ROLL CALL: LISBON - BARBADOS 21st OCTOBER 2011

philipb

I am worried that history will repeat itself. Susan Wood boarded the Whisper in New York last year as the new CD replacing a popular CD according to passengers staying on board. Later posts suggests she improved as time went on disagreeing with our assessment. Hope her transition to the Spirit goes better. After many cruises on many different lines, Fernando stands above the rest! Only time will tell.

I am worried that history will repeat itself. Susan Wood boarded the Whisper in New York last year as the new CD replacing a popular CD according to passengers staying on board. Later posts suggests she improved as time went on disagreeing with our assessment. Hope her transition to the Spirit goes better. After many cruises on many different lines, Fernando stands above the rest! Only time will tell.

Fernando is a tough act for anyone to follow. I cruised with Susan in May -- she is smart, efficient, charming, talented. She is not touchy feely -- but conducts herself professionally and graciously.

Give her a chance -- you may be surprised.

I've been traveling on ships for 50 years...had an anniversary this past July...starting as a spoiled teenager whose parents loved to travel. On our first voyages there was no such thing as a "cruise director". One of the dining room section captains hosted the early part of the evening's entertainment in the ship's ballroom where the entertainment was horse races to be followed by the ship's band playing for the balance of the evening. The "CD" was a later addition to the ship's crew. I have to say that in all the years and many subsequent trips I've never been on a voyage where any CD had any major impact on whether I enjoyed the holiday. Give me a quiet deck chair a good Martini before dinner and fine food and I'm as happy as I can be. Can't wait to be aboard Silver Spirit regardless of who the CD is!

Yes, I agree with Doug. PLEASE let's close the discussion on Cruise Directors! It's BORING! I also agree with the Count of Savoy that in years gone by (though my 35 years of cruising are no match for his 50!) Cruise Directors did not exist and we still had a great time! Nor were there 'Butlers' (we had plain old cabin stewards), evening canapes, luxurious toiletries (in the old days soap was supplied, but you brought your own shampoo!), cabin balconies (portholes for the lucky ones!), etc. We (the passengers) and the Officers and Crew usually provided much of the entertainment ourselves - and what fun we had. I could go on and on!!! What amazes me about the CC website is the degree of 'nit-picking' that some people seem to enjoy, even to taking on board their own tape measure to check on the size of the cabin, dissecting every morsel of food they eat, trying to invent tasks for their 'Butlers' and so on! Oh dear, what small lives they must lead. For me it's all about going on board, having good food and efficient friendly service, meeting nice people and relaxing. Good weather helps and I'm not too fussy about where the ship goes. In the case of missing a port - for whatever reason - it will not be me who tries to incite his fellow passengers to riot and string up the Captain!!! See you next week.

For me it's all about going on board, having good food and efficient friendly service, meeting nice people and relaxing. Good weather helps and I'm not too fussy about where the ship goes. In the case of missing a port - for whatever reason - it will not be me who tries to incite his fellow passengers to riot and string up the Captain!!! See you next week.

Phillip -- you're my kinda guy ! Have a great time!:D

Mary Ann, Philip; thanks for your sage/experienced based perspective.

David--as Doug said on the other board, look fwd to meeting you on board and at the very gracious Burns suite party during sail-away from Las Palmas on the 25th.

Upgraded? Not hardly! Believe me, it cost an extra bundle and my lovely bride is going to kill me when she finds out!

Doug, I had the feeling you wouldn't be able to resist moving to the Grand Suite. :D

Are you going to tell Lynn in advance or surprise her?

You are going to have a wonderful time--it sounds like you have such a great group and I wish we were sailing with you!

Only about a week to go...

-Lisa

I just saw Duct Tape's post about that.

I'm disappointed as I was hoping for him on the holiday cruise from FLL on 20 December.

I'm guessing that whoever joins your cruise is likely to still be onboard when we sail on the holiday cruise. I'm a bit sad that I'm still not going to meet the legend that is Fernando.

Sooooooooo well-said. "The legend that is Fernando!"

:D

I think we are aboard the week before you, and we have a great CC group--so I'm sure one of us will post some details before you board. And yes, I will leave you a bottle or two of champagne....

englishusa - I think you are 'new' to this thread? Please join us for our get-together on the morning of the 22nd (our first day at sea). See my earlier post for details. Also please let me know your name(s).

For me it's all about going on board, having good food and efficient friendly service, meeting nice people and relaxing. Good weather helps and I'm not too fussy about where the ship goes. In the case of missing a port - for whatever reason - it will not be me who tries to incite his fellow passengers to riot and string up the Captain!!! See you next week.

Phillip -- you're my kinda guy ! Have a great time!:D

can't wait to hear Philip do Karaoke in Stars night club, singing ABBA

believe our crossing is near full..SS site only shows Royal Suite and mid ship Veranda available for booking. Very popular consolidator cruise site does not even list our cruise for booking but does list the Cloud crossing three days later out of Lisbon (btw every suite category on the Cloud TA is available for booking except the Royal suite).

can't wait to hear Philip do Karaoke in Stars night club, singing ABBA

My Silver Spirit claim to fame: I was the first passenger to sing karaoke on the ship! It was Peggy Lee's "Fever." :D

Have a great trip, Wes, Ida and everyone else!

Craig, thanks very much for your crossing well wishes..only thing that would make this crossing more enjoyable would be if Wil and you were on board and in Stars (every night!) you preceded Philip's ABBA rendetion with Peggy Lee's Fever ")

Craig, thanks very much for your crossing well wishes..only thing that would make this crossing more enjoyable would be if Wil and you were on board and in Stars (every night!) you preceded Philip's ABBA rendetion with Peggy Lee's Fever ")

Hey...I am NOBODY'S opening act! :D

englishusa - I think you are 'new' to this thread? Please join us for our get-together on the morning of the 22nd (our first day at sea). See my earlier post for details. Also please let me know your name(s).

Yes, up til now I have been on LCT but I am being weaned off by "dougburns". Name is David. I am a Regent Titanium cruiser but Regent isn't interested in providing single supplements so I am now transferring my business to Silversea!Looking forward to meeting y'all.

Archived