Santorini or Athens

lia_b

Hi,

Trying to decide between an 7 day Greek cruise that includes Santorini or the other that includes Athens at end of July or beginning of August. We are looking at NCL, since it provides the most economical prices for a family of four. RCL was about 2K more. We also looked at MSC and Costa but we found a lot of negative reviews, so we scratched those off.

DH likes the beaches and Greek islands idea and is leaning towards the Santorini cruise. DD (14) likes the idea of seeing the Parthenon and Acropolis. She loves Greek mythology. DD (19) and I would love to see both. Unfortunately, we cannot do the 14 day cruise that is really a back to back cruise from Venice. Too long and close to beginning of school year.

The Athens cruise also goes to Dubronik, Split, Izimir (Turkey). The Santorini cruise goes to Corfu, Mykonos, Katakolon.

Would love to hear from people who have been to both to try to help us decide which cruise to go with.

Thank you.

Hi,

Trying to decide between an 7 day Greek cruise that includes Santorini or the other that includes Athens at end of July or beginning of August. We are looking at NCL, since it provides the most economical prices for a family of four. RCL was about 2K more. We also looked at MSC and Costa but we found a lot of negative reviews, so we scratched those off.

DH likes the beaches and Greek islands idea and is leaning towards the Santorini cruise. DD (14) likes the idea of seeing the Parthenon and Acropolis. She loves Greek mythology. DD (19) and I would love to see both. Unfortunately, we cannot do the 14 day cruise that is really a back to back cruise from Venice. Too long and close to beginning of school year.

The Athens cruise also goes to Dubronik, Split, Izimir (Turkey). The Santorini cruise goes to Corfu, Mykonos, Katakolon.

Would love to hear from people who have been to both to try to help us decide which cruise to go with.

Thank you.

hello,

I have been to both these ports of call, and will be going back to both again beginning of may with RCC.

they have both got a lot going for them but if I had to chose I would prefer santorini, it is just so beautiful, very pretty island.

there is a lot to see and do in Athens, especially if your into history,

but another thing to think about is the strikes in athens, so if it all kicks off again the ship might not actually stop at that port anyway......

Although you also mention dubrovnik and split these are also very nice ports to visit, so you do have a tough choice to make....

remember greek ports at that time of year are going to be very hot.....

you'll enjoy your cruise whatever decision you make, and there's always next year;)

Hi,

Thank you.

Um....I suppose the good news is that both are great itineraries. The bad is that I don't know you're going to make the decision :) If it's any help here are some videos I made from my days at some of your stops :

Athens - Acropolis and a stroll around the Agora

Dubrovnik - A walk around the walls

Santorini - Caledra view, Perissa Beach, Donkeys and the Volcano/Hot Spring tour

Corfu - the Old Town

Olympia (from Katakolon) - the famous Olympic site and the Archaelogical Musuem

Good luck !

Tony

Hi,

Thank you.

Hi, I hated NCL so I'm trying MSC this year :rolleyes:

Well, we've visited most of those cities. I particularly liked Myconos. Santorini is very "the image you have of Greece" but that's that, I didn't really find there was much to do except stroll around Oia. Athens to me was important because I really wished to visit the Acropolis but it was crowded, I trully enjoyed it but if it doesn't say much to you... maybe you can take into account the fact that the Acropolis is crowded with tourists, so a bit to the difficult to visit side. There must be lots of other things to visit in Athens, we went to the Acropolis, then did a visit of the Olympic stadium and the centre of the city which is also very beautifull. It's hard to say, I would prefer to visit the Acropolis but if it's not important to you then you can consider the visit to Oia which is truly Greek image. When you see the images of Greece, with the lovely views... that's Oia (Santorini), we did take a lot of pictures there but that's about all you do there :cool: I still find it fabulous and worth the visit, of course, I'm just telling you the difference. Athens maybe has more to visit, Oia is the Greek "image".

oia-churches.jpg

The Athens cruise ports are heavy with ancient history and glorious buildings. The other cruise has the islands...fun on the beach and novel villages- although the ancient history is also there. I couldn't say which is better for you- I've enjoyed most of these ports for different reasons. The first will take a lot of walking round sites, and reading up on information; the 2nd may have fun things to do.

Is this on Jade?- a favourite of ours, so much so that we've been on her twice.

Jo.

The Athens cruise ports are heavy with ancient history and glorious buildings. The other cruise has the islands...fun on the beach and novel villages- although the ancient history is also there. I couldn't say which is better for you- I've enjoyed most of these ports for different reasons. The first will take a lot of walking round sites, and reading up on information; the 2nd may have fun things to do.

Is this on Jade?- a favourite of ours, so much so that we've been on her twice.

Jo.

I agree with Jo. The Athens cruise is "history" while the Santorini cruise is "beach vacation/scenery". Only you can decide which appeals to you more.

(I'd pick history!) :)

It's definitely a choice between beaches or history. I would just add that if it were me, the fact that my teenage daughter was interested in Greek mythology and asking to go to Athens would tip the scale for me. It's wonderful to see your children engaged and enthusiastic about learning while on vacation - one of the best parts of traveling with your children.

Lisa

Thank you Everyone for the great replies and Tony for the videos. We will look at them together. What a great idea!

It is on the NCL Jade. I am afraid of any unrest in Athen might have the ship skip the port. That would be really dissapointing.

Thank you Everyone for the great replies and Tony for the videos. We will look at them together. What a great idea!

It is on the NCL Jade. I am afraid of any unrest in Athen might have the ship skip the port. That would be really dissapointing.

I really wouldn't worry about that unduly. As I recall, for the whole of last year's Med season, there were only a total of 3 ships that missed calling in Piraeus (one time each). Most of the strikes and demonstrations do not affect visitors at all. It is only when they call for a strike that causes closure of tourist sites that you would be impacted -- as I said, these are VERY uncommon.

I spent several days before and after my cruise in Athens last September. There is nothing to fear there and a lot to see and do.

We have been to all the ports listed (some..several times) and think both itineraries are great, but also totally different. The Santorini, Mykonos itinerary is great for a more laid-back Greek Island thing and would suit folks that want a relaxing trip that does allow some beach days, some historical options (such as Olympia) and would actually be good for those wanting to limit their port expenditures (places like Santorini, Mykonos and even Katakolon can be managed on your own at little cost. The other itinerary (Athens, Dubrovnik, etc) includes some amazing ports for those interested in walking tours, history, ruins, etc...but this will involve spending more money in your ports. As an example, a visit to Izmir gives you an opportunity to go to Ephesus...but this involves some distance and cost. These are personal decisions and there is no right or wrong...just what best fits your wants and budget.

Hank

Most good online cruise travel agents have extended search functions where you can put in the "must see" ports. If I do that for Athens and Santorini with a well known American website (sorry cannot mention names here), I come up with a lot of cruises that do both. Take out the lines you don't want (MSC) or the ones that are too expensive (Windstar) and there are still quite a few left. For example: Star Princess 29th July or the RCCL Splendour of the Seas 5th August. We have happened to be on both, and liked both.

Does the "beach day" have to be in Santorini? There are loads of Greek islands with good beaches. European holidaymakers who go for the beaches go to Crete, Rhodos, Kos, Corfu, to name just a few of the major islands. There are good beaches in or near the Turkish ports of Kusadasi, Alanya or Izmir too.

I would not put too much emphasis on the brand or size of ship in the Med, since you will not spend that much time on board. It is an early call every day and you spend most of your days sightseeing off the ship.

Honestly, for me, Europe IS history! I don't go to Europe for the beaches. If I need to go to the beach I use one of our family's beach homes nearby or go on a Caribbean cruise. To me it's a complete waste to plan an Aegean cruise and then spend time on the beach.

Since one of your daughters is into history, and the other likes both, you might also try checking for cruises out of Rome that go to Athens and other places. Our upcoming 7 nt. RCCL Navigator cruise is out of Rome and has stops at Sicily, Athens, Kusadasi and Crete. A couple of our group may use the Crete stop as a quiet, slow shopping/beach day.

I did alot of European touring from age 16-22. If I had not, I would likely have not gotten to many of those places. It's been almost 30 years since my last time in Europe and I am finally getting back again this summer. But I have had several Caribbean, Mexico and South American trips in between.

I guess if it were me I would let my daughters decide. You don't have that much more time with a 14 yo or a 9 yo that you can do family stuff.

Archived