Swollen Ankles - Side effects of Cruising?

innlady1

My feet and ankles were so swollen on my cruise to Asia last month I decided to go to the doc on board. He suggested it had a lot to do with the amount of salt in the foods served on board...even if you didn't add salt to your food.

It was HOT and we walked a lot...so maybe it was the combo of all!! I have had swollen feet after a long flight...but never lasted more than a day...He gave me an Rx and wanted me to keep my feet up as much as possible. Feet and ankles did improve after several days...and I did sleep with my feet up on a pillow.

So sounds like we are all getting the same advice..which is good to know!!! No long flights for me until 2/1 so have time to prepare...my just get those stockings!! LuAnn

I had swollen ankles and lower legs on the last cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse. This is something I have never had on the 4 other cruises we have been on, on other cruise ships. My legs and ankles didn't look like they were mine! We went to Iceland,Norway and Faroe islands on this cruise, it was warm but not very hot, lower than we get in the UK. I went to see my doctor when I got home, and found that it was one of my medications causing it, probably, that is for my Diabetes. The other cruises I did over the years I was not on meds for the condition. Doctor told me to come and see her before I go on another cruise to help me not have this happening again. I am off those tablets now as I had so much trouble with them. On a new drug, but will still ask her what I should do if it happens again. I have also read somewhere that on ships there is pressure, same as on aeroplanes!

We also had bottled water. Aqua class you get it in your cabin everyday

Edited by trollstigen

Glad to have found this thread/topic! I seem to always get the swollen ankles and feet when we cruise. Have been to the doctor in the past when we returned since I could hardly get my shoes on. This time we only have one week between cruises so I was really concerned that the swelling from the 7 day cruise wouldn't be down by the time we left for the 11 day.

Well, DH and I just bought recumbent trikes a month ago and we ride every day we're not cruising. I'm not a doctor but I think something about the recumbent position took the swelling away in two days. My feet are just like normal (I have fat ankles to begin with from numerous breaks) and all my shoes fit!

Now if I could just get rid of the extra three pounds I put on...

• 1 month later...

Off the Maasdam last week, and for the first time ever I didn't have swollen ankles. When in the MDR, I order salt free food from a menu given to me the night before. The food was surprisingly good, and I did add just a drop of salt if I felt it needed it. I drank bottled water, but did have coffee, iced tea, etc. No soups at all, not even the usual taste of the cold soups which I missed, but I didn't miss the swollen feet or ankles and we were in a hot and humid climate.

Carol, glad that you were able to make changes that saved you from the swollen ankles.

Good to keep some of those ideas in mind as you never know when you will need to follow them.

I am a physician who deals with edema on a regular basis, and surprised to learn this is such a problem for cruisers. Glancing through the posts, there are many very good and sound suggestions. I also learned a thing or two, eg., bottle water vs. ship’s tap water. Here’s my 2 cents:

-- bilateral edema as a sign of underlying serious condition – in developed countries, one should consider relatively common congestive heart failure (usually associated with breathing problem), and less common nephrotic syndrome (a protein leaking kidney disorder). A qualified medical doctor could easily rule them out .

-- lymphedema, is a specific condition that’s generally iatrogenic (caused by medical treatment) in developed countries, eg, radiation of axillary (arm pit) lymph nodes for breast cancer, and surgical removal of lymph nodes for various reasons.

After above 2 exceptions, most of the posters are likely suffering from the very common venous insufficiency edema. Basically, the leg veins could not squeeze the blood upward towards the heart efficiently, causing accumulation of fluids. Most of the precipitating factors were mentioned – high salt intake, gravity (prolonged upright position), atmospheric pressure change, higher temperature. Other risk factors are age, old injury/surgery to legs, and obesity. There are medications causing edema side effects, most common are – calcium channel blockers (for BP, heart condition), and Actos for diabetes.

All the treatment I could think of was mentioned on the thread: salt restriction, leg elevation, compression stockings, cardiovascular exercises, and diuretics (last resort). Of course, weight loss was conveniently omitted by cruisers.:) The most common diuretic, in US, would be furosemide (Lasix). However, it has to be used with caution. It could cause potassium depletion, kidney irritation and “bathroom” emergency (as in “I need to pee now, where’s *&^ bathroom”). Some sufferers will develop reddish and itchy skin rash due to edema induced soft tissue, skin irritation. The good news is that this condition is more of a nuisance problem (can’t wear shoes) than of serious medical sequelea (leg amputation, gangrene).

So let me raise a glass of “bottled” water, and wish you all happy cruising, edema or not.

Off the Maasdam last week, and for the first time ever I didn't have swollen ankles.

Congratulations, Carol. I am very interested in the results you had.

Although I have cut back on salt significantly, I am loath to give it up entirely. And to miss the chilled soups that I only get cruising??? :eek: Not in this lifetime.

But, for the most part, my eating habits on the ship are not vastly different from at home. Only the edema is, and it goes away within 2-3 days of returning home.

I am curious as to whether or not drinking bottled water---which I would never consider at home---makes a difference. When I sail Oceania, since bottled water is included in the fare, I'll pay particular attention to see if that makes a difference. If so, I'll bite the bullet and purchase bottled water when I sail HAL again.

An interesting experiment awaits! :D

On my last cruise, I didn't have any soups except for one night (legs swollen next day), drank the ship's water and was not in an area with higher temps. I'm convinced for me the higher temps make all the difference. I have only found the higher temps when I have cruised the Caribbean not when I did Europe In the Med. or on a river cruise (in the fall, not in sumer), Australia and NZ this past winter (summer for them but it was cool). I think it is a combination of factors.

I am a physician who deals with edema on a regular basis, and surprised to learn this is such a problem for cruisers. Glancing through the posts, there are many very good and sound suggestions. I also learned a thing or two, eg., bottle water vs. ship’s tap water. Here’s my 2 cents:

-- bilateral edema as a sign of underlying serious condition – in developed countries, one should consider relatively common congestive heart failure (usually associated with breathing problem), and less common nephrotic syndrome (a protein leaking kidney disorder). A qualified medical doctor could easily rule them out .

-- lymphedema, is a specific condition that’s generally iatrogenic (caused by medical treatment) in developed countries, eg, radiation of axillary (arm pit) lymph nodes for breast cancer, and surgical removal of lymph nodes for various reasons.

After above 2 exceptions, most of the posters are likely suffering from the very common venous insufficiency edema. Basically, the leg veins could not squeeze the blood upward towards the heart efficiently, causing accumulation of fluids. Most of the precipitating factors were mentioned – high salt intake, gravity (prolonged upright position), atmospheric pressure change, higher temperature. Other risk factors are age, old injury/surgery to legs, and obesity. There are medications causing edema side effects, most common are – calcium channel blockers (for BP, heart condition), and Actos for diabetes.

All the treatment I could think of was mentioned on the thread: salt restriction, leg elevation, compression stockings, cardiovascular exercises, and diuretics (last resort). Of course, weight loss was conveniently omitted by cruisers.:) The most common diuretic, in US, would be furosemide (Lasix). However, it has to be used with caution. It could cause potassium depletion, kidney irritation and “bathroom” emergency (as in “I need to pee now, where’s *&^ bathroom”). Some sufferers will develop reddish and itchy skin rash due to edema induced soft tissue, skin irritation. The good news is that this condition is more of a nuisance problem (can’t wear shoes) than of serious medical sequelea (leg amputation, gangrene).

So let me raise a glass of “bottled” water, and wish you all happy cruising, edema or not.

I brought my 88 yr old mother to her doctor 4 days before our 13 day transatlantic on the Eurodam and mentioned to him how bad the bilateral edema in her legs is on cruises. I asked for a water pill and he agreed. He had to cut back on her BP med and added 37.5 triamtermene to take daily for the duration of the cruise. She did not have swollen ankles the entire trip, but did complain about being very dizzy a few days. I checked her BP and it was OK.

Ellen

But not all the water on a ship is desalinated; they take on a lot of fresh water onboard. I wonder if tests have been done on the salt levels in desalinated water on ships?

An interesting question, Peter. My ankles swell, too, while on board...but it's difficult to avoid the water. I can't go without my coffee in the morning...it's difficult to avoid ice tea, ice cubes, etc.

I usually have a lot of ankle swelling on a cruise - never at home.

This past one I drank mostly bottled water, avoided the hot soups, salad dressings and anything highly salted and had almost no trouble at all.

I did see a lot of women with swollen ankles though - I suspect that the desalination process does leave a lot more than the usual sodium in the

water and the food is very highly salted - we don't use salt at home at all but flavour foods with herbs, garlic and onion instead.

Off the Maasdam last week, and for the first time ever I didn't have swollen ankles. When in the MDR, I order salt free food from a menu given to me the night before. The food was surprisingly good, and I did add just a drop of salt if I felt it needed it. I drank bottled water, but did have coffee, iced tea, etc. No soups at all, not even the usual taste of the cold soups which I missed, but I didn't miss the swollen feet or ankles and we were in a hot and humid climate.

Interesting. On my last cruise ( my longest (so far:) ) at 20 days I had pedal edema toward the end. There is no doubt I was eating tons more salt than I do at home. (I watched as one of the cooks put at

Heaping teaspoon of salt into several cups of squash she was sautéing :eek:

Maybe next time I'll go to the dining-room more frequently ( and request low sodium) and the Lido less.

I mentioned to someone today that throughout our recent cruise and since returning home from FL, my ankles have been swollen...really swollen. This happens every year so that for the last three, I've done the low sodium menu for dinner (but who knows how much sodium is in the food at the Lido at lunch or breakfast!).

She thought it would be a good topic for CC as it happens to her, too. So I'm throwing it out here.

We went from 18 degrees in MA to sunny FL and then 80 degrees throughout our cruise...plus the humidity. When we returned to FL for a few days, it was in the mid 70's.

I've started increasing my water intake and that seems to ahve helped today. I drank lots of water while sitting by the pool on the ship but perhaps with the increase in temps, it wasn't enough.

Has anyone else had this happen while cruising the Caribbean (or other warm climates)?

I have not had a problem wth swollen ankes at sea. I get mine on dry land!

HI,

I also suffered from terrible swelling until two cruises ago when I discovered if I eliminated most of the ship water I was drinking and went to bottled water the swelling disappeared....I eat the reg food just stay away from the ice water and ice tea .....stick to bottled water, soda...and voila...no swollen ankles. I had heard on a previous thread that is was the desalinated water that was the culprit....worth a try. It also worked for my sister who suffered much worse than I and was forced to have her legs elevated everyday to help with the swelling...she tried it on her last cruise and not one bit of swelling.

• 1 year later...

Well.........mine wouldn't swell from lack of walking on a cruise ship because I walk much more there than I do at home. I figured it was the fact that I did walk so much and also the sodium in the food and the salt air.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, this is really interesting. I've just been on a two-week cruise to Spitsbergen and further north. I have suffered from swollen ankles occasionally previously but only in very hot weather and on long flights and couldn't understand why my ankles were swollen as I didn't fly and the weather wasn't that hot. I am relieved that this appears to be a not uncommon side effect of cruising. I've been home for a few days and thankfully my ankles are back to normal. Thanks for all the preventative suggestions.

Thanks for all the great tips, everyone. Good point on the water, odleka! Next time I'll bring water aboard. I was drinking what they offer at the pool which, of course, is the desalinated water.

i suffer from this and find its a combination of change in temperature, all the walking I do, dehydration and the richer foods.

I always drink lots of water and try to eat well but t's never quite as clean a diet as i have at home. I had a particularly bad experience in Cuba where my fingers and arms swelled too. The concierge at the hotel saw I was in pain and told me to try dandelion tea and sitting in the cool pool water or a cool bath. Since then I've taken dandelion tea with me everywhere and it works a treat.

HAL over salts nearly everything.

I have learned to ask for food unseasoned.

HAL should consider that people with high blood pressure should not be eating a lot of salt.

I saw a copy of what HAL considers "lower sodium" -- ugh. Wish I had a copy of it.

I couldn't agree more. I never add salt to my food, either when cooking or when eating, and I almost gag when I eat come dishes when cruising. Not just on HAL, either. Certain dishes, like soups, I simply learned to never order, no matter how tempting they sound. :(

i suffer from this and find its a combination of change in temperature, all the walking I do, dehydration and the richer foods.

I always drink lots of water and try to eat well but t's never quite as clean a diet as i have at home. I had a particularly bad experience in Cuba where my fingers and arms swelled too. The concierge at the hotel saw I was in pain and told me to try dandelion tea and sitting in the cool pool water or a cool bath. Since then I've taken dandelion tea with me everywhere and it works a treat.

This is the first I have heard of dandelion tea.