online checking question..teenager

doemichael

hello

My husband and I are sailing with 14 year old son. I have set up the onboard account as myself and husband with credit card and ticked sons for cash account.

Can the one booking be split like this ? We want to put cash on his card am I right in thinking once we get onboard we go to guest services and do this ?

Thanks

hello

My husband and I are sailing with 14 year old son. I have set up the onboard account as myself and husband with credit card and ticked sons for cash account.

Can the one booking be split like this ? We want to put cash on his card am I right in thinking once we get onboard we go to guest services and do this ?

Thanks

Not sure what you mean by "ticked sons for cash account"?

I think you are going to have to fill out a separate Set Sail Pass for your son. If you are not adding his on board expenses to your account, you will have to set up his own account, in this case using cash. You can put cash on his account at the Guest Relations desk.

I think you are going to have to fill out a separate Set Sail Pass for your son. If you are not adding his on board expenses to your account, you will have to set up his own account, in this case using cash. You can put cash on his account at the Guest Relations desk.

When you are filling out the SetSail pass, they will ask you who to include on your charge account. You just check off the people you want to have charging privileges.

I'm curious what the purpose of treating his separately is? Is it a fear of him losing it? Curious, we are sailing with our teen son for the first time and I hadn't considered putting him on cash, just setting rules for his spending.

People do this for different reasons. I trust my kids but it becomes really easy for them just to say 'sure I'll put this on the card' without realizing how much $ they've spent.(Heck, it's easy for me to overspend that way too ;) )

We've never put the kids on our CC's we usually get them a soda card & an arcade card & they're fine. Of course we mostly spend time together, they don't go off for hours on end.

Of course this is totally dependent on you, your kids, their ages for how you might want to work it.

You know your own child and what is best for your family. I was worried when we took our first cruise about the kids' overspending. What I found out is that there really isn't that much that they are interested in spending money on. We buy them a soda card. They prefer to spend time socializing so they really don't use the arcade. We have an agreement that, if they want ice cream, they can get the self serve on the pool deck or for dessert in the dining room. There really isn't anything of interest to them in the gift shops. They rarely, if ever, put anything on their seapass.

Now, once they turn 21, things to take a turn for the worse.

I'm not trying to discourage you from setting up the cash account. Just offering some words of reassurance!

Our situation is that our DS25 will be going with us on the 1st week of a B2B. We're paying for his flight, cruise and excursions, but not his on board "extras". So is this correct - I won't give him charging privileges on the SetSail pass and then he can put cash on his account at guest relations??? If so, that simplifies things for us. :) Don't think I'm a miser, I just think he can handle that part of his vacation...

Our situation is that our DS25 will be going with us on the 1st week of a B2B. We're paying for his flight, cruise and excursions, but not his on board "extras". So I will not give him charging privileges on the SetSail pass and then he can put cash on account at guest relations? That simplifies things for us. :) Don't think I'm a miser, I just think he can handle that part of his vacation...

I look forward to this day!!

I travel with my Grandkids all the time. I have always used cash accounts for them. No problem. It also prevents them from saying ok to friends using their card for arcade ect (because once lim it is reached they must come and see me).

The only problem I ran into was when one of them got sea sick for the first time (going to Hawaii water was rough, Radiance of Sea). She gave them her room key and they put the charge on her card ($200.00) It was over her limit but at time she still had $50.00 left on card. So the next day when she went to arcade to buy tickets for games she couldn't. We went and got it straighten out and transfered the medical to mine.

I'm curious what the purpose of treating his separately is? Is it a fear of him losing it? Curious, we are sailing with our teen son for the first time and I hadn't considered putting him on cash, just setting rules for his spending.

You will set rules for spending but will your son follow those rules? That's what has a lot of parents nervous about giving their kids charge privileges. We're fortunate. We have always put the kids on our charge account. We set daily spending rules for them. They have never gone over the limit. In fact, most of the time they are WAY under.

I have always had my son's account set up the same as mine, and used it as another teaching tool about keeping up with finances. He designates how much of his own money he has saved for the trip that he wants to put toward his account, and I transfer that from his bank account to mine.

Once onboard, he knows it is his responsibility to either pull it up on the tv or stop at guest services and check to see where he is $$-wise each day. If he goes over his amount at the end, I transfer the difference from his bank account to mine, but he has to pay 5% interest. So far, he has yet to go over! And I think real-world money education is always the best. :)

thanks for replies everyone.

Someone asked the reason for this. Anytime we go on holiday any children going ( we have 6 between us ) have a budget for their own spends and can basically buy anything they want with it .

We pay for soda card for him so really he should not have to spend that much on his account but as this is his own money he has saved, we have given him or his mum has given him ( he is my stepson ) anything he does not spend he brings home again with him. It also means we will not be telling him he cannot have things or checking what he has bought. This has always worked for us before .

We always pay our account off last night of cruise anyway but would hate to get the last statement of accoutn and see unexpected items on there lol

Our situation is that our DS25 will be going with us on the 1st week of a B2B. We're paying for his flight, cruise and excursions, but not his on board "extras". So is this correct - I won't give him charging privileges on the SetSail pass and then he can put cash on his account at guest relations??? If so, that simplifies things for us. :) Don't think I'm a miser, I just think he can handle that part of his vacation...

Definitely. I did the same thing when I took my (adult) son & his girlfriend with me. My account was linked to my credit card, and theirs were both cash.

I'm pretty sure we had separate SetSail passes, though. They went to Guest Relations and set their accounts up with cash.

I know when I cruise with Wrona, we definitely have separate SetSail passes, and we each link to our own credit cards.

You will set rules for spending but will your son follow those rules? That's what has a lot of parents nervous about giving their kids charge privileges. We're fortunate. We have always put the kids on our charge account. We set daily spending rules for them. They have never gone over the limit. In fact, most of the time they are WAY under.

I really never questioned him going over, he's allowed to use my cards or pay pal with permission and has never broken my trust. I was worried about him losing it, to be honest! He will have his own money saved for the cruise though and I will buy his drink card and am willing to pay for what ever food or smoothies aren't included and his souvenirs but he is on his own for the arcade. Did someone mention an arcade card? I figured giving a $25 a day allowance should take care of his incidentals. I think now I'll just put that upfront in cash. If he looses it, then it won't break the bank.

Definitely. I did the same thing when I took my (adult) son & his girlfriend with me. My account was linked to my credit card, and theirs were both cash.

I'm pretty sure we had separate SetSail passes, though. They went to Guest Relations and set their accounts up with cash.

I know when I cruise with Wrona, we definitely have separate SetSail passes, and we each link to our own credit cards.

Just what I wanted to hear....Thanks!

Archived