Experiences on Amazon River Cruise

Skeezics

fyi, u must get the shot at an official yellow fever vaccination center. From my research, the cheapest place is usually a city or county health department. You must get the shot at an official yellow fever vaccination center. Brief research for YF shot prices range from $75 in county clinics to $120 in private clinics.

fyi, u must get the shot at an official yellow fever vaccination center. From my research, the cheapest place is usually a city or county health department. You must get the shot at an official yellow fever vaccination center. Brief research for YF shot prices range from $75 in county clinics to $120 in private clinics.

makes you wonder; is it really worth it; shots,visas, what are we getting ourselves into ? Apocalypse now?

Our YF shots through Infections Unlimited in Tacoma, WA (gotta love the name!) were $140 each and hurt like Holy Living H**l. Was it worth it? Yes! We took no chances with international destinations....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We are booked on the Cloud Nov 22 2011. It will be our second time doing the Manaus cruise on Silversea. Last time was 1995. We thoroughly enjoyed the cruise or we would not consider repeating the itinerary. The Breves Narrows may have been the highlight - we spend the day on our balcony watching the world pass by. Yellow Fever shot in Canada $140. OUCH.

We leave on November 8th this year - Barbados to Manaus - on the Cloud

Have booked some SS tours & hoping to sort something independantly in Santarem. Posted a roll call but only 1 response so I have to assume the ship will be empty LOL

Yellow Fever jabs in the UK cost £50 - does not hurt. WARNING tho - if you are over 60 & have never had YF jab before there are contra-indications so ask BEFORE you book!!!

Will update with our experiences on this thread when we return

Have booked some SS tours & hoping to sort something independantly in Santarem. Posted a roll call but only 1 response so I have to assume the ship will be empty LOL

Yellow Fever jabs in the UK cost £50 - does not hurt. WARNING tho - if you are over 60 & have never had YF jab before there are contra-indications so ask BEFORE you book!!!

What are the contra-indications?

What are the contra-indications?

Here is the page from the CDC -

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/yellowbook/2012/chapter-3-infectious-diseases-related-to-travel/yellow-fever.htm

and the age bit :

"Adults 60 years of age or older

Age ≥60 years is a precaution for yellow fever vaccination, particularly if this is the first dose of the yellow fever vaccine given. A recent analysis of adverse events passively reported to VAERS from 2000 through 2006 indicates that people aged ≥60 years are at increased risk for any serious adverse event after vaccination, compared with younger people. The rate of serious adverse events in people aged ≥60 years was 8.3 per 100,000 doses distributed, compared with 4.7 per 100,000 for all vaccine recipients. The risk of YEL-AND and YEL-AVD is also increased in this age group, at 1.8 and 1.4 per 100,000 doses, respectively, compared with 0.8 and 0.4 per 100,000 for all vaccine recipients. Given that YEL-AND and YEL-AVD are seen almost exclusively in primary vaccine recipients, more caution should be exercised with older travelers who may be receiving yellow fever vaccine for the first time. If travel is unavoidable, the decision to vaccinate travelers aged ≥60 years needs to weigh the risks and benefits of the vaccination in the context of their destination-specific risk for exposure to YFV."

Hi Laura and Paul--

I'll be on the same November 22 segment. I see no Roll Call thread so am using this one to say hi.

Fred

Hello Fred

Forgive me but unless I am mistaken you have made the same error I made by muddling the Cloud's voyage to Manaus with the return trip. (remember me, Spolottydog?!) We (Elaine and Adrian) are on the 22nd Nov departure 'return' trip. It has long been something of a mystery why there has been no board 'action' for this cruise -there is a very active thread for next year's similar trip!

zqtchas did start a thread under 'other cruise lines' a while back - and whilst I found Charles there it has remained a lonely existence for us.

Anyway, now we know 3 suites will be occupied... On that basis we are bound to meet!

Hello Fred

Forgive me but unless I am mistaken you have made the same error I made by muddling the Cloud's voyage to Manaus with the return trip. (remember me, Spolottydog?!) We (Elaine and Adrian) are on the 22nd Nov departure 'return' trip. It has long been something of a mystery why there has been no board 'action' for this cruise -there is a very active thread for next year's similar trip!

zqtchas did start a thread under 'other cruise lines' a while back - and whilst I found Charles there it has remained a lonely existence for us.

Anyway, now we know 3 suites will be occupied... On that basis we are bound to meet!

Heavens above - I've confused myself - again!:o

I see you were referring to Laura and Paul who ARE on the 22nd departure... This trip is starting to get crowded - that'll be 4 suites occupied!

Hello Laura and Paul - reassuring to see you are repeaters.

Just curious, why do you say "ask before you book"? I have asthma and use medication that render the YF vaccination contra-indicating for me. Therefore, I can't take the shot. I was able to go to Brazil on another line just by having my health card, signed by a physician stating that I can not take the shot. Does Silversea have a policy that I need to look into? I am booked on the 2012 Amazon cruise and don't want to have issues. Thanks.

Call your TA and have her contact SS regarding yellow fever shot. It is my understanding that if you have a letter from your doctor you need not have one. Holland America accepts this practice....assume all other ships do also.

In the US, if you qualify, after an assessment by the a doctor at a registered (CDC site will show where these are located) US YF vaccination center you will be issued a YF exemption certificate. You are issued the same yellow card goes in back of your passport, as if you had the YF shot but on the card is a stamp saying EXEMPT. For this Amazon voyage and the last segment of 2013 WC voyage (many unusual Africa ports that require a YF cert (e.g. Benin, Ghana, Limbe) wife will get the YF shot while I will get a YF exemption certificate since for the last ten years I cannot take a vaccination of any type (had an allergic reaction to the Army's annual flu shot in Dec 2002)

Our paperwork, issued on 27th September from Silversea in the UK says:

All guests must have an International Certificate of Vaccination for Yellow Fever, proir to embarkation. Guests must carry this certificate with the rest of their travel documents

The blurb at the top also says :

If any guest fails to obtain and to have such documents, that guest may be denied boarding & accommodation by Silversea or the guest may be disembarked during the voyage.

I didnt ask about any waver to this rule as it doesnt apply to us, but you must check first direct with Silversea what they say - and get it in writing!! I wouldnt go via my TA - I would email SS direct.

I would be so disapointed if we couldnt go...

Archived