All things EARTH...

For any of you in the path of this coming storm, please stay safe.

Anita, that is a pretty sweater. I do agree that it is pricey. Does wool, cashmere and the like bother you at all? I get rashy and itchy, but sometimes it isn't too bad. I have a winter scarf I like made of lambswool, but the rash is short lived so I wear it anyway! You can't beat how warm it is, and the colors are awesome. Brown, gold, rust...

Margaret, I'm glad you like the green dress. I'd love to see that one too! Does it go good with your alligator sandals? I look forward to seeing how you accessorize it. I think it is so much fun to change up outfits by jewelry, scarves, shoes and so forth.

My sister is progressing well. They were considering sending her home tomorrow, but she had a rough day today, so they are going to hold off. They had her walk up and down basement stairs yesterday. They kept her safe and have things in place for this, but she was still pretty scared, I think. I told her to keep in mind that she lives alone, so a few more days isn't a bad thing.

I can't believe I'm a month away from my cruise.Yay!

Anita, If I had a fabric store closer, I think I would dabble more. I don't see myself making clothes, for a number of reasons. I might make a few things, maybe even a dress or two. But I would enjoy making curtains and pillows and things like that.

I remember about ten years ago, my husband found a chair he loved. It was a really nice tapestry print, and it went great with the solid color couch we had at the time. I looked up the info from the tag of the chair, and with some searching, found a manufacturer for he fabric. I ordered some, and made matching pillows for the couch, and a throw. That was really fun.

All of you in the path of this nasty storm stay safe. I see lots of online browsing in your future. Melody

Yes, indeed. :)

I have some fashion photos to post, and I'm going to start working on our next photo album. Our Australia one came in the mail and it came out great. I went to put it in the bookcase, thinking that our Houston cruises would be the next book to work on, and I couldn't find our Turkey trip. Turns out it was the first cruise we had a digital camera -- before that we printed actual photographs to stick in a book and I don't think My Publisher existed yet -- so the photos are still in the computer but we never made a book. It just got lost in the transition. So, that one is next! That will be a fun trip to re-live.

Like everyone else I was running errands like crazy today pre-blizzard. I think everyone in NYC was doing the same thing. The stores and streets were BUSY.

I don't sew any more. I think I did enough. One day I'll dig out some pictures of the costumes and hats I've made and post some. I was big on repurposing then, I would buy things at Goodwill and remake them. Things like vests or jackets are time-consuming to make from scratch and we would need maybe six of them. Nowadays I just use my machine for mending, and it spends most of it's life in the closet.

Just poked my head into The Vivienne Files and her post from two days ago is perfect for us. Paul Klee is one of my favorite painters. If you substitute blue for the green she uses, you'd have one of the capsules I use for traveling to Michigan in the warmer months.

Sally, that is a really nice sweater! I will have to look and see what they have, but I love that color of the one you posted. It seems to have the style in mind of the Nordstrom sweater that Anita posted.

How are you holding up in the storm, Margaret? Is anyone else getting snow? We had a very beautiful winter day here. It is very cold and of course we still have all our snow...but the skies are clear and the sun has been shining. I have a bit of a cold, so I went to the gym this morning but I've mostly been doing laundry and other chores.

I've been meaning to ask you, Margaret - was it a long/expensive taxi ride to Nachi Cocum? We are still figuring out what we want to do in Grand Cayman. I really think we will end up back at Stingray City. That was so much fun. That is really the only planning I have left for that particular trip. I think I need to call today and set the time for our transfers from the airport to the hotel, and that is it. I'm going to look over my hotel info a bit more so that I get some ideas on where we will eat dinner the day we arrive. I like to plan things a lot, but one of my favorite ways to plan dinner is to ask the locals where they go.

Melody, when do you leave for Hawaii?

Laurie. The taxi we used to Nachi Cocum was $36 for 6 of us but $20 or $22 for 4 (each way). Love Nachi. If you like fish try the grilled grouper, best fish I've ever had (& I'm from Boston!).

We're leaving on 22 April for Hawaii with the cruise leaving on 26 April. I booked a couple of excursions today, a sunset catamaran on Maui; an outrigger canoe & beach day in Kona; & the Volcano National Park & Rainbow Falls in Hilo. We're renting a car in Maui & will go to the National Park & part of the road to Hana. we're renting a car on Oahu too. Planning on a full day photography (including instruction on landscape photography DH bday gift) tour on Oahu & of course Arizona Memorial & Dole plantation (for pineapple whip), hike Diamond Head (views are worth it). Melody

Edited by awhfy

Sally...that's a nice sweater. And looking at the JJill site, I'm tempted by several other sweaters, just because I don't have many sweaters (well, I have 3...2 crew necks (which I don't love) and 1 cardigan) and sweaters seem like they would be so nice in the winter. I recall that I liked wearing sweaters in California and Colorado...

But that sweater is too long. It's more tunic length. I need a sweater to stop at hip length. If the sweater is any longer than hip length, it won't look right with the skirt, especially with the way that the layers/seaming is in the skirt.

I've been sewing so much I've made my presser-foot foot ache. It took me a while to figure out what was going on. Good grief!

Today I made myself a fleece hat. It's super cute. I love fleece. It's warm, but most fleece hats are a bit sporty/casual. I found a pattern for 1920s style hats for fleece. Now I'm sporting a lovely wine colored cloister hat. I took a selfie on my new iPhone but I hate the selfies on phones. The picture is backwards to my eye. It flips it from the view in the camera. I'm not sure if there is a way to not make it do that.

Anyway...I prefer a "selfie" on my camera, but I think the batteries need to be recharged.

I don't now the official snow amount, but around my house we got an inch or so. It didn't accumulate on the roads or the concrete...and when the sun came out, it melted pretty quick. The snow in the constant shade is barely hanging on...

It was lovely to waken to big fluffy snow flakes falling...and to see the thin layer of white on everything. I don't necessarily mind that it is mostly gone.

The one thing I miss about true snow fall is the insulating quality of the fallen snow. So quiet after a good snow fall.

Laurie...Nochi Cocum is so wonderful. We always have a great day there. I second the grouper. It truly is the best thing on the menu for the entrees.

Beautiful moon, Melody. We are at 24" of snow and counting, and they expect we will break the record for today. We are snug in our apartment but there is absolutely no transportation at this point. We are under a state of emergency, which means they are ticketing anyone out on the roads. The snow plows are going by fairly regularly, and occasionally an ambulance. I have to hand to it the emergency responders who have a terrible night ahead of them.

I feel for those in the coastal areas because there is some bad flooding happening in the "A" zones, especially in New Jersey. We have a full moon high tide tonight making everything worse.

Anita, do you mean a cloche hat? I can imagine that style would look fantastic on you with your hair. I love that you mentioned the hush that comes with a good snowfall. It is especially noticeable here because it's usually so noisy.

Laurie, I think we spent $20 each way to go to Nachi Cocom. We are generous tippers, though. It is cheaper if you can hook up with another couple on your cruise who is going there. We were at the International Pier. Totally worth it, IMO. I would go back to Coz just to go there again.

We just had steaks on the indoor grill and a good bottle of red wine. :) I think our Scrabble game will have to wait until tomorrow! I can't spell right now!

I DID mean a cloche hat! :rolleyes:

The hat pattern I have has 5 different hats. They are all 1920s inspired. I do like hats... I'm hoping to make at least 4 of them. I'm not sure about one...

Amazing snow Margaret! I've only experienced that kind of snow fall once. We got 30" when we lived in Loveland, CO...we were moving down the street that weekend. :eek: The sun being what it is in CO, the meltage the next day was extreme. DH was parked on the street and the water froze in the gutter. His tire was encased in ice that was as deep as the curb.

I finally fixed all the bugs in my laptop, so here are some photos from January Vogue.

This is a dress. I wish I could find a pic of the whole thing but no luck so far:

RalphLauren.jpg

There seems to be a sporty theme in dresses this season:

Express.jpg

This Gucci dress keeps appearing, but I don't think horizontal stripes are my thing. I love the chartreuse shoes with the short plum dress:

Gucci.jpg

The text for this Victoria Beckham dress had my jaw dropping. It says that in the old days a girl would wear a slip with a lace dress like this, but now a bikini or just a thong is the thing. Not in NYC as far as I know:

VictoriaBeckham.jpg

Not totally happy with the top parts of these Burberry dresses, but I love the beautiful red and the skirt parts are divine:

Burberry.jpg

I know this Balmain isn't an EARTH green, but I can swing this color for some reason:

Balmain.jpg

Some sunglasses for those of us who are cruising soon:

Gucci:

Sunglasses2.jpg

Sunglass Hut:

Sunglasses1.jpg

Miu Miu:

Sunglasses3.jpg

If these Valentinos are a sample of Pantone Lilac Gray, it might be a good color for us:

Valentino.jpg

David Webb bracelets:

DavidWebbbracelets.jpg

Cute Chloe handbag:

Chloehandbag.jpg

I'm liking those bracelets! And while I love lace and think that dress is beautiful, I would like to see something under it, for sure. I don't get this whole undies look. I think the last awards show had an actress wearing a similar look, and my daughter said to me "did you see that? It looked awful." So I know it isn't just me being old fashioned or something like that.

I'm partial to red, as you know, so I do like that dress. I'm curious to see the rest of it too. That print dress has beautiful fabric to it.

Anita, please show us your sewing projects as you complete them. I'd love to see the hats you are working on.

I hope everyone's favorite team won today. I can't say I have a favorite football team at the moment. I do enjoy watching though. I cheer for Green Bay here and there. We went to see the Syracuse Silver Knights game, which is soccer. We have a hockey team too, the Syracuse Crunch. But college basketball is at the top of my list. I've followed the Syracuse Orangemen since I was a kid.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Well, my cold has caught up with me! The good thing is, I took a cold tablet and I am feeling much, much better. If this is all I get all year, then I'm happy.

I saw this yesterday and got to thinking how timely it was. I think most of desire a certain amount of quiet once in a while. There is a typo on this, which drives me nut since I was just copying something online and can't fix it. Still, I think you will all appreciate it.

366530B9-3ED1-4A69-B104-AB377F0495D8_zpsbhu3xdcb.jpg

For the fun of it, I looked at Neiman Marcus yesterday. I was surprised at the number of earthy looking dresses I was seeing. It's nice to see things in our color group. The trend still seems to be the high necklines, although I saw quite a few things with other styles of necklines.

I just love this Viutton outfit. So casual. So unique:

Vuitton2.jpg

This sock ad just inspired me for the mix of texture and pattern:

Textures.jpg

This tiny picture didn't attribute the clothes. I think it's the unexpected orange purse that got my attention. Love the coat, and the denim-colored fur collar gives it some edge:

Leopard.jpg

Yummy Bicego necklace:

Bicegonecklace.jpg

First, I apologize to the photographer for butchering the photo, but I tore it badly when I took it out and this is what I could save. This isn't really about the dress, it's about how beautifully her pose and the design on the gown are repeated in the shapes of the shadows on the tree trunk. Lovely:

Vuitton.jpg

This Akris satin pant outfit (with velvet, I think) had me thinking Anita... elegant and formal enough for evening, but still sporty and fun. This model has nice muscle definition for the look:

Akris.jpg

I've been looking for a more detailed photo of this Paco Rabanne. I know there is teal in there. :) It's made of aluminum mesh:

PacoRabanne.jpg

I'm trying to guess what the influence was for this Marc Jacobs... Art Deco meets disco? Punk Gustav Klimt? Anyway, I think it was my favorite thing this month:

MarcJacobs.jpg

Love the handbag

Me too, a new bag like that would be a delightful way to welcome spring. Thinking of you today, Melody, because I'm wearing my Vinylux polish. :)

Laurie, I hope you feel better soon! It's a good excuse to cuddle with your pets.

I just flipped through the teeny weeny January issue of Vogue. Not much to share, ladies. :(

If the sun ever comes back out, I'll take a pic of my new green dress.

LOVE the off colored shoes with the plum dress. Whenever I see something like that, it seems to turn the plum color (or similar deep lovely color) into more of a neutral...and you just decide that you can accent your neutral with any color. For me, I have a plum colored dress, actually, that I picked up for a song from Goodwill...a nice long sleeved simple dress that reminded me of one Margaret had posted a while back saying that she would get such mileage out of it dressing it up or down...

But I don't have puce shoes. The idea of the unexpected color is such fun though.

Great handbag with all the different textures and kind of tone on tone coloring!

I like the bracelets too, but I've learned from experience that I'm bothered by the rattling of wearing clanky bracelets. I do like the cuff with the lacing a lot. I don't mind wearing a charm bracelet though. So I don't think it's the sound...it's the movement up and down my arm. Makes me nuts.

The sock ad is fabulous. I would never wear that like that...with those shoes and the shorts. But I might wear socks over tights with tall boots. Regardless, those colors and patterns are pretty fab.

LOVE that pants outfit. I love the key hole tunic with the slim fitting pants. I think it would be great if those pants had a little tux stripe down the outside. Again...there it is in black...and I don't think you could get the same classy effect with brown. I'm thinking a rich wine or burgundy color or deep, deep green that was almost black.

That denim skirt is really wonderful. Great A-line and thigh high slit. I'm not a fan of jeans on jeans though. The "matching" jacket? I think there is joke that that is called a Canadian tux? It's debatable as a look...I like it better when the denim doesn't match...but otherwise, the idea of that outfit is pretty wonderful.

TOTALLY OT:

I want to share this link with everyone:

http://www.alignforhealth.com/blog/self-care-for-hip-groin-and-back-pain

Specifically, there is a video on that blog page that instructs you in how to do what the lady is calling "hip glides." And that's what I want to share, because I don't think this information is readily found and it is beyond helpful.

I might have shared before. If I did, I apologize, but I'm doing these hip glides again for my left hip (I did them before for my right) and it is just amazing the difference it makes after doing them only once.

The deal is that my left hip has starting grinding, crackling, popping and otherwise making noise that is honestly, unnerving at the least and down right scary as a possible portent of future troubles at the most. I've come across some other information as to the "why" but the deal is that any sound coming from your joint (including snapping hip) could be an indication that your femur isn't well seated in your hip joint. The hip glide movement is designed to gently guide your femur back into joint and to sit there better.

It's just a way to make a simple adjustment. And it works. As I said, after only one go round, my left hip is already amazingly quiet...noticeably, wonderfully, fabulously quiet.

A place that I found speculating as to how this can happen was talking about having increased strength in the quad muscles relative to the muscles that actually keep your femur in joint (deep hip muscles) and the force of the quad on the femur as you do certain movements, especially if you aren't engaging those deep hip muscles as strongly. How this imbalance combined with any miss on perfect biomechanics can cumulatively result in the femur being just off...and how being just off can actually result in greater wear and tear and "catching" and other things that result in discomfort and noise.

Thankfully, I wasn't having any discomfort...unless I really needed my hip to pop, of course...and then the pop would be like, AHHH. Which is also nerve wrecking.

I'll try to get some better photos of my hat today.

The new nail polish colors are lovely! I am in the "NO BUY" zone though. We have a huge trip that we are saving for and thus, we are being ultra conservative with our spending...really being thoughtful. I already have more colors than I could likely wear in a year...:rolleyes:

Here is my hat:

P1110287_zpsggvtsyha.jpg

I received a complement from the Target cashier on my hat/scarf combination. They don't match, but they do coordinate. I like the more wine color of the hat with the more purple color in the scarf.

From this view, you can see the detail in the hat more:

P1110289_zpsl2xixbat.jpg

Everything is over exposed in this photo...and the flash wanted to go off, but then it distorted the color even worse. The hat has four pieces to the crown part and then the brim is permanently folded back with the buttons added on both sides. The buttons are a kind of antique pewter kind of color. They are what I had...I'm working with what I have. A would prefer a golden color, but I feel like it works well enough if I wear the pair of earrings I am that are a combined gold and antiqued silvery accent.

Hopefully, you can see the added stitching along the seams. The original pattern calls for piping in a contrasting fabric to be added along the seams. I didn't have any cording then to make piping. I have since taken apart a different project and recovered some cord that I think would work for another version of this hat.

The project I took apart was a pair of fleece pants that I made for DH for hunting. He has since not needed them and moved on with his hunting outfit...so I took apart the pants and now I have some really nice green fleece to work with. I'm debating making another hat like this in the green or one of the different hats in the pattern.

FYI...Simplicity Pattern 1736 I made view "E".

Margaret, thanks, for sharing Vogue. Such interesting things!

I LOVE the Magenta nail polish. Love. Love. Love!!! It was my most favorite color in the 64 Crayola box.

Anita, I love your hat. The overexposure picture really lets me see the detail stitching. Love the scarf-hat combo. I would never have picked the hat pattern, but it looks adorable in real life. Perhaps, it's how natural it looks on the model? Great work!

Thanks for the video. If you happen across something similar for shoulders, please pass it along.