this obviously hot issue. Since to my understanding (and keeping in mind we are novice cruisers) that both MDRs serve the same food, why not make one casual (shorts permitted) and one (no shorts permitted). Therefore solving everyone’s issues. Then the maitre d’ would only have to say “you are more than welcome to enjoy your meal in MDR such and such”.

Personally I would like someone to tell me where the difference lies in someone wearing shorts or these women that dress in micro-minis that when they bend to sit, shows everyone in the room places that no one but their significant other should be seeing. And yet they are considered dressed up.

As for the surcharge restaurants, yes the ambiance is nice but anyone I’ve spoken to, mostly goes there because they like the food better, so I figure if you are willing to fork over another $25/person then you’ve paid for the right to wear whatever you wish. But as I said mine is not to critique someone else’s fashion or fashion sense. Just my opinion.

I am resort casual...DH is resort casual to dressy casual...the girls will wear skirts and tops or capris and tops.

I rarely let my girls go out to venues in shorts..as capris and skirts are better for city... travel.... and dining....and cruises

However..just because I like to see my family modestly dressed...and they like it too...doesn't mean I give a hoot about what others wear.

I am not against the guy next to me at Le Bistro in nice resort casual...but then again I really don't ccare if he has shorts and a tee shirt on either. As long as he is not loud and obnoxious I am OK with it...and just because someone wears shorts and a tee it does not automatically make him loud and obnoxious....

geez..I have been wearing a down vest and fur lined boots all winter...doesn't make me the outdoorsey type:eek:....just makes me a mom who wants to be comfortable as I carry out my responsibilites with my family....

in and out of the car...shovel snow...drag the groceries...shovel snow..in and out of the car...shovel snow.....

IMHO..loud and obnoxious needs to be removed from any venue regardless of clothing.....ever see a drunk business executive in an Armani suit? very interesting site.....:D

OK folks I’ll start by saying my husband or myself would not go to an upper scale restaurant in shorts. We also don’t wear Jeans or shorts to weddings or funerals. That is just because that is they way we were raised and our generation did not have you asking why certain clothing could not be worn to certain venues or affairs, it was just so.

In saying that I really don’t have any issues with how anyone else dresses they really aren’t my concern nor did I give birth to them to be embarrassed by what they chose.

NCL could really solve this obviously hot issue. Since to my understanding (and keeping in mind we are novice cruisers) that both MDRs serve the same food, why not make one casual (shorts permitted) and one (no shorts permitted). Therefore solving everyone’s issues. Then the maitre d’ would only have to say “you are more than welcome to enjoy your meal in MDR such and such”.

Personally I would like someone to tell me where the difference lies in someone wearing shorts or these women that dress in micro-minis that when they bend to sit, shows everyone in the room places that no one but their significant other should be seeing. And yet they are considered dressed up.

As for the surcharge restaurants, yes the ambiance is nice but anyone I’ve spoken to, mostly goes there because they like the food better, so I figure if you are willing to fork over another $25/person then you’ve paid for the right to wear whatever you wish. But as I said mine is not to critique someone else’s fashion or fashion sense. Just my opinion.

we are like minded..and our almost identical posts prove that:)

DH grew up in Montreal btw...Italian immigrant

we are like minded..and our almost identical posts prove that:)

DH grew up in Montreal btw...Italian immigrant

:) Well I just figure I have enough of my issues to worry about, that I don't need to take on everyone elses. I'm on vacation like all on the cruise and just wish to chill and not worry about the world for a week or however long I'm there.

I also don't like to think that the other vacationers on the cruise are more interested in what I'm wearing and critiquing it.

Boy...I really didn't expect the mixed opinions on the "Short" subject!!! My question wasn't intended to cause "civil unrest". We were just wondering...and by the way.. 4 of us "women" are the ones who are asking about the dress short thing. I'm sorry but I would much rather see someone dressed in "dress shorts-yes, they DO exist" than someone in a ratty pair of jeans!!! I will definitely bring a pair of "casual pants" to wear to dinner so we won't offend anyone's dining experience with our "Dress Shorts"...I really don't want to be turned away while "buddy next door" walks through wearing jeans!!!!! :eek::eek:

I agree that 1 restaurant should be more formal and the other come as you are. For me and my husband, we are there to eat and enjoy our cruise, we really don't care what anyone wears. We prefer jeans and shorts but if we can't wear them, we won't. I have to dress for work everyday so I do not want to dress on vacation but that's me. Live and let live I say.

Archived