Swollen Ankles - Side effects of Cruising?

innlady1

So glad to finally find out what is making my ankles swell so badly - and only on a cruise ship. Tomorrow we leave for another 7 day cruise and I will not drink coffee, tea or soup..NOR use ice in my drinks. I'm confident that this is the answer. Thank you all for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

I just returned from my 7th cruise - the first without huge swollen ankles! In fact, no swelling at all. The answer is: it's the ship's desalinated water. I gave up coffee, any juice that was reconstituted; soup - and ICE! How about that soda machine? How about the soda at the bar - ask for a can. You have to really pay attention to everything that has the ships water in it. Of course, don't drink the water. Drink bottled - maybe you can bring your own. This info is so important, I don't know how to get it out there except on Cruise Critic.

What a great topic. This has happened to me on many cruises and I thought it was just me. So this has been GREAT.

I know that on a different cruise line, I went to the spa for a massage. Of course she noticed my very swollen ankles and proceeded to tell me that I needed to detox and she could sell me all of these products to help. Ummmmm....I didn't do it, but this topic has been an eye opener. Thanks.

Cathy

'InnLady' -- Sheila' date=' my ankles were also extremely swollen on this same cruise that you took, and they started on the previous cruise. My lower legs were extremely itchy as well!

I haven't ever noticed this on previous cruises,; but the good thing is, that everything returned to normal within a few days after disembarking![/quote']

I had the same thing happen on my last cruise in January, i could put dents in my feet from my finger touching my feet. My lower legs itched like crazy as well.

Where can you find compression stockings?

I buy mine from Amazon.com or you can find them at Walgreens, Walmart etc.

There are different strengths of compression and also different sizes.

I realize this is an old thread but if anybody is regularly swelling while traveling definitely talk to your doctor. I say this as somebody who thought mine was nothing/minor and it ended up being not so minor.

How were you diagnosed with lymphedema? I've wondered about that too...I do recall when I was having PT following hip replacement, they were doing PT for people with lymphedema.

In my case, after we addressed the swelling caused by fluid retention, there was still mildly lumpy swelling. Another sign was the swelling would go down at night (when elevated) and return the next day.

Lymphedema is a blockage of the lymphatic system (typically in the legs or arms). It can be the disease itself, or it can be a sign of another disease, like kidney, lung, or heart problems, or a side effect of things like cancer treatments. It comes in several stages as well.

For my case (relatively mild) I have to wear mild support stockings when on my feet for more than short periods of time, and heavier compression stockings when traveling. I'm supposed to get up and walk around for a few minutes every hour, but keep my feet elevated as much as possible. I'm to avoid stressing my feet and ankles but conversely exercise is necessary so it's a balance. Also, I have to make sure to keep my fluid intake up. Another thing is being overweight can make it worse.

Interesting information and testimonies and genuine concerns.

On a lighter note, every time I cruise my tummy is swollen upon disembarkation!

Is that from the water or VSOP Brandy's at the Piano Bar?:D

Edited by aliaschief

LOL, Chief!

I just returned from my 7th cruise - the first without huge swollen ankles! In fact, no swelling at all. The answer is: it's the ship's desalinated water. I gave up coffee, any juice that was reconstituted; soup - and ICE! How about that soda machine? How about the soda at the bar - ask for a can. You have to really pay attention to everything that has the ships water in it. Of course, don't drink the water. Drink bottled - maybe you can bring your own. This info is so important, I don't know how to get it out there except on Cruise Critic.

I have always suspected that, as on the cruises that I consume mostly bottled water, I have not had the swelling problems. I try to drink at least one large bottle a day and it really helped! :D

My feet normally swell on cruises, last time they were so swollen I had to wear crocs to dinner.

I attributed it too much salt, I was drinking 2 bottles of water and sleeping with my feet elevated. Mom of course said it was gout and to stop drinking beer, always the positive thinker. :rolleyes:

It took a few days after I was home for the swelling to go down, I asked my doctor he just shrugged it off, saying it could have been a combination of salt and heat.

This cruise will be north so the heat shouldn't be a problem will just watch cut back on ice in the drinks.

Also the Wang Wangs

But not all the water on a ship is desalinated; they take on a lot of fresh water onboard. I wonder if tests have been done on the salt levels in desalinated water on ships?

But not all the water on a ship is desalinated; they take on a lot of fresh water onboard. I wonder if tests have been done on the salt levels in desalinated water on ships?

That's a good question, Peter...wish I knew the answer to that.

I buy mine from Amazon.com or you can find them at Walgreens, Walmart etc.

There are different strengths of compression and also different sizes.

I realize this is an old thread but if anybody is regularly swelling while traveling definitely talk to your doctor. I say this as somebody who thought mine was nothing/minor and it ended up being not so minor.

Thanks, I just bought my mother a pair from Amazon for our upcoming cruise on the Eurodam. Her legs were like logs by the end our last trip.

A trick I always do when I travel in a plane is to remove my shoes and only put them on when I need to walk on the plane, its so much more comfortable to just wear socks, this time I might just put on a pair of Crocs and switch them just before boarding the plane.

I also just returned from my first cruise without swollen ankles and for me it wasn't the water. I tried an earlier cruise drinking only my water and I had swollen ankles. This cruise I didn't have any soup (which I understand is highly salted) and I didn't have the swollen ankles. Another consideration is that where we were sailing was not hot. I wonder if the heat in conjunction with not having the soup made the difference?

I experienced swollen ankles for the first and only time a year ago on a Grand Circle river cruise in Holland. Weather was damp, but pretty chilly, not hot. There was lots and lots of walking, as is the norm on river cruises, and the swelling began about 5 or 6 days into the cruise. By the end of the day my ankles were huge, but by morning all was ok. Then it started in again. I hate to think it was the food, because the food was absolutely the best I've ever had in 700 days of cruising! I honestly think it was the damp weather and all the walking.

A trick I always do when I travel in a plane is to remove my shoes and only put them on when I need to walk on the plane, its so much more comfortable to just wear socks, this time I might just put on a pair of Crocs and switch them just before boarding the plane.

My mother's feet were so swollen, she could hardly get her shoes on, so that wouldn't work for her.

..... I wonder if the heat in conjunction with not having the soup made the difference?

I have had swollen ankles only twice in 11 cruises and both times it happened we were in hot (and humid) areas. The first time was the Panama Canal, and this time was the southern Caribbean. We have done 3 Med cruises with hot (but not humid) weather and I did not get swollen ankles. I try to do everything right, drink fluids and exercise, but nothing seems to help. I don't ever eat the soups anyway, and I drink the water onboard on all cruises so it can't be just the water (for me anyway)

Just happy I can see my ankles again this morning after returning home last night! :D

Ok, since I also suffer from swollen ankles and feet on cruises, I have surmised from this thread that I should only drink wine (hello! mixed drinks have ice made with ship water, people!), avoid too much walking (unless it is to find food to sustain breathing and a heart beat, which I find mandatory to the enjoyment of any cruise), stay away from the soups (hello again! who wants soup when you can have crab, or eggs benedict, or brie wrapped in crispy dough?) and sleep with my feet tied to the cute little towel monkey hanging from the ceiling.

I'm good to go! Thanks for all the great tips! :):D;)

Ok, since I also suffer from swollen ankles and feet on cruises, I have surmised from this thread that I should only drink wine (hello! mixed drinks have ice made with ship water, people!), avoid too much walking (unless it is to find food to sustain breathing and a heart beat, which I find mandatory to the enjoyment of any cruise), stay away from the soups (hello again! who wants soup when you can have crab, or eggs benedict, or brie wrapped in crispy dough?) and sleep with my feet tied to the cute little towel monkey hanging from the ceiling.

I'm good to go! Thanks for all the great tips! :):D;)

LOL. Love it.