All things EARTH...

The last one has my name written all over it. If they had it in a different color it could be a dress is use as a goal. I'm a bit too big in the middle, but I love the style!

Happy birthday to both of you!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Well I made it to the next phase of the process for the job closer to my home. Woohoo. A lovely birthday present that letter was. Now I test and do a panel interview on the 28th... and then we'll see what happens. Just had to share my news with my friends here. :)

Well I made it to the next phase of the process for the job closer to my home. Woohoo. A lovely birthday present that letter was. Now I test and do a panel interview on the 28th... and then we'll see what happens. Just had to share my news with my friends here. :)

Way to go. Keep pressing on, you'll get it. I was a paramedic & Boston PD thought I was a good fit for a pilot program. I was classified as an officer (full academy) but worked primarily on the ambulance (& emergency dispatch during two pregnancies - that was before 911 calls, I'm ancient 😉). When my DH was transferred to CA I sadly left. That pilot program lasted for 9 years, I was there 6. Loved that job. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Those dresses are both really pretty. I love the back on the green one. And the gold color is really beautiful. Neither are within my price point, but still gorgeous dresses.

They're not in my price point either, but it is fun to surf and look. :) That green one walks so pretty.

Congrats on your happy job news! Of the dresses you posted, for me I like the last one, but in general I think the black and white color block one is so cool. If you want to do some "if I won the lottery" dreaming, check out some of the dresses at Neiman Marcus. OMG.

I'm off to a crazy couple of days at work. So, happy birthday to all the birthday girls this week! Have your cake and eat it too!

Well, the Lands End tshirts came last night. I ordered coral, blue, and tomato. I think they are all FIRE:

Ttomato.jpg

Tblue.jpg

Tcoral.jpg

Even if the colors were good, I wouldn't be keeping them because they're so clingy. The description was "fitted" but these are really snug. For me it wouldn't work to order a size up because you can see they fit well in the shoulders, but the rest is just too tight for my taste. The fabric is nice, though.

I like the red s lot. I always like red a lot! The other two are likely fire, as you have indicated. If you are like me, you probably imagine these colors on others in the group. When i do that, I can see the subtle differences between us more clearly.

I have such a large chest that tops that are styled to be more fitted sometimes work for me. By the time I get them big enough for the chest area, they fit loosely elsewhere but still have a shape. For that reason, I may order the red and try it.

I received my Lord and Taylor order yesterday. There was a gold dress that turned out to be more of a cross between soft gold and champagne. I will post pictures but it got good reviews from the family.

The real dress like yours, Margaret is just beautiful. My husband really likes the dress because it gives me a shape and I agree. But he wasn't as keen on the color for me. I mentioned there is red. I'm debating because I have two long red dresses already. They don't look anything alike though. Is it the right red? Well it does not have a blue or purple undertone. That is how I rule out a red which I know isn't the way to do it. It's a weakness!

Laurie, I think the teal is so deep it borders on ICE, but it's warm enough for me, I think. Since it was 40% off plus another 20% I didn't hesitate, and at this point it's only the second full length dress I own (I don't count my wedding dress). In pictures I've seen of the red version of this dress, the color varies so much I think you'd have to see it IRL. If you liked the fit, I think you should try it!

I think the tshirt pix illustrate something I said in an earlier post about how FIRE colors just make me disappear. I don't have the coloring to stand up to them, and as much as I liked the red one, IRL it was just too much for me.

I've got our three cruise excursions booked, but I still haven't thought about clothes yet. I do know to take an extra sweater this time! I'm guessing my wardrobe will be a rehash of last year, for the most part, which is fine because I like all that stuff.

I'll be taking another quickie trip to Michigan. My lovely uncle passed away from cancer and my parents will need me there. So sad.

Margaret, I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle. That can be especially hard for you parents right now, as they have been going through a lot of changes.

My husband said to me a short time ago..."maybe that same dress, but go up a size?" Well, it wasn't loose, but it wasn't tight either. I also bought a size smaller than what I wear, so it was an option.

They don't have it in my size anymore, nor the purple one that was iffy.

I agree on the red, in that I'm finding it looking quite different on different websites. Right now, Dillard's has the short version of the bolero dress in what appears to me to be a light or medium teal. I'm concerned that it isn't dark enough.

My feeling is that I am cruising once a year, sometimes twice. I would like to rotate the dresses around. I don't want to spend a lot...I have two great dresses from Lightinthebox, that weren't expensive, but weren't cheap either. I also had to do quite a bit of altering on those. I figure that if I shop major clearance sales right now, then I won't feel guilty if make the purchase.

Dillards also has the same dress in a coral shade, (our twin dresses, lol) very similar to the LLBean shirt. I'm very drawn to it, but there are two things to think about. One, I'm looking at a picture so it may be earth, may be fire. Secondly, I'm better off in saturated colors, and I know that. Part of me says that the right dress in the right fit can make up sometimes for the lighter colors, which I think is the case with the other dress I ordered. I'll be able to judge better after I see a picture of myself in it.

You take fantastic pictures, Margaret, and are really able to show colors well.

The have the long bolero dress in a plus size. A 14W often is a good fit up above, but it will likely need a bunch of alterations for the rest of it so I'm going to bypass that. Unless I can get it for under $50.00. I can't even remember the price right now, lol.

http://www.dillards.com/product/Alex-Evenings-OfftheShoulder-Taffeta-Gown_301_-1_301_504990786?df=04332653_zi_summer_coral&categoryId=664399&scrollTop=2434

http://www.dillards.com/product/Alex-Evenings-Plus-Taffeta-Bolero-Gown_301_-1_301_504752696?df=04284284_zi_grape_jewel&categoryId=3099&scrollTop=4814

Margaret, I'm so sorry to hear about your uncle. That can be especially hard for you parents right now, as they have been going through a lot of changes.

You're right, it's hard for them but in a different way than you'd expect. They have a hard time with new information and can forget things, which can make them look insensitive, and then also their emotions aren't always appropriate to the occasion and that can be uncomfortable. Fortunately our extended family is very aware of what's going on and give them a lot of latitude.

My husband said to me a short time ago..."maybe that same dress, but go up a size?" Well, it wasn't loose, but it wasn't tight either. I also bought a size smaller than what I wear, so it was an option.

I was surprised that the fabric was a bit stretchy. I am used to taffetas that are more stiff and hold their shape, so it was a bit different for me. But I think that's why it will work even if I can manage to drop a couple pounds.

You take fantastic pictures, Margaret, and are really able to show colors well.

This made me laugh. I must have taken photos in five or six different locations in my apartment before I took these, looking for lighting that would be accurate for the colors. But thank you. :)

Up here in BC Vancouver area' it is like spring today.

Temps in the 50's and sunshine

So far no snow at all this year.

Our ski hills are suffering.

Bit soggy on the golf courses but lots of golfers are playing.

Hope all of you keep safe and warm if you are having snow warnings.

It is cold here and we had freezing rain last night. We might get some snow from this storm but we are not expected to get much as it is going to hug the coast a bit.

NYC is expecting two feet or more.

Up here in BC Vancouver area' it is like spring today.

Temps in the 50's and sunshine

My sister from Seattle sent me a pic today, she was out hiking in a light fleece and tshirt. I was jealous!

It is cold here and we had freezing rain last night. We might get some snow from this storm but we are not expected to get much as it is going to hug the coast a bit.

NYC is expecting two feet or more.

We had freezing rain yesterday, too, black ice and lots of fender benders. I am hoping they cancel school on Tuesday if we actually get the storm they're predicting. I have a wicked cold so I'd be happy to stay home.

Laurie, any more thoughts on the red and purple dresses? I had a deja vu moment went I bought the teal one, that last year when I went just before the cruise the prom and bridesmaid dresses were in stores, and I would have had a hard time finding something if I had waited. All those pastels! And strapless gowns, which I can't do.

Margaret, I think I'm going to pass on the red dress. Even though the style is completely different, I think something other than red is my best bet, simply because I have a short red dress that could be considered formal, then two long ones.

With the purple, I've been very undecided if it is a good color or not. Lord and Taylor no longer has my size, but if I get the 14W at Dillards, I could probably have it adjusted fairly easily. I usually get a 16 to accommodate the bustline, then take things in. Some of the more fitted dresses work but to be honest, if you see them from behind, they are rather baggy. A 14W fits big, bout you know...you can take things in way easier than let them out! Did you see the link for the dress? What were you thinking of the color?

I think I'm going to order the short teal dress because the price is so good. In some photos, it looks just a pinch lighter than the long one. in other pictures, it is much lighter. I do think it looks warm...

Dillards had a lot of gorgeous dresses. I'm just out of a 14, I really wish my chest was smaller. So many designers stop at 14! It's so funny, because if I go and buy pants, I buy a 12 and I'm almost ready for a 10. Go figure. If I can get something to fit on top, the bottom can always be adjusted.

I tried to take a picture of the new soft gold dress. The picture did not come out great. I will have my daughter take a photo while I'm wearing it in the kitchen, because the colors tend to look best in there. I will post the picture from my phone shortly of it hanging on the hanger. Honestly, I didn't really like it on the website, but it is great in person.

What did you think of the link to the peachy one? I could wear that in a shirt, but I don't know about a dress. It kind of looks muted sometimes, but I think it is the nature of the fabric. It probably is fire though.

I'm sorry you have a cold. I've been pretty lucky so far. Other than the long lasting ear infection in the fall, I've been good.

Cruzisme, you commented on another thread to me regarding my upcoming cruise. I would love to stay in Vancouver, but that flight at 11:30 was the result of American Airlines changing my flight. I had to cancel and re-book. At the time, the only real option for me was that flight, so I wouldn't end up on a red eye and have to lug my luggage all over. We talked about staying overnight, but went back and forth. We are pretty much set with the flight at this point. I think Vancouver would be stunning to see.

I probably shouldn't have left the red dress behind those...it makes the dress look like a rose color! The pleat in the front does not do what the one shouldered dresses did. It's near the top and forms a pleat that lays well, almost like a drape. I really look forward to posting a picture of it on!

This is what happens when I can't sleep on a night off work -read posts and dream about clothes. Lol. Working nights sucks. :)

We cruise about once every 3 to 5 years. This year it will be the first cruise in over 4 years. It's really the only time I get to dress up so I am already thinking of dinner clothes. One of my biggest issues is that I sit all the time do dresses have to look good sitting. So many dresses are really designed for standing and they simply don't look as good sitting down. It makes shopping for dresses complicated. Add in that I'm busty and short waisted and shopping is like an evil carnival ride that you can't get off. Lol.

One of my biggest issues is that I sit all the time do dresses have to look good sitting. So many dresses are really designed for standing and they simply don't look as good sitting down.

I saw an exhibit at the Costume Institute that was all about that. There was a big change in the 1960s. Before that a lot of design was for "ladies who lunch" and the clothes were designed to look good from the waist up, for sitting and eating. I think all the focus on the red carpet has a lot to do with why dresses are designed for standing and walking now.

and shopping is like an evil carnival ride that you can't get off. Lol.

I would say that about shopping for bathing suits. :)

Laurie, I don't know about the purple. I think that fabric is really hard to judge online. Also, my ability to judge EARTH purples that veer from what I think of as Natalie Portman purple is not so good without trying them on. Unless it's a really blue purple, which I can spot ok. I am very shy of purple because of what the wrong one can do with my hair.

I don't know what to say about the coral. I think it's pretty and a nice find, but I wouldn't choose it for myself, and probably for reasons that have nothing to do with anything anyone else would care about. Coral would definitely be a nice addition to your array of dresses, though. I'm very attracted to how comfortable that dress is.

My cold is a bit better today. They sent us all home early, and there's no school tomorrow. I came out of my interior classroom to see the snow blowing sideways. We are definitely in the throes of a blizzard!

We had some pretty messy weather on the way home tonight but nothing like you're getting. We just got 4 inches. My hill was blocked off while they tried to clear it so I got to sit on the carwash parking lot for a bit.

I do like the coral dress but I want a sale. And I'm not ordering the purple because after seeing it on different models on different lights, I think it is cool. In one photo I found, I thought it was more like Natalie Portman's dress but darker. Not any more.

I think I would try the teal one though. Do you think it might be more fire? Taffeta plays with my eyes a bit.

For whatever reason, I don't give much thought to what a dress looks like sitting down. Now that I think of it though, if it doesn't fit just right on top, it will drive me nuts.

Bathing suits are difficult. I really licked out last year. For me, finding earth colors is very important but they're the hardest to find in swimwear.