New to Celebrity

huskerdan25

Hi everyone! My wife and I are Princess loyalists (at least so far after 5 cruises) and have yet to cruise on another line. We have been going back and forth on what cruise line we would try. We decided on Celebrity after talking with our TA. We were considering HAL and RCCL but wanted to try something that is considered a bit more upscale (HAL and RCCL felt too similar to our experiences with Princess based on research and we wanted something a bit different). I guess our cruise in December on the Solstice will support our thoughts about Celebrity being more upscale or prove otherwise.

We booked an Aqua class cabin and are really excited about experiencing it along with the perks. We usually book balconies with Princess (our recent Sapphire cruise in Jan, we had an inside for the first time) and from the brochures, the aqua class cabins look fantastic. Also, on our last cruise, we purchased the use of the thermal grotto and absolutely loved it and the Persian Garden and Relaxation Room looks like a similar setup. We are glad it is part of the perks of the Aqua class as we paid $99 pp to enjoy the thermal grotto on the Sapphire.

Anyway, we are excited to be joining the Celebrity family and expect a great cruise with Celebrity. We have had 5 great cruises with Princess and we are pretty easy to please so we expect the same (or better) with Celebrity. Since we are cruise veterans, we probably won't have too many questions but we plan to search for answers on this forum. I'm sure everyone here will gladly share their experiences with Celebrity should we ask some questions :)

Dan (and Maddy)

We were Princess loyalists--who on two occasions were upgraded to full Penthouse Suites--but thought there was a real downturn in service, amenities, and food so we tried HAL. That was okay, but not great.

I had sailed on Celebrity about 13 years ago and so we decided to go with the Eclipse.

And there will be no turning back. Absolutely the best cruise ever. We, too, were AquaClass. I started a thread with a review if you want to go read through it.

Note: The Persian Gardens and Relaxation Room and Solarium Pool are all very nice but there is NO thermal spa on the ship. You'll have to make do with hot tubs, saunas, steam rooms, aromatherapy showers, etc.

We were Princess loyalists--who on two occasions were upgraded to full Penthouse Suites--but thought there was a real downturn in service, amenities, and food so we tried HAL. That was okay, but not great.

I had sailed on Celebrity about 13 years ago and so we decided to go with the Eclipse.

And there will be no turning back. Absolutely the best cruise ever. We, too, were AquaClass. I started a thread with a review if you want to go read through it.

Note: The Persian Gardens and Relaxation Room and Solarium Pool are all very nice but there is NO thermal spa on the ship. You'll have to make do with hot tubs, saunas, steam rooms, aromatherapy showers, etc.

I suspect we will love Celebrity and we are looking forward to the experience. I will definitely check out your review. Thanks!

Actually, the thermal grotto we did on the Sapphire had the heated ceramic tables and 3 different levels of steam rooms along with the great showers where you get hit with water from many directions. So, sounds like the Lotus Spa/thermal grotto is very similar to the Persian Gardens and the Solarium Pool.

Welcome to Celebrity, one old salt to another. Took my wife a few years to talk me into paying to back to Sea, but wow, now I'm the one who keeps signing us up. We love Celebrity....loved All our cruises, but always start with Celebrity and only go with another Line for an Itinerary or join friends.

We just finished our 2nd Princess cruise (Golden Hawaii cruise) and have one more in Aug, Crown, going around the UK. Enjoyed Princess, but I think you'll find Celebrity a step up especially with AQ.

You'll find the standard Celebrity SR has a couch and seats you can have friends over and use...upgraded to mini-suite on Princess to get that. Service is outstanding on both and I found the dining fine in both Lines. But with AQ Class, Blu is fantastic, in my subjective opinion. And the Solstice buffet has many stations and what I thought was a lot more selections.

Celebrity seems to layout their ships and common areas so you just don't seem to feel that many people are on board with you. I was a bit worried about the Solstice size, but it was great...no crowds. And the theater holds many more - on our Princess cruise, you had to get to the show very early to get seats. We had no problem on Solstice, or other Celebrity ships, getting seats 15min prior to the show.

Enough. You'll make your own opinion but if you enjoyed Princess and as you say, not hard to please, I think you'll really enjoy your Solstice cruise.

Let us know what you think when you get back. Welcome aboard sailor.

Den

Thanks for your input, Den!

I do have a question. On Princess, you can reserve excursions through the cruise line but not have to pay for them immediately but through your onboard account. What about with Celebrity? Do you pay in advance or via your onboard account?

Thanks!

Thanks for your input, Den!

I do have a question. On Princess, you can reserve excursions through the cruise line but not have to pay for them immediately but through your onboard account. What about with Celebrity? Do you pay in advance or via your onboard account?

Thanks!

With Celebrity you need to pay immediately if you book an excursion prior to the cruise.

What about making reservations for the specialty restaurants prior to the cruise? Pre-paid? Do we risk not getting a reservation in a specialty restaurant if we wait until embarkation day?

Again, thanks!

Hi,:) if you see a day and time you prefer on line? If you choose to

book that way then yes your credit card will be charged at that time.

They do normally leave times available for folks who book after they

board the ship so you can do it that way as well.

Oh, Welcome to Celebrity and enjoy your cruise:)

Archived