Fuel surcharge ??

number8

I wish people would stop asking questions where there is a possibility of an unwanted answer. I have 6 cruises booked and any rise in price would cause concern. Don't believe we're giving any ideas to X, but if we feel a need to respond we should make clear the impact on consumers. No more on this topic! Out!

Do you really think they monitor this forum and would implement any surcharge based on this discussion. Besides if you can afford to book 6 cruises, I would imagine that you could afford the additional costs.

We have some older couples going along with us in a few weeks and it would be nice to know if this had already happened on any ships recently so we can let them know in advance.

I think that this will be inevitable. Best to add it in as a mental cost now and be pleasantly surprised if it doesn't happen.

Espcially since some lines have started. Maybe the mass market lines will ignore it for now.

Here's hoping not since I will be cruising in May.

When they did this a few years ago, it seems like if you made final payment by a certain date, even it was not due, you avoided the fuel surcharge.

Anyone remember the exact details?

That does not apply with the current policy; the cruise contract now states they may invoke a fuel surcharge even if a deposit and/or final payment has been made. The old cruise contract stated that one's fare would not increase once a deposit was made aside from for government taxes and fees.

That does not apply with the current policy; the cruise contract now states they may invoke a fuel surcharge even if a deposit and/or final payment has been made. The old cruise contract stated that one's fare would not increase once a deposit was made aside from for government taxes and fees.

Eric, we'll be in Chicago in May visiting our Son. Maybe we can get together and have a drink!

I have your email and will stay in touch!

Eric, we'll be in Chicago in May visiting our Son. Maybe we can get together and have a drink!

I have your email and will stay in touch!

Sounds good; drop me an e-mail. It would be nice to see you again. :)

Do you really think they monitor this forum and would implement any surcharge based on this discussion. Besides if you can afford to book 6 cruises, I would imagine that you could afford the additional costs.

We have some older couples going along with us in a few weeks and it would be nice to know if this had already happened on any ships recently so we can let them know in advance.

Um, actually, I wouldn't say they "monitor" these boards, but they absolutely do read them. If people keep posting that "it's inevitable" or "it's just a matter of time" I think the cruiselines will feel that people are expecting it and may factor it into their decision. I'm not saying it will be their sole deciding factor, but if people sound like they are waffling and aren't voicing an opinion that it would cause them to reconsider cruising, they may feel it wouldn't be too detrimental to their company if they impose the fees again.

I for one would be really upset. I took a land based vacation the past two years because of the higher prices to fly to ports and the imposed gas taxes. I finally booked a 14 night cruise and am so looking forward to it. I sure don't need to add another $140+ per person onto the cost.

If I remember correctly the lines have hedged quite a substancial amount so they are not going to be hit be this immeadeately..... If the problem persists I bet we will see a slight hike in all pricing instead of adding a fuel surcharge to exisitng bookings since that caused such a fuss the last time. However if the situation does get substancially worse they might be forced to start adding anyway since bear in mind many cruises are basically sold out loooong before the cruise actually is paid for or takes place.

Their website talks about certain dates each quarter which determined refunds on fuel supplements a few years ago. I wonder if these dates are used to determine implementing new ones--if so the next date is right around the corner--March 18.

Quarter of Possible Fuel Supplement RefundsDecember 18, 2008First quarter 2009March 18, 2009Second quarter 2009June 17, 2009Third quarter 2009September 17, 2009Fourth quarter 2009December 18, 2009First quarter 2010March 18, 2010Second quarter 2010June 17, 2010Third quarter 2010September 17, 2010Fourth quarter 2010

Their website talks about certain dates each quarter which determined refunds on fuel supplements a few years ago. I wonder if these dates are used to determine implementing new ones--if so the next date is right around the corner--March 18.

No, that is an old outdated policy. There are no quarterly dates in the current policy.

Didnt they add the surcharge to the Onboard Charges at the end of the cruise? At least that is the way I remember it from several years ago.

Last time I had to pay a fuel surcharge the money was due at final payment time.

I wonder when its safe to assume there will be no additional charge for fuel?

Apparently they can asssess you after your final payment.

Can they assess you once you are on the ship at the end? Surprise Surpise?

Wish it was like the airlines and after final payment there are no additional fees due.

Wonder what UCC says about this? If once final payment is made if its legal to change the contract and add additional fees.

S

I wonder when its safe to assume there will be no additional charge for fuel?

Apparently they can asssess you after your final payment.

Can they assess you once you are on the ship at the end? Surprise Surpise?

Wish it was like the airlines and after final payment there are no additional fees due.

Wonder what UCC says about this? If once final payment is made if its legal to change the contract and add additional fees.

S

Since the contract says they can add a fuel surcharge after final payment has been made, I am not sure why you would think it might not be legal. Those are the terms you agree to when booking. It is not completely safe until your cruise ends (in terms of possibly assessing a fuel surcharge) but my guess is that they are unlikely to hit people with a fuel surcharge on real short notice (i.e. if they were to announce a fuel surcharge, my guess is there would be a bit of a grace period before it was to start).

FYI, I believe some of the airlines reserve the right to tack on fuel surcharges after payment has been made.

I wish people would stop asking questions where there is a possibility of an unwanted answer. I have 6 cruises booked and any rise in price would cause concern. Don't believe we're giving any ideas to X, but if we feel a need to respond we should make clear the impact on consumers. No more on this topic! Out!

You must be kidding. Do you really think that any cruise line is going to see a post on these boards and say "why didn't we think of that" and add the surcharge?

I am fairly certain that senior management is addressing this question on a daily if not hourly basis. Balancing the increase of revenue that the surcharge would bring short term with the loss of revenue that reduced bookings will cause long term. After all the total dollars determine if people cruise or not. If the surcharge is enacted all future bookings will be impacted by the increase.

One other thing to look at would be the cancellation rate of cruises that are booked but outside the penalty window. This would offset the increase if the cancellation rate was high enough.

Archived