All things EARTH...

How funny! I have heard that when you live someplace warm, when it cools down even a little bit, it feels cold. Here in NY, when it starts to warm up I think it is so hot, even when it is only 75.

We're staying at the Residence Inn in downtown Tampa next Sunday. My husband and I were talking about where to go for a bit to eat when we arrive, and perhaps catch part of the Daytona 500. Before I realized that it was Daytona Sunday, I was going to look and see how far the Yuegling Brewery was, and how much a cab would be. We have transfer from the airport to the hotel, and the hotel offers transportation to the port. There is no point in renting a car for us.

Laurie , An interesting area in Tampa is Ybor city . It has all kinds of restaurants . It is pretty close to where you are staying . I would avoid it later on a Friday night but early would be fine . Uber cabs are very popular in Tampa .You can download the Uber app and get a discount on your first ride .

Melody , Glad to hear your husband is home & healing !

Melody, I'm glad your husband is home. I've always felt that people really start to heal well when they are in their own home.

Sally, I was just recommended to that same area of Tampa. Someone suggested the Columbia for a restaurant. Typically, we will stick close to the hotel and take advantage of the pool and just relaxing. We arrive at 1 so I was thinking a late lunch while it is still plenty light outide.

The suitcases are ready for packing but I've held off since a few packing cubes will arrive Wednesday or Thursday. We leave very early on Sunday morning. Thursday I'm getting my hair cut and running errands. Friday evening I'm getting a gel manicure after work. Tomorrow I'm going to the gym after work and also Saturday morning. Wednesday and SaturdayI'll be doing laundry. So it's a busy week!

I spent today with my sister, which was fun. It was nice having it off from work and she had a folllow up appointment. She has to use her walker, but boy is she fast. At one point she joked and said "I will slow down so you can catch up." It was pretty funny.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

Laurie, Ybor City is a fun place to visit. The Columbia restaurant you're talking about is a sister to the one we go to in Sarasota, and it is one of our favorite places to visit while we are there. Actually I think the one in Tampa was first, so it's more like the mother ship. Their 1905 salad is wonderful -- that and a sangria! Yum! That says vacation right there:

http://www.columbiarestaurant.com/

It's sounds like your sister is coming along fine, if she has graduated to the cane already. We were lucky to have good weather in December so DH could walk outside every day. I think it had a big positive impact on his recovery.

I'm supposed to get my car back tomorrow, finally. I could have used my AWD yesterday as we got 2" of snow that turned to ice and it was very slippery out.

Melody, wonderful news that your DH is home. Perhaps his appetite will improve once all the anesthesia works its way out. I'm struggling to lose the weight I gained while DH was home recuperating. This time of year makes it difficult because the weather keeps us in a lot.

I dragged all our luggage out of the closet and did a reassessment. One of our roll-aboards is going to Goodwill because DH never uses his. It's an older one and REALLY heavy so I don't use it either, and besides I have a fairly new one of my own. My big suitcase is perfectly fine to use but it looks like crap... I guess I just need to decide whether I care about that.

Anyone else looking forward to seeing how Anita's next sewing project turns out....

OMG Margaret. I hope your arm heals quickly!!

Sally...it's always so funny to read what you write regarding clothing and weather because it was so similar for me in Houston and it is spot on for Mom in AZ. The snowbirds come to town and wonder why they can't eat outside in the winter. They are wearing shorts and tee-shirts and the locals are wearing sweaters and other "winter" clothing.

Laurie! I'm getting my hair cut on Thursday too! I can't wait. Are you going to do anything new or is it just a reshape of your current style?

I have been sewing away. I have completed 3 more projects. This is the latest one:

79DCD271-77A1-4668-9D53-888C479D311C_zpsod04hnnd.jpg

It is a knit shirt in a kind of 70s inspired flared style for both the arms and the torso. Long sleeves drive me a little crazy and I always seem to push them up, so I went for the 3/4 length sleeve. I ended up cutting off a bit of the flare on the torso because I think this length is the most attractive and flattering for me.

It's a very lightweight knit so this is more of a 3 season shirt...not really including winter.

69E5EA29-9DD5-4CE0-A67F-D1AF20F5EDFC_zps3md0vs00.jpg

So the very interesting thing about sewing your own clothing is that unless you are making something that you have either made before or tried on somewhere (and are copying it), then you don't really know if you'll love a pattern when you actually try it on after making it. I made a slightly different version of this pattern first. It was the version with a square neckline which I was very attracted to.

For me, there are 3 problems with the square neckline version. First, the back was lower than I am used to, hitting right across the shoulder blades instead of above. Didn't love that for a shirt made of fleece to be a "warm" shirt. Second, I made the wrong size. (It's a learning curve!). Third, either because I made the wrong size, or because the fabric was too stiff, OR because it is the nature of the shirt...whenever I lean forward, the shirt gapes horribly and is in no way modest.

7033918C-531D-4D3F-A23C-905941DC062F_zpsgolownqy.jpg

This neckline is a scoop style hitting just below my collar bones, which I really like. The front panel of the shirt has gentle gathers to add some discrete ease across the chest and down the torso.

Making the square neckline version, I also learned that I might have larger than average delts (upper arm/shoulder muscle). I added 2 inches to that area on the sleeve piece for this second shirt.

Which leads me to wonder if that is another problem that I have with many ready wear sleeved shirts (in addition to the bust size challenge).

Anyway...I serged the whole thing. And I'm learning more and more how to do the cover stitch, which is how I hemmed the sleeves and torso.

I used an orange knit shirt that DS has outgrown to be the facing fabric on the front and back yoke. This means that I think I have enough fabric to make a sleeveless version of this shirt.

SO. The debate is. Do I try to alter the square neckline into something I like better (raise the back yoke up a bit) and make the smaller size. Or do I repeat this shirt, just without sleeves.

I think this fabric is very fun...almost tribal like. It might be a bit bright...

Anita, I like that neckline on you, great a Earthy color & pattern. . I find with square necklines on me they almost always gap. I also have good sized delts (more so now that I'm swimming 3 days a week along with aqua aerobics). Might be my issue as well. Melody

Anita, I read once that a true inverted triangle or V shape has broad shoulders. I spent so much time focusing just on my bra size when there is more to it than that. Myself, I can't wear a squared off neckline, or one that high up. I need a scoop or a V. I can get away with some that are asymmetrical, as long as the shape breaks up the expanse of fabric.

That being said, I do like this shirt on you a lot. But I understand that the neckline shape may bother you.if it keeps you from wearing it, I would definitely see what you can do to change it. I love the fabric. This is a really flattering shirt on you!

We had really strange weather today. We got some snow over night, then it changed to rain, then sleet, then snow. What a total mess!

Laurie, my thoughts about a different sewing project (a variation of this pattern) may have been confusing. I do like this neckline. It is about as high or small as I like. I think a crew neck is really unflattering on me, but this one works.

Melody, I was trying to find pictures of other square necklines online, just to see how it should fit. With the square, the shirt really has that peasant shirt inspiration, and every single picture I was able to find had a looseness about the neckline that suggested it would be a flasher when leaning forward or, OMG, actually bending over to do any normal task, like dealing with a dishwasher.

So, I'm thinking that I can rule out that kind of neckline for me UNLESS there is some sort of elastic or draw string across the top to adjust the very top of it to try to not gape. I won't be making a sleeveless version of this shirt with the square neckline.

Such a bummer because that neckline was the thing that attracted me to this pattern!! Ah well. It is still a very useful pattern.

Now I'm debating making a sleeveless shirt with my leftover fabric or making a knee length (if I can) skirt. The skirt might have to be really simple because I have just over 1 yard left...

Do you think it'd be weird to wear a matching shirt and skirt? It wouldn't look like a dress...it would still look like coordinates.

I know I wouldn't have to wear them together...but I don't have any shirts that really coordinate with this fabric. At least. I don't think so. I can at least wear the shirts with jeans or tan or other neutral bottoms.

Might have to shelf this fabric for a bit and work on a more winter appropriate shirt.

Oh. I'm going to be entering a contest on the sewing pattern review site next month. It's a Bargainista Challenge. You have to make something that is inspired by something in an ad, or in a store, etc. ANd then you have to calculate how much you saved by making the item yourself.

I'm going for the culottes that I fell in love with from TVF:

https://www.net-a-porter.com/us/en/product/562195?cm_mmc=LinkshareUS-_-J84DHJLQkR4-_-Custom-_-LinkBuilder&siteID=J84DHJLQkR4-8d0IC9lMDL338l3kcYRMug

I have an animal print fabric that I think will be really fun!

For the contest, you can make a muslin of the pattern before the beginning of the contest, so I might get started on that too. After all, I do have to figure out how to adapt a pattern to make these anyway.

Well...I do have some things that "go" with the skirt, but they aren't flattering at all. And some things don't work, style-wise. My shirts are too fitted...I really need something with more volume to balance the slimmer skirt (especially with my current shape).

Whatever, I made the skirt. I decided that it was the best use of the leftover material:

2D7E3E9B-4682-470F-8382-45B2435950CF_zps9luftnx8.jpg

I had enough fabric to make this faux warp version with the asymmetrical hem. There are a few mistakes here. I won't bother pointing them all out...most won't be seen if I wear an untucked shirt (which I would).

The main thing is that with the way that I made this skirt, it will be easy to alter in the future when I do need a smaller size. And I'll be able to fix the little mistakes that I made.

I will point out...I didn't have the right shaped fabric to make the faux wrap panel on the skirt, so I pieced fabric together with a flatlock stitch on my serger so that I could try out the style. If you aren't familiar, a flatlock stitch does exactly that...lays perfectly flat. I think it makes a kind of faux ruffle look.

I did the same thing to be able to make the waist band.

One thing I really like is the rolled hem in lieu of a more standard folded under and top stitched kind of hem.

I did try the skirt on with the shirt. Maybe if my body shape were different, it would be cute, but right now, it's a bit like a short mu mu, which is not a good look on me. :rolleyes:

Anita, the faux wrap style has always been one of my favorites. I like how resourceful you are too!

My haircut tomorrow will probably be the same cut. Last fime, because I was overdue, I think it ended up too long even after the cut so I want to get rid of that issue this time. It's going to be a busy day tomorrow. By the time I'm done with work, my haircut, grocery shopping and bill paying, it will be time for bed. Friday I work to 6 and then I'm getting a gel manicure with my daughters. Saturday will be the day to finish up everything.

My packing cubes came today. This is a new experience for me. It see s like different sizes are important. The small is very small. I was able to put underwesr, two pairs of socks and nothing else. That was when rolling everything. There was room to fold my sports bra and put that in there too. I used another small to hold swimsuit cover ups, also rollethe medium I only got one of and wish I had another I have 7 shirts, a workout shirt and workout leggings in. I would have like another for bras and swimsuits?

I rolled two pair of very casual capris. I don't plan to rolls shorts or my dresses. Does this sound like what all of you do?

I'm hoping for no flight delays. They're calling for snow Sunday.

Anita, love that skirt, it'd look awesome with a tshirt & a jean jacket!

Laurie, go to Ross, Marshalls or TJMaxx, the medium packing cubes are always on sale there. Medium is my favorite size. I use the small for lingerie; mediums for bras, swimsuits & workout clothes. I put complete outfits for precruise hotel stays together with lingerie in the large bag (on top of everything). I probably have 6 medium, 3 small & 2 large. I also have an extra large that I've never used (too big)

On another note, DH was readmitted to the hospital yesterday with critical dehydration. After 12 liters of fluid he's starting to come around [emoji7]. Doc is keeping him for several more days to ensure no more relapses! Melody

Melody, I'm sorry to hear that your husband is back in the hospital. I hope he is back home quickly! That had to have been scary for you.

Anita, how did your hair come out? As you know, I wasn't planning on getting anything different done. Before my cruise in May, I used this picture as a basis for getting my hair cut.

hair_zps8mysj43u.jpg

But I wasn't very good about keeping up the cut, and the last time I had my hair done, it just wasn't right. Not the right shape, not the right length. So I told my hairdresser that I needed it to be a bit shorter than I had it the last time, and maybe a slightly different shape, with more layers like I had before?

Then I said that I wasn't making any sense. And she said "I understand." And she went to work. I will have to take a picture tomorrow, as the length is a lot different than it was! But I think it goes really well with my face shape. We will see how that works out. I know it will be easier for the cruise, that's for sure!

I'm off to start packing. I will get the hang of the cubes, I'm sure. Melody, I agree that mediums are a great size to have. I wanted to put my bras, bathing suits and coverups in the medium bag, but I only had one. I don't have a Ross here, and TJ Maxx is out of my way. But I do have a Marshalls, so I will check there if I have time. I'm definitely thinking one more medium and maybe a large would be good to have.

I'm thinking a coral color for my fingernails. I'm going to do my own pedicure, because it's too much of an issue with the boots to have them done at the salon. That means two different colors. They would be different anyway, because I don't bother with gel for my toenails.

Part of me says to do something fun! And part of me says what would look nice with my dinner dresses? I don't know, I guess I'm a bit weird sometimes. I just feel like I need a more classic color. Wouldn't an aqua like blue to match that one dress be awesome? But I would definitely not like it with my dresses the other four nights. Decisions, decisions...

That's a cute hairstyle but I can see it being hard to maintain. My stylist goofed on my hair & wedged the back (that I'd just spent 3 months growing out of a wedge so I could ponytail in Hawaii [emoji22]. It'll be fine, but I really wanted a pony [emoji30].

Hope you have an amazing time Laurie

My DH is starting to improve. Will probably be here another 3 days (thank goodness for good medical insurance! I already know his surgery was over $75K! Melody

Melody, hope your DH is able to come home again soon! So sorry he had to go back to the hospital.

Laurie...share your hair cut! But if you don't have time, I understand. The last few days before vacation can get very busy very quickly!

Medium cubes are very handy. I have eBags cubes. I also find the slim version to be super duper handy too. I love packing with cubes. For so long, I didn't think it would be worth it...I had a very particular method of packing that I did because my Dad did forever and it works well, so I didn't see the need for the cubes. But now, the ease of packing and unpacking and repacking with cubes has sold me on the concept and I love them!

I have always used other bags in my carry on tote to organize it. I love bags. IDK why...I don't really use handbags much...but bags in general...how weird that sounds.

I'm growing out my undercut because I need my hair back to get the cut that I really want. So, my hair doesn't look that much different than previous cuts. It has more layers in it than before though, but it's looking very smooth again right now, the layers are hiding in the heavy straightness of my hair. The product has kind of worn off because I keep playing with it.

What a bummer about your hair Melody. So disappointing to something like that happen.

I wore my new shirt to my hair cut appointment. I paired it with skinny jeans and knee high boots. My stylist and her mate complimented me on the shirt...they were shocked that I had made it. That was fun.

One of my upcoming projects will be for DS. He is going to Prom. Luckily, his girlfriend has some respect for money matters and I don't feel like he HAS to have a tux for that night. He has been wanting a black sport coat...he's worn the plaid a lot and since it is so memorable, he's wanting something more neutral.

Anyway, I caught a great President's Day sale and bought him a suit from Macy's for $100, which I think is a steal in and of itself and well worth it considering the cost of a tux rental. All that to say that I'm going to be making a formal vest and bow tie for him. We just need his lady to get her dress so we have a clue as to how to coordinate DS' colors. I don't think he need to perfectly match...just coordinate.

For Homecoming, she wore black, so, if she does that again, we'll have a clean slate!

Meanwhile, my next project is working with a novelty sweater knit. Should be very interesting. I've never worked with anything like it before. Should be challenging.

Anita, I like your new clothes! I am with you on the ¾ sleeves. I’m always pushing up long sleeves, and I rarely wear blouses for the same reason. If I wear a button shirt, I always end up rolling the arms up. As for necklines, I am often leaning over student’s desks to help them and a square neckline is a no no. Except for maybe formal wear or other events when you expect to sit pretty and not do much, a square neck is not very practical. As for the skirt… that is really cute! I like slim skirts and the faux wrap is so fun.

Good luck with the sewing contest. I remember those culottes because what I liked about them was that the flow of the fabric made them very skirt-like. They look very fresh and comfy, but still very finished, rather timeless. Some of us here love animal print, so I hope you share!

Laurie, I’m sure you’re running around like crazy today. But I wanted to say Bon Voyage, and how cute your hair looks, and take lots of pics for us. Have an amazing time! Let us know if you become a packing cube devotee. 

Melody, I hope your DH is coming along ok. My guy is doing very well with his new hip. He is much cheerier in general, which is lovely. It is noticeable in hindsight how his personality had suffered along with his leg.

I had a much better week. My arm is coming along ok, I got my car back (finally), and I had my first bone density scan and it showed some very healthy bones. Yay! With all the osteoporosis in my family, that was very good news.

Next weekend we are making our annual visit to DH’s cousins in Palm Beach. I bought a lighter-weight rolling duffel, so I’ll get to take it on its maiden voyage. Tomorrow I’ll decide what to pack, which will be a challenge since I’ve gained some weight. I’ll have to remember not to dress like a tourist in shorts and a tshirt. :) Even though we’ll only be gone three days, I need to bring two dinner outfits, a brunch outfit, and day wear suitable for PB. I may bring Zumba wear if I can find a class. I’ll need to work off all the red wine and scotch I’ll be drinking….

Howdy! I'm at the airport. We flew out of Syracuse at about 6:30. We are now on Philly awaiting our flight to Tampa.

I had some extra excitement in the form of...wait for it...shingles! Thank goodness, they are mild and I'm on medicine and in very good shape. I never knew there were some symptoms you get beforehand, such as a general not well feeling and headache. And it wasn't a random rash either. But all is good, as they're dry.

I got a manicure in an orange coral color. My toenails i

Did in a glittery gold.

Bon Voyage Laurie! OMG on the shingles! I hope it doesn't interfere with your vacation in any way, I know how much you've been looking forward to it. Enjoy!

I think I get the North Style catalog...I haven't looked through your links yet Margaret, but IIRC there ARE some nice things in that catalog. Glad to hear your arm is coming along. Hope your weather in Palm Beach is lovely!

I've been making an effort lately to wear clothes that I haven't gotten into a habit of wearing. Funny how you can buy some things but they never seem to find a home in your clothing rotation. I don't mind seasonal and special occasion items that are like that, but I've reached a point where, if I don't wear it...I don't want it anymore. And if something about an item is bugging me, I want to figure it out and see if I can alter it.

As crazy as this is to write, it's been about ONE YEAR since I did the KonMari on my clothing. I have made few changes over the past year, but enough that I need to revisit my drawers and rearrange a bit.