All things EARTH...

Hello fellow earth/autumns! Anita Latte, your description of undertones on March 4th was amazingly clear and helpful.

I've never had my colors professionally done, but I've always generally known what looks good on me. My mother was a painter so I have a pretty good understanding of color. Yet, every now and again I would make a blunder, and wonder why it didn't work (usually it was the wrong blue or red). Khaki is a big one for finding the right color, but eventually I worked it out.

I find that the lighting in so many stores is so cool and makes it so difficult to judge the color on some things.

I also have difficulty shopping in springtime, but since I love turquoise and teal it's a good time to stock up on those colors.

I'm a big fan of Coldwater Creek, and they have good sales and coupons most of the time. New York is the land of black, so sometimes it's a challenge to look fashionable and still be true to my best colors, but the black pant/correct top combo is a life-saver.

This has been helpful as I'm pretty sure I'm an earth. It's made me rethink my cruise pallet. I'm adding more champagne golds and removing some black tops. I never thought I looked good in any blues, but I just bought a fabulous teal/aqua wrap that I think will work. I will have to pay more attention in the future to the exact colors I buy.

Welcome Ladies!

I was browsing the nail colors at Target...I like OPI brand nail polish, including their Nicole brand...unfortunately, Target was WAY understocked with many empty rows...HOWEVER...there was a GREAT orangey/reddish/metalic gold kind of a color...I thought it would be a fabulous toe color for spring/summer...just on the edge of bright with the gold overtone to mute it out a bit...great name too..."Friar Friar Pants On Fire"...priced over $8.00 a bottle at Target, I know for sure I could get a better price online...wanted to report the color incase anyone else is looking for a fun, summery color.

I like Zoya.com for nail polish. they list the Tone on each of their polishes as warm or cool. So, then all you have to do is determine if the color is muted or bright. Very high quality polish and once a year, if you follow them on facebook, they give away 3 bottles for only the cost of shipping.

Here is another photo from my older daughter's wedding. When she was little, I thought she might be a winter with her very fair skin and dark hair (my mom is a winter). But, when I would put her in winter colors, she would actually look sick! As she has gotten older, she has experimented with lots of different colors, but tends to come back to an autumn pallet.

Her wedding dress was ivory. My dress was a champagne color. The wall behind really helped in this photo as well!

4648216019_26344bf163_b.jpg

Love this gorgeous pic! Also love the one with you and your two "sisters" Hehehe! Thanks for sharing :)

Jane

Edited by JaneStarr

Hello ladies!

I have done color intervention with Curt, and I most happy with my outcome! Curt said I could get away with lighter Earth colors because they are both on the warm side.

I also found these pictures very helpfull:

colour_story_autumn1.jpg.50fda425fd3114b6a0323be2f16df2fa.jpg

colour_story_spring1.jpg.b9e6124f3e0a0cf03535c36cd4da150c.jpg

How do I attach a big photo?:confused:

There are two ways to attach a big photo...actually, it is the same way, but the source depends on where the photo is...

To attach a big photo, you use the icon in the reply window that looks like the moon with the mountains...a pop-up window will appear that asks for the http location of the photo that you want to attach...enter the http code in that box...what happens is that you should be able to see the photo in the reply box...there will be IMG tags added to the beginning and end of the photo...it's possible that sometimes, the photo doesn't appear in the reply box and you have to hit the "preview reply" button to see the photo...

SO...it depends on whether or not you are trying to add a photo that is on your computer vs. a photo that is on another web page...

1. webpage photo...right click the photo that you wish to reference in your post...click "properties" in the pop-up menu...in the new pop-up window...copy the Address which should include an http location...this is what you paste into the window that pops up when you hit the moon/mountain icon in the reply window...(hint: it's helpful to have two tabs or two windows open so that you can flip back and forth from the reference web page and the cruisecritic web page).

2. your computer...if the photo you wish to reference is actually on your computer...then you need to upload that photo to a photo hosting website...there are several to choose from...I am familiar with photobucket.com and use that one...you have to have an account...generally this is a free account...you may want to investigate the privacy settings of your photo albums, especially if you ever have any personal photos so that the photos that you upload cannot be searched and indexed by search engines...you may want your photo albums to be "private" as opposed to "public"...so spend a little time knowing what the settings are for the photo hosting web site you choose...then, from that site you will be able to copy and paste an http location (the site assigns this and generally the info is readily apparant and available) OR you can just copy and paste the IMG code which will be the http address with the IMG tags already included...with the IMG tags already included, you do not need to hit the moon/mtn icon first...when you paste the http location with the IMG tags already included inot your reply, there will NOT be a preview in the reply window usually...so you might want to preview your post to verify that the photo is coming across...

I hope that this made sense to you...it would be great if you could post bigger photos of what you attached...and also, what is the source of those?...it looks like an interesting website...

And btw...welcome to the thread...all this color business is a lot of fun...I'm about one year into my wardrobe makeover...it's a lot of fun...it provides the best guidelines for shopping clearance racks...it creates a wardrobe that by nature can be very mix and match...it makes it so easy to buy shoes...to pack for travel...etc etc...I don't know if you have been into your EARTH colors in the past, or if this is all knew...it takes time to get your wardrobe turned over...and it can be a bit frustrating to continue to wear colors that you know aren't your best but necessity requires it...we have all been there and are still there in some respects...looking forward to getting to know everyone.

So glad you added this thread..Just finished doing color with Curt. He said I was an EARTH. Had my colors done years ago with the drapes and was told I was a SPRING. Most of my wardrobe is black/white. With the warmer weather finally starting to move in, I feel like I only have cold weather Earth clothes. Glad to hear about Kohl's having a good selection. Will have to check them out and also Coldwater Creek.

Am headed to Mexico at the end of April for my daughter's wedding, so need some lighter clothing...

newtocruising...welcome to the EARTH sisterhood!

I would just like to mention that it is our spring break this week...I will definitely have the opportunity to bum around the mall for at least one day...if not two (hello tennis camp for DS!)...and am planning on doing so...my birthday is around the corner and I'm debating getting myself a little something...

My point is that if anyone would like to share more specifics on what they are hoping to find...I would be happy to have more purposes to my mall wanderings...I will happily report my findings.

Dawn...I checked out that website you mentioned...just to post it here incase anyone else does...I read a review where the reviewer was frustrated because they relied on the picture for trying to figure out the color...they thought they were getting a pink like color, when in reality is was a more coral/orange kind of color...the description of the color clearly says that the color is a kind of orange coral color...and the temperature was "warm"...I am sure that we are all learning this...but you can NOT rely on online photos to determine color...too much influences our perseption of the color...from the lighting in the room where the photo was taken to whether or not they photoshopped (editted the photo)...to the calibration of our own monitors...the zoya website has great written descriptions of the colors, which is very helpful. Dawn...how is the quality of that polish? It's a bit pricy, but I do like online shopping...

I can report that Target has some nice bathing suits in EARTH colors...there is a lounge worthy tankini in a deep brown crochet type look with bronze threading throughout...doesn't look like a good swimming suit...ALSO..there is a beautiful deep green bikini (if you have the body for it) with muted golden colored embroidery on it...again more like a lounging type thing...there are more...but those were the two that stuck in my mind...Didn't really see any great cover ups there though...

I did see some burmuda style shorts in a dressier fabric...in good neutral colors...

Ooo..Anita, I think I can finally help a bit with shopping. Got a skirt with a great print at Kohl's last week. It's a flattering A-line shape and is a warm pink/dark choc/ivory print. It works REALLY well with this warmish pink Brooks Bros cardi that my hubby bought me for Christmas. Helped convince me that it really isn't the "wrong" pink for my coloring.

Unfortunately, it's very long (mid-calf) on me. I think the list price was about $36 but there was 30% off and I used a 15% one day shopping pass. I'm considering getting it shortened to mid-knee, but it actually is working well with boots to brighten up my "end of winter" wardrobe blahs.

Here are some pics I took this morning:

1) Croft & Barrow (Kohl's) Earth Print Skirt w/ CJW's Earth & Fire Swatch Cards

ry%3D400

2) Skirt with warm pink cashmere V-neck that I sometimes pair with it ( along with dark chocolate brown Cardi or blazer)

ry%3D480

3) Brooks Bros warmish pink cardi with ivory trim (Christmas Present)

ry%3D480

4)Me in natural light wearing outfit (along with ivory/cream/white? V-neck Tee)

ry%3D480

Hopefully, this is a lesson in how to correctly use Curt's AWESOME color cards and a camera to see if colors "blend" with your palate.

BTW, I think the cashmere V-neck is probably more "Fire" than "Earth", but it really seems to work on me. I also have the same sweater in a cardi. It looks amazing with dark chocolate sweater/shell underneath.

ry%3D480

I photographed it between the Earth and Fire cards for comparison sake. What do you think? Which season? I think it works with both and is one of my "best" colors.

Got a mandatory staff meeting this afternoon (ugh)...

Enjoy your weekend, everybody!

Jane

After many hours of shopping I think I have a very nice mix and match daytime wardrobe worthy of the cruise. I'm happy to see that the safari look is in. There are so many olives and tans and browns and creams to choose from. I must confess that a couple of items are actually a cool, more blue tone dark green rather than a true yellow based olive. But I still like them. I have been trying to stick with the warm beige rather than the cool colors, and I even returned some things that I discovered were wrong for me. For the first time I am leaving home almost all of my black tops. Just bring the black pants and bringing color to the top. There is so much great fun jewelry to choose from now too!

There are two ways to attach a big photo...actually, it is the same way, but the source depends on where the photo is...

To attach a big photo, you use the icon in the reply window that looks like the moon with the mountains...a pop-up window will appear that asks for the http location of the photo that you want to attach...enter the http code in that box...what happens is that you should be able to see the photo in the reply box...there will be IMG tags added to the beginning and end of the photo...it's possible that sometimes, the photo doesn't appear in the reply box and you have to hit the "preview reply" button to see the photo...

SO...it depends on whether or not you are trying to add a photo that is on your computer vs. a photo that is on another web page...

1. webpage photo...right click the photo that you wish to reference in your post...click "properties" in the pop-up menu...in the new pop-up window...copy the Address which should include an http location...this is what you paste into the window that pops up when you hit the moon/mountain icon in the reply window...(hint: it's helpful to have two tabs or two windows open so that you can flip back and forth from the reference web page and the cruisecritic web page).

2. your computer...if the photo you wish to reference is actually on your computer...then you need to upload that photo to a photo hosting website...there are several to choose from...I am familiar with photobucket.com and use that one...you have to have an account...generally this is a free account...you may want to investigate the privacy settings of your photo albums, especially if you ever have any personal photos so that the photos that you upload cannot be searched and indexed by search engines...you may want your photo albums to be "private" as opposed to "public"...so spend a little time knowing what the settings are for the photo hosting web site you choose...then, from that site you will be able to copy and paste an http location (the site assigns this and generally the info is readily apparant and available) OR you can just copy and paste the IMG code which will be the http address with the IMG tags already included...with the IMG tags already included, you do not need to hit the moon/mtn icon first...when you paste the http location with the IMG tags already included inot your reply, there will NOT be a preview in the reply window usually...so you might want to preview your post to verify that the photo is coming across...

I hope that this made sense to you...it would be great if you could post bigger photos of what you attached...and also, what is the source of those?...it looks like an interesting website...

And btw...welcome to the thread...all this color business is a lot of fun...I'm about one year into my wardrobe makeover...it's a lot of fun...it provides the best guidelines for shopping clearance racks...it creates a wardrobe that by nature can be very mix and match...it makes it so easy to buy shoes...to pack for travel...etc etc...I don't know if you have been into your EARTH colors in the past, or if this is all knew...it takes time to get your wardrobe turned over...and it can be a bit frustrating to continue to wear colors that you know aren't your best but necessity requires it...we have all been there and are still there in some respects...looking forward to getting to know everyone.

Hi Anita!

Thanks for your help, maybe it's just better for me to post a link:

http://www.kettlewellcolours.co.uk/colour-story-autumn

I will try to follow your info in the future and post pics:)

Lots of info on that site, and I love following this thread too!

I'm on the look out for silky tops for work, that hair don't stick to it and make me itchy at the end of the day, being a barber I cut men's hair with clippers mostly and the hair gets everywhere.

I'm native to Poland, so excuse my bad spelling:o

Ooo..Anita, I think I can finally help a bit with shopping. Got a skirt with a great print at Kohl's last week. It's a flattering A-line shape and is a warm pink/dark choc/ivory print. It works REALLY well with this warmish pink Brooks Bros cardi that my hubby bought me for Christmas. Helped convince me that it really isn't the "wrong" pink for my coloring.

Unfortunately, it's very long (mid-calf) on me. I think the list price was about $36 but there was 30% off and I used a 15% one day shopping pass. I'm considering getting it shortened to mid-knee, but it actually is working well with boots to brighten up my "end of winter" wardrobe blahs.

Here are some pics I took this morning:

1) Croft & Barrow (Kohl's) Earth Print Skirt w/ CJW's Earth & Fire Swatch Cards

ry%3D400

2) Skirt with warm pink cashmere V-neck that I sometimes pair with it ( along with dark chocolate brown Cardi or blazer)

ry%3D480

3) Brooks Bros warmish pink cardi with ivory trim (Christmas Present)

ry%3D480

4)Me in natural light wearing outfit (along with ivory/cream/white? V-neck Tee)

ry%3D480

Hopefully, this is a lesson in how to correctly use Curt's AWESOME color cards and a camera to see if colors "blend" with your palate.

BTW, I think the cashmere V-neck is probably more "Fire" than "Earth", but it really seems to work on me. I also have the same sweater in a cardi. It looks amazing with dark chocolate sweater/shell underneath.

ry%3D480

I photographed it between the Earth and Fire cards for comparison sake. What do you think? Which season? I think it works with both and is one of my "best" colors.

Got a mandatory staff meeting this afternoon (ugh)...

Enjoy your weekend, everybody!

Jane

Jane!

You look Fab!!!!!!

newtocruising...welcome to the EARTH sisterhood!

I would just like to mention that it is our spring break this week...I will definitely have the opportunity to bum around the mall for at least one day...if not two (hello tennis camp for DS!)...and am planning on doing so...my birthday is around the corner and I'm debating getting myself a little something...

My point is that if anyone would like to share more specifics on what they are hoping to find...I would be happy to have more purposes to my mall wanderings...I will happily report my findings.

Dawn...I checked out that website you mentioned...just to post it here incase anyone else does...I read a review where the reviewer was frustrated because they relied on the picture for trying to figure out the color...they thought they were getting a pink like color, when in reality is was a more coral/orange kind of color...the description of the color clearly says that the color is a kind of orange coral color...and the temperature was "warm"...I am sure that we are all learning this...but you can NOT rely on online photos to determine color...too much influences our perseption of the color...from the lighting in the room where the photo was taken to whether or not they photoshopped (editted the photo)...to the calibration of our own monitors...the zoya website has great written descriptions of the colors, which is very helpful. Dawn...how is the quality of that polish? It's a bit pricy, but I do like online shopping...

I can report that Target has some nice bathing suits in EARTH colors...there is a lounge worthy tankini in a deep brown crochet type look with bronze threading throughout...doesn't look like a good swimming suit...ALSO..there is a beautiful deep green bikini (if you have the body for it) with muted golden colored embroidery on it...again more like a lounging type thing...there are more...but those were the two that stuck in my mind...Didn't really see any great cover ups there though...

I did see some burmuda style shorts in a dressier fabric...in good neutral colors...

Quality is very good and none of the "evil" chemicals that so many polishes have.

I like the site because I love to have RED toes in the summer. (I am a fair winter) and I love the color that ends up when you mix winter purple and winter hot pink (bright MAGENTA?) - both can easily end up in a Fire color scheme from being ordered online. So this gives me the color selection I crave and the assurance that I am buying the right tone for my skin. I got the most fabulous red, I adore it.

My 25 year old DD came home from Target with a bikini in that brown and copper crochet fabric! It doesn't look like it will cover much of ANYTHING!!:eek:

The one that I had seen was a tankini...sounds like she got a top that is more like triangles...LOL...and if so, I agree...they don't really leave much to the imagination...not that swimwear in general does...but I do prefer more coverage for myself!

I currently have my eye on a neat suit by Tommy Bahama...I like the fact that it looks like a one piece from the front and a two piece from the back (I think the smaller area of fabric over the rear will help that not look so big)...I'm not sure about the white in the suit...but I think the overall look of the other colors is totally EARTH...

http://www.tommybahama.com/TBG/Swim_Womens/One_Piece_Swimwear/PRD_TSW61410P/2+Dye+4+Halter+OnePiece.jsp

I'm watching and waiting for a sale...because it's a little pricy for my budget, especially with how hard the neighborhood pools can be on swimwear.

Dawn...thanks for sharing...the brand sounds like the Nicole brand by OPI which is supposed to not have formaldehyde in it and maybe some other stuff...I find it to work well.

That Tommy Bahama suit is cute! It's so hard to find a swimsuit in earth tones that isn't dark. Be careful of those horizontal stripes...they tend to make things look a little wider than they actually are. It also looks like it is open on the sides, with that panel only in the front. I would have a hard time wearing that without a lot of "spillage" coming over the sides.

I have a very hard time finding a swim suit that isn't black, or isn't skimpy. There just aren't a lot of "cute" one piece suits that aren't black and ugly.

Hi! I'm a newly discovered Earth... sorry, couldn't resist. I thought I was a Winter (Ice) for years until I started noticing that I was looking chalky and older in those colors. I started researching and finally realize that I'm an Earth. I'm glad you all are here, believe me!

Hi! I'm a newly discovered Earth... sorry, couldn't resist. I thought I was a Winter (Ice) for years until I started noticing that I was looking chalky and older in those colors. I started researching and finally realize that I'm an Earth. I'm glad you all are here, believe me!

Welcome chrislynnet!...or is it Chris? or Lynn? or Lynne? or Lynnette? LOL

I read your post on the awards thread...pictures reveal the truth...and when you see the way that Curt looks at people in colors...it's like a whole new world opens up to see the effect of color on your appearance! So are you in the midst of a wardrobe overhaul now? Getting ready for your May cruise?

Kathy...finding attractive one piece suits is very difficult. I prefer a one piece...partly because I don't want to have to worry that much more about sunscreen and it can be so hard to find one that is cute...so many of them have too much going on...like the skirts (which I don't like because I like to swim and the skirt in the pool bugs me)...the brand that I found that worked well for me is LONGITUDE...they are made very well and the company tries to do things to make a suit as flattering as possible.

I checked out the 2011 selection and there was an animal print one but it had a skirt...I checked out ebay...which is kind of weird...I'm not sure how I feel about buying a used a swim suit BUT there are some nice offerings out there...a bit more limited of course in selection because of having to find the size and the color combo in the resale market BUT

I think this is a good Earth suit in a size 8:

$(KGrHqF,!l8E1Fw8)RhIBNe5(4yJww~~0_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Longitude-Red-Orange-Tropic-Swimsuit-size-8-Front-Lined-/350446917780?pt=US_CSA_WC_Swimwear&hash=item5198439894

New without tags in Size 10. This is the style of the suit I got from them. The back has a high clasp with a big circle opening in the upper back area. The way the colors blend from top to bottom is very flattering...draws the eye up to the face area and minimizes the lower area:

$(KGrHqV,!hME1fu!iu80BNf3GW(8o!~~0_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Elegant-Size-10-Longitude-One-Piece-Swimsuit-/220754939771?pt=US_CSA_WC_Swimwear&hash=item3366050f7b

!B7u92v!EGk~$(KGrHqQOKkQEzJ49mJl9BM1FDpVI,Q~~0_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/LONGITUDE-Black-Brown-Animal-Print-Swimsuit-8-NWT-78-/370481294213?pt=US_CSA_WC_Swimwear&hash=item564267eb85

Here is a size 22W...you can see how flattering it would be. This listing is awesome if you are really interested in the brand because it has the tags on and they took a picture of the sizing tag which shows the measurements and corresponding sizes for their plus sizes:

!CE3nQgQBWk~$(KGrHqMOKisE0qG((CzpBNTVJCHoQw~~0_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/LONGITUDE-22W-WOMENS-BROWN-FLORAL-WRAP-SWIMSUIT-NEW-88-/360350174831?pt=US_CSA_WC_Swimwear&hash=item53e68b4e6f

This one might be better for a FIRE lady...but I think that it would be OK for Earth...depends on how bright the blues are IRL:

$(KGrHqZ,!loE1GGmdK+6BNf6Tc(gQQ~~0_3.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/Longitude-WOMENS-Ladies-BATHING-SWIMSUIT-SIZE-14-/260752805250?pt=US_CSA_WC_Swimwear&hash=item3cb6140d82

So I realize as I breeze through the ebay offerings that there are several NWT and NWOT suits there...Longitude does have varying skirted suits too if you prefer that style...

This one is more full coverage swim dress, but has a flattering upper torso with a change in fabric to draw the eye up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/LONGITUDE-Brown-Gold-Swimdress-Swimsuit-14-NWT-/290538376788?pt=US_CSA_WC_Swimwear&hash=item43a56fce54

This one has more of a "flirty" skirt...doesn't seem quite as mature looking in style but would still have a bit more coverage than a normal swim bottom...could be just right if you hate shaving but also hate the shorts look:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gorgeous-Size-10-Longitude-One-Piece-Tank-Swimsuit-/320671773383?pt=US_CSA_WC_Swimwear&hash=item4aa986f2c7

Anyway...this is my report on Longitude Swimwear! LOL. I do recommend it as a brand...and if you look through all the styles you can see how they do strive to be flattering working with a woman's natural curves. I did seem to pick out mostly brown and shades of brown because that was easy to do...my suit from them is a green/olive/brown/golden color in that one style I mentioned, so if you come across that one...it's a GREAT non-brown Earth colored suit.

Welcome chrislynnet!...or is it Chris? or Lynn? or Lynne? or Lynnette? LOL

I read your post on the awards thread...pictures reveal the truth...and when you see the way that Curt looks at people in colors...it's like a whole new world opens up to see the effect of color on your appearance! So are you in the midst of a wardrobe overhaul now? Getting ready for your May cruise?

Hi Anita! "Chris" will do fine -- I should have signed my posts, sorry about that! I'm working with Curt now doing the Internet Consultation. Who knows -- maybe instead of an Earth or Winter I'll be a Fire! ;)

Chris

Very cute suits!!! I like the one with the goldish pattern on the top that is darker on the bottom! And I LOVE the animal print with the assymetrical skirt! I'm not crazy about suits with skirts either, but that is really cute! I have a suit by Longitude, and I do like it a lot. I just might have to find those 2 in a store (or order online) but probably not through Ebay. I haven't got any vacations/cruises planned right now, but you never know when one could sneak up on ya!!

Just wanted to share...if you have a Macy's near you and can pop in sooner than later...my Macy's has clearance racks all over the store...up to 70% off when you take an additional discount on already reduced merchandise...if you can find the Alfani section...there is a beautiful EARTH AQUA sweater...it is called "sea spray"...it is not available online any longer, but I was able to find a photo:

1149551744_YvQyR-O.png

which just goes to show you how off online photos can be...

I'll take a photo of myself in the sweater tomorrow...and you can see how different it really is from the photo...

Like I said...it's on the clearance racks...originally $59...it rang up for $17.70...my Macy's has racks in every designer's section...but also check in the nearby sections for extra sizes, etc...you know how hard it is to find Earth blues so I wanted to share sooner than later.

Just wanted to share...if you have a Macy's near you and can pop in sooner than later...my Macy's has clearance racks all over the store...up to 70% off when you take an additional discount on already reduced merchandise...if you can find the Alfani section...there is a beautiful EARTH AQUA sweater...it is called "sea spray"...it is not available online any longer

I'll take a photo of myself in the sweater tomorrow...and you can see how different it really is from the photo...

Like I said...it's on the clearance racks...originally $59...it rang up for $17.70...my Macy's has racks in every designer's section...but also check in the nearby sections for extra sizes, etc...you know how hard it is to find Earth blues so I wanted to share sooner than later.

Thanks, Anita! Hope I can get to Macy's tomorrow for a "treasure hunt"!

Jane