Swollen Ankles - Side effects of Cruising?

innlady1

I hate to resurrect an old thread but I think my story is worth telling. if it helps even one other person, it is worth it.

We were on the Zuiderdam in the Mediterranean in July. After a few days my left foot began to swell. My right foot as well, but not as much. At one point I had to buy a pair of sandals a size bigger just to be able to wear shoes. I did not got to the medical center because having some experience with DVTs I did not notice heat or redness and just attributed the swelling to the unbearable heat in the Mediterranean while we were there.

When we got home I went to the doctor who agreed that I probably did not have a DVTs but took a D-Dimer blood test to determine the presence of a blood clot and put me on Lasix to reduce the swelling, which it did. The nurse who called me a day or two later incorrectly told me that the test was negative and I was happy and went about my business.

Five weeks later found me in excruciating pain in my right side that sent me to the ER in a life-threatening condition. I had DVTs in my left leg behind the knee and four emboli (two in each lung).

I have learned a lesson the hard way. I should have gone to the ship medical center and had it checked out while on board. I should have insisted on an ultra sound when I got home. I should have, I should have. It is all too late.

I am on blood thinners. I have trouble breathing. I have to go for pulmonary rehab. All this could have been avoided had I not thought I was so smart and knew so much.

Don't ignore the swelling like I did. Get it checked out.

We have two cruises planned and we are not sure we can go.

Terri

So sorry to hear this, Terri.

I can't believe I am reading this, however. Back in August, I went for my pre-ops for shoulder replacement surgery. My EKG revealed Atrial Fibrillation (AFib), and I was sent to a cardiologist and my upcoming surgery postponed.

He put me on Eliquis and did an echocardiogram...and since then, several EKG's. The AFib is still there. However, he has said I can rebook the surgery so it is scheduled for 12/2. My new preops are this Friday.

Since being on Eliquis, no swollen ankles. So, I have to think I have had AFib for some time and because I was on Metoprolol for hypertension, it masked the AFib. The medication is given for both.

We have moved and I was so busy packing and falling asleep at night, forgetting to take my evening meds. That included the Metoprolol. Never again will I self diagnose!

A side effect of AFib is shortness of breath...I also have that.

I didn't look back to see, but I think I am the OP of this thread!

Sheila,

You are the OP. I just thought my information was valuable and may benefit others.

I really wasn't looking for sympathy, but it's nice. It was more to let others know that swelling is not something to take lightly. It may be nothing and go away when you get home, and then again, it may be something more, like it was in my case.

Get it checked out if it doesn't get better. Your life may depend on it.

Terri

Sheila,

You are the OP. I just thought my information was valuable and may benefit others.

I really wasn't looking for sympathy, but it's nice. It was more to let others know that swelling is not something to take lightly. It may be nothing and go away when you get home, and then again, it may be something more, like it was in my case.

Get it checked out if it doesn't get better. Your life may depend on it.

Terri

Exactly, Terri. When I got it checked out, I learned it was from Atrial Fibrillation (or commonly known as "AFib"). I thought it was from excess sodium, the heat and humidity, etc. It was not.

Since starting Eliquis (blood thinner) my ankles are no longer swollen.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention and I truly hope things get better for you and that you can go on your trips.

I have had a problem with swollen feet when on other lines but so far not on HAL.

Thanks again.

This has nothing to do with HAL. We flew to Rome and back. A few days into the cruise my fett began to swell. It could have happened on any ship or any line, it just happened on the Zuiderdam.

My point is don't ignore the symptoms. Don't self diagnose. It could be fatal. I am just lucky I'm here to write about it. I have a long road to recovery and it will take a long time to get my strength back. If I had gone to the ship Doctor, this might have been avoided.

Terri

I asked my doctor about this, and he said it's due to drinking alcohol. I rarely drink it at home, but when I do, I have noticed swelling ankles. He said his wife gets this every time they go to an all-inclusive resort and she drinks. He gave me the scientific explanation of why this happens (something about dilated blood vessels, which is why some drinking people get a "red face") but I can't quote that exactly.

I elevate my feet at night, drink plenty of water, and don't worry about it too much!

Terri, I'm glad you're getting the care you need and that you shared this so we can all be "heads up" when it comes to swollen feet.

We were on a river cruise a couple of years ago and one of our friends forgot to wear her compression stockings on the plane. Not the DVT you had, but an equally serious problem, and it also meant she didn't enjoy the trip as much as she could have. Not to mention receiving lectures from her physician daughter after she returned home. I'd like to recommend anyone flying long distances consider compression stockings, if for no other reason than to feel better on the plane.

Thanks for all the great tips, everyone. Good point on the water, odleka! Next time I'll bring water aboard. I was drinking what they offer at the pool which, of course, is the desalinated water.

I agree it is probably salt.

We both had the same experience on a 35-day cruise in the North Atlantic this summer - VoV. So it is not limited to warm cruises.

We use very little salt at home and only in cooking; not on the table.

We do drink alcohol but no more than at home.