luggage and international air

ondeckatsea

What airline? Every airline has their own policy. On average most airlines allow one checked piece of luggage for no charge on transatlantic flights if you have a coach ticket, two pieces if business class/first class. However this is not universal and it depends on the airline. Also, on many international flights there are code shares and even though you may be booked through say Alitalia, the flight might be operated by Delta in which case you would be subject to Delta's rules. A lot of non-U.S. airlines also have stricter requirements on carry on luggage (i.e. some have weight limits on carry on items).

As mentioned above - check with your airline. We're flying on British Airways and we're not flying first class so we're limited to 1 checked piece of baggage free of charge, as well as 1 carry on (not including a pocketbook). I've been advised by my TA that they are very strict about size and weight requirements, (carry-ons have to be a certain size or smaller and you have to be able to put them in the overhead bin unassisted). I did note that you can "prepay" via their website for excess baggage as well as overweight baggage for a small savings vs. what you'll end up paying at the airport. Just something else you may want to check into. Happy travelling!

I agree that you should check with your airline as the can and do change their rules from time-to-time. Here is a link to a site that provides information about many airlines that should be relatively accurate (just keep in mind they might not update every day).

Most airlines allow one checked bag for free on flights to and from Europe. But be careful. I bought a bottle of olive oil and a bottle of grappa on our European cruise and when we arrived at the airport in Venice my bag was 1 and 1/2 pounds over and the charge was 150 euros. we could have gone back outside the secured area and shifted a few things to my wife's bag but it was a zoo that day with long lines. You can bet I am not gonna let that oil and grappa go to waste!!

In addition to the above, you need to check for carry on. For example, Continental allows a 40 lb carry on bag, whereas Virgin Atlantic only allows 13 lbs. So, if you get to the counter with an overweight carry on, you may have to check it and get charged another hefty fee.

In addition to the above, you need to check for carry on. For example, Continental allows a 40 lb carry on bag, whereas Virgin Atlantic only allows 13 lbs. So, if you get to the counter with an overweight carry on, you may have to check it and get charged another hefty fee.

Are you sure that's not 13 KG?

Are you sure that's not 13 KG?

Yup, I'm sure. Their website says: Weight : 13lb / 6kg

That's my problem. I'm flying Virgin Atlantic to London to catch Eclipse out of Southampton. I've got to figure out how to get the wife's kitchen sink to London.

We weigh our bags at home and make sure they are just a smidge under. Then we check in and pay for our bags online. It says some money and is easier at the airport. It's 150 euros for an overweight bag and only 50 euros for an extra suitcase. Better to plan on the extra suitcase. Not all airlines are the same but this has been our experience.

"In China they took my bag that was fine in size for going over but too large for the return trip.

Archived