hand luggage confusion

Lewing

I am quite confused on reading different threads, as to why you would need hand luggage on embarkment day. I just can't think what you might need apart from what is in your handbag, until you have access to your bags in the cabin.

Please enlighten me someone

Linda

I would never put jewellery, any other valuables or medication through the hole in the wall - it's rare, but it has been known for luggage to drop into the sea!

We always take such items with us, including swimwear if we think we might want to have a dip before the luggage arrives - which can be a few hours. And in the Caribbean or any other fly cruise, we would take change of clothes for the first evening as well.

I am quite confused on reading different threads, as to why you would need hand luggage on embarkment day. I just can't think what you might need apart from what is in your handbag, until you have access to your bags in the cabin.

Please enlighten me someone

Linda

a) valuables - money, cards, etc;

b) perhaps a book each;

c) our cameras & lenses - we both have DSLR outfits;

d) laptop or iPad;

e) binoculars, for use during the sail away;

f) I've read somewhere that P&O recommend taking suit carriers on board personally.

So it does add up a bit.

As people have said it pays to take such things as jewellery and medications with you, ie hand luggage, these things you might need before you get your cases.

Also some times your cases don't arrive before evening dinner, and some people like to change their cloths before going down to dinner.

We take a small rucksack which has a file with all the travel documents - three passports, insurance policy, tickets, excursion info, all take space.

It will also have sunglasses, cameras, a few pens, tissues and some toys for our daughter.

The rucksack is then handy for trips ashore.

I always carry on my cameras, ipod, medication and all jewellery and paperwork. Basically anything that is fragile or valuable or may be needed before my cases arrive. Because this can be heavy I use a small wheeled cabin case.

Some people will also want to carry on wine boxes etc, although I never bother.

I did watch one hand luggage bag go through the scanner and it revealed some tins of beer that had exploded !!!

we aren't flying - we are going from Southampton - people are talking about 'hand luggage' for taking on board which I can't see what you'd need

You will need hand luggage for the last morning onboard the ship. You put your large luggage outside your cabin the night before, so even if you don't need much in your hand luggage for boarding, you will have all your last morning bits and pieces to carry off the ship. :)

As people have said it pays to take such things as jewellery and medications with you, ie hand luggage, these things you might need before you get your cases.

Also some times your cases don't arrive before evening dinner, and some people like to change their cloths before going down to dinner.

Oh my goodness I'm glad you said that, so is it best to take the clothes to wear in the evening then and makeup I suppose? Is it common for bags not to turn up before dinner (we are on the 6.30 sitting) and we leaving from Southampton?

Is it common for bags not to turn up before dinner (we are on the 6.30 sitting) and we leaving from Southampton?

It is not uncommon for some not to arrive by first sitting I'm afraid. On our last Southampton cruise, all our luggage arrived, except for the one piece that had ALL the shoes and toiletries in - and that was eventually reunited with us when my husband tracked it down at around 7.30pm - on the completely wrong deck and at the other end of the ship!

Oh my goodness I'm glad you said that, so is it best to take the clothes to wear in the evening then and makeup I suppose? Is it common for bags not to turn up before dinner (we are on the 6.30 sitting) and we leaving from Southampton?

We were still looking for 1 case at 6pm. It was down the other end of our corridor. We managed to get ready in time, but lots of people didn't appear to have changed on the first evening.

The first night is noticeably the most casual, in terms of what people wear. Quite a lot of people don't bother changing, either because they don't have the time (if they arrived late then they could be straight into the muster drill almost as soon as they've boarded), or they're very tired: some of the coach passengers from northern England or Scotland might have been up since the early hours in order to get to the pick-up point in time for the coach. My wife makes sure she has makeup with her, but we don't bother taking a change of clothes in the hand luggage. If the bags turn up in time then we'll shower & change; if they don't, we'll go to dinner as we are.

On most occasions our bags have been at the cabin by about the time of the muster drill. That said, we tend to arrive early-ish.

We have a 2hr drive to Southampton and aim to be there mid-day and will be dressed suitably for a casual dining night anyway - will have everything I need in my handbag and my husbands shoulder bag so we'll be fine.

Don't want to have lots of things to hold or lug round till our cabins are read

Linday - want to be free to enjoy exploring the ship for the first time etc

On most occasions our bags have been at the cabin by about the time of the muster drill. That said, we tend to arrive early-ish.

I was hoping to arrive about 11.30 to 12ish, is the luggage normally loaded as you arrive or do they wait and load all at once? I guess it has to go through some sort of security scanners (at least I hope it does)

What exactly happens at muster drill and what time does it normally take place?

Slightly off subject but are there normally enough coat hangers in the cabins or is it best to take some extra with you?

Susan,

Luggage is loaded as soon as possible but is has to be transported to the the ship, then put on board, then up the lifts to the correct deck and then to your cabin so it may take an hour or two after you arrive. All luggage, including hand luggage is scanned.

The muster drill takes place at around 4pm at your muster point. Your muster point and directions to get there are on the back of your cabin door. Its lasts around 15 mins and they go through the evacuation procedure and how to put life jackets on.

If there are not enough coat hangers just ask your cabin steward for more.

Brian

a) valuables - money, cards, etc;

b) perhaps a book each;

c) our cameras & lenses - we both have DSLR outfits;

d) laptop or iPad;

e) binoculars, for use during the sail away;

f) I've read somewhere that P&O recommend taking suit carriers on board personally.

So it does add up a bit.

.......and not forgetting an empty butty box and flask from a long coach journey! And a change of clothes, last time our cases didn't show up 'til 8.30!

We have gone to the cabin to drop bags off before the official time, the steward was fine about it. We just couldn't use the cabin until later.

Carol x

I believe the cabins are 'not availablle' until 2pm is to stop passengers clogging the corridors as the stewards are trying to make up their cabins. You will notice how during the cruise there are always trolleys in the corridor with passengers squeezing passed and stewards making way for them.

If you had all the passengers wandering around, wrong deck, wrong side, wrong direction etc then there would have complete chaos.

Slightly off subject but are there normally enough coat hangers in the cabins or is it best to take some extra with you?

I always pack a few of the cheap plastic hangers with hooks for skirts etc as they can be left behind if necessary. Spare hangers from the steward can be horrible wire ones !

My apologies in advance if this has already been mentioned....

regarding bringing hand luggage and why:

occasionally embarkation can be delayed by an hour or more, and if one has to wait in the terminal, it's a good idea to have some items with you

(water, snack, etc.).

I have seen too often that passengers arrive expecting to get onboard

as usual to enjoy lunch, only to be told that boarding has been delayed (and so is lunch). They quickly become unhappy - they had assumed they could board on time, and were not prepared for any delay.

So best to be prepared...just in case. :)

My apologies in advance if this has already been mentioned....

regarding bringing hand luggage and why:

occasionally embarkation can be delayed by an hour or more, and if one has to wait in the terminal, it's a good idea to have some items with you

(water, snack, etc.).

I have seen too often that passengers arrive expecting to get onboard

as usual to enjoy lunch, only to be told that boarding has been delayed (and so is lunch). They quickly become unhappy - they had assumed they could board on time, and were not prepared for any delay.

So best to be prepared...just in case. :)

Thanks - that's worth knowing.

We will be on the transfers from Gatwick airport so won't know what time we'll get there so will make sure we have a few essentials with us.

Archived