All things EARTH...

I am 72, modern, mobile, weigh 112lb, 29"waist - I really want to help. Just trying to say that it doesn't necessarily take major changes to fix a new small problem. A low fat/high veg regime helps me. 3 to 4oz protein per day. Occasionally I bloat (specially after curry) and take an acidophilus capsule (permanently in fridge) daily for a week or so, and return to normal. Same ingredient as yoghourt without the calories!

Apple cider vinegar with honey is also good (Old Vermont Recipe). It used to happen more during "the change"....Luckily I don't have a sweet tooth!

I always consult my fully qualified and licensed for 30 years naturopath and any little problem has been fixed. If not, I would see a doctor. He and I both believe in trying the simplest natural solution first. For instance, a period of stress, nerves and shakiness was completely fixed with Vit B12 mouth spray, plus Caruso's anti-anxiety tabs (lemon balm). Both these products are made in Australia, but surely your local qualified naturopath would have equivalents.

I want to get around to posting on the carry on thread about my upcoming 5 week odyssey from Aus, via Miami, T/A cruise to Lisbon, car tour Portugal week with son, week in London, week in Spain (mountain village near Granada) with Sis, then home. With all the flights, Qantas dominating, I am planning carry on only - limit 15lbs major piece plus tote.

I only were a watch when I travel . I love watches and have a collection of them that I rarely wear anymore . I also try to eat healthy . Small portions & lots of fresh veggies but last week I bought girl scout cookies . The chocolate with the peanut butter . I put them in the freezer . To me they are irresistible and I'll be glad when they are gone . We still haven't made travel plans . The trip to Ireland & Scotland got eliminated when the price got up to $8,000 before extras . I did find a nine day canadian cruise that really interested me but it's booked solid . So far we will probably go to New Orleans for five days unless something else interests us .

Anita , I really like the maxi skirts . I find maxi skirts or dresses are perfect for cruises .They can be both casual or you can dress them up .

I used to always wear a watch, it was one my husband got me. A beautiful silver and gold Citizens watch. When the watch stopped working, I found myself not wearing one. Since then, he has given to me a Liz Claiborne watch that I really love, but I just don't wear it every day. You know, I have a thing about jewelry and planning outfits and all...I tend not to put on a watch unless I feel like it "goes" with the outfit. Since I do carry the tote bag around on a cruise, I throw in the phone.

A tote bag probably gives you this image in your head, but I should explain. It is a very soft canvas bag from Freedom of the seas. It is shaped more like a cross body bag would be, in that it is rectangular and kind of narrow. It's not big at all. I throw in my camera, sea pass card, phone, sunglasses. The bag is very lightweight, and I have what I need. We take a ton of pictures, and since I have to wear my glasses all the time, the in and out stuff means that I'm switching to prescription sunglasses out on deck and back to the regulars indoors.

By the way, the doctor advised against the bifocal contacts. He said they would be hit or miss with the difference between my near and farsightedness. Also, He says that my allergies play more havoc with my eyes than I realize. I have lots of healed and newer scratches. He suggested a very basic form of eye drops that should keep them in better shape, since my eyes are quite dry too.

Now, Anita, you've touched on something that I feel strongly about, but didn't want to say last night because I really need a regular keyboard in front of me sometimes. Here goes...

I am always feeling so confused about foods. One day it's good for you, the next day it is bad. Grill your food, it's healthier than cooking it in fat. But don't grill it on this or that, if it chars you'll get cancer. I know, I'm being a bit sarcastic. My point is, that it is hard to know what to eat anymore. When you made that comment, I thought, that is exactly what I was going to type last night, by Nook keyboard is a pain, and so I type less, and sometimes the point gets lost.

My theory is to try and eat healthy and balanced. It's not perfect. But I'm trying. I don't really fry foods, and when I do, I give a lot of thought to it.

I'm not into taking supplements, as I try to see where to gain nutrients naturally. After all, I'm already eating...let's make it healthy. I also find that it's important to ut things in perspective. You live once. You want to be healthy, but you don't want to continually deprive yourself. So, it's Saturday, and that means a date lunch with the hubby. We are checking out an antique show, and lunch is sure to follow. A beer will be involved! And who knows what I will have to eat.

I used the word balance a lot. It goes hand in hand with my style statement of harmony, I think. Isn't it funny how we can see the whole SS come into play in so many areas of our lives?

Anita, I admit to not having drank really dark beers, but I do like wheat based beers. I'm a Blue Moon fan. Sometimes, I get a Sam Adams Cherry Wheat. A local brewery makes an apricot wheat beer I like. I think I know what I'm going to have with my lunch, lol.

I guess it's all about doing what we can, and trying to be informed, without jumping on every bandwagon that drives by. Do you agree? I also think different things work for different people.

My husband and I are looking into a local fitness center. I very much need to buddy system, and so does he. This is a great place for us to go together, and we even make it a bit more fun as they have classes, a basketball court, handball, an indoor track. It is a bit more expensive, but I think I've come to realize that it will be money spent on health, fitness, energy, and even time together. That is priceless, right?

My mind is all over the place this morning, so I'm jumping from topic to topic. I agree that there is so much processing involved in things. Sometimes, when someone says they only eat organic food, I find myself asking things such as what is in the rainwater? Soil? Seeds? It sure is hard. I do buy organic things, and we are going to try and get to some local places in the area as the weather warms up and we have local produce available. I buy things that aren't organic too.

I have a sister in law that does acupuncture and the like. I've never tried it so I don't know if it works, but I do like the idea of curing something naturally when you can, or alleviating pain without medicine.

I have a feeling surgery my be in my future. Not my near future, but down the road, for my hips. Unfortunately there seems to be a pattern in my family with degenerating hips, where the only real option is replacement. My brother had his replaced at age 50, and I have a sister who is turning 56 that needs one replaced. My hips have bothered me off and on for years, but not to the point where I have to take something or go to a doctor. I probably should be proactive and see what kinds of things I can do, in addition to being more fit, that may help ward this off, if possible.

I'm from a family of 6, and the patterns are huge. All my sisters have a hearing loss like me, for example. All but two of us had to have an appendectomy. All my sisters (not me) needed a hysterectomy. Three siblings are diabetic. Right now, I'm moving against the tide and I hope to stay that way!

A little off topic here but, I wanted to ask if any of you have sailed on Royal Caribbean's Serenade of the Seas ship?

We're thinking of a cruise next winter and got a good price on this ship and like the itinerary a lot.

I've been on Celebrity 6 times, 1 HAL and 1 Carnival.

I loved the food on all of the Celebrity cruises, thought HAL was very good and Carnival was good but, not to the level of the other 2 lines. The Celebrity cruises just priced out too much for us this time, even in an inside cabin :( My DH has only been on 1 cruise and it was our last one on HAL.

Any thoughts?

I've only sailed RCI, but never on Serenade. I happen to like the line a lot, but since I haven't been on other lines, it wouldn't be fair for me to try and compare. Maybe Anita's mom, Pam?

I would like to try Celebrity at some point. I'm just not sure when, since I do find RCI so enjoyable. What is the itinerary?

I'll be on Jewel in May, and this is the same class. I know there will be no royal promenade. I am pretty sure they have a retractable roof on the solarium pool as well.

Edited by laurspag

It's interesting that we're talking about food. I just watched Brain Change on PBS. Given my parents' situation, I've been very focused on brain health lately. Given my family history and my desire for a healthy old age, I feel like I need to be vigilant or I won't be well in the future. I most certainly don't want to lose my mind. I've been sort of following the Superfoods Diet since I got the book last year, but I definitely fall off the wagon sometimes.

I think what Laurie said about different things working for different people is very true. I know that I have metabolic peculiarities that I've learned to manage pretty well with diet and supplements. Some people can be healthy for a long, long time in spite of eating crap or smoking or drinking. I am not one of those people. Some people can be healthy by exercising and watching what they eat. I am not one of those people, either.

Anita, my hairdresser friend did exactly what you did. She followed her gluten free diet very carefully for a long time, felt very healthy, then started having coffee and a donut for breakfast again. Within a couple weeks she was just miserable. Back on the diet, doing ok. She has an indulgence once in a while, but she knows she has to be very careful about not making it a habit.

We eat out or order in several times per week, so I'm not a slave to organic foods. But, for things we use at home practically every day like eggs, salad, and chicken I shop organic and hormone free. Anything I can do to lower my exposure to chemicals helps me with my endocrine troubles and has an anti-cancer benefit too. As Laurie mentioned, for me it is about finding a balance. What do I need to do for my health, and what I can I do for convenience given the time constraints of my schedule.

I had acupuncture when I sprained my back dancing years ago, and I LOVED it. If I could do it every week I would, but it's expensive and my insurance doesn't cover it. I also love a really good sports massage -- I find that it really teaches me a lot about how my body is doing, where the tension is, and what asymmetries I've developed.

One of the results of counting calories for me is that I eat fewer carbs, especially wheat-related. They're just too caloric to allow me to meet my calorie count for the day, and if I restrict other things to eat them, I just don't feel full. I find I eat more fruit than I used to, and I really focus on having a healthy protein at every meal. I also no longer use skim milk or lowfat cheese. Once the fat is removed, you're just getting sugar (lactose). So, if I want a snack to hold me until dinner, I'll have a bit of regular cheese or yogurt and a few nuts. What I really want at that time of day is cookies! But I try to not have them in the house anymore, then they're not a temptation.

I am a watch person. I have one I wear to work every day. We don't have clocks in our classrooms, and I can't run around with a phone in my hand all the time (I leave my purse locked in my office). I actually have four watches: the leather one I wear to work, a gold-tone one for evenings out (from DH on our fifth anniversary), a $5 sport watch for certain vacation destinations, and a beautiful evening watch that was a combination abject apology/late wedding gift from my father-in-law. That one is my favorite because it's so pretty, but I don't get to wear it often.

Tomorrow is packing day!!! :D

I just realized I haven't posted any fashion photos in a long time. It's because I haven't seen anything EARTH things in a while. This spring it seems is all about black and white, or navy and white, and AIRy prints.

Bon Voyage Margaret!!!

Take lots of pictures!! I'm especially interested in seeing your Houston photos! And in hearing about what you do and how it is. Funny how many years I lived there but never did so many things IN Houston.

I'm finding a TON of coral in the stores...TONS! There's orange too but I swear that much of it is some weird sherbet color...I don't think some of it is either Earth or Fire.

Another skirt smiled at me! ;) I was in Target...

http://www.target.com/p/printed-knit-maxi-skirt-mossimo-supply-co/-/A-16717586#prodSlot=large_1_9

The "coral" color is a print on a dark background (could be a form of black) with shades of coral and teal in it. It's so fabulous! I love this particular skirt. It's a slight A-line so not too full, adding too much fabric and the look of more pounds. I have it already in a not-quite-Earth but goes well with some Earth fabric...(I think it's a combo of Air/Earth colors). There's a bit of orange in the new skirt too...it's interesting to me that they paired it with yellow for the online pic...Hmmmm.

I also ordered up another round of FABULOUS compression sleeves for my calves. The socks have been a major blessing, but they are a wool blend and this is not compatible with warm weather nor sandals...no Earth colors available...but I don't care, I'm lovin' these compression sleeves:

http://crazycompression.com/Crazy-Compression-Socks-Sleeves.aspx

They are on order. They ship from NC, I think...so I should get them quickly. So I haven't tried them yet to give a full endorsement...but I have high hopes.

I'm not sure about the following navy tank that I also picked up:

http://www.target.com/p/women-s-favorite-tank/-/A-15630335#prodSlot=_1_3

IRL, it reminds me of my beloved "Incognitio in Sausalito" by OPI nail polish...which looks fab on me...that's that super dark blue nail polish that I wore on our September cruise. I'll have to test out this blue and see, but I snagged it when it was on sale for $7.

I see online that the "old colors" are on clearance for $7:

http://www.target.com/p/women-s-favorite-tank-merona/-/A-16224195#prodSlot=_1_1

I own Laguna Teal, New Orleans Red (very burgundy), and Stuffed Olive (that's the shirt I wore in my most recent black pants party outfit to go to the 50th bday party). I'm eyeing that funky Brown color... I love these tanks because they are long. The Merona brand tanks are made for women with womanly curves...I find the Mossimo tanks to NOT work as well for me personally...the fabric they use seems to lose it's true color when stretched over the girls...not a good look.

Margaret, I was just thinking about how I missed your pictures. I agree with you, there hasn't been much earthy looking at all. I think on the last In Style cover, Kerry Washington was wearing a great rust colored dress.

I just want to say something. I found a picture from 2009 when I went to Niagara Falls. I showed it to my husband, and he said, "wow, you really are smaller now!" That was the best feeling. I have a ways to go, and it may be taking time, but to have it noticed feels so good. A few people said something to me about it as well.

Too bad I don't just lose the rest of the extra and get over it, lol. Not this week, anyway. I just gone done with a corned beef dinner!

Anita, I am going to check out those shirts at Target. I know I was in not too long ago and didn't have much time to look. A short sleeved V-neck caught my eye because it was this muted earthy orange, a heathered color. I stopped in my tracks because it was one of those "no doubt about it" colors.

I am thinking more an more about colors when I look at them. I am beginning to see warmer blues. I don't think they are necessarily new; I think I have just started to learn to see that blue can be warm. I never really think about blue in the way that I do something like rust or brown or gold or olive. I really have to look for warm in blue and purple. There is always some degree of coolness, in a way. I think I've overused this idea a bit, but think of a knob on your stereo that goes from low to high...

Anyway, I often find that if I'm looking at red, if it isn't orangey, then I sometimes mistaken some air reds for earth reds. I realize it when I get home and see the color in a different light. I have some colors right now that are a burgundy or cranberry type color. I think they look different in different lights, but I just put them on and go into different rooms that have mirrors and ask myself if it looks warm. I guess we can only do our best, right?

I have to check out those maxi skirts. The one you posted is really pretty! You've got me thinking about the two I have that I have yet to wear in nicer weather. I wore one of them in the fall with boots and a crossover sweater. I really want to feel like it's okay for me to wear a tank top, that I will look okay?

Are the tanks by Merona a bit thicker? I find a lot of the knit tops lately to be kind of thin, and I get these little holes in them after wearing them just a few times. I will post a picture shortly because I happen to be wearing one like that. It is also one of those shirts where the color is a burgundy type color that looks cool sometimes, and warm sometimes...

One of my daughters is a fire, and there is a color referred to as clear bright navy. It's really hard to find. It is lighter than what we think of navy as, but it is darker than a royal blue...it's hard to describe. When my daughter wears it, she looks really nice. She has a cute raincoat that has a peplum styling to it.

Anita, I never knew that compression socks could come in all those colors and patterns until you started to post them. Wow! And if they help you, that is the most important thing. How is your knee feeling right now?

Margaret, I am so excited for you. After the winter we've had, you are probably more than ready for a vacation. I leave in just two months. I know it will go really fast, especially now that we've gotten pretty busy at home. We spent the day going through a downstairs closet that was converted to a built in bookcase. We have all sorts of things in there, and it has become messy. So, we cleaned through it, and then just kept going and going...

Laundry is all done (I think I hear you laughing at me, Anita) and I managed to only do it once this week!

My husband and I sat down and talked about a local gym we want to join, and we are going on a tour of it either tomorrow or Tuesday. I just realized that my health insurance will cover part of the cost, too! Anita, do men take zumba classes? I told my husband we should take one together. He said he'd do it, but I'm not so sure, lol. I don't know if I will be able to do it because of my hearing, but I would try. Can't hurt to try once, right?

Anita, I have almost the exact same olive tank but I got mine in Dressbarn. (buy 1, get 50% off the second, plus my daughter's discount) I also picked up a light beige tone as well.

I really want that brown one, it's a fantastic color. A few of them are.

I'm on my bike right now moving my knee...not cardio oriented, more therapy for knee movement. Knee feels great. I'm feeling stronger and more stable every day.

That navy color is Air. :( Now I will for sure get that Brown one and return the blue. I've had Target tanks for a long time...worn often and they hold up. The only complaint on one or two is that the stitching has come lose on the hem but this could be from stress from an increasing abdomen. Sigh.

Men take Zumba. They are welcome especially in gym classes. The most important thing is that they just have fun like everyone else. They might be challenged by some hip action but if they at least try most women enjoy that in the class. And men that play golf or tennis generally get a huge benefit in their range of motion in the twisting moves after doing Zumba! Does your husband play?

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

The only thing to get used to with tank tops...very flattering but the girls become more prominent with the fitted shirt. My DH doesn't view that as a problem generally. It's slimming overall to have the fitted shirt with the slender maxi.

If you want to alleviate attention to the girls, wear a scarf...that's what works for me. :)

For me, it's often about the surprise. If I take a picture first, then I will take the time to acquaint myself with how o look realistically and put it in perspective.

I have found from trying on my maxi skirts that I need a fitted top and the correct length to it. Everything else makes me look really dumpy like.

I have debated about showing this, for fear that I am not doing as good as I think, and also embarrassment. I will be posting some pics shortly.

I think I've seen it in the store...similar IRL to the teal but obviously not Earth by comparison. Not sure what but the teal was so good and that one was off.

That fern color that is...I didn't grab your post to quote.

Edited by Anita Latte

It's funny because that orange like color I saw in the store I don't see online. I was going to post it but couldn't find it. I think the prices are good enough that o can try a few to see how they work for me.

I had this long response typed out, and my internet connection was lost for a split second so I lost the whole post. I hate it when that happens. :-)

I should explain that the weird looking picture of me is when we were in Niagara Falls at the wax museum. The girls just had to get a picture of me and Martha Stewart, lol. Although it isn't a good picture of me, it does show you what I was looking like. I have so far to go.

in that respect, we decided to visit a few fitness centers today. The first was Aspen Athletic. It's inexpensive, has classes included, decent looking equipment. It is very well attended. On the downside, there is linoleum floors, so I found it incredibly loud. Everything is very close together as well, since the place isn't huge. There are 4 of these locally, but I don't know if they are a national chain.

Then we went to an independent place that is also a golf course. Both places are close by, but this one is exceptionally close. The good points were the carpeting. It was so much quieter there. The equipment was spread out more, and there seems to be a lot of things to choose from. On the downside, you need the more expensive membership to get the classes, which are mostly very intimidating. (Warrior fitness, TRX, Iron Fist) My sister is a fitness instructor and worked there once. She did not recommend it. She described the owner as just looking to make a buck, not caring about his members and that it was clique like. Another friend of mine that used to go there also used the work clique, which I thought was interesting.

I pressed my sister for more info, but she kind of backed off. It could be that her current work did not like her discussing another place publicly on Facebook, and I get that. I will ask my friend for more info.

Hey Barbara! What do you think of this gown?:

http://www.zappos.com/alejandra-sky-marcie-pearl-neckline-gown-navy

It reminds me of some of the others that you posted and seems more affordable? I think it would be very comfortable and flattering, even in a sitting position...the tightest part right under the bust and the nice skirt...

Oooh Anita that is really pretty. I've never shopped on Zappos before, I will have to look at their return policy. I like the navy and the plum. Not sure which I like better. I don't think either color is especially earthy but it's a good price for a dress. I was looking at some dresses on Nordstrom Rack's online site and found a couple that I wish I could try on in a store. It's scary to me to buy a dress without trying it on because I'm... well... oddly shaped. But that dress would be great for a wedding and the cruise. Now to just suck it up and buy one.