All things EARTH...

Thank you everyone for your input, I’m finding it so helpful. Today I had a bit of a color revelation, for lack of a better word, and it comes from three things really, and believe it or not I’ll circle around and come back to my brown dress. The first thing is a recent photo I saw in Elle Décor of a room that while not my particular style, captured my eye because it was so well-balanced in its subtle use of color and style. Second is my recent pondering regarding Pam’s picture on the FIRE thread with the brown top: http://s962.photobucket.com/user/AnitaLatteMom/media/Australia/P1080854_zps39060ea1.jpg.html And the third thing obviously is all of your accessories feedback here.

I finally determined that what I liked so much about the room is what I also like in a good outfit and a good painting. It’s that color and form are arrayed in way that leads the eye around, and while there may be points of interest, nothing is jarring, everything works as a whole. You see the room as a room, or the painting as a painting. In the case of an outfit, I think it’s that you see the woman, and not any particular item of clothing (well, except maybe for that cute Coach bag :) ). Or if you notice the clothing, you still come back to the woman.

This brings me to Pam’s outfit, which I think from a color standpoint is lovely. What I see, though, is that the eye doesn’t travel and bring you back to Pam. IMO the long earrings and the deep V triangle of the top lead the eye downward, then the light pants and the strappy shoes and the pale nail polish just let the eye trickle away and not come back up to Pam’s face. Perhaps a bolder earring in a competing shape, like a big round hoop, or a chunky button earring, would draw the eye back up and provide some balance. A circle to complement the triangle. Or a square. Just a thought. Such a lovely long neck could handle a big bold earring. And maybe a bolder polish on the toes would say to the eye Stop! Go back up now.

From there I got to thinking about how since her other clothes were so bright, and how in my case I tend to think of brown as my go-to neutral, that she/we didn’t think it was colorful enough, or exciting enough, or whatever. That brown wasn’t an interesting color in its own right. I think this is why I was kind of mystified when I started thinking about accessorizing my brown dress, as though it wasn't sufficient on its own and needed some help. And yet, just gold doesn't seem to live up to the richness of the dress. When Pam suggested the bold brown pumps, and Laurie the substantial brown and gold drop earrings, what it made me think is that I needed MORE brown, not an accent to the brown, or a complement to the brown, just an added SHAPE to the brown. Respect the brown.

Be the brown.

I know, silly. But if it was red, or purple, wouldn’t we immediately respect and respond to the color? Why not rich, beautiful brown?

Ahhhh...Margaret! I'm so happy to read what you wrote!!

I LOVE your new dress...I love it so much, I went looking at Overstock to see if I could find it! LOL! Is that where you bought it? That's where I thought the photo came from....but anyway...

I think this dress is very elegant. It has lovely lines on it... The high neckline...covering the chest, to my eye, adds visual weight...therefore, you need to keep your accessories in line with this aspect of the dress...they need some visual weight...also, it's difficult to say that this dress is busy because it is basically one color...BUT...it's busy!...the pattern, the shine from the sequin, the gather at the waist...there's a lot going on...I would consider the dress almost LESS busy if the entire thing was covered in sequin, but since it isn't...in order for the dress to be complemented by accessories, they need to be more streamlined since the dress has a lacy, shiny, busy thing going on.

I've been spending some time looking at photos through a google image search...and what I see can be described as:

1. Only blondes look good with light colored shoes with a dark dress. Something about their blonde hair makes gold or nude shoes look balanced. If you have darker hair...the lighter colored shoes look off IMO.

2. Peep toed shoes substantial shoes help this type of dress be "grounded" and in keeping with the higher neck...but the toes showing seems in keeping with shoulders showing. The shoes can be sandal type shoes like Carrie Underwood is wearing here:

js_carrie-underwood-brown-sequin-dress.jpg

Or peep toed pumps like Mom found. Something with a lot of straps get busy and seem to fight the dress. Broad straps or a more solid type of foot covering...I think this would make your eye bounce back up, like you were saying.

3. The color... Because this dress is so elegant...I DO like sticking to the more neutral, monochromatic accessories. The shoes that Mom found are pretty amazing actually. They look like brown patent leather? Which would be AMAZING for a long term investment shoe...a dressy brown shoe? That ISN'T bronze? Shiny but not sparkly? OMG. Another color option would be if the dress had a color that shows in the sheen of the sequin. Looks like a possible copper color? It took me forever, but once upon a time ago, I was able to find matte silver shoes. I needed silver for the blue dress I was wearing...if you could find MATTE metallic shoes...The right copper for you could be like a blonde wearing gold...IMO.

And then you can add color with your makeup. Including nail color. Have fun with the nail color...lip color...and even some eye color to really highlight your lovely blue eyes! It won't look clownish to have all that color with a lovely brown dress and monochromatic accessories.

As for jewelry...I need to look more at those...I was focused on the shoes...but the only question I bring up is about the bracelets...were any of them multiples? Like multiple little bracelets? I tried wearing that look...I love the look, but the SOUND of those bracelets banging around on my arm made me crazy. I don't mind the jingle of a charm bracelet...and the 3 bracelets were wider, not wiry, so they were louder...just something to keep in mind when making your selection there...

Hair...I would call that neckline a boat neckline? Is that right? Anyway...I think you need hair UP...half up...full up...whatever...UP... You need to frame your face...the higher neckline needs higher hair. I realize that on a cruise...as much as we want to get dolled up, sometimes there are time constraints? I'm thinking that your hair would look absolutely gorgeous in a do similar to this:

half-up-half-down-prom-hairstyles-3.jpg

Depending on what you find...and what earrings you find...you could add a statement hair accessory with a more simple earring...or a simple band of sparkle in your hair (like a simple accent on a decorative hair comb) and more statement earrings.

Wow...that seems like a lot to say! Looking at jewelry now...

Jewelry...

I like the earrings Laurie picked too. Having such sparkle up toward your face is where you want it. The only thing I wonder about this particular earring set is whether or not it complements the dress and picks up on that overlay fabric...or if it seems a bit busy and fights more. I think you'd have to see it on in order to know.

Looking at something completely new to bring to the conversation, you could go for a more drop earring look with fewer but larger gems. Depending on how it looks in person...is it more copper than pink? and if you find a copper kind of shoe...Something like this could be fabulous with your up do and hair color:

http://www.lordandtaylor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/en/lord-and-taylor/rose-gold-brown-stones-earrings

Here we have some personal style coming into play because I have earrings similar to these and I love them. I would be looking at real and lookalike gems in yellow topaz, smoky quartz, and citrine...and similar.

I would think about what they call a cocktail ring too? Bracelets are nice...and because there is more "weight" on the side with the gather...you could wear a single bracelet on the opposite arm to balance out the look...OR, you could wear one of those cocktail rings on your right hand, which is the opposite arm...and that might be more in keeping with the elegant lines? Since the dress really isn't THAT a-symmetrical...since the silhouette is fairly symmetrical.

I think you have to find the statement jewelry and then coordinate with that...statement earrings with gems? then choose simple bands for the bracelet...just a bit of sparkle there and maybe a simple accent in your hair. Statement bracelet? Then a more simple drop with a single gem hanging on a loop through your ear.

This is fun. :)

OMG...after all that talk about gold shoes or not...I think these are pretty fabulous:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/bcbgeneration-maddison-sandal/3524336?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=1300&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-4_5_C

You can tell from close up that the shoes look matte with shiny accents. I don't think the pattern would be good for your dress, necessarily...but I think these shoes are so fun!

So I'm curious...

I have a rough morning yesterday! I have a weekly coffee date with some lady friends. It used to be that we would all go to coffee after a Monday morning Zumba class...a local coffee shop is right across the street from the church where the class is. BUT...no one is going to that Zumba class any longer...and everyone's schedule is a bit different and so we have landed on Thursday mornings for a new coffee date...which means that I have to figure out what to wear to have coffee with the ladies...

And yesterday...I could NOT figure out a nice outfit to wear. I tried so many different things! It was ridiculous. I thought I had an okay outfit...and I think I ran into a problem with the shoes...and then I was completely dissatisfied. And finally, I ended up digging out a sweater from the wash pile (it wasn't horrible, I just decided that I should leave it out so that I could put together a sweater load...) and wearing an old standby outfit.

Why do I have all these other clothes?

And what was my problem?

Seriously...it what one of those scenes where rejected clothes were lying all over the bed, the dresser, on a shelf in the closet.

It was just that with every outfit that mentally seemed to be okay...when I looked at myself...I just didn't like it.

I'm not even sure what adjectives describe the winner outfit. Maybe ya'll can help. I wore the equivalent of skinny jeans (jeggings that Mom gave me), an orange knit 3/4 shirt, a not too-oversized cardigan that is "collegiate" in look with a brown background and orange and tan stripe details on the sleeves and a 2-way zipper (not buttons), my Simple tan sneakers (classic look similar to keds, converse, etc.), and my fun orange wool hat.

This is a go to outfit for me. I don't know exactly why I love it...but I do. It is comfortable...but it's also very cute to me. I love my hat, especially.

Oh...I was trying to accessorize various different trial outfits...and in the end, I was only comfortable in simple good hoops and a delicate chain with a small gem pendant that DH gave me a long time ago.

Isn't it amazing how you can be attracted to something...think you like it...but in the end...consistently reject it? What is that? Why is that? And how do you stop that from happening again? I need to figure out this Style Statement stuff because I obviously have issues and don't know what I REALLY wear as opposed to what I THINK I like...

And just to throw this out there too...this may not be entirely fair to judge at this time because I don't have a great assortment of cold weather clothing...shoes especially...and it's cold. But still...you'd think that with a smaller selection, this would be easier to figure out.

Wow, I had a full day of window shopping today. I looked at sooooo many shoes, and didn't find any I liked as much as the ones online. I definitely want to go with brown, and I'll tell you why in a minute. Here is a lineup of my faves so far, in order of preference:

Brown:

http://www.shoes.com/en-US/Product/17753-5162136/Touch+Ups+by+Benjamin+Walk/Gold/Womens+Debbie.aspx

http://www.6pm.com/badgley-mischka-vivian-bronze-metallic-suede

http://www.zappos.com/lauren-ralph-lauren-balina-dark-brown-satin-with-bronze-stones

http://www.dsw.com/shoe/audrey+brooke+earth+platform+pump?prodId=dsw12prod4970022&activeCats=cat10006,cat20006

Gold:

http://www.zappos.com/ivanka-trump-marid-bronze-leather

http://www.zappos.com/vince-camuto-janeese-copper

Initially I thought I'd want a strappy shoe like the model wore, but Anita's comments got me thinking about a more sculptural shoe, which apparently doesn't exist in all of NYC. And I looked!

So, further to the story, remember this dress that I posted earlier?

http://cdnc.lystit.com/photos/2013/11/01/tadashi-shoji-brown-beaded-lace-silk-gown-product-1-14621733-531623022_large_flex.jpeg

Well, I tried it on today. And I bought it for formal night. And it's brown. I love it! You would think that the torso is too busy for short-waisted me, but in fact it has a drop waist effect that evens me out just right. It does have a slit in front in the underskirt so my feet show through the chiffon. Definitely calls for brown shoes. I want some sparkly gold chandelier earrings and a fancy clip for my hair, and that's it. I know, I know, two brown dresses. But I don't care because they are both fab!

So, now the dilemma is, which shoes? Or do I buy two pair? Help! :eek:

Lots of spring clothes are already in the stores here, and I have to say it looks like an ICE and AIR spring. Most of the gold shoes I saw were very light, bright and shiny. Lots of shoes in silver and a kind of pinkish tan neutral. Many formals in AIR pastels. Lots of black & white.

In the dressing rooms, it was mostly girls trying on prom dresses, and brides looking for bridesmaid dresses. Prom dresses get cleaned out very quickly here, by April all the good gowns will be gone, gone, gone.

I LOVE your new dress...I love it so much, I went looking at Overstock to see if I could find it! LOL! Is that where you bought it? That's where I thought the photo came from....

Before outlet malls and TJ Maxx and Overstock.com, New York had Loehman's, which is where I got my dress. You are right that the picture came from O.com. Sadly, after many years of being a shopping institution, Loehman's is going bankrupt, which is why I got such a deal.

half-up-half-down-prom-hairstyles-3.jpg

I'm sure that somewhere in the stacks of photo albums we have, there are pictures of me styled just like this. It was a go-to for me when I was younger -- good pick!

So I'm curious...

I have a rough morning yesterday!

And yesterday...I could NOT figure out a nice outfit to wear. I tried so many different things!

Seriously...it what one of those scenes where rejected clothes were lying all over the bed, the dresser, on a shelf in the closet.

...I obviously have issues and don't know what I REALLY wear as opposed to what I THINK I like...

Oh gosh, this happens to me at least once a month!

To me, it sounds like your outfit had a cute, sporty vibe in keeping with your active fitness lifestyle? Maybe the uber-accessorized Chicos-type lady isn't really you, but merely an experiment on your path to your true EARTH self? I don't know, just throwing that out there.

I run into trouble in generally three ways:

PMS - truly, every month I have a day when I'm just not satisfied with ANYTHING in my closet. I think it boils down to a general physical and mental discomfort that manifests itself this way. It makes me want to shop, and generally anything I buy in this state is a mistake!

Not having something appropriate for the activity, or the weather - both DH and I tend to have lots of work choices, and lazy-at-home choices, but not very many going out with friends in the city choices. I have been working on this a bit for both of us.

Buying for an imaginary life and not the one you have, or for a perceived need that is actually different than you think it is - you touched on this a bit, I think. In my case, as I exercise my way back into my smaller clothes, most of which I bought while making my career transition, I can see now that I had difficulty trying to find a uniform, for lack of a better word, that would work with my new career. Now I kind of have a handle on that. Also, I struggle sometimes with age-appropriateness, since I'm in total denial about being in my 50s, and that gets me into trouble sometimes.

I've been trying to think about it in this way. What do I wear on a daily basis, what are my go-tos for my needs? That is my true style. Then, what are the types of things I do occasionally? For me those things include trendy dining out with friends, comfy but stylish shopping outfits, something that covers me up for in-law related activities (they are very religious, so covered arms and legs, nothing tight, nothing bright). Do I need many of those? Truthfully, no. I always have more skirts than I need, for example. I'm drawn to them, I buy them, but then I don't actually wear them.

Finally, I find it truly challenging to not be at my goal weight where I know that everything in the closet will fit well and comfortably. That causes heaps of clothes on the bed for sure.

Wow, there is a lot of action over here! I had a totally crappy week. Sorry, no other way to put it.

I'm going to start with your shoe ideas Margaret. You found such great choices! I'm struggling a bit, because I can't wear the heel that you are showing. I plan to post some pictures today, and maybe you have some ideas. I found some nice things on Zappos that I think would be a good investment, but I try to get things that match as much as possible. If you don't have a lot of choices, you need to make sure what you get is versatile. On my last two cruises, I wore my gold sandals with just about everything, and I'd really like to have more than one choice.

All that being said, I loved your picks. I think you understand your personal style much better than you think! (I'm referring to your comments about remember your age, etc.) I can see your sense of style when I see pictures of you, and of the shoes you like. My favorites of the choices you posted were the first, third and last, in that order. On a personal note, I would love to be able to wear that third pair!!! OMG! I don't think I could though. Bummer.

Part of the reasoning behind why I like those shoes, in that order: 1) they are elegant, yet fun 2) they look like they could be worn with a other items, so you'd get the mileage from them, and 3) they seem to capture something in your personality that I sense. I can't quite put my finger on it, but they are "you".

I have many a day where I have that feeling that I don't like anything I have. I've tried the route of less is more, and that seriously doesn't work for me at all. I have moods, and I dress for the mood. One issue I have is that stores don't always carry what I need. For example, it's super cold here right now. I try to find stylish weekend sweaters that are nice and warm. I don't want sporty fleece. I don't want baggy. I just don't see what I'm looking for. Work attire is no better. There are hardly no business like sweaters out there that are warm, and the jackets are all black, it seems. I'm working on trying to have a plan B with shopping...

I'm trying to make sure that I understand not only what I'm looking for, but how do I want to look? I'm trying to focus better.

I had a picture taking day today. I wasn't really feeling up to pictures, but I did feel like trying things on. The pictures help me see things more realistically, so I use them to see if the shoes or jewelry are right, if the dress is a good style, how about the color, etc.

And Margaret, if you bring the same shoes for both dresses, that right off, you are justifying your purchase. They go with more than one outfit! I wouldn't be concerned that they are both brown. They are completely different dresses, and they are both going to look great on your cruise.

I forgot to mention Margaret that your long formal would look great with some spiffy jewelry too! Anytime there is a high neckline, I look for more prominent earrings and no necklace.

Anita mentioned cocktail rings too, when referencing your shorter formal. I have taken a liking to those as well.

So here are some pictures!

I got this dress on clearance at Macy's a while ago. I love that the color is muted, because I think we can have a pretty limited selection sometimes. I'm not really thinking much in the way of a necklace, unless it is small and pendant like. I'm not wearing any jewelry with the dress at the moment, but I was thinking gold, but not any actual color stones or anything. I happened to have that pair of shoes on from another outfit, but my daughter said she liked them. I really didn't. I was thinking of shortening the dress a little.

IMG_1994_zps63a85ab8.jpg

Photobucket is acting up on me, so I'm going to try and post more in a bit.

Here is a brown dress you saw a while back. I decided to shorten this dress, and I think it looks much better this way. I was bothered about the top...I know I'm chesty, but I felt huge. My husband mentioned that the top is actually big, and so I was thinking darts. He made a comment that I should have thought about....the very top of the straps, so to speak, need to come up. The minute I pinned it at the shoulder, it was so much better. It looked really strange in the picture with the pins and all, so this is the picture pre-pinning. What do you think of the shoes? I like that they pick up the rhinestones in the dress. I don't like the pearls with it though. I have a necklace in mind that I saw. I think I will pick it up. By the way, all my jewelry is worn a lot - not just with a particular dress.

IMG_1990_zps6b9f7c42.jpg

Here is the purple dress you've seen before. I'm wearing the usual gold sandals. I picked up this necklace at Charming Charlies when we visited my daughter last week. I really like it with the dress. My daughter says that I need darker gold shoes. Anita, this ties in a bit with what you said earlier. I do think that when you tie in the items, that is a good look. In other words, wearing gold sandals and gold jewelry to carry that color up through is a good thing.

IMG_1984_zps15bf915d.jpg

Your thoughts on the next dress style wise....in real life, the colors are not what you are seeing here. If it wasn't for the fact that the batteries died on my camera, I'd take an up close picture. It's ivory, brown and black, and I would say that I've listed the colors by prominence. The black isn't as strong as it looks here. I'm curious about your thoughts on the maxi. It's a halter style dress, and my daughter is wondering if I can lower the V somehow. It isn't about having it low cut, she just feels it would work better. I threw on gold strappy flats in a hurry, but I have another pair of casual microwedge sandals that will work really well.

IMG_1992_zpsf2521bbf.jpg

Here is that teal/green dress I spoke of. I don't like the way the light bounces off it picture wise. In realty, I would not wear the strapless bra under it because I don't need to, and I'd rather have a better look. I love this necklace with it. I actually have two necklaces with beads this color, and they both look great with it. One thing that is fun is to see how the style changes when you change the jewelry or shoes.

IMG_1986_zpsc75bed83.jpg

This picture is for fun, and for an ego booster, I guess! I wore this on my first cruise, and I haven't been able to wear it since because I couldn't zip it up. It's a bit tight in the chest area, but it fit great farther down - maybe better than before!! It was always a bit short. I was saying to my daughter that if I loose a few more pounds so that it fits more comfortably, maybe I can shorten it? I'd like to see it above the knee. It would be sassy that way.

photo2_zps82e8ef49.jpg

OMG...after all that talk about gold shoes or not...I think these are pretty fabulous:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/bcbgeneration-maddison-sandal/3524336?origin=category-personalizedsort&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=1300&cm_sp=personalizedsort-_-browseresults-_-4_5_C

QUOTE]

I saw these at DSW Friday, on sale, in my size! They are awesome and yes, very shiny (too shiny for what I need now). They look comfy for being so high. Thinking that Anita needs these to go with her hot red dress.:)

I was thinking those shoes were really cute too. I have trouble with shoes in that if they aren't a more classic style, I struggle to decide if they work with an outfit. I love them, but then I wouldn't know if they'd look right with things.

For example, I think I would wear those with the coral dress. The dress is plain enough where there isn't competition for the shoe style. On the other hand, I wouldn't wear them with the teal dress because I think the styling of each would be competing, instead of complimenting. I think I overthink things sometimes!!

I love the brown dress, and once I adjust the shoulders, I think it will be a great addition to my cruise wardrobe. I love the purple too, and it's so nice to have something different! I am a total sucker for red. If you go back through the pages, you will see I have a full length formal and a cocktail dress in red.

Brown isn't easy to find. I have been thinking of adding another shorter brown dress to the mix. I want it to be a different style and fabric than what the other one is. I have one that I wore on my last cruise that I love a lot, but necklines....I just seem to need a v neck or scoop neck to help minimize the chest a bit. Compare these:

IMG_1990_zps6b9f7c42.jpg

130_zps98743c66.jpg

I tried to pick two things in the same color, and I realize that a satiny fabric reflects light. That is also another trick too...matte fabrics will absorb the light and be more flattering.

I am really thinking the coral dress needs to be shortened!

Laurie, I’m sorry you had a crappy week. I hope planning for your cruise is cheering you up -- I know it’s been helping me deal with the family stress I’m having. And how crappy is this weather? I am totally not prepared clothes-wise for temps in the single digits. We are not used to this.

I think your shoe recommendations are spot on, especially now that I’ve had time to shop around and think more. I ordered all three today, and when they come I’ll try them on with the dresses and pick a winner (or winners). I love those Camuto pumps, but I’m concerned they’ll be too pink, after the trends I saw in the stores on Friday (plus they’re the most expensive). Those strappy brown sandals came close to making the cut, so I’ll keep them on the back burner in case none of the others work out. I don’t have unlimited time to find something because I have to have the dress shortened before I can wear it. I am trying to take advantage of my ability to wear the higher heels now, because I know someday the time will come when I have to abandon them. But not yet!

I really like the coral dress, but I’m pondering the length after cruzisme’s post. I have it in my head from somewhere that you should never have your hem hit right at where your calves are the widest. From Oprah? Vogue? I don’t remember. But, on me that is not a flattering length. So, just below the knee maybe? Or high/low the hem? I don’t know, and I would love to hear what Anita has to say. The advantage to keeping it as is, is that it looks like one of those dresses that easily dresses up or down. You are lucky because there are sooooo many jewelry choices in that color right now! I can’t wait to see what you choose.

The print dress, I just don’t know. I say this with love, you know, because it’s a neat dress on its own, but I think it suffers a bit in comparison to your other more fabulous choices. Maybe because the silhouette doesn’t do what the other dresses do in terms of highlighting your small waist? However, I do think the loose dress has a place in everyone’s closet on those hot, hot summer days, and one is entitled to have comfy clothes on a cruise too. JMHO and of course you can ignore all of this completely.

Love the brown dress. I didn’t recognize it from before, it looks so different! I agree with you about the pearls. I think something more delicate, maybe, and in keeping style-wise with the spray at the waist? I look forward to seeing your new pick. I like the strappy shoes with it.

I have to say, I really like the long ivory gown as is. It’s difficult to find one like that. It’s elegant without being bridal, stylish without being too cute, and the lace is beautiful, especially the scalloped hem with your toes peeking out. Love, love, LOVE both the purple dress and the teal dress, and the accessories too. Out of the ball park on those!

You look awesome, btw, pretty clothes aside you look like you’ve lost weight and toned up some. I’m jealous because I’ve barely been able to keep from backsliding these last six weeks, let alone lose any.

Isn't this fun, having an actual cruise to plan for?

QUOTE]

I saw these at DSW Friday, on sale, in my size! They are awesome and yes, very shiny (too shiny for what I need now). They look comfy for being so high. Thinking that Anita needs these to go with her hot red dress.:)

You are so totally RIGHT!! I NEED these. I don't know if they were 50% off when I posted the link...but they are now...and I decided that I NEED these shoes for my very own. I have good experience with shoes having that cross strap across the top of the foot. My best heels have always had that design aspect. So I ordered these. I spent 3 hours at a Zumba Jam today...and pounded my feet into the ground, and I measured them for the first time in I don't know how long...and based on the measurement, I should order a size 10...I normally go between a 9 and a 9.5...but according to the size charts... so I ordered a 10...and I'm hoping that maybe this is the reason that I have had troubles with some shoes in the past...like I literally ordered too small a size. The overall heel of this is much taller than I am used to...but I am used to flat...so this should be interesting!! I'll let everyone know how it goes...

Margaret...so excited to see those shoes on your feet. You found some gorgeous shoes!!

Laurie...you have some lovely dresses.

Based on what I remember...

I believe that actual knee length is one of the most flattering lengths out there. This is the length that we are going for on Mom's alterations of all these skirts that I made for her ages ago. Above the knee is okay...right above the knee, so that you can see slim knees. And down to just covering the knee still looks good...think pencil skirts that just cover the knee. I think there is a "skinny zone" where right above the knee is generally the width of the knee from a front view (could have a muscle bulge there in profile)...and right below the knee, the muscle tends to have a nice curve inward on the inside of the leg...if you can expose that curve in the calf...then I think you hit a good length.

And I agree with not having the length hit right at the widest part of the calf...if you want that length...go longer...I think it used to be called "tea length?" and then what shows is the narrowing into the ankle. Very attractive.

I would shorten that coral dress. I have a skirt that hits me right there and I never wear it because it is so unattractive on me. I pull that skirt waist band up to my bra line which shortens it to an attractive length...and then I decide that is ridiculous to wear a shirt like that and I take it off and hang it back up and think how I need to alter that skirt.

I agree with Margaret. I look at the maxi dress and think to myself...that dress needs a BELT. And then I want to see it again because I really like a good maxi and that print is fun. Get a nice wide belt...like what they call a corset belt? One that is made of mostly elastic? Those are generally pretty comfy to wear and they help give you that waist that isn't really showing up well. I understand about the neckline and thinking about a deeper V. I'd find a belt first...and experiment with a necklace. I picture wooden beads? You could be a little tribal inspired? Big hoop earrings, too. In a simple metal loop...especially if the beads are on a gold chain. Oh yes. I see it. I think that's a great dress. It's nice to be able to cover up a bit...if the fabric is lightweight and airy...shading the legs can sometimes be so needed when on a sunny vacation.

And I second what Margaret said! Laurie, you are looking very toned. Very nice. Your toes need some color!! :D

I love the blue lacy dress. Something about that is wonderful on you. Really and truly...that may be my fav. The white isn't bridal...it's very resort vacation...and I think I like the long length. It makes me think about linen pants and long sleeves for tropical weather...the length seems to make sense...I wouldn't shorten that one.

This is so fun to have a cruise to plan for...I will have to try on my dresses to see how bad the damage is...I am carrying more weight right now and I need to see how they all look. The interesting thing is that my weight has been shifting...if I can keep doing what I've been doing...I think my body is getting ready to turn around and go lighter...I've been doing things to firm up and my stamina is pretty insane. If I can just lay off the beer and wine...I think I'll be in good shape for my dresses. My shorts are another story...I have to see how much middle weight I can lose...my dresses are all stretchy A-line kind of dresses...but anything with an actual waist band might be trouble...

All the shoes came this morning just as I was leaving for work! I was thinking about them all day, how distracting.

The results are in, and I'm keeping two.

These:

sequins.jpg

with this dress:

pisarrobrownsmall.jpg

and these:

Lauren.jpg

with this dress:

shojibrown.jpg

The Vince Camuto peep-toe pumps were gorgeous, but not the right color for either dress, plus I would have needed a 1/2 size up. They are a beautiful medium gold and if they had fit I would have been sorely tempted to keep them!

Basically it came down to the fact that neither shoe seemed like the right style for the other dress, and in addition the Lauren pumps are a dark espresso brown that perfectly matches the gown, while the bronze sequins on the other shoe perfectly match the ones on the short dress. I could have gotten away with the Lauren shoes with that dress, but the other ones are perfect.

I already know I can wear the short dress again to a May wedding we're attending here in NYC, so I'm super happy about that too!

Let's talk swim suits!

Athleta has quite a selection of swim suits on sale right now. I ordered a couple of different things to try. They have bra sizing for some of their suits. I ordered a one piece in the color Cargo, which is a wonderful EARTH color that I own in other items. It's only available in one size still and that size was a possibility for me...so we'll see how that goes! I ordered another size in a tankini in the color Otter. It's a brown that may or may not be good...it will depend on the dye lot and how the fabric took the dye, I'm thinking, because some photos look a bit mousy, and others look very golden. I ordered two different bottoms to match...a swim short and normal bottom. I'm hoping that something works! because I know that I won't fit into the suit that I bought last summer in time for the cruise...I hoping yes for the summer...and the sale prices at Athleta are such that I could get my money's worth with fewer wears.

In other news...DH made it home last night. It took him 6 hours to drive home 14 miles. Absolutely nuts. Don't know if anyone has been watching the coverage of Leon... My neighborhood is gorgeous right now...blanketed in several inches of snow that is still largely untouched all over as no one is coming or going over it. The most prominent tracks into the neighborhood were DH's tire tracks, as he was obviously the last one to get home last night. No school today. DH is having to call into an day conference call from home...he has his work laptop...and we are considering ourselves holed up for today and likely most, if not all, of tomorrow. It's only 16 degrees and feels like 2. Hotlanta...*scoff*