Disadvantages to Cruising Alaska in Early June?

esquire20

About the only thing that comes to mind is that this is too early to see the salmon runs (and the bears that feed on the salmon). Other than that, you'll have long days, especially when you get to the land part of the tour, as in there will be little real darkness at night when you get up to Denali.

Hello Everyone, Thinking of doing Princess cruisetour in early June NB, was wondering what would be any negatives if any, by going to Alaska during this time of year, thanks Leslie

The most obvious would be the greater "possibility" of cooler/cold weather.

Agree with the above, the negatives might be positive to most

Smaller groups typicallly so less people with fewer children (could be a negative if kids club is important).

Weather is a toss up, this last year late May early June had some spectacular weather.

Plently of sunlight, light almost 19 hours per day. A negative if you don't like the sun.

For the tour portion I don't have first hand knowledge, but recall reading there is increased chance of some areas being still closed but I think by June everything is normally up and running.

Salmon aren't running, less chance of seeing bears at salmon feeding spots (some chance still if they are out feeding on grass).

Early June like September is a shoulder season for Alaska and that is why prices tend to be less expensive. Like others have said, it will tend to be wetter and cooler than other parts of the season, you also run the risk of low cloud and fog. My personal choice would to be to avoid a sailing before at least mid-June but as others have pointed out there are advantages to going at that time of year.

I disagree that June is the "shoulder" season, and there are fewer crowds, absolutely not true. Every ship is on the full schedule and the ships sail full. All tours are running.

The "disadvantage" will be IF You don't do your homework on your cruisetour- many people do not know what they are purchasing and rely on what sounds good. (which may not be) There are MANY factors to the land portion that Princess, just does a poor job.

The "disadvantage" will be IF You don't do your homework on your cruisetour- many people do not know what they are purchasing and rely on what sounds good. (which may not be) There are MANY factors to the land portion that Princess, just does a poor job.

Uh oh, you have me a bit worried here. Do you have an example of what Princess does a poor job at? I've already reserved my cruisetours/excursions for our SB trip in June.

Hello Everyone, Thinking of doing Princess cruisetour in early June NB, was wondering what would be any negatives if any, by going to Alaska during this time of year, thanks Leslie

there is no bad time during the cruise season for alaska. i will get on the ship any month or day too cruise there . :D

Uh oh, you have me a bit worried here. Do you have an example of what Princess does a poor job at? I've already reserved my cruisetours/excursions for our SB trip in June.

Princess brochure doesn't clearly inform you how much transit time is included, and how much time you have AT each location. You have to read carefully and compare with the park, train and other websites to figure out what is really included. The Natural History Tour sounds wonderful but it covers pretty much the same thing as the free shuttle that anybody can take over the first few paved miles. Their schedule may not allow you to choose other options. None of the accommodations are IN Denali Park and the McKinley one is pretty far away from any options in Talkeetna, so you lose a lot of time shuttling back and forth.

Depends how "early June" you mean. The shuttle buses at Denali don't go all the way into the park (Wonder Lake/Kantishna) until June 8th. That could be a disadvantage for many.

The most obvious is that most Princess cruisetours only include the Natural History Tour. Also, most spend at least one, many spend two nights at the remote McKinley Princess Lodge. I can't imagine spending that kind of $$ on a cruisetour and having to "live with" those two "poor" features.

What is your cruisetour???

The Natural History tour is a waste of time, and does NOT get you into the park, You need 2 nights at Denali Park. Most have no idea how long they are in transit, or distances. The McKinley Princess is a "holding tank", and out in the middle of nowhere. Not a good use of time at the expense of the Denali Princess. Budget 50% more for meals than you would at home. Princess trains has assigned table seating of 4, with 2 riding backwards.

Archived