Favourite Cruise Line

DEEDIA

Costa is my favourite.

Exceptional value for money - especially for solo's like me, and they have some really unique itineraries. The ships are a mix of old pre Carnival & newer post Carnival...I prefer the older ships as they are smaller, more friendly and have more of an Italian feel & atmosphere to them, the crews are absolutely superb and if you like real authentic Italian food (not the stuff you get at the local Italian restaurant in the High Street), then Costa would suit you.

Some people do not like the multinational passengers & the announcements in 4-6 languages...but those announcements that are important regarding safety are the only ones done that way. There are no constant announcements for bingo or shuffleboard etc...its all in the daily paper that you get each evening, there is no shepherding or nannying, they let you decide what you want to do & when. Very relaxed...although generally there is a 75%+ formal outfit rate on gala nights which I love.

Unlike some of the other Carnival owned lines they have not forgotten their roots or their tradition, which to me is important. They are not governed by shirts & suits in Miami, they are very hands on from their base in Genoa....and it shows.

No, not a favourite....we've been on 5 lines, and enjoyed all....we're a little reluctant to travel on a US line at present, as our last one was an eye-opener for charging on board....I would like to try Indy or Eclipse now that the new drinks without automatic tips, are coming into being, but I'll have to persuade OH.

Jo.

P & O is easily winning the poll on this topic, with Cunard coming in second so far

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1353963

But if you add in all the US ships, it might be a different result. We've thoroughly enjoyed 2 out of 3 P&O cruises, without a thing we could say against them, but we enjoyed our 2 NCL cruises as much, and Princess we found similar to P&O. We couldn't really find a favourite.

Jo.

Well most of our sailings have been on RCI, I think its once you start collecting the Cruise Credits you become addicted. Saying that 3 more 1 already booked we will have gone as far as we want. (Diamond Status). We will then explore other Cruise Lines.

We did 2 P&O Cruisers aboard the Oceanea and the Oriana. I will say we did not like the Oceana and would not have sailed again if we had not already booked the Oriana. Boy that Ship was Beautiful.

Its a toss up between RCL and Celebrity for us, our perfect line would be a mix of the food and service on Celebrity and the entertainment on RCL.

I agree that the loyalty schemes keep us hooked, and now that we've reached Diamond its even harder to book something else!

Julie

No, not a favourite....we've been on 5 lines, and enjoyed all....we're a little reluctant to travel on a US line at present, as our last one was an eye-opener for charging on board....I would like to try Indy or Eclipse now that the new drinks without automatic tips, are coming into being, but I'll have to persuade OH.

Jo.

I am curious as to what you mean by "charging on board" and removing the "automatic tip". What do the other cruise lines charge for that P&O doesn't? Are you saying that P&O is removing the tip? or do they just hide it in the cost?

We are curious about P&O, looks like they have some great itineraries but their prices seem to be high. We are looking at doing a South America Cruise in 2012, there are 4 or 5 ships doing a South America repositioning. I like the itinerary for the P&O Adonia but the price seems to be twice as much as Princess, Celebrity or RCI.

I like their idea of "adult only" cruises too.

thanks

Mike

I am curious as to what you mean by "charging on board" and removing the "automatic tip". What do the other cruise lines charge for that P&O doesn't? Are you saying that P&O is removing the tip? or do they just hide it in the cost?

We are curious about P&O, looks like they have some great itineraries but their prices seem to be high. We are looking at doing a South America Cruise in 2012, there are 4 or 5 ships doing a South America repositioning. I like the itinerary for the P&O Adonia but the price seems to be twice as much as Princess, Celebrity or RCI.

thanks

Mike

P&O don't add a 15% service charge to drinks and all the main restaurants including deck buffets and deck grills are free unlike RCCI and some others. Tips are discretionary with a suggested minimum for restaurant waiters and cabin stewards only, unless you choose Freedom Dining, when the tips are added automatically.

Adonia is the most expensive ship of the fleet as she is adult only, and much smaller and is being marketed as closer to 4-5* rather than the more usual 3-4* of the rest of the fleet.

I like P&O a lot, especially when sailing as a solo. Cunard perhaps win if I'm with friends.

thanks

Mike

Hi....Independence of the Seas, and Celebrity Eclipse have removed the automatic bar tips 15% on cruises out of Southampton, as it's not a usual thing to tip a bartender in the UK, and they were losing a certain amount of custom. The former manager decided this in 2009, and it has given a friendlier face to the 2 companies, both part of RCI.

P&O suggests tips, which work out at £3 per day (about $4.50)

The line which I felt was charging a lot on board was NCL, which we've enjoyed twice, but felt that it was becoming a bit mean...on some sea days, there were few free activities, but plenty of highly priced ones.

Adonia is extremely popular- some cruises seemed to be booked up as soon as she was announced. This is partly because she's small enough to go into tempting ports and is child free. So, they can charge what they want! The larger child free ships will probably not be so expensive- that's Artemis, which is the same design as the Queens V and E, and the older Oriana, after Nov. this year.

I hope you find a suitable cruise- enjoy seeking! :)

Jo.

that's Artemis, which is the same design as the Queens V and E, and the older Oriana,

Artemis is a small ship and only takes around 1,200 pax. Are you sure you don't mean Arcadia? :)

P&O don't add a 15% service charge to drinks and all the main restaurants including deck buffets and deck grills are free unlike RCCI and some others. Tips are discretionary with a suggested minimum for restaurant waiters and cabin stewards only, unless you choose Freedom Dining, when the tips are added automatically.

Adonia is the most expensive ship of the fleet as she is adult only, and much smaller and is being marketed as closer to 4-5* rather than the more usual 3-4* of the rest of the fleet.

I like P&O a lot, especially when sailing as a solo. Cunard perhaps win if I'm with friends.

Not sure what you mean about restaurants on RCL not being free. The MDR, Windjammer buffet, Promenade cafe, and Sorrentos pizzeria (both on Indy) are all free as well as room service up to midnight and any deck buffets they put on. They have speciality restaurants at a charge the same as P and O. RCL ships don't usually have a deck grill. We have cruised on RCL without paying a penny extra for food and never felt like we missed out.

I agree that the drinks are more expensive but when you take into account the full cost of the cruise, tips, drinks etc I believe that many times they come out cheaper than P and O.

Julie

Royal Caribbean is my all time favourite Cruise.

Awesome ships and amazing facilities and utilities. Huge ship and best service and accommodation. My family always prefer to travel in this ship.

Also sailing on RCI we have no complaints about the food, you can pay the extra charge at either Speciality Restaurant which we have done once. The meal was awesome so as a one off we did not mind. I think the food has down graded a bit from when we first Cruised more run of the mill, the quantity and choice is still there but reduced quality, still good though.

Artemis is a small ship and only takes around 1,200 pax. Are you sure you don't mean Arcadia? :)

:o 'Course I do...I always thought my latent dyslexia would come out with so many P&O ships starting with "A"!

Jo. :rolleyes:

Archived