Whale watching in Glacier Bay???

moonmama

Does anyone know if you can see whales from the Golden Princess on a June 8 arrival in Glacker Bay Alaska???? Or is it better to take a smaller boat from one of the docking cities in Alaska?

I believe Juneau will be a good time to book a small boat experience. Glacier Bay chance sightings... I can't recall seeing any.

Jan

We saw alot of whales in Glacier Bay....both coming into the bay in the morning and leaving in the afternoon/evening. In fact, our table on the Tahitian (now Ocean) Princess was right along the window at the stern, and one breached right out of the water in the wake as we ate dinner.

In some cases, it was amazing how close to shore they were.

We saw Orcas when we were leaving Glacier Bay last May on the Golden Princess. But to really see whales and enjoy them I would suggest a tour out of Juneau. We went with Harv and Marv and had a wonderful time.

It is possible that you could see whales anywhere in Alaska. If you get up early when the boat is in Icy Strait then you will likely see humpback whales. They feed in that area just outside of the entrance to Glacier Bay. You will likely see spouts and tail flukes in this area. You can also see them in Glacier Bay but likely at a long distance away and you will need binoculars.

If you would prefer to see them up close and possibly see some breaching then I would take a whale watching tour out of Juneau.

Enjoy your trip - Alaska is a beautiful place.

We are so looking forward to this. Our daughter and son in law purchased this for us because its been my life time dream to do an Alaska cruise. Unfortunatly, due to retirement benefits being cut in half, we are on a bit of a budget. If you have any suggestions please let me know. We are in an ubstructed view cabin right now because the balcony was way out of our price range. Did you enjoy the Golden?

The Golden is a great ship. The piazza is one of my favorite places. On our first Alaska cruise we had an inside cabin. Just get outside and spend as little time in your cabin as possible. You will need to be prepared for any type of weather in Alaska. You could experience all 4 seasons in 7 days.

I would suggest that you try and do one float plane trip somewhere along the way. The float plane is such a way of life for people in Alaska. We loved the Taku Glacier Lodge trip in Juneau. Since you are in Ketchikan for such a short time, you may want to just wander around town on your own or go see the totems. In Skagway I would look into the White Pass scenic railway. These are just a few suggestions.

Thank you so much for the information. We will take your advice on the tours and the packing!!! Our two other cruises were all warm weather and short, so this is all virgin territory for us. Your help is greatly appreciated.

It is possible that you could see whales anywhere in Alaska. If you get up early when the boat is in Icy Strait then you will likely see humpback whales. They feed in that area just outside of the entrance to Glacier Bay. You will likely see spouts and tail flukes in this area. You can also see them in Glacier Bay but likely at a long distance away and you will need binoculars.

If you would prefer to see them up close and possibly see some breaching then I would take a whale watching tour out of Juneau.

Enjoy your trip - Alaska is a beautiful place.

This is a post with partial information. Icy Striat can see humpbacks, but the success GREATLY depends on the DIRECTION. If you happen to be coming from Skagway or Juneau, you have an excellent chance of sightings- IF you have early daylight. I am up 1/2 hour prior to the posted dawn time, and always see humpbacks. Same for if you are GOING to Skagway or Juneau, stay out after you leave Glacier Bay (it will be about 3 hours after the glaciers, and shortly after dropping off the rangers.

The humpbacks can be seen for maybe the first hour or so of entrance into Glacier Bay. Most people bail out of "sight seeing" when the glaciers are over. Few people are out on decks. Forward viewing is a must for the best viewing and a good pair of wide angle binoculars. Overall, this is a full day of scenic opportunity that some may want to take advantage of.

As for breeching- this is a rare behavior to see. All you can expect on whale watches is to see blows, backs and tails- NOTHING more.

If you want to get close to the whales take a whale watching excursion.

The cruise ship is huge and you are about what 30-40ft above water line. The ship wont' chase or get close to whales, if you see it will be by chance and from further away than you can get on any of the excursions.

Happy whaling

Thanks for the info! Im going to copy it in my totally disorganized folder that I continue to work on. Sounds like persistance can pay off! I will keep the times in mind. Really appreciate all of your insight.

We are so looking forward to this. Our daughter and son in law purchased this for us because its been my life time dream to do an Alaska cruise. Unfortunatly, due to retirement benefits being cut in half, we are on a bit of a budget. If you have any suggestions please let me know. We are in an ubstructed view cabin right now because the balcony was way out of our price range. Did you enjoy the Golden?

Just a thought from someone who also enjoyed Alaska on a tight budget, did you consider an inside room and use the savings to enjoy excursions? We had an inside room on both of our Alaskan cruises and I probably saw more whales than anyone else on the ship! I tell everyone I had the largest balcony...the whole top deck! Get up early and you will have lots of whale sightings all to yourself. Just make sure you bring a camera so that others will believe you are telling the truth!

When are you going? I would be glad to share my tips of budget Alaska traveling if you want to send me your email.

By the way, you sure have a wonderful daughter and son in law!!

The room was already paid for as a gift. We are going on June 4th on the Golden Princess. Any advice at all would be so appreciated. The ship sounds so beautiful and the ports amazing. Would love to hear about your experiences.

We were fortunate last May to see humpbacks & orcas returning from Tracy Arm to Juneau. This was on the separate excursion which disembarked from the ship while in Tracy Arm. Saw both again whale watching with Harv & Marv in Juneau, & humpbacks & dall porpoise after leaving Skagway. The year before going into Glacier Bay was fogged in, but did see an otter, & then humpbacks & seals on the way out.

As for seeing Alaska on a budget, just keep reading & researching on the internet. There are walking tours in all the port towns, buses, or rent a car, especially in Skagway, & drive to Emerald Lake. You might be lucky & see a bear or mountain goat. Check out the Toursaver or Northern lights coupon books for buy one get one free tours.

Alaska is not a cheap vacation, but one you will never forget.:)

We saw quite a few whales at the entrance to Glacier Bay in May 2009. They we close enough to see with the naked eye, but far enough from the ship that you needed quite a zoom to get pictures. We saw whales every day from the ship, but many people we talked to hadn't seen any, we did put in our time watching though! I would go on a small boat tour for sure to get a much better upclose experience!

Archived