Creaks and bangs in cabins? Marina

LewiLewi

My brother recently returned from the Maiden Inaugural Trans atlantic cruise on the Marina. Overall, he loved the ship. However, his only complaint was that his stateroom (PH1) creaked and banged. He had the ships carpenters come up many times but the problem was never totally alleviated. Is this problem common to other cabins as well?

My brother recently returned from the Maiden Inaugural Trans atlantic cruise on the Marina. Overall, he loved the ship. However, his only complaint was that his stateroom (PH1) creaked and banged. He had the ships carpenters come up many times but the problem was never totally alleviated. Is this problem common to other cabins as well?

I don't know exactly what your brother experienced, but we were on deck 7 aft and our suite creaked and groaned in rough seas, but not offensively so. Some nights the winds were whipping through the veranda dividers which created some 'whistling' and 'moaning'.

Overall, our experience was pleasant creaking which will happen on ships with lots of wood fittings and is quite normal. I did hear of other guests commenting on 'banging' and some thought it might have been from the privacy dividers.

Oh yes - there was lots of noise. First day a creaking grew into a groan then eventually all that was ovecome with very loud noise. so loud it drowned out all the other squeeks including one from a separation doorway in the hall.

I reported it several times though not at first becasue I knew it could take a few days for the shakedowns to shake down. When I did report it I waited a couple more days as I knew they were very busy. Finally I was getting almost no sleep. Just a few hours at a time. I was wandering the ship at 4 am sitting in the atrium for lack of anything to do. Finally they did come and almost fixed it - one night of pleasant relief. We were not in the cabin when they came to fix it so it was a happy surprised when we walked in and immediatly noticed what wasn`t there! A quick snooze ensued.

The creaking started to come back though MUCH more tolerable. I reported it again and this time they got it silenced right away. I think there a bit of a learning curve for the crew as well to know where the various noise sources were and what to do to eliminate them.

As for the cabins all being repaired it is a matter of them working through all the cabins that needed the fix and then getting the right fix. The overwhelming creaking (I can`t think of a stronger description) started up overtop of the first creaking source and that one was a real problem.

I did not want to repeatedly report the problem as I try to be patient but if they do not know the fix did not fix it then it will never be fixed. The noise of course is only when at sea and then in some cases it may only be if the sea is a little rougher.

Hopefully they have now repaired the cabin your brother occupied. The worst noise was sleep depriving for me but was the sort of thing we anticpated on a maiden voyage. We too enjoyed Marina and the cruise.

We were in a veranda cabin at mid-ship on deck 9 on the inaugural voyage through the Panama Canal. We had no problem with creaks, groans or banging...unless, of course, we didn't have our closet door completely shut. It would slide open if not attached at both ends with the magnets that are there. As a matter of fact, our room was so quiet that I commented about it the last day - we didn't even hear any noise when the crew was removing the luggage the last night. I'm guessing that most of the noise is just a matter of luck...or bad luck...until they get all the construction glitches resolved.

We were in 1077 and no creaks and groans. Major vibration on docking and leaving. We did not call anyone as we assumed vibration was unfixable. Any other time stateroom was wonderful.

Jancruz1

We were in 10077 and no creaks and groans. Major vibration on docking and leaving. We did not call anyone as we assumed vibration was unfixable. Any other time stateroom was wonderful.

Jancruz1

We were in 10077 and no creaks and groans. Major vibration on docking and leaving. We did not call anyone as we assumed vibration was unfixable. Any other time stateroom was wonderful.

Jancruz1

We were a few cabins down the hall from Jan (Closer to the Stern) and dependant on the ships speed, the room varied between the quietest that we've ever encountered, and just "the normal" sounds and vibrations of being at sea.

We're very excited about trying the Marina Class in Europe, because at under 14 knots, she rode like ball bearings over satin. :D

We were in 7108 (the first rearward cabinb witha wide balcony) on the Maiden Voyage and didn't hear any creaking or bangs, but their was a harmonic resonance with the crew elevator across the hall that caused a hum when it was running. We didn't bother to report it because it didn't especially annoy us, and it only happened when the room attendants were working -- never at night, and usually while we were out of the cabin.

However, I understand that the folks who resided in that cabin on the Miami - San Francisco cruise did report the noise and I heard that it was inspected, but I didn't hear of any resolution.

We were in 9026 on the Miami - San Francisco leg, and their was a persistent tapping near the outer wall when the seas were rough -- but not often. Again, it was tolerable, so we didn't report it. If I had to guess, it either had something to do with the balcony partitions, or something -- perhaps leftover from construction -- was loose enough inside the wall to swing when the seas got a bit rough.

If it's fixable, they'll eventually get to it. I considered it part of the adventure of sailing on a new ship.

I do want to be clear in case it was lost in my earlier, far too long, post the noise was eventually way beyond beyond a creak or a groan BUT my main point is that the crew fixed it. After all that is what matters to me. Not that there was a problem but that there was a problem that was fixed. As Don wrote, it is part of the adventure and what an enjoyable, memorable advenure it was.

We were on the Maiden Voyage in Cabin 10016 and when we were in turbulent waters outside of Malaga, there was creaking and banging. Once the the rough seas calmed down, it was quiet. When we joined the Innaugural Voyage in Cabin 9145, all was quiet.

We were in 9026 on the Miami - San Francisco leg, and their was a persistent tapping near the outer wall when the seas were rough -- but not often. Again, it was tolerable, so we didn't report it. ............

If it's fixable, they'll eventually get to it............ .

If I almost got tripped by a rolled up edge of a ripped carpet on a ship, I would report it to management so it can be fixed, and not let it remain a danger for the next passenger walking over it.

While I did not get hurt, another passenger may not have the same outcome. Waiting for disaster to happen is not an option for me.

What is tolerable noise for one ( perhaps with impaired hearing as this is part of the normal aging process ) may be torture for another (with normal hearing).

Reporting deficiencies in the cabin is not just for one's comfort, it is also for the benefit of the next occupant and helps Oceania maintain its excellence.

Thanks for all the feedback. We will check again in a few months to see if the cabins are quiet. I'm a light sleeper, so noise will bother me. We never had any problems on the Insignia. Hopefully, the Marina will have any noise problems alleviated in time.

I reported it several times though not at first becasue I knew it could take a few days for the shakedowns to shake down. When I did report it I waited a couple more days as I knew they were very busy. Finally I was getting almost no sleep...............

As for the cabins all being repaired it is a matter of them working through all the cabins that needed the fix and then getting the right fix. ......

I did not want to repeatedly report the problem as I try to be patient but if they do not know the fix did not fix it then it will never be fixed. .. ......

Mark, I fully understand your point , and truly admire your patience. You are the kind of passenger Oceania wants.

Without going into specifics, I can tell you there were problems.

As you had repeatedly said, the important thing is that they fixed it. Realizing the magnitude of the problem, Oceania flew in 4 carpenters to board the ship in Tenerife to fix the creaking and banging noises of the cabins. That, is what good management does.

We were in 10018 during the maiden voyage and encountered some creaking in the ceiling the first couple of nights, but it abated and we had no other issues at all during our voyage.

We did, however, encounter the Concierge, Bruno, outside a nearby cabin a few days before we disembarked, and he asked us directly if we were experiencing any problems. So, I do believe all the crew onboard were doing their best to address the issues expressed by passengers, and I believe they will continue to do so until all the "bugs" are worked out.

If I almost got tripped by a rolled up edge of a ripped carpet on a ship, I would report it to management so it can be fixed, and not let it remain a danger for the next passenger walking over it.

While I did not get hurt, another passenger may not have the same outcome. Waiting for disaster to happen is not an option for me.

What is tolerable noise for one ( perhaps with impaired hearing as this is part of the normal aging process ) may be torture for another (with normal hearing).

Reporting deficiencies in the cabin is not just for one's comfort, it is also for the benefit of the next occupant and helps Oceania maintain its excellence.

Thank you for your input.

We were in cabin 8077 on the maiden voyage and we, too, heard lots of creaks and banging of sorts around the veranda door on the first night. The next evening, we ate with a couple who said they slipped some cardboard between the layers of plastic (?) sheathing above the door area and that stopped the sound. We tried it and it worked. Our cabin was quiet from then on. We also reported the problem to reception and they added our cabin number to their long list.

I smashed my finger in the closet door the first day when I was hanging clothes. The medical office checked it out and gave me a disposable ice pack to keep down the swelling. They called the next day to make sure I was all right. A few days later, a maintenance man came in and put a screw in the door to act as a stopper so the doors wouldn't overlap and trap fingers.

None of the above detracted from us having a wonderful time on this great ship. Over the years, we have moved into newly constructed houses and condos and the punch lists have been long. It's to be expected.

We were in 8062 on the Maiden Vogage. I am very hearing impaired and did not notice any thing. My husband has good hearing and did not notice anything. Our concern was more the temperature in our cabin (too warm). This cruise will be one of or perhaps is the most enjoyable and beautiful we have ever experienced, even with the rough sea days around Malaga.

We were in 9038 on MIA to SF, & had some slight, but persistent, rattling noises that seemed to come from the horizontal mounting for the draperies over the verandah door. We called about it but were told nothing could be done. More mysterious was the sound, only on one night, of what (truly!) sounded like a basketball being dribbled on the verandah!

It was a fantastic cruise because of all the fantastic people from CC, and the Marina crew who were, from top to bottom, outstanding!

11010 0n the maiden voyage. Not a peep was heard but we froze the first day. Within an hour of notifying our stewardess, the very efficient and personable Jaha, staff were in the room and the temperature controls were regulated.

I am curious. Does the Marina seem to be kept at a cool temperature in the public areas, especially the dinningrooms?

Thank you.

Probably. I'ne noticed a number of comments from pax who felt it was cool. I did not notice that (hmmm, perhaps once in a mostly empty room), but in hindsight I usually find it too warm on the R ships especially in GDR but it was comfortable for me on Marina. Based on that I'd say for me it was wasn't too warm and so possibly cool for others. (Sorry for a reply with all the ambiguity of an opinion of a personal preference)

We were on the inaugural passage and the ship was very cool the first few days, especially the Marina lounge. Following the mid cruise comments, the temperature was raised 2 degrees C and it was much more comfortable. That being said, there were many nights that I was warm in the restaurants and took my jacket off. I am contributing the warmth to the wine, not the temperature of the room.

As you know, temperatures are a very subjective matter.

Archived