when do you choose a seat on flight?

Suzque49

We book ez-air for our OCT 2011(226 days out) cruise on-line with Princess. After I saw the money post to my credit card (3 days) later. I took the confirmation number went on-line to United and was able to get my seats and put the reservation on our United milage number. I also upgrated to economy plus. Which is what we wanted. I also have my e-ticket printed and in my cruise folder, just have to check-in 24 hours before I leave.

So you should be able to do it now.

We also have a TA for the cruise, I did this all myself on-line. So have fun

Thanks

It depends on the airline and their seating policies. Most US airlines will allow you to choose your seats as soon as you book (they do reserve a % of seats to be reserved at the airport, so if the flight is getting full you may not be able to choose seats until you get to the airport). Other airlines will only allow you to book seats in advance if you pay for them, otherwise you get your seat assignment at check-in.

I recently used EZAir to book a flight in May.

Selecting seats was part of the EZAir booking process when I did it.

I did the same for an August cruise. But when I looked at the airlines' reservation pages online a couple of weeks later, the seats weren't assigned. So I picked seats on the airlines' sites directly.

Good Luck if you are flying American. We chose our seats when we booked the flight 6 months ago. Checked in online 24 hours before flight - seats unchanged since original assignment. Got to the airport to check bags and our seats had been changed! This happened to 4 of us. Same thing happened last time we flew American. Their explanation is that they assign seats only when you check in at the airport. Any seat assignment before that is just a customer "request"!!! What the heck?

Luckily, the flight wasn't full so we were able to get our original seats back. Last time, we didn't get to sit together. Why do companies get to treat us this way?

Oh well, that was yesterday! Today we board the Island Princess for 15 days! It's all good now!:D

The airlines rule is 120 days out. So I call the airlines as soon as possible and have them book you or your TA will.

What airlines? I've never heard of that.

Most airlines will let you select seats the minute you've made a reservation. Some, like BA, will not let you chose unless you pay a premium (about $30 per leg) to chose a seat at time of booking or you can wait until 24 hrs. prior to departure and scramble to chose them then. This is the exception though, not the norm.

As far as I know, AK and Delta let you chose as soon as you book. If you've booked EZ Air and didn't select seats at that time, all you need is your Record Locater # (6 letter code) and you can call the airline to chose seats or do it online. Go to SeatGuru to read up first on your aircraft so you're informed before you choose seats.

We are booked with EZ Air for our TA and Baltic in April. As soon as we booked the cruise and paid for the air (September 2010), went on AA site, entered our ff number and chose our seats. For BA, we cannot chose our seats until 24 hours prior to flight.

Good Luck if you are flying American. We chose our seats when we booked the flight 6 months ago. Checked in online 24 hours before flight - seats unchanged since original assignment. Got to the airport to check bags and our seats had been changed! This happened to 4 of us. Same thing happened last time we flew American. Their explanation is that they assign seats only when you check in at the airport. Any seat assignment before that is just a customer "request"!!! What the heck?

Luckily, the flight wasn't full so we were able to get our original seats back. Last time, we didn't get to sit together. Why do companies get to treat us this way?

Oh well, that was yesterday! Today we board the Island Princess for 15 days! It's all good now!:D

American is our preferred carrier. For flights we've had booked through Princess we go immediately to the airline web site with the booking number and choose our seats. We've always gotten the same seats we chose online.

That explanation is from a lazy employee, and is simply not the way American does business.

Have a fun cruise!

Well, I went to the airline sites to select our seats. No problem with the Delta site, but when I selected the seats on Alaska Air and clicked on save and exit, it wouldn't save.

Another question, what are the best seats in economy class in your opinion?

(I selected the seats right in front of the wing.)

Well, I went to the airline sites to select our seats. No problem with the Delta site, but when I selected the seats on Alaska Air and clicked on save and exit, it wouldn't save.

See post #8

Just don't pick the seats directly in front of an exit row. They won't recline fully. Again, check http://www.seatguru.com for details.:)

Ok thanks, I'll try again tonight.

The seats I was looking at are just in front of the wing, row 10 or 11, depending on the airline. I went to the seatguru site as you suggested, thats where I linked to the airlines. Thanks for all your good suggestions.

I rechecked the airline sites tonight. Alaska Air shows the selected seats, but Delta doesn't and won't let me select them. When I select seats and click on save and exit, the stupid thing won't save at all. grrrrrrr. I sent an email to Delta customer service to see what they have to say. According to the site, there are only 2 seats together in the area of the plane I wanted. We'll see if they answer. If I can't reserve those seats, I may change that flight to Alaska Air, (I got the flexable fare) it was a little more money, but departed earlier and lets me select seats.

I rechecked the airline sites tonight. Alaska Air shows the selected seats, but Delta doesn't and won't let me select them. When I select seats and click on save and exit, the stupid thing won't save at all. grrrrrrr. I sent an email to Delta customer service to see what they have to say. According to the site, there are only 2 seats together in the area of the plane I wanted. We'll see if they answer.

Just call Delta's 800 number. They will help you get seat assignments. No charge, just probably a long wait time.

Can't you just call Alaska Air?
They got their Alaska Air seats, it's Delta that is the problem.

Suqque49--glad you got some of your seats, and hope you get the rest. I hate not being able to choose my own seats. Anyplace is fine with me for up to 2 hours, then....

I emailed Delta last night and got a reply today. Here is the email:

"Thank you for taking the time to share your future travel concerns with Delta Air Lines. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced on delta.com.

As per your request, we have assigned the seats requested by you. For any further assistance, we recommend you to contact Alaska Airlines at (800) 252-7522 for your seating as your flights are on Delta codeshare operated by Alaska Airlines

We appreciate the opportunity to review your concerns and hope your trip is pleasant in every respect".

Very nice, and very good customer service.

Archived