Live from the Oosterdam Mch 5-12 sailing

Spinner2

Joining the Oosterdam this Saturday.... I'm betting they'll have a big cleaning 'party' before the new passengers board, if you're still Code Red that is.

Looking forward to sunshine. Was it warm the first 2 seas days, down to Mexico?

Spinner: CD John Mann:

He was here when we were in October and we'd assumed he was assigned here but he says not; he came back onboard when we did last Saturday (has been on the Statendam) and says right now he's "floating" (no pun!) and handling vacation leaves. I'll find out how long he'll be here. We like him a lot too; He ad Matt Allen are among the ones I find the most congenial.

I posted earlier from my IPHONE thanking you for finding out about John Mann's contract but I accidentally posted in with your quote, so you probably didn't see it.

Just wanted to let you know how grateful I am for any info from the ship as we are so excited about our upcoming cruise!:D

Canuck

Spinner, re the $$$ tour of the ship, did you have to sign up for this upon boarding? How did you find out about it?

When we were on the O in December the captain told us there was no such tour and he had no idea when or if they'd offer it.

Thanks so much for the live info. Hope you all have a great time.

Like so many other people, we're really interested in seeing if you still stop at Mazatlan. As of right now, HAL is the only cruise line stopping in Mazatlan. If you do stop in Mazatlan, we hope you have a good, safe time.

CD John Mann told me this evening that he can't take credit for the "new" show times--moving the last show to 10 pm--it's a "corporate thing" that they are going to try for awhile. I may hear more later; he had to dash to the mike to close showtime.

After showtime tonight was "adult comedy" featuring Andrew Norelli. Really, really fun. Everybody enjoyed this one I think!

Code Red continues . . . still, having a great time.

The pricey tour of the ship? My DH heard about it someplace right after we boarded; signed up at the front desk. That's all I know about it; will report after it happens.

Four shot dead in Mexican bar's parking lot

2011-03-09 09:50:00

, March 9 (IANS/EFE) At least four people were killed and seven wounded when gunmen attacked them in the parking lot of a bar in northwestern Mexico, officials said.

The attack occurred Tuesday in the parking lot of the bar in Mazatlan, a resort city, Sinaloa state Attorney General's Office spokesmen said.

Over the weekend, seven police officers and three gunmen died in two shootouts in Sinaloa.

Sinaloa is the home of a drug trafficking organisation run by Joaquin 'El Chapo' (Shorty) Guzman, considered Mexico's most powerful criminal.

Guzman, who was arrested in Guatemala in 1993, pulled off a Hollywood-style jailbreak when he escaped from high-security prison in the western state of Jalisco in 2001.

More than 35,000 people have died since President Felipe Calderon declared war on the country's cartels shortly after taking office in December 2006

:mad:

Wineman Visalia:

Given your repeated postings about the dangers of Mazatlan, one wonders why are you still in Visalia? It appears to be a hotbed of crime, safer than only 3% of all the cities in the United States, with above average murder and rape rates, a robbery rate 40% above the national average, and where one is almost three times more likely to be physically assaulted than anywhere else in the United States.

Spinner2:

Thanks for the live updates about your cruise. Given your anticipation and enthusiasm, getting stuck with a Code Red seems so unfair. It doesn't add to the luster of your experience, although it does go a long way to protecting your health. You seem like one of those who can roll with the punches, and overcome any disappointments and inconveniences along the way. Hoping you end up creating what will in the future many fond memories of a wonderful cruise.

winemanvisalia is tribute to father in law who lived in visalia and retired from wine business successfully...when he died he left us some money which enables us to cruise...

now to the point of mazatlan...ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME?...ALL CRUISE LINES HAVE STOPPED GOING TO MAZATLAN BECAUSE OF POTENTIAL DANGER AND YOU CARE THAT I CARE...

by the way, we have gone to mexico over 50 times by ship and we are saddened by this spate of violence...we have friends there and it pains us but we wont go there anymore...

okay, go back to your ironing....

:>))

Wineman Visalia:

Given your repeated postings about the dangers of Mazatlan, one wonders why are you still in Visalia? It appears to be a hotbed of crime, safer than only 3% of all the cities in the United States, with above average murder and rape rates, a robbery rate 40% above the national average, and where one is almost three times as likely to be physically assaulted than anywhere else in the United States.

miss ironin..don't live in visalia..

winemanvisalia is tribute to father in law who lived in visalia and retired from wine business successfully...when he died he left us some money which enables us to cruise...

now to the point of mazatlan...ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME?...ALL CRUISE LINES HAVE STOPPED GOING TO MAZATLAN BECAUSE OF POTENTIAL DANGER AND YOU CARE THAT I CARE...

by the way, we have gone to mexico over 50 times by ship and we are saddened by this spate of violence...we have friends there and it pains us but we wont go there anymore...

okay, go back to your ironing....

:>))

I asked you a simple question based on the erroneous assumption that your screen name indicated your abode. I now know I was wrong.

Your response begins with an equally invalid assumption and then deteriorates into sarcasm and personal insult. As such, I see no point in continuing this conversation.

We are in Mazatlan today. Captain slipped her into the dock a bit after 8am despite a thick fog. Definitely seems like more people stayed on board today... but saw plenty heading into town as well. Heavy polica presence just outside the pier and for awhile a military style chopper was circling low overhead. We planned to go over to Stone Island - our usual hangout at Letty's - but the fog bank hasn't cleared the coast at 11:30... so there's no incentive. It seems to be sunnier here at the ship. Code Red is still in effect... which means the hot tubs are still closed as well and you have tofind someone to get a towel for you... they're not in the normal places.

Still having a fantastic time aboard!

We are in Mazatlan today. Captain slipped her into the dock a bit after 8am despite a thick fog. Definitely seems like more people stayed on board today... but saw plenty heading into town as well. Heavy polica presence just outside the pier and for awhile a military style chopper was circling low overhead. We planned to go over to Stone Island - our usual hangout at Letty's - but the fog bank hasn't cleared the coast at 11:30... so there's no incentive. It seems to be sunnier here at the ship. Code Red is still in effect... which means the hot tubs are still closed as well and you have tofind someone to get a towel for you... they're not in the normal places.

Still having a fantastic time aboard!

Thanks edit4fever for reporting live. Very surprised that the Oosterdam is still going to Maz in light of, again, more violence in the last few days.

Found out this info posted on the Mexican Riviera board -

10 killed on the weekend in Mazatlan (7 cops and 3 civilians) and 6 killed and 20 wounded yesterday (Tuesday) at a popular disco in Mazatlan.

http://mazmessenger.com/2011/03/08/five-killed-in-early-morning-attack-at-local-night-club/

When all the other cruiselines have pulled out - why oh why is the Oosterdam still going?

Hope you have a safe enjoyable day.

Canuck

Thanks edit4fever for reporting live. Very surprised that the Oosterdam is still going to Maz in light of, again, more violence in the last few days.

Found out this info posted on the Mexican Riviera board -

10 killed on the weekend in Mazatlan (7 cops and 3 civilians) and 6 killed and 20 wounded yesterday (Tuesday) at a popular disco in Mazatlan.

http://mazmessenger.com/2011/03/08/five-killed-in-early-morning-attack-at-local-night-club/

When all the other cruiselines have pulled out - why oh why is the Oosterdam still going?

Hope you have a safe enjoyable day.

Canuck

My sentiments exactly! I am sure the powers to be (HAL) are constantly evaluating the situation, however, it would seem logical that if the majority of the passengers are not going ashore, this would be a critical factor in following suit of the other cruise lines.

My sentiments exactly! I am sure the powers to be (HAL) are constantly evaluating the situation, however, it would seem logical that if the majority of the passengers are not going ashore, this would be a critical factor in following suit of the other cruise lines.

Or maybe they want us to stay onboard which would equal more onboard revenue for them:D

Either way - Carnival has pulled out and they own HAL - so it is very puzzling:confused:

Canuck

Or maybe they want us to stay onboard which would equal more onboard revenue for them:D

Either way - Carnival has pulled out and they own HAL - so it is very puzzling:confused:

Canuck

It is, indeed!

I know there are a lot of posts since I was here last evening; I've pulled the pages and I'll read them offline to save my internet dollars!

Meanwhile here's an interesting adventure:

Our plan had been to stay aboard the ship for Mazatlan day; we'd been here recently and the recent difficulties didn't inspire us to do anything at all. But my DH wandered into the terminal on a checking-things-out trip and was back in 15 minutes with interesting news

The Mazatlan Tourist Board has put together teams of volunteers. They mostly seemed Americans living in Mazatlan when we spoke with them, certainly all of them spoke excellent English. The first of the group are right at the gangway, they have maps that show specifics of the walking tour they encourage and they were very helpful.

As you follow the route recommended you'll come to blue archways, convertible cars with signs on the doors, tables with blue banners, and the blue-shirted VOLUNTEER persons. They'll answer questions, point you toward safe streets, etc. We felt totally comfortable as we walked perhaps 3-4 miles, going to see the opera house, the big church that you can see from the ship (Ash Wednesday today so the church plaza was crowded) and the public market. I would highly recommend this walking tour; plan on about 2-3 hours to see it all. Or you could just go part-way, to the plaza where the church is.

Tips from the Volunteers:

1. Wear good walking shoes or closed-toe/heel shoes; the very rough streets with varying curb heights and cuts in the sidewalk to shape drainage make heels, strappy sandal, flip-flops, etc. very unsuitable.

2. Watch your head and your feet; if you are walking near a building, watching your step, you may bump your head on a protruding electrical box or low air conditioner.

3. The opera house will ask for 12 pesos to enter but with enough conversation (mostly by you; the entry person spoke no English!) he will accept a U.S. dollar or two; it's a fascinating building and you can wander around pretty much on your own. Everything else we saw was free to enter.

4. There are cabs to take you back to the ship if you don't wish to walk; you might ask one of the Volunteers to help you.

5. The Volunteers are interesting to talk to; you'll learn more about ordinary life in Mazatlan if you chat with them and they seemed very willing to do that.

The Volunteers start closing up shop about 1 or 2 in the afternoon; by then almost everyone has stopped their wandering from the ship for the day. Plan to go in the morning for maximum assistance.

I'll post some photos of the personnel and their arches and vehicles when we get home; I don't think I can use the internet economically to do that.

I know there are a lot of posts since I was here last evening; I've pulled the pages and I'll read them offline to save my internet dollars!

Meanwhile here's an interesting adventure:

Our plan had been to stay aboard the ship for Mazatlan day; we'd been here recently and the recent difficulties didn't inspire us to do anything at all. But my DH wandered into the terminal on a checking-things-out trip and was back in 15 minutes with interesting news

The Mazatlan Tourist Board has put together teams of volunteers. They mostly seemed Americans living in Mazatlan when we spoke with them, certainly all of them spoke excellent English. The first of the group are right at the gangway, they have maps that show specifics of the walking tour they encourage and they were very helpful.

As you follow the route recommended you'll come to blue archways, convertible cars with signs on the doors, tables with blue banners, and the blue-shirted VOLUNTEER persons. They'll answer questions, point you toward safe streets, etc. We felt totally comfortable as we walked perhaps 3-4 miles, going to see the opera house, the big church that you can see from the ship (Ash Wednesday today so the church plaza was crowded) and the public market. I would highly recommend this walking tour; plan on about 2-3 hours to see it all. Or you could just go part-way, to the plaza where the church is.

Tips from the Volunteers:

1. Wear good walking shoes or closed-toe/heel shoes; the very rough streets with varying curb heights and cuts in the sidewalk to shape drainage make heels, strappy sandal, flip-flops, etc. very unsuitable.

2. Watch your head and your feet; if you are walking near a building, watching your step, you may bump your head on a protruding electrical box or low air conditioner.

3. The opera house will ask for 12 pesos to enter but with enough conversation (mostly by you; the entry person spoke no English!) he will accept a U.S. dollar or two; it's a fascinating building and you can wander around pretty much on your own. Everything else we saw was free to enter.

4. There are cabs to take you back to the ship if you don't wish to walk; you might ask one of the Volunteers to help you.

5. The Volunteers are interesting to talk to; you'll learn more about ordinary life in Mazatlan if you chat with them and they seemed very willing to do that.

The Volunteers start closing up shop about 1 or 2 in the afternoon; by then almost everyone has stopped their wandering from the ship for the day. Plan to go in the morning for maximum assistance.

I'll post some photos of the personnel and their arches and vehicles when we get home; I don't think I can use the internet economically to do that.

Great info! Thanks! Look forward to the pics.

Thanks for the Mazatlan information and safety tips! I have heard some talk about HAL pulling out of Mazatlan but it seems they have not started as of yet.

Keep up the great reporting......I am getting very excited!

Thanks!

Julie

As we depart Mazatlan we've been informed that Code Red (although of course they don't call it that!) is being lifted; containment procedures have been highly successful. Food won't be self-serv in the Lido just yet but apparently everything else is going back to normal. At least this is what I understand from the message.

Excellent news! For both this sailing and the one following. I did notice the Spa closed a couple of hours ago; a "Super Sanitizing" sign up. The gym side was open but the other side was closed.

Edit4Ever, thanks for adding to this "blog"; I'd love to meet you; call us; our cabin # is 7068.

Spinner 2 - great posts - great info and following like a bee drawn to honey :) Glad you got off the boat and did the port - good for you - cudos :D

We need to take care wherever we get off - thank you again for sharing and have a great cruise :):)

Archived