Emeralds

caribbean52010

We are doing a Panama Canal cruise in April/May (Century). I would like to get some some emerald jewelry.

We will be stopping in Cartagena, Colombia and as I understand Emeralds can be purchased at a reasonalbe price if you know where to purchase them.

But I would like to know if the prices of jewelry (preferably emeralds) are a good price on ship. We haven't crusied in a very long time but as I remember, when out to sea prices were duty free. Does this still apply?

Where would you get emerald jewelry?

Thanks

Bob

We stopped in Cartagena last February and I bought emerald earrings. We went to see Lee Miles. He is VERY reputable!!! My 3 stone drop earrings were right around $1000 USD. I had my jeweler look at them when I got home & he said I got very good stones at a very good price. I definitely recommend Lee Miles. Google him!

You need to know what you're buying. Sometimes, the prices aren't all that great and the general consensus is that great deals aren't as much as they used to be years ago. Check prices at home first and then go on your cruise and see if the prices are that much better.

Personally I would never buy gem stones while on a cruise. I have heard of too many horror stories of inexperienced people buying flawed diamonds and emeralds. There was a big fraud uncovered a while back with people buying what they thought were quality emeralds and found out they were often 'enhanced" with oils and filling.

http://jcrs.com/JCRS_for_consumers/jewelry_information/colored_gems/emerald.htm

It's not so much that the gems are enhanced, it's that they don't always tell and you what you are getting. And keep in mind the following:

Enhanced Emeralds — The Clever Cover-up

" .....Newer technologies, however, make it possible to sell extremely flawed, low-quality emeralds that previously would have had to be discarded. Without "clarity enhancement," any observer would see these stones as defective, unattractive, even ugly. But after enhancement, they look good to all but a trained gemologist observing them under high magnification.

Problems with the enhancement may not show up until much later. Meanwhile, emeralds of poorer and poorer quality are finding their way into jewelry. ..."

http://jcrs.com/newsletters/2007/2007_11.htm

We were considering looking at Emeralds while in port....but, after reading above comments not so sure. One person asked about the onboard selling of emeralds.....are those worth considering, or overpriced? Are they duty free?

Well, I believe all your stories, BUT, I bought there and my jeweler who is the leading gemologist in our state, assured me I got excellent gem stones at a good price. He appraised them at twice what I paid! Lee Miles is honest and has good quality for a fair price. Just saying.

Lynn, If I were to find myself in Cartegena, I'd want to buy an emerald too.

When I said most were oiled, I didn't mean that that was necessarily bad. I think emeralds have been oiled since Cleopatra's time; they have to be or the stone dries out. That's why you're not supposed to put them in a jewelry cleaner.

Also, I hardly ever see real emeralds where I live, mostly lab grown. So I imagine the variety and selection you would have in Cartegena would be impressive.

What carat weight are your earings?

We have been to Cartagena several times and I found that emeralds are not cheap there.

You have to educate yourself with what to look for and prices on the market.

Check reputable Internet sites for information on price per carat and cut. I've read that now simulated emerald is available with " typical" emerald inclusions.

I bought some emeralds in the Caribbean in the past, but that was over 15 years ago.

Prices are plain crazy now.

Lynn, If I were to find myself in Cartegena, I'd want to buy an emerald too.

When I said most were oiled, I didn't mean that that was necessarily bad. I think emeralds have been oiled since Cleopatra's time; they have to be or the stone dries out. That's why you're not supposed to put them in a jewelry cleaner.

Also, I hardly ever see real emeralds where I live, mostly lab grown. So I imagine the variety and selection you would have in Cartegena would be impressive.

What carat weight are your earings?

Each earring has 3 drop stones & each stone is 1/3 ct, so each earring is 1 CTW. I DID do a lot of research with my jeweler who is also one of my clients and he showed me what to look for and also sent me with one of his loops! Not to mention, I had him on the phone with Lee discussing them before I bought them!

Each earring has 3 drop stones & each stone is 1/3 ct, so each earring is 1 CTW. I DID do a lot of research with my jeweler who is also one of my clients and he showed me what to look for and also sent me with one of his loops! Not to mention, I had him on the phone with Lee discussing them before I bought them!

Thanks, Lynn.

Since emeralds are a light (in weight) stone, 1/3 of a ct will look larger than another stone. I'm sure they are beautiful.

Thanks for your post.:)

If you have a good jeweler(not a chain store) at home you know and trust I would ask him about what kind of deal he could make for you. We were just in Columbia and thought the prices were extremely inflated. Just visited our local jeweler and he was able to give me a great price on a pair of diamond and emeralds earrings. It's not the gems that cost a lot it is the gold used to set them. Gold prices pretty well universal. On the plus side of buying at home if there is a problem you can get it taken care of asap. I have a horror story about a bracelet I bought once on a cruise it took over 6 months to get a major problem addressed by the cruise line and the merchants. So I learned my lesson.

I am certain that they will have signs or other adverts claiming be duty free, 50 percent off, or clear out sale. None of these hold any weight.

The bottom line is price and quality. If you do not really know what is a quality stone and what isn't (I certainly do not) and are not knowledgeable as to what attributes determine price , then it is strictly buyer beware-especially since you will not be able to return them. Lots of people come back with substandard products and a wonderful appraisal certificate that provides 'insurance value' (about 2-3times the actual value of the stones/settings).

Any stone under 1 ct in good color and clarity are differently priced than larger stones in the same color/ clarity. Colombian emeralds went up in prices in the past 10 year about 300%. In Cartagena, they know that tourists will think that they are getting a good price, because it is in Colombia, but actualy they are not. I've seen much better prices for Emerald Jewelry in St. Marteen last November. Jewelry is something that if you like it a lot and you can affort it - buy it, because wearing it will give you pleasure and that priceless.

Thank you to those who posted about oiling and inhancements. Can you explain more about it? Are emeralds suppose to be oiled?

Would buying from the ship be a good option? Found a ring I LOVED a couple of years ago on a RCI ship and didn't buy it....then wished I had. Now thinking maybe I should be glad I didn't. I've been looking for one like it ever since.

What do oiled or enhanced emeralds do over time? How can you tell if anything has been done?

Oiling emeralds is a common practice and actually recommended. Emerald is very " soft" stone, compare to diamond or even sapphire, and become even more brittle if it is very dry.

Emerald jewelry recommended to "oil" ever so often, that gives stone more luster and looks like it has more deep color. You can google on " oiling emeralds" and you will find a lot of information about it.

We bought a pair of emerald earrings from a cruise-line recommmended store in Cartagena a few years ago. We had them appraised after we got home by a certified independent who makes her living appraising jewellry. Her value for insurance, which is always more than you should pay at retail, was for less than we'd paid on the cruise. We used the cruise-line's guarantee process to get the difference refunded but it was an effort I'm not anxious to repeat and we still ended up paying too much.

I agree with the view above that it would be better to look at what's offered locally. We got a better deal on emerald earrings on 5th Avenue in New York than we did in Cartagena.

We bought a pair of emerald earrings from a cruise-line recommmended store in Cartagena a few years ago. We had them appraised after we got home by a certified independent who makes her living appraising jewellry. Her value for insurance, which is always more than you should pay at retail, was for less than we'd paid on the cruise. We used the cruise-line's guarantee process to get the difference refunded but it was an effort I'm not anxious to repeat and we still ended up paying too much.

I agree with the view above that it would be better to look at what's offered locally. We got a better deal on emerald earrings on 5th Avenue in New York than we did in Cartagena.

Thanks for the information, I'll do some research. Sorry for your buying experience. Never good to feel you've been taken!!

Thanks everyone for the info as I have some real thoughts about buying in Columbia.

Got some good info from everyone and want to thank you for that.

I will give some strong thoughts before buying and will do a little research.

Bottom line: Go slow and study up. Don't rush in.

Would it be any "safer" to buy from the ship? I found a ring on an RCI ship a couple of years ago that I loved but decided not to buy it and check on prices at home. I've not found anything that compared even on other cruises. Going on another cruise (Equinox) in a few weeks so will be looking again. Should I just forget emeralds and swithch to another gem?

Yes - you can get 'burned' buying gems - anywhere. You need to go to an established upmarket retailer. I didn't buy via Lee Miles but I believe he is in the Periena Gallo Shopping Plaza in Boca Grande. This is an upmarket shopping plaza in Cartagena's whealthiest neighborhood; it has numerous well established fine jewelers - jewelers trading on reputation not rip off. Study what you want to get (emeralds) online and converse with a trusted home town jeweler; get educated.

About 10 years ago I bought for DW a necklace and earings at Periena Gallo (if got the receipts somewhere) and I remain extremely happy with the purchase. The fact is there are excellent stones in Cartagena. But if you think you're going to get a 'steal' from export savvy Colombians... Ha - you're not! But the jewelry to look for is quality stones AND quality GOLDSMITHING! Goldsmithing is the lost art in the USA where we buy mountains of machine molded mediocrity. Colombian craftsmen have a unique, labor intense, culture graphic, beautiful way of working filagree that you just can't find or buy here. THAT'S WHAT YOU SHOULD LOOK FOR! Stones can be found anywhere althought there are great ones in Cartagena - but good stones in a unique Colombian gold filigree setting - now THAT's an heirloom souvenir! And if you make a substantial purchase there is nothing wrong with requesting a 25-30% discount (you'll get it or part of it often - not always - but often regardless of where you shop jewelry).

Good luck.

Archived