All things EARTH...

GrannyFlamingo...I'll be lurking over there hoping that other AIRs come out of the wood work so to speak and join you in your quest! I hope that you find some other AIRs because that can be so much fun to be sharing finds, etc., but be sure that we won't leave you all alone...we are here to keep you company as you seek to fill out your cruise wardrobe with your awesome and flattering for you AIR colors. :)

Fabulous! What year?

Mom is likely a good resource for you because she had done the TA thing so many times and has done ports, etc., that you may be visiting. If you want to go more in depth on those topics, I suggest you start a thread over here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=885

And let us know here that you started that thread!

Hi , I started a thread called Transatlantic questions . I need to enlist you & your Mom's help and anybody else who has done a transatlantic .

Thanks

Maureen

Good luck. Melody! I wish you a speedy recovery.

I'm so intrigued by the Panama Canal cruise. For those of you who have been there before, tell me about it. I am thinking a lot about places I have never been to. I am thinking about Alaska again, maybe 2017? You may recall I was thinking about a cruise to Alaska and just couldn't wrap my head around going somewhere cold. I think it is a good option, especially if we plan something warm the same year!!

I am glad you are enjoying my cruise report. I will be able to post more tomorrow. I had a great time at the baseball game yesterday. But I'm sure tired today from it! I had to get up at 4:30 a day then we got home equity at midnight and I had to get up at 6 this morning.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Alaska is stunningly beautiful. It was our first cruise, and it obviously left a very good impression because we kept cruising. IMO it is not a wander-around-port cruise, but more excursion heavy so you can get into the beauty of the wilderness. Friends advised us to budget extra for excursions, some of which are a bit pricey. The highlight for us was taking a helicopter up close over a glacier and landing on the morain. We hope that when our nephew in Seattle is a little older, we'll be able to go with my sister's family on another Alaska cruise. I would definitely do it again.

There was one day when we were in full parka mode to watch the glacial calving, and later in the day I was on my balcony in shorts and a t-shirt. So, it's not all cold.

Edited by MJC

Melody...thinking of you today and hoping all goes well with your foot surgery.

Margaret...I had a minute to check out your Panama Canal cruise...OMG...I can't wait to hear all about that one! That ship looks gorgeous. What a different experience that will be! SO excited for you.

The whole KonMari thing...I think that her method is very adaptable. I did put all my clothes on the floor...but I admit that I vacuumed and cleaned everything up fairly well and convinced myself that it wasn't that different than putting things on the bed. It helps that there was so much reno done in our rental and that we are the first people to live on this carpet and that it was only 6 month old carpet...

I've been hitting the kitchen. I'm adapting the general concept to what works for me there. I am using the process as a good excuse to do things that need doing...that is, replacing worn kitchen tools...donating things that I don't use (or like)...and trying to look at the concept of kitchen storage with fresh eyes in the hopes that the kitchen will become as easy to maintain as the bedroom has been.

I'm about half-way done with the kitchen.

All I can say is that it makes me so happy to see the kitchen right now...I'm excited to finish this job. Very excited. No dread at all.

I love orange. I know that chocolate brown is supposed to be a great neutral, but for me, I find that I can pair orange with just about anything...I just decide it works. I treat it like a neutral and it works like a neutral. A better khaki in a way because so many khakis have that gray cast to them. Just so...orange has a variety of shades and the ones that are more faded and tending toward the rust side of orange are really handy items.

We always carry water.

We had a bit of a rest in some shade. Some water. And we continued on our way...which suddenly opened up into another plaza area...

Mom was making pleased with herself noises...

DSC02322_zpsjbtp35jr.jpg

There is a sign describing in detail this Point of Historical Interest: The Roman Barcelona. I photographed the sign for readability...Here is the top, clearly identifying the marker (I think there are many throughout the city):

DSC02319_zpsgbzpyaih.jpg

What is being identified:

DSC02318_zpsa4dbj9lt.jpg

The details:

DSC02317_zps5kbbfuzl.jpg

Very exciting to have stumbled upon these Roman ruins:

DSC02320_zpsz8awkquy.jpg

If you look again at the first photo in this post, you can see the tallest spire of the Barcelona Cathedral.

If we had continued walking to the left of that photo, we would have been at the main entrance to the Cathedral. At this time, I didn't realize that we were headed into the Cathedral...we took off down this side street:

DSC02323_zpsmsnjmkoo.jpg

Which is walking to the right of the tower of the Roman ruins.

Continuing up this side street, we are heading toward the Cloister entrance...which is in effect a side entrance into the Cathedral and all that is considered to be part of it.

Note...the line at the side entrance is virtually non-existent compared to the line at the main entrance.

Thanks all for the kind wishes. I got up real early (even for me) & did a last paddleboard on the lake for awhile (sigh). Off to the surgery center, I promise, no pictures [emoji6]. Melody

Laurie , Like you I kept on postponing Alaska because after a New Jersey winter I needed sun & beaches . Finally after moving to Florida we did Alaska . It is one of my favorite cruises . The scenery is awesome . We went in May & the weather was perfect . There was still snow on the mountains but it was not cold . We wore light jackets & jeans most of the trip .

I have also done the Panama Canal . It is sooo hot & humid but lots to see . It was a good trip and I am glad I did it but I would pick Alaska before Panama . Another one of my favorites is a New England cruise but I love New England and will gladly go there anytime . Both my children went to school in Boston so I have spent a lot of time there and I love it . Next to San Francisco Boston is my favorite city .

Catedral de Barcelona

Walking along this side street...our first glimpse of all that is a part of the Barcelona Cathedral is the Side-chapel of St. Lucia:

DSC02324_zpsr10rwrhv.jpg

From the Cathedral de Barcelona website:

"The chapel of Saint Lucia is in the late Romanesque style. It was constructed between 1257 and 1268 as a chapel for the Episcopal palace (annexed building).

The floor plan of the chapel is rectangular with a single nave formed by a pointed barrel vault. The chapel has two doors: one at the back accessing the Cloister and the other to the exterior. The façade of the chapel is characterized by a door with a semicircular arch and archivolts and two columns at each side with carved capitals bearing geometric and animal figures.

In the interior of the chapel of Saint Lucia there are two sepulchers with the remains of bishop Arnau of Gurb (13th century) and canon Francesc of Santa Coloma (14th century).

The chapel was originally dedicated to the Virgin Saints, but since 1296 has been dedicated only to Saint Lucia, protector of sight."

This Chapel sits on the far corner of all that is considered to be part of the Barcelona Cathedral. Looking down the way...past the Chapel...you can see to the Main Entrance of the Barcelona Cathedral...there is a glimpse of people waiting in the line:

DSC02325_zpstfj3zljl.jpg

The gathering of people formed here were an audience to the street performers...you can see the keyboardist and guitarist with their microphones.

Continuing to walk along our side street...we approached the Door of St. Eulalia. St. Eulalia is co-patron Saint of Barcelona.

For a 7 Euro donation, you have access to all of the Cathedral.

Dress appropriately:

DSC02327_zpsxtycnjl1.jpg

At the entrance, you also have the option to purchase candles in a variety of sizes. There are more than 140 advocations for Saints and the Virgin Mary. A map for the main ones is provided when you enter.

Standing in line...here at the door...you catch a glimpse of the outdoor courtyard that is the center of the Cloister:

DSC02328_zpsvq5kqnr0.jpg

It is very tempting to try to tour you around the Cathedral...but I know from experience, that unless you have been there yourself...such pictures can be very difficult to view...

The Cloister is very peaceful.

There is a hush here. It is a sharp contrast to the din of the city street and the mass of people.

Here. The people have been reduced to small groups. And their voices are lowered in respect.

And awe.

Because the surroundings are breathtaking.

The center courtyard is open to the sky with trees as tall as the surrounding building. There is the sound of water from decorative fountains...the ceilings of the walkways around the center courtyard are ornate and extremely tall. There is bouncing light on them...reflected off the water features in the courtyard.

There are geese.

Big, beautiful, fat white geese. Always there are 13 geese...the Cathedral literature says this is in remembrance of the 13 years St. Eulalia lived before being martyred in the first century B.C. Some say it is for the 13 tortures that she was supposed to have suffered... It is tradition. Always 13 white geese.

There is a fountain topped with the image of St. George slaying the dragon. Unlike a typical tiered garden fountain, this fountains' water movement is through drinking spouts. The water is potable. There is nothing at the Cathedral that explains this fountain...research at home tells the story of how St. George slayed a dragon. At the end of the story, a spring comes forth whose water cures all disease.

The halls of the courtyard are lined with the altars to Saints of the Catholic Church. They are rich looking with gold and jewels and amazing art...both painted art and sculpture art. The altars are closed off by extremely tall wrought iron gates. Before the gates are candle stands.

This area I am describing is the Cloister. It was built between the 14th and 15th centuries.

This place is lovely. I hope these photos make more sense now...

DSC02336_zpsuejmhaam.jpg

DSC02333_zpsveyktsdg.jpg

DSC02342_zpswwllj6xg.jpg

DSC02340_zpsm5euis8s.jpg

DSC02338_zps6yeinkmx.jpg

DSC02344_zps9joaavog.jpg

Wow, it is so beautiful there! It seems like outside, it is somewhat crowded and noisy, but then you have those other pictures, and it seems so peaceful. I would love to go there sometime. We love historical places, so I think that would be great to see.

There is so much to see and do!

I'm going to digress a little here. I wanted to post a few more pictures of the ship.

Did I mention that Jewel has self leveling pool tables? Well, they do, and they really do work amazingly well. These are located at the Safari Club. When you first enter, there is a room with two pool tables on one side, and then a seating area with tvs on the other. It’s not pub like or anything like that, it is very nice. You then can move forward through the doorway to the rest of the club. I loved all the woodwork that was there.

529_zpsgkr0eucp.jpg

533_zpskg9y7aqe.jpg

Another thing I loved were the stained glass murals. Have I posted any pictures of these yet?

610_zps1pqi5xqg.jpg

609_zpsnaklgumb.jpg

608_zpscjjgjvfs.jpg

I always take my glasses off for the formal pictures. I forgot to on this one, but it is such a fun picture. I don’t really like my new glasses that much, but that’s okay.

Scan0007_zpsf927jcqi.jpg

Scan0010_zps6oapykwn.jpg

15_zpsoctlddf5.jpg

I think it was a tough decision for me to go with a shorter dress. That is just me personally, but based on what I was seeing, I thought there would be very few women in long gowns, so I went with the shorter cocktail dress. I do love the choice I made, but I will also say that there were a number of longer gowns too.

Don't you think the color of the dress is hard to figure out? I knew it said earth to me, but sometimes it looks brown and sometimes it looks purple. And the name of the color is rioja (or something like that) red.

I often like the white background as it's simple and less distracting. with the shorter dress though, it did nothing for the color of my legs, you know? I don't mind that my legs are very light, but the white next to them doesn't do much for me.

They had the 70's party and it was a whole bunch of fun, like usual.

More pictures to come!

Laurie , I was just thinking before you posted these pictures . That your glasses are perfect for you . The Jewel really looks like the Brilliance . Your dress is a great color & you look great in it . We are our worst critics because I never noticed the color of your legs . Your formal pictures always look so great . Maybe we will do one on our TA .

Melody,

Hope all went well today! I wish you a speedy and complete recovery.

Our Alaska cruise was one of our favorites and yes...it definitely is all about the excursions.

Still loving the pics and reports!

We talked about the pool tables on the Jewel but you hadn't posted pics yet! What a great room! I, too, love the wood work in there. Funny thing though...I think it does look like an English Pub...which is completely different than bars in the US.

At least that's what my British ladies tell me. The pub is like the social center in the villages. A lot of work gets done there.

Have you seen The Holiday? OMG...I love that movie. There are scenes in the Pub in that movie. Lots of wood work. I would love to hang out in a pub.

That brown is hard to define. It isn't really brown, is it? I think I would call that color Port. IDK why, but it seems appropriate to me. Port represents that indefinable kind of purple brown color in my mind.

Definitely Earth, so no matter on what color it really is.

I second the thought of not even looking at your legs...well...maybe I did because Mom and I have been laughing a bit at Debbie's post about white legs...and Mom was saying to check out her own legs in some of our pictures...which are very white. But I'm checking them out in a proud to be white kind of way...LOL.

I also like your glasses. I think they remind me of my own! LOL!

The inside of the Barcelona Cathedral has that magnified hush. It is very quiet...but there is a murmur in the room from the hushed voices that are magnified because it has really wonderful acoustics with so many hard surfaces.

The majority if light within the Cathedral is artificial light. There are stained glass windows...but they are way up in the stratosphere...it's very difficult to actually appreciate the stained glass scenes because you have to crane your neck to see up to them. When you stare up there...you can see the clearer, whiter light of daylight shining onto some ceiling spaces.

There are HUGE...huge in diameter light fixtures that look original but must have been retrofitted for electricity. These are casting a yellowish light all throughout.

The room is a large rectangle.

Around the center of the room, there is a sort of room within a room. The "wall" of the choir room is actually formed by the very tall backs of wooden chairs that are side by side by side and decorated.

The choir effectively separates the room.

All around the perimeter of the room are the same gated altars. The literature calls all these gated alcoves "Side-Chapels."

Again...I hope that helps these photos make more sense:

P5020367_zpsqgpozqas.jpg

P5020364_zpsravy4lqm.jpg

P5020360_zpsqmu0pcpq.jpg

DSC02358_zpsnsx4dw4p.jpg

P5020366_zpsqifde0fs.jpg

Here you can see the pipe organ...and also a big line of people to the right of the pipe organ.

The people in line are waiting because that is where you access the roof of the Cathedral, which apparently has a fabulous view.

P5020351_zps4ubmqehm.jpg

We did not wait in line, we did not access the roof.

There are times of day where admission is free into the Cathedral...and then you pay an additional 3 Euros to see the roof...and an additional 3 Euros to see the Choir.

There is a series of rooms called the Museum-Chapter House, which you can enter once with your paid donation. No photography is allowed. Partly because of that, I can't remember the specifics of what is in the room. It's worth a walk through though...I have impressions from that room still.

There is no public restroom facilities in the Cathedral.

At least...not that we could discover. And we tried.

It was time to leave...

Hi all, home recuperating. Somehow I'd managed to break an artificial joint in my foot then developed a bone spur & pinched a nerve. My doc called it the trifecta. Don't know yet how long I'll be laid up. However, one of my white legs is now a betadine orange (not a good look)

Thanks for all the kind thoughts & words

A bit of a chat about walking around Barcelona...

I post because I would be curious...and generally, I follow the rule that if I write for myself (or pick Zumba songs for myself, and choreo for myself)...then generally, those people that are around me have an interest as well...

In that spirit...

Because we are American...we headed into the nearest fast food looking like place that we could find in order to use the necessary. This happened to be a restaurant named Pans:

http://www.pansandcompany.com/en/

The graphic nature of the signage and the window displays...and a quick peek let us know that this was an order at a counter and find your own seat to eat kind of place.

Perfect.

We headed up stairs and up some more stairs (never been in a 3 story fast food joint before) to find the necessary.

And we walked right in as some other ladies were leaving.

Regrouping with Dad, we learned that he wasn't as fortunate as we were. We didn't realize that you had to PAY to get the door to open. There was so much coming and going for the ladies...shut doors were never an issue. Traffic for the men is much fewer and far between...

There you have it. Note to self...be sure to have change just in case...but the men are more likely to need it than the women...

I'll also mention the smoking...

OMG.

There are smokers EVERYWHERE. And because there are people everywhere...there is no thought at all to them standing aside or perhaps being more aware of what or WHO they are exhaling at. It was not uncommon to get a huge blast of cigarette smoke while walking the street.

This was NOT GOOD for Mom.

The one saving grace is that there is no smoking indoors in Barcelona.

Dad, Mom and I were on high alert to be aware of any smoker in our vicinity...and our strategy was to duck into whatever the nearest store was to avoid.

It worked fairly well. The second day of walking around was an improvement over the first in terms of Mom being able to not get blasted with smoke.

As I had said before...the Kiko Milano store was on our to do list. We did find it...it was PACKED. There were so many people in that store. If we didn't know what it was...we probably wouldn't have gone inside. It didn't look fun in there.

However, we knew Kiko and we knew what we were about and we headed straight to the nail polish display. Both of the colors that I purchased in Malaga were NOT in Barcelona. Just another reminder...when you see something you like...get it...there is no guarantee that you will find it again.

I don't know if the crowded nature of the Barcelona store was due to the difference between Malaga and Barcelona or the difference between shopping midweek v. Saturday.

Also on our to do list were fun shoes. We went into the one Desigual store that we had seen the previous day that stocked mostly handbags, shoes, and accessories. We made a mess in the little shoe section which was a self serve kind of display a la Target or Kohls.

We agitated the store manager with our search to see if we could locate a sneaker without the pokey part that was making Mom nuts...we were such Americans! Or teenagers. :rolleyes:

Mom wasn't successful...but I found these sweet sneaks:

http://www.desigual.com/en_GB/women/shoes/sneakers/prod-lola-51KS1C2

Mine came with normal laces in an olive green color with ribbon laces in the olive green color also in the box like this:

50ks1b2-4-1.jpg

They aren't particularly Earthy...but they are fairly muted with a variety of blues and a good Earthy green. I figured that as an accent shoe...especially with jeans or other neutrals...they would be great fun and get plenty of wear considering how much green I wear...and more recently teals and blues.

I also neglected to mention Tea Time.

Hotel 1898 has Tea Time in the lobby bar. It isn't a big deal. It is self service...a pot of hot tea with milk, honey and lemon available:

DSC02172_zpsy1vpq1lb.jpg

The lobby bar is a lovely sit...

DSC02385_zpspvflzaau.jpg

While enjoying our tea the previous day...two Americans came and plopped down next to us. They were exhausted from their city tour that day and were talking about that fact. We started talking with them...and low and behold...come to learn that they also live in the Atlanta metro...and in fact, the man works for the same company that all my British ladies' husbands work for.

Small world.

We also had a bit of business to take care of...we needed to print our boarding passes for the next day...*Sigh*

The business center at the Hotel 1898 is exactly what I would want a home office of my own to look like and feel like:

DSC02363_zpsqj5h2ado.jpg

At the conference table, there were two Apple computers that were available, but not connected to a printer. There were two other computers hooked to a printer...Mom is sitting at it (looking back toward the entrance):

DSC02365_zpsajbnddlw.jpg

It's great fun trying to navigate through a computer whose default language isn't English...

Then it was time for dinner...warning...food pictures coming!