Portunus Club Changes

RJChatsworth

I don't suppose we know if basic members (i.e. less than 15 nights members) will qualify for the 'cruise price' discount on Portunus cruises? Will they still do these, in fact?

Reading the official booklet, I now understand that there is no such thing as a 'basic member'; you're not a member at all until you qualify for the Pacific tier (i.e. you've done 15 nights). So people who have done some P&O cruises but not yet reached 15 nights won't qualify for the reductions on the cruise price on the Portunus/Peninsular cruises. That was quite a perk, I think.

I also thought '15' Nights was a very crafty starting point too.

Most new cruisers start with a 14, 9 ,7 or 2n weekender cruise, to try cruising out, rarely do they go for long cruises until they know if its for them...so these newbies won't get into the loyality club until after their 2nd cruise, clever eh?:rolleyes:

u2cruiser stated "To those thinking the onboard spend discount is paltry, it's far more desirable for bar bills than the American lines and their 15% additional gratuity on top of already inflated prices."

My point regarding the paltry nature of the discounts is, that having spent 150 nights on board, if I spend £1000 on board, this will be reduced by £100 and I will still have £900 to pay. This is not a benefit offered to the low levels of members but rather restricted to those who have demonstrated their real loyalty over the years. It sounds like a great deal but in reality it truly isn't. For example, Cunard who are also a Carnival owned company offer a free internet package on every cruise which has a value of over £100 plus 20% discount on laundry, along with priority boarding and disembarkation. The 150 nights has already cost me, roughly, over £15,000 or £30,000 if you include the cost of my wife, or £60,000 if you include the rest of my family, and the hook to bring me back is only 10% reduction. If that were the start point at the base level and it increased in stages to 20%, it would be a different matter, but it doesn't. This won't stop me using P&O as I like their product and the way that it is delivered, I have 2 cruises totalling 49 days booked with them for 2011, so I think that I have demonstrated my loyalty but please be realistic about the value of the savings and work out how much your last bills were on board and see what it actually means in hard earned cash, and compare that to what you have spent on the holiday and in the past; I think that you will be surprised.

Morning Cap'n,

I can understand why you find the P&O loyalty scheme a bit lacking, compared to other lines. eg Princess's loyalty package reads far more impressive with free internet minutes, free laundry and elite lounge drinks etc. I'm not far off reaching platinum level myself on Princess, thanks to my P&O cruises being added, but the few benfits within that level won't keep me loyal to Princess as I like to try different things.

Your example of a £1000 spend still being £900 even with the 10% portunus discount may not seem much of an advantage on paper, but that £1000 spend on the American lines would become very roughly a third more then gratuities on top with no discount at all whatever level we are on (as far as I'm aware?), not to mention the $10.50 pp gratuities per day, so if we look at it in terms of overall cruise value rather than loyalty benefits I still think P&O deals are the best and most realistic. If they gave even more discount on onboard spend on already the lowest priced drinks at sea, they would soon be out of pocket if they half filled a ship with higher level returning guests, so the prices would have to increase.

Internet minutes are vastly inflated prices anyway. If they reduced the prices to a reasonable level I'm sure far more people would take advantage of it and then the free internet minutes for elite pax wouldn't be so appealing. P&O has free laundry facilities anyway whereas the lines offering free laundry for elites charge everyone else.

These are just my thoughts on the new loyalty scheme. I'm not really interested in Captain's drinks or such benefits, but I know many people are and I can understand how the new scheme may be a let down.

I have a Celebrity cruise booked for May, which was a great price, but boy, when I've looked at onboard prices it's either going to be the most sober cruise ever or the most expensive.

I also thought '15' Nights was a very crafty starting point too.

Most new cruisers start with a 14, 9 ,7 or 2n weekender cruise, to try cruising out, rarely do they go for long cruises until they know if its for them...so these newbies won't get into the loyality club until after their 2nd cruise, clever eh?:rolleyes:

I never could understand how you could become a member of the Portunus club after only a 2 night cruise. So extending that it makes more sense that you only become a member when you display some loyalty, which would be your second cruise at least. There is more logic now in that area, but I still don't understand the logic behind how they named the various tiers.

In an ideal world I would far prefer Cunard's scheme of giving a 5% discount off the cost of the cruise to all past passengers. Now that really makes a difference.

But at the end of the day, it doesn't stop us choosing the cruise that best suits our requirements.

I never could understand how you could become a member of the Portunus club after only a 2 night cruise. So extending that it makes more sense that you only become a member when you display some loyalty, which would be your second cruise at least. There is more logic now in that area, but I still don't understand the logic behind how they named the various tiers.

I've only had 1 cruise so far of 15 nights onboard (Transatlantic) and I've scraped in. This is what I meant earlier about 2012 new cruisers booking the 15 night option (overnight on the ship in Barbados) rather than 14 night option on the Transatlantics and they will be on the first tier after their first cruise. :) Maybe they'll remove the option when the new loyalty scheme comes into play? :eek:

There is more logic now in that area, but I still don't understand the logic behind how they named the various tiers.

Apparently they are named in reducing order of size, the smaller ones being more exclusive.

Brian

I know there are usually losers in all new systems but what is happening to me is quite poor.I cruised numerous times with P&O way before Portunus came along, no credit for that.I then cruised with P&O when they had the rule if you had a gap of more than 2 years they halved your points (which they abandoned), I think after lots of complaints as they were the only cruise line to do this.

So I really should have 210 points, but I have 105.My only cruise before next April will be a 2 nighter so I will lose everything.

Not impressed.

Yes, came on Thursday. Strangely the letter was only addressed to me but incuded my wifes points on the list as well.

Brian

Our was the same. I suppose that is efficiency on P&O's part and a saving on postage?

Someone on the Princess forums had received a Princess Captain's Circle magazine addressed to her house, in the name of her dead Mother in law who had never been on a Princess ship :D

:(As happy Sapphire Members of Portunas, steadily working toward Gold Status, we are disappointed that it seems unlikely we will ever attain the top levels of Peninsular - especially with having to maintain nights. We also mourn the fact that Princess nights will no longer count. We love P & O but fear the "Loyalty" element will be lost somewhat.

:(As happy Sapphire Members of Portunas, steadily working toward Gold Status, we are disappointed that it seems unlikely we will ever attain the top levels of Peninsular - especially with having to maintain nights. We also mourn the fact that Princess nights will no longer count. We love P & O but fear the "Loyalty" element will be lost somewhat.

I missed that about Princess points. We've only just managed to get them added to our P&O account. :eek:

Surely it's only Princess points which would otherwise have been earned after April 2012 that will no longer count. I certainly hope so. I must admit the Princess treatment of P&O nights seems to me to be far more generous than the other way round.

Surely it's only Princess points which would otherwise have been earned after April 2012 that will no longer count. I certainly hope so. I must admit the Princess treatment of P&O nights seems to me to be far more generous than the other way round.

They've only just given them to us this week, or should I say added them to our points after we emailed them about it, so must be after April 2012 when they no longer count.

I wonder if Princess will make any similar adjustments? Our pending P&O cruise is already listed as pending on Princess.

I believe any Princess points up to April 2012 will be accrued and retained and vice versa with P&O points on Princess. It is only after April 2012 that this will cease but points already accummulated will stay.

Brian

Archived