Princess returns to Galveston

Princess announced today the 3,070 passenger Crown Princess will return to Galveston December 19, 2012 for 19 weekly sailings to Costa Maya, Mexico, Roatan, Honduras, Belize City, Belize and Cozumel, Mexico.

Yes:)

We can only hope the Port of Galveston will negotiate a year round ship from Princess and Royal Caribbean in the near future.

Princess announced today the 3,070 passenger Crown Princess will return to Galveston December 19, 2012 for 19 weekly sailings to Costa Maya, Mexico, Roatan, Honduras, Belize City, Belize and Cozumel, Mexico.

We can only hope the Port of Galveston will negotiate a year round ship from Princess and Royal Caribbean in the near future.

Hadn't even heard they were considering Galveston as a departure port. One of my favorite cruise lines; so glad to hear this.

WOW!!!!!! Hi GC

As someone who has never cruised Princess before, I am curious how they compare to Carnival...as in price, cabins, food, etc. We might just consider taking a Princess cruise out of Galveston...have already tried Royal caribean and Carnival...and like them both.

We've done 11 Carnival, 2 Royal, and 1 Princess. They are very comparible in price out of Galveston depending on when you book (supply and demand). We've received good/great service on all three.

You can get your past guest discount on Princess since you've sailed Carnival before.

This is great! For those who live in Texas. For the rest of us who have to fly in it makes it less appealing since the Galveston port is so far away from IAH that getting to and from the ship makes it cost prohibitive. There is another smaller airport, but I'll bet the costs are much higher to fly into that one and it is still a hike away.

Not sure why Galveston is being chosen as a port by so many cruise lines. Isn't there a port in Houston? To me that would make more sense for everyone.

This is great! For those who live in Texas. For the rest of us who have to fly in it makes it less appealing since the Galveston port is so far away from IAH that getting to and from the ship makes it cost prohibitive. There is another smaller airport, but I'll bet the costs are much higher to fly into that one and it is still a hike away.

Not sure why Galveston is being chosen as a port by so many cruise lines. Isn't there a port in Houston? To me that would make more sense for everyone.

It's not more expensive to fly into Hobby Airport and it is much closer to the Port of Galveston...a 30 minute trip. Delta, Airtran, American Airlines, Frontier Airlines, Southwest, and JetBlue all fly into Hobby. We live in the greater Houston area and always fly into Hobby if we can because it's so much easier!

Have you sailed from Port Canaveral? It is a 45 min drive from Orlando airport. It's only 30 mins from Hobby airport to Galveston and an hour to IAH.

Galveston has been a port city since the early 1840's and is right on the Gulf of Mexico. Houston did not become a port until the ship channel was dug 50 miles inland after the great Storm of 1900.

Distance from the airports to Houston ship channel is about the same distance as Galveston, give or take few miles.

Other than Ft. Lauderdale, I don't know of a port next to an airport.

We always drive down, so we have maybe a different perspective..but even if Houston offered cruises, we'd keep right on driving to Galveston. We very much enjoy galveston...the different sights to see and places to eat. Its interesting..its not too big...and fun! The first time we cruised out of there, we only spent the night before the cruise, and wanted to see more...now we always spend at least two or three extra days there just to hang out and enjoy. The addition of Princess to Galveston just gives us another excuse to visit.:)

We always drive down, so we have maybe a different perspective..but even if Houston offered cruises, we'd keep right on driving to Galveston. We very much enjoy galveston...the different sights to see and places to eat. Its interesting..its not too big...and fun! The first time we cruised out of there, we only spent the night before the cruise, and wanted to see more...now we always spend at least two or three extra days there just to hang out and enjoy. The addition of Princess to Galveston just gives us another excuse to visit.:)

I totally agree. We also drive down two or three days prior. Love Galveston's history, and Victorian architecture. Taking our DD and two of her friends for a few days over spring break. Just what the Dr ordered for a severe case of senior-itis and spring fever.:D I'm looking forward to trying Princess. Did someone say if you are a past guest on Carnival you can get a discount? If RCI won't put a ship in Galveston year round, I hope Princess will.

Archived