Rome city to Civitavecchia and Civitavecchia to Rome Airport (FCO)

Shep_Proudfoot

Hi,

Just booked a Med cruise out of Rome (Civitavecchia) via an online agency and my reservation is apparently on hold per the Celebrity website for a few days, I assume until the transaction is finalized between Celebrity and the TA. That means I can't really do anything with my cruise on the Celebrity website, including looking up what transportation options Celebrity provides from the Rome city center to the port and the port to the airport. (I assume they provide some options here!)

Can anyone please confirm this is the case advise as to the approximate cost for the roundtrip? I have to say, I am a little shocked by how expensive the private car rate is and hope Celebrity will have a cheaper, shared alternative. Or if anyone can recommend a reliable private, shared shuttle (we are only two people) that would also be helpful.

Thanks.

Your best option is to take the transfers offered by the ship. Going from the ship docked in Citavecchia to Rome, there are no taxis available right where the ship docks. You have to walk with luggage to outside the port around 1/2 mile to a mile depending upon where the ship docks to the taxi stand.

Also, we were given a little sightseeing "tour" on the ride to/from the airport or Bernini Plaza in central Rome so it was an added plus.

You might be able to find a private car service if you do a google search or look on the some of the other cruiselines boards for other suggestions.:)

Your best option is to take the transfers offered by the ship. Going from the ship docked in Citavecchia to Rome, there are no taxis available right where the ship docks. You have to walk with luggage to outside the port around 1/2 mile to a mile depending upon where the ship docks to the taxi stand.

Also, we were given a little sightseeing "tour" on the ride to/from the airport or Bernini Plaza in central Rome so it was an added plus.

You might be able to find a private car service if you do a google search or look on the some of the other cruiselines boards for other suggestions.:)

Our private car service took us right to the boat and with his credentials could pick us up there.

She is right in that there is no queue for cabs but I can't imagine how much a cab would charge.

On your roll call there should be others looking for ride share. That's the most comfortable and the least expensive.

Rome Cabs is the ONLY way to go. Buses are efficient but who wants to ride a bus with luggage, etc?

Enjoy!

Use Rome Cabs - go to the thread for your cruise and see who might be able to share the ride(s) with you. We got 5 others to share a ride with us from the ship to the airport and cost was minimal. Much much cheaper than the ship's transfer.

Use Rome Cabs - go to the thread for your cruise and see who might be able to share the ride(s) with you. We got 5 others to share a ride with us from the ship to the airport and cost was minimal. Much much cheaper than the ship's transfer.

Absolute way to go!!!!

Rome Cabs is the ONLY way to go. Buses are efficient but who wants to ride a bus with luggage, etc?

Enjoy!

DD and I took the train, so there are other ways.... I guess we must be a real minority who do not mind riding a bus or train with luggage. I think it might have cost 7 euro's per person. Just so you know their are alternatives for those who do mind that kind of travelling.

FYI - One of our members found a private charter bus company in Rome that takes a whole bunch of people like about 26 or so to the ship for 23 euros p/p. The bus arranged a locally convenient site in the city and we are all going to meet the bus there. Since we are all coming in a few days prior, it works for our group. Post on the thread of the ship you are taking and I am sure someone can help or if you have time you could try and get some people to go on your bus.

C

The Rome Cabs web site contains no vehicle photos and no info on their vehicles. Are their vehicles high quality and large enough to carry lots of baggage? Will they make more than one hotel pick-up stop in Rome without extra cost before heading for the port?

I'm thinking of using them and would consider trying to put together a group as it would bring the per person cost down significantly.

The Rome Cabs web site contains no vehicle photos and no info on their vehicles. Are their vehicles high quality and large enough to carry lots of baggage? Will they make more than one hotel pick-up stop in Rome without extra cost before heading for the port?

I'm thinking of using them and would consider trying to put together a group as it would bring the per person cost down significantly.

Last fall, we used RomeCabs from the airport to our hotel and then to the port on another day. We had a Mercedes van as I recall, perfectly fine, and this company was a little less expensive than RomeInLimo, which we have used twice previously. Overall, I liked the RomeInLimo drivers better as they spoke fluent English, but RomeCabs drivers were very pleasant. Both companies are reliable.

I made the arrangements via their respective web sites and confirmed a few days before our transfers to be on the safe side. This method is a very easy way to travel with heavy bags, and, of course, the schedule will be to your liking. It's not inexpensive, but we prefer this method as it's easy and fool proof.

I can confirm that Celebrity's cost is about $90 per person, per direction (airport or town).

We've used romeinlimo before.....excellent company and costs are reasonable (especially if you pair up with another couple)....

Jack

DD and I took the train, so there are other ways.... I guess we must be a real minority who do not mind riding a bus or train with luggage. I think it might have cost 7 euro's per person. Just so you know their are alternatives for those who do mind that kind of travelling.

Be advised that you have to walk up and down many steps at the train station at Civitavecchia so if if you have lots of luggage.........

Also, at Rome Termini Stazione the Civitavecchia train frequently uses Track 29 which entails walking up two flights and then a long walk to the remote platform that services Track 29 and a few others.

Rome Cabs, RomeinLimo and all the others charge about 120 Euros plus tip for the pick up at the airport or the ship and to your desination. They meet you right at the ship or they wait for you as you come out from luggage pick up.

The price is about the same if you take it to and from Rome itself. That is, if you decide to spend a few days before or after the cruise in Rome (and I highly recommend that you do).

There are, as others have said, many ways and between now and your cruise you can explore the options.

• 3 weeks later...
Anything willing to share a taxi from FCO to Civitavecchia, on April 5, 2011? We arrive at the airport at around 11.45 AM. Party of 2.

Check the roll call boards for other Cruise Critic members on your specific cruise. You have a much better chance of finding someone to share your ride.

The train is definitely the way to go, but most Americans are not very comfortable with public transportation. I have been to Europe so many times, that I try to figure out how to work the train into part of the itinerary. Very efficient. That said, Italian trains have been known to be on strike so always have a backup plan. Rome doesn't have a great subway system, but it is still useful for getting around when you are walking the city. The key is traveling light as possible, and to be fit enough to haul your bags up a couple of flights of stairs (which is sometimes necessary).

jc

Hi,

Just booked a Med cruise out of Rome (Civitavecchia) via an online agency and my reservation is apparently on hold per the Celebrity website for a few days, I assume until the transaction is finalized between Celebrity and the TA. That means I can't really do anything with my cruise on the Celebrity website, including looking up what transportation options Celebrity provides from the Rome city center to the port and the port to the airport. (I assume they provide some options here!)

Can anyone please confirm this is the case advise as to the approximate cost for the roundtrip? I have to say, I am a little shocked by how expensive the private car rate is and hope Celebrity will have a cheaper, shared alternative. Or if anyone can recommend a reliable private, shared shuttle (we are only two people) that would also be helpful.

Thanks.

Try combining a few tours and transfers with Romeinlimo.com We've used them several years and always found their car service to be very reasonable. And they discount when purchasing multiple tours and transfers. We have shared transfers with people on our Roll Call. Easy! Good luck... it's worth the effort. It's a great place to cruise out of.

We used Italy cabs last Oct. Our contact was Marco and everything was great. He will help you out as best he can. We took a private car from the apt we rented in Rome to the port and back into Rome and they were waiting for us with a sign with our names on it.

Archived